Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220558 times)

Esquivel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1620 on: December 06, 2016, 03:15:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
So ran my new Thunder team 149's with no risers and F4 56mm conical fulls. It wasn't too bad stock (clear yellow) bushings are very mushy feeling & the wheel bite wasn't too bad. Every board I've had has wheel rub marks on it though so I didn't think twice about that. If these bushings don't work out I'll throw in some Indy reds.

But going from some Indy stage 7or8 to Thunder with no risers was strange, any pop that had feels like it's gone, and I couldn't get a nose slide to work at all. Is the geometry so much different that it would affect the nose/tail slides? And being low is strange, I will be adding some risers, but I'll give it a few more sessions as is before any changes get made. Do you guys feel like you can get good pop from low boards like this?
[close]

*raises hand* I've recently been in the same boat so here is my advice/ what I've learned:
1. someone on here mentioned it, but just run with those standard bushings for 3 or 4 sessions without touching them and they'll eventually break in (they suck in the beginning). I have confirmed this and recently gave them one full turn and they are definitely not mushy anymore.
2. pop sucks if your coming from indys, like seriously sucks. I was floundering around on my board looking like a clown. After my 4th sesh on them it seems like my body has adjusted to the timing. They also lengthen up your wheelbase too which will fuck with your head ... heavily!
3. Haven't noticed that much of a difference in the noseslide dept. but I've already got mine on some 1/8 risers (w/ 54mm wheels) which probably puts them at the same height as old skool indys

[close]

I really don't know how people can ride thunders without risers, unless your trucks are tight as fuck. Even tried 51mm wheels, and they still bit hard for me (and that's at like medium looseness).

Was always kind of hesitant towards risers, but thunder 149's with a little 1/8th pad turn beautifully. Get's you a little more pop too. But that's for my 54mm wheels. If I was riding 56+, I'd prolly consider 1/4th risers (seems high, but really it's the same as reg Indy's with 1/8th pads).

I am on the opposite side. The reason i ride thunders is because of them being very low even though i learnt to skate with old school boards, 60+mm wheels with riser pads and all. Now I am mainly using 52mm wheels that i wear down to about 47mm and that's when my set up feels more on point. I used to ride indys all the time in the early 90's but in the last 10-15 years if i get anything but the low ones my pop is totally gone. My timing gets fucked and when i pop the tip hardly hits the ground. I figured this especially happens when i don't have to pop THAT high i.e. trying a switch nose manual on a very low pad. The subtle pop that is needed simply never occurs. Never had noticable issues with wheelbite and even in this case i will just smear some wax over the bite marks on my board.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1621 on: December 06, 2016, 04:18:22 AM »
That's how I feel, need that lowered truck for quicker pop response
yes

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1622 on: December 06, 2016, 05:38:22 AM »
Anyone tried the super soft (white) Indy aftermarket bushings? I just ordered some to try to get these krux k4s to turn. Still baffled by these plastic shitty bushings everyone swears by.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1623 on: December 06, 2016, 06:19:37 AM »

However, every time i see someone ollie higher than me they are always riding a bigger set up. Higher trucks (indy standards are very popular in my area -either this or destructo), bigger board/wheels. Makes my kit look weak haha. I usually think that i should join the club at some point but right now i just want to enjoy my time skating.
Expand Quote
[close]

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1624 on: December 06, 2016, 07:10:36 AM »
Yeah I can appreciate why people like thunders the way they are. the lower pop feels great for certain things, but personally I need more turn. Also definitely am not someone who can naturally pop high, so I take any advantage I can get. Get me some Thunders with 1/8th risers and it just feels good when I smack that tail on the ground.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1625 on: December 06, 2016, 07:27:40 AM »
I went the safe route and have been riding my Venture 5.25 lows again. No slight against Thunder either, pleasantly surprised by how they ride. I just feel more natural on my ventures. I even went as far as to buy a Venture hoodie and long sleeve to solidify my decision (for the time being, until I change my mind again and then have to buy a Thunder hoodie and long sleeve). I think I just need to stay in this safe realm for now due to my lack of consistent skate time. I may be regular but I actually find the venture low 5.25 and thunder hi 147 to feel pretty similar minus the stock bushings (I don't like changing bushings but I have 2 sets of supercush in case I ever get sassy). If I can start getting more regular skate time I will probably go back n forth between brands though. I almost feel like a traitor for my lack of interest in Indy as I was "one of those guys" for most of my "career". I just can't skate them like I used to

