Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221019 times)

Opoin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1710 on: December 16, 2016, 09:37:41 AM »
Those look so good, you're making the whole thread curious Steve.  I'm really interested to hear how those turn.  Is the 5.5 as wide as they come?

BMCsteve

« Reply #1711 on: December 16, 2016, 09:43:18 AM »
Those look so good, you're making the whole thread curious Steve.  I'm really interested to hear how those turn.  Is the 5.5 as wide as they come?

I'm not sure how the new bushings are but Theeve's turn incredibly well.  Stability of Thunder, turn of Indy is how I always described them.  When I skated them exclusively I had absolutely no desire to try anything else or ever switch out my trucks.......Then the kingpins rounded off the metal in the baseplate and I've been unhappy with every truck I've skated since.

I'll know if they fixed that problem in about 2-3 months which is when I started having problems with other sets but again, they said the kingpin switch fixed that issue

They come in a 5.5 (8.18) the 5.85 (8.5) which is what I have and a 6.5 which I believe is 9.1
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 10:07:34 AM by BMCsteve »

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1712 on: December 16, 2016, 09:47:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Those look nice Steve! I've been interested in Theeves since they make an 8.25 axle but haven't pulled the trigger because the height scares me off.
[close]
The 5,5 is 8,18, not 8,25, just so you know
[close]

That is correct.  also, despite being listed as 55mm which is the height of standard Indy's, Theeve's are actually lower than forged Indy's.  They're right in between forged Indys (53.5mm) and Forged Thunders (51.5mm)

I just came. Going to be trying these for sure now. Are the baseplates on those forged?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:50:34 AM by GOATMOON »

BMCsteve

« Reply #1713 on: December 16, 2016, 10:02:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Those look nice Steve! I've been interested in Theeves since they make an 8.25 axle but haven't pulled the trigger because the height scares me off.
[close]
[close]

That is correct.  also, despite being listed as 55mm which is the height of standard Indy's, Theeve's are actually lower than forged Indy's.  They're right in between forged Indys (53.5mm) and Forged Thunders (51.5mm)

[close]
I just came. Going to be trying these for sure now. Are the baseplates on those forged?

Nope, they're cast.  Some people in here love cast but in my opinion a forged baseplate is the only thing Theeve is lacking

Also, if anyone is wondering about weight, the TiKing 8.5's are 340g (same as Indy Ti) and the TiAx are 345g.  Next time around I'll save $15 and get the TiAx

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1714 on: December 16, 2016, 10:21:28 AM »
Those look so good, you're making the whole thread curious Steve.  I'm really interested to hear how those turn.  Is the 5.5 as wide as they come?
naah, they make 5,85 and 6,5 as well, 5,85 being their "149", 8,5 wide and 6,5 being around 9''

Opoin

« Reply #1715 on: December 16, 2016, 10:44:13 AM »
Nice.  Thanks for the prompt answers Steve and bbk.  Definitely gonna keep these on my radar for when I get the itch to buy new trucks.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1716 on: December 16, 2016, 12:56:47 PM »
I'm a curious about trying out some Venture 5.8 Hi's for an upcoming Christmas Complete. Always liked how they looked and i'm just wondering how they turn? Got off the Indy's about a year and half ago and now riding Ace's so i'm expecting something in between. My only grip about Ace's are the pivot cups blowing out easily.

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1717 on: December 16, 2016, 01:21:28 PM »
I'm a curious about trying out some Venture 5.8 Hi's for an upcoming Christmas Complete. Always liked how they looked and i'm just wondering how they turn? Got off the Indy's about a year and half ago and now riding Ace's so i'm expecting something in between. My only grip about Ace's are the pivot cups blowing out easily.

Their arc is pretty comparable to Indys. Not nearly as sharp as Thunders but it'll take more effort to turn deep