Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220749 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1680 on: December 11, 2016, 08:52:24 PM »
The only ocd I have on bolts is Philips always, I have an odd feeling Allen key doesn't stay tight even though the tops have nothing to do with the nylon lock or threads. Idk I just feel if they're easy to tighten then they're easy to loosen.

Been riding those bronze56k just because bronze56k
yes

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1681 on: December 11, 2016, 09:06:49 PM »
Shorty's silverados/lights are the best bolts period.  The nuts are shorter so the nyloc grips lower on the threads.  No discussion to be had about hardware. 

FALSE.

That is the worst hardware, because the nuts are so short, unless you have the tool straight on it's not going to grip, making the while process one infuriating pain in the ass. Good luck getting those on with ventures.

Roughneck, plain black, phillips, because I'm an adult and I know the difference between my nose and tail.
you never know about pre-cum 

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1682 on: December 11, 2016, 09:19:17 PM »
Ahaha yeah I feel the same about the lights, bought them 2 years ago cause I liked how they were advertised and exactly that. The nuts were hard to hold cause they're thin and you know how thunder holes are drilled so it was not a fun run setting up.

I use to be that cool running all black but I can't tell my nose and tail so that bronze bolt helps ;)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 09:28:47 PM by rob »
yes

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #1683 on: December 11, 2016, 09:20:58 PM »
Modus hardware is life.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1684 on: December 11, 2016, 11:23:40 PM »
I always tighten my hardware which invetiably is bad......

Preferably something less than 1" because then you just need a socket to tighten it....not sure why they haven't made hardware again where you just need one tool.....you wouldn't need a full pound in ODI or a bridge bolt....just like one tooth in the head to make it stay....

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1685 on: December 12, 2016, 12:12:39 AM »
Mounting hardware huh?, don't know how often you guys go through them but i've had those Theeve titanium ones on for a few years and they were worth every penny
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 12:14:41 AM by Paco Supreme »

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #1686 on: December 12, 2016, 01:29:12 AM »
Expand Quote
https://www.instagram.com/p/BNptey6DfHk/?taken-by=thundertrucks&hl=en

wondering if anyone has any info on these?? higher 147's would be nice
[close]

David Rayes

and Matt Burger

As for hardware, always running allen because the tool needed is much smaller/lighter than a screwdriver and more reliable by design. Also, i try to get the shortest bolts i can get because i never use risers and don't want to be doing extra turns to tighten my trucks.
The head has to be medium. I think that the shorty's ones go too deep into the board and the huge ones can create pressure cracks.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 01:43:49 AM by Esquivel »
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1687 on: December 12, 2016, 02:19:20 AM »
I know those Krux Cushions are all the rage with Ace's but has anyone tried Doh Doh's on them(preferably 92A or 88A)? i remember so many years ago just trying to get those on Indy's took awhile so i figured they'd be high/tall enough to not mess with the geometry of the truck.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #1688 on: December 12, 2016, 07:36:10 AM »
Mounting hardware huh?, don't know how often you guys go through them but i've had those Theeve titanium ones on for a few years and they were worth every penny

You're trolling me......

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1689 on: December 12, 2016, 08:10:38 AM »
Well, I went back to Thunder after a week. I suppose I am caving in to whatever is in these magical trucks. Although I feel consistent on ventures, the pop I get with kick flips on thunder is addicting. The turning I am getting used to, doesn't bother me. I even went and got a Thunder hoodie and the shirt (didn't see a longsleeve). I suppose I feel the need to do that after the years of indys shirts and hoodies. To fully convert. I can keep my Venture gear in the closet. There's just something about thunder

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1690 on: December 12, 2016, 08:14:33 AM »
Well, I went back to Thunder after a week. I suppose I am caving in to whatever is in these magical trucks. Although I feel consistent on ventures, the pop I get with kick flips on thunder is addicting. The turning I am getting used to, doesn't bother me. I even went and got a Thunder hoodie and the shirt (didn't see a longsleeve). I suppose I feel the need to do that after the years of indys shirts and hoodies. To fully convert. I can keep my Venture gear in the closet. There's just something about thunder

Jesus, you are me. I have to justify my new Thunder hoodie by keeping some thunders on my cruiser. I went fully back to venture though. It was the right thing to do.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1691 on: December 12, 2016, 08:27:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Jesus, you are me. I have to justify my new Thunder hoodie by keeping some thunders on my cruiser. I went fully back to venture though. It was the right thing to do.