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1626 on: December 06, 2016, 08:28:50 AM »
Anyone tried the super soft (white) Indy aftermarket bushings? I just ordered some to try to get these krux k4s to turn. Still baffled by these plastic shitty bushings everyone swears by.

I don't think it's the bushings man. I had Krux and thought the bushings were way too soft, but the trucks still didn't really turn very deep at all. Krux bushings in Ace was terrible IMO. Way too soft and turned deep as fuck with the slightest movement. But on Krux they were just unstable in the middle and but still didn't give me a proper turn. I suggest you get Aces instead if you wanna turn.

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1627 on: December 06, 2016, 09:10:02 AM »

I guess I have to get the timing & feeling down, the bushing issue will work itself out.

calvinsdream

« Reply #1628 on: December 06, 2016, 10:18:04 AM »

YES. They're awesome - very surfy and responsive. I expected they would blow out quick but they're my #2 choice now (blue conicals being the first).

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1629 on: December 06, 2016, 10:28:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

YES. They're awesome - very surfy and responsive. I expected they would blow out quick but they're my #2 choice now (blue conicals being the first).

The Indy 88a are fantastic.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1630 on: December 06, 2016, 09:34:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

However, every time i see someone ollie higher than me they are always riding a bigger set up. Higher trucks (indy standards are very popular in my area -either this or destructo), bigger board/wheels. Makes my kit look weak haha. I usually think that i should join the club at some point but right now i just want to enjoy my time skating.

i know what you mean about getting giant pop cause the angle of higher bigger stuff helps get you up and over but truthfully if you look at the guys who can get crazy pop some of them ride lower stuff(low trucks, small wheels) like luis tolentino, the guy rode 145 thunder lows and some how pops over the tallest things.

i feel pop really just comes from board feel and how far back you position your front foot to drag the board up higher and energy you put into it. back in the mid 2000 when i was skating all day every day i rode krux 3.5/7.6 downlows and could ollie 4-5 decks tall, it was all in how you try to rocket your pop up and over/popping your hardest and evening out your board at the tip top you could best.

higher trucks do help but i say, if you have a good feeling setup that gives you the best boardfeel and response you can do anything you put your mind to, cause you know. skating is 90% mental or some hocus pocus those guys who rip and ride crappy boards do it and how those little kids are able to kickflip a set on a board with no tail and barely a nose haha

always the supposed, ride what you like and just enjoy skating. but we slap posters arent here for that mumbo jumbo. we want the best gear and feedback on what we dont have
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1631 on: December 06, 2016, 10:38:34 PM »
Pop has nothing to do with kit. It is your ability to ollie, you either have it or you don't.

As I age, the one constant is my pop, I can still clear about the same height now as I could then, regardless of truck height and wheel size.

That said:

Thunders and small wheels.

Indy/ACE and big(ger) wheels.

Crispy/snappy wood is a must, short, steep tails, medium WB, sticky grip and something to set your sights on getting over. It's about the 'hoist' ;)

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #1632 on: December 06, 2016, 11:28:45 PM »
not sure where to post but i got a new bastard child mix up im trying to tune right now

thunder team baseplate
new updated bones hard bushing
thunder hollow hanger
krux downlow kingpin
ricta sparx wheels (one side is flat the other is slightly rounded, kinda interesting)
bones swiss six

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1633 on: December 07, 2016, 01:43:50 AM »
and something to set your sights on getting over. It's about the 'hoist' ;)
this. On the old skate warehouse forums (Rip)  somebody posted a thread about how high can you ollie , and Jarvis, who is an employee there, said in a non-cocky, matter-of-fact way, "as high as I need to."

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1634 on: December 07, 2016, 09:13:20 PM »
guys guys GUYS and possible female skate heads out there...

i was setting up a cruiser with the mini logo trucks...

dude!...mini logo trucks are very legit. i didnt warm up or anything and literally the setup felt so good. got a nice high kickflip second try, some nollie 180ś, got a good switch flip attempt. switch ollie and just getting a high ollie were on super sharp point! these trucks got me

they were like a lower lighter thunder with so much control and response. idk how to describe it but damn. these mini logo trucks are the most under rated trucks ever. skate1 really put work in what they make, first stfś get me and now these mini logo trucks, they just need to redesign the look and they would be perfect.

i couldnt believe how good they were and was so baffled and amazed i have to get another set but in that 8.38 size ;D

if anyone out here is looking for a good street truck all i have to say IN MY OPINION is this is the top list

thunder
mini logo
ace
and its between royal and indy last cause they have their kinda major ups and downs in my opinion

like royals have this nice response to pop and flip tricks, they grind okay to good but turning wise they do hit a stop point on the carve

indys are solid, well built, turn deep, grind nice, but heavy and tall.

i know ima get kooked for this but hate on i stand by my opinion and i know my stuff, i aint no youtube revive braile loving grom trolling the net with biased opinions or some noob who doesnt know the difference between durometer and size
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:15:56 PM by rob »
yes

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • personal text
« Reply #1635 on: December 07, 2016, 09:45:26 PM »
guys guys GUYS and possible female skate heads out there...

i was setting up a cruiser with the mini logo trucks...

dude!...mini logo trucks are very legit. i didnt warm up or anything and literally the setup felt so good. got a nice high kickflip second try, some nollie 180ś, got a good switch flip attempt. switch ollie and just getting a high ollie were on super sharp point! these trucks got me

they were like a lower lighter thunder with so much control and response. idk how to describe it but damn. these mini logo trucks are the most under rated trucks ever. skate1 really put work in what they make, first stfś get me and now these mini logo trucks, they just need to redesign the look and they would be perfect.

i couldnt believe how good they were and was so baffled and amazed i have to get another set but in that 8.38 size ;D

if anyone out here is looking for a good street truck all i have to say IN MY OPINION is this is the top list

thunder
mini logo
ace
and its between royal and indy last cause they have their kinda major ups and downs in my opinion

like royals have this nice response to pop and flip tricks, they grind okay to good but turning wise they do hit a stop point on the carve

indys are solid, well built, turn deep, grind nice, but heavy and tall.

i know ima get kooked for this but hate on i stand by my opinion and i know my stuff, i aint no youtube revive braile loving grom trolling the net with biased opinions or some noob who doesnt know the difference between durometer and size
that got me curious, and im looking at them right now and the shape is kinda weirding me out, not sure if its just the pictures on there website or what

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1636 on: December 07, 2016, 09:50:27 PM »
its the actual shape ahaha

mini logo trucks are one of those things in life where its not aesthetically appealing but they work very well and satisfy the wants/needs

the hangar supposed to be bowed like ace does so you lock in to grinds better

i say if you got the money try them, theyre cheap and trust. they work. they work very well.
yes

Opoin

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1637 on: December 07, 2016, 09:51:08 PM »
that got me curious, and im looking at them right now and the shape is kinda weirding me out, not sure if its just the pictures on there website or what

Nah, mini-logo trucks just look really weird.  But if they're really as good as Rob says, I say give em a shot.

wBandito

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1638 on: December 07, 2016, 10:48:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Soooo: I hopped on the ace + Krux cushions bandwagon, but ended up giving the setup to my little bro before riding it, to hook him up.

Now I basically remade a similar setup for myself, but everywhere is out of Krux cushions and the ace stock is truly trash, people weren't exaggerating.... almost unsusable. Even shitty storefront sites that say they are in stock, get back to me 5 days later with the bad news.

What's the deal? Are Krux cushions out of production?

Shit sucks.
[close]

You're in luck. Last one.
http://www.saltypeaks.com/products/31830/Krux-Worlds-Best-Cushions-Bushings-92a.html

Thank you! They just arrived.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1639 on: December 07, 2016, 11:17:52 PM »
Yeah...mini logo trucks feel good...the finishing looks cheap...and aesthetically they look awkward but bang for the buck super good....if they didn't say 'mini logo' they'd be the next ace.....

I'm guessing Powell has had this holy grail of a truck that he's been unable to produce to his liking so they make in in China cheap and sell them as price point but I'm sure they are on par with everything else on the market....

If they put in the krux kingpin called it anything else the boards would light up.....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1640 on: December 07, 2016, 11:54:35 PM »
Yeah...mini logo trucks feel good...the finishing looks cheap...and aesthetically they look awkward but bang for the buck super good....if they didn't say 'mini logo' they'd be the next ace.....

I'm guessing Powell has had this holy grail of a truck that he's been unable to produce to his liking so they make in in China cheap and sell them as price point but I'm sure they are on par with everything else on the market....

If they put in the krux kingpin called it anything else the boards would light up.....

so glad your on the same boat j soy, seriously idk who was in the development team with george powell working on these bad boys for 5 years but it paid off. sad they dont look more...hmmm...cool ahaha but hey if theyre making skating a better experience i can ignore the looks

definitely getting another pair, got the 8' but i like the stability of something bigger than an 8 but smaller than an 8.5 so those 8.38 mini logo are gonna be a good fit

yes

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1641 on: December 08, 2016, 02:10:37 AM »
There was a dude on here years back that was singing praises of mini logos trucks. JBones, anyone else remember that?

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1642 on: December 08, 2016, 05:55:25 AM »
good to have feedback on these trucks. how about the axles, Rob? any slippage yet?
also, i don't mind the cheapo finish -just wish the logo on the hanger was more mini :)
Expand Quote
[close]

Mongoloid

« Reply #1643 on: December 08, 2016, 07:33:49 AM »
Mini Logo trucks are perfectly fine until the hard plastic pivot cup breaks down. Then you are left with wobbly hangers.

Otherwise they are pretty decent/good.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #1644 on: December 08, 2016, 08:29:40 AM »
Honestly...that's what got theeve off the ground....bones bushings...Powell could throw in their own cushions rebrand and there ya go.....

But it's Powell..the do what they do....

Made in China is unfortunately the new standard on trucks so there's nothing wrong with these ones....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1645 on: December 08, 2016, 09:49:45 AM »
good to have feedback on these trucks. how about the axles, Rob? any slippage yet?
also, i don't mind the cheapo finish -just wish the logo on the hanger was more mini :)

When I set them up and after some riding I didn't notice anything up with the axles so I would say no slippage so far  :)
yes

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1646 on: December 09, 2016, 12:42:32 AM »
^ good, i am yet to try the thunders i welded. At this point, my number 1 criteria is axle slip. get me a low-ish truck with no axle slip and im game.
Expand Quote
[close]

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #1647 on: December 09, 2016, 08:47:45 AM »
There was a dude on here years back that was singing praises of mini logos trucks. JBones, anyone else remember that?

yea, he had a whole blog dedicated to trucks.  didn't he focus after the shitstorm that was unleashed upon him for loving mini logo trucks?
hardly art, hardly starving

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1648 on: December 09, 2016, 02:16:20 PM »
If you skate mini logo trucks you're a kook.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • personal text
« Reply #1649 on: December 09, 2016, 02:29:06 PM »
If you skate mini logo trucks you're a kook.
well im gonna be king kook in the next couple of weeks then