I feel safe currently. I have a new Venture hoodie + longsleeve and new Thunder hoodie + t-shirt. That way whatever trucks are the right ones (for that day) I can look like I stand by my decision via clothing. My wife is unsympathetic to my pain: "I dunno why you're buying all that , you'll just use Independent next month". (She is well aware of my dilemma). I scoff as I change venture to Thunder back to venture then thunder.

In all seriousness though (even though all of the above did happen), I truly cannot skate indys as I used to and I never really skate tranny anymore. I skate more "my style" on ventures and Thunders, I just can't make up my mind. ( this is only an issue because I would prefer to stand by one brand even though it doesn't really matter but it does)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1692 on: December 12, 2016, 10:04:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Shorty's silverados/lights are the best bolts period.  The nuts are shorter so the nyloc grips lower on the threads.  No discussion to be had about hardware. 
[close]

FALSE.

That is the worst hardware, because the nuts are so short, unless you have the tool straight on it's not going to grip, making the while process one infuriating pain in the ass. Good luck getting those on with ventures.

Roughneck, plain black, phillips, because I'm an adult and I know the difference between my nose and tail.

Yup, those low profile nuts are a bitch to get right with a socket on some trucks (can just use a regular wrench).

I prefer the indy combi bolts, same price as the rest, regular nuts, half threaded, medium head, can use allen and phillips..rocking some modus right now tho, like thunder they provide you with two extra bolts incase you don't want to use the colored ones (or break'em).

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1693 on: December 12, 2016, 01:09:39 PM »
Expand Quote
That's how I feel, need that lowered truck for quicker pop response
[close]

I guess I have to get the timing & feeling down, the bushing issue will work itself out.

Well I had a session for a few hrs. yesterday riding my Thunder Teams, no risers, stock clear yellow bushings and Spitfire Conical full 56mm (probably worn down to about 54mm). This lower setup is starting to grow on me, I was able to Ollie a lot easier than the last time out and the wheel rub/bite wasn't bothering me too much. Kick flips and pop shoves are a lot easier being lower to the ground & I find like I have a lot more control over the board. I may upgrade the bushings still, but I don't want to use the Bones med. since the last ones that I had blew out so quickly, may go with the red Independent ones. Conclusion- loving my new set up.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1694 on: December 12, 2016, 01:14:46 PM »
No problem using the low profile shorty's nuts with my Silver tool.  Ya'll crazy

Mongoloid

« Reply #1695 on: December 12, 2016, 01:31:40 PM »

This is one thing I definitely noticed a difference with when I was riding Thunder lows. My kickflips were easily pop-able above knee height, and everything felt snappy.

A big part of the reason I'm not still riding Thunders is my love of Ace, and the fact that I've still not heard any update on the status of whether or not low's will be making a return (don't want to get used to a truck that gets discontinued). That and the axle slip I'm experiencing on Ace's isn't nearly as bad as with my Thunders.

Also to the guy that mentioned riding Ace's with Doh Doh's I hugely reccomend it! I'm currently giving hard Low Doh's a try, but prior that I was riding 95a red Doh Doh's that I sanded to fit the low Ace's, and it felt fantastic! Only reason I switched is I want to see if the harder bushings will have a little more "rebound" for fliptricks.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1696 on: December 12, 2016, 07:28:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

FALSE.

[close]

Yup, those low profile nuts are a bitch to get right with a socket on some trucks (can just use a regular wrench).

I prefer the indy combi bolts, same price as the rest, regular nuts, half threaded, medium head, can use allen and phillips..rocking some modus right now tho, like thunder they provide you with two extra bolts incase you don't want to use the colored ones (or break'em).
You have indy hardware with thunder trucks? How do you sleep at night?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1697 on: December 12, 2016, 07:32:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You're trolling me......

Yeah, but only you though. Everyone else i mean it, also i thought about it harder and i didn't pay for those bolts, i just got some in a box still good though

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1698 on: December 12, 2016, 07:53:59 PM »
ahaha true, i couldnt do that. i usually like riding bolt specific company bolts or truck company bolts. i liked riding my thunder 1 inch bolts with my thunders but idk. they are kinda cheaply made, like 3-4 of the nuts werent locking anymore but so far these bronze56k have been holding up 3 setups deep but when they wear out im thinking to upgrade from bronze to something gold. maybe those reynolds shake junts since theyre the only gold philips ive seen around
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1699 on: December 12, 2016, 10:13:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

FALSE.

[close]

[close]
You have indy hardware with thunder trucks? How do you sleep at night?

It keeps me up at night knowing that any second I could dissolve the barrier between space and time by doing such a thing.

Also, big fan of Randoms hardware. Little kids, I kid you not, always ask "is that a carbon fiber board" when I run them.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:20:02 PM by Xen »

N.L.

« Reply #1700 on: December 14, 2016, 08:05:36 AM »
Lee Ralph's Turning Arc went something like this: Gullwing, Indy, Ace-

That's all we can really know and all we really need to know from the Celtic Hinterlands to Deep Polynesia.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1701 on: December 16, 2016, 07:33:34 AM »
Finally got my Theeve TiKings in the mail.  I bought my first pair of Theeve's a couple years ago and skated them exclusively for about a year and a half.  The trouble started when the kingpins would get loose and make the truck unstable.

Apparently Theeve resolved that by no longer using the hollow titanium kingpin.  The new kingpins are regular hollow steel.  They're still using Khiro pivot cups but the bushings are their own version of Bones.  I'm not sure if they're made by Bones but the quality looks the same.

As far as quality goes, they're exactly as I remembered - this best finish on any truck.  Perfect casting, low kingpin and the end of the hanger are precision cut (I think they're the only company that does this)

I'm going to spend the weekend on them and I'll let you guys know how it goes

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #1702 on: December 16, 2016, 08:02:14 AM »
Tiking

Is it the picture, or is your washer already bent ?

Good to know Theeve's still around.

Rick Sanchez

« Reply #1703 on: December 16, 2016, 08:02:32 AM »
Damn Steve - making me want to buy even more trucks! Look forward to reading how you find them

BMCsteve

« Reply #1704 on: December 16, 2016, 08:04:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Tiking
[close]

Is it the picture, or is your washer already bent ?

Looks like some distortion on the pic

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #1705 on: December 16, 2016, 08:15:19 AM »

ehhhh not really

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1706 on: December 16, 2016, 08:18:40 AM »
Those look nice Steve! I've been interested in Theeves since they make an 8.25 axle but haven't pulled the trigger because the height scares me off.

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
« Reply #1707 on: December 16, 2016, 08:49:38 AM »
Those look nice Steve! I've been interested in Theeves since they make an 8.25 axle but haven't pulled the trigger because the height scares me off.
The 5,5 is 8,18, not 8,25, just so you know

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1708 on: December 16, 2016, 09:15:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah, it's close enough for me haha. I'm really on the lookout for anything that's bigger than 8.0 without jumping all the way up to the 149 tier.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1709 on: December 16, 2016, 09:19:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That is correct.  also, despite being listed as 55mm which is the height of standard Indy's, Theeve's are actually lower than forged Indy's.  They're right in between forged Indys (53.5mm) and Forged Thunders (51.5mm)

Theeve on the left, Forged Indy on the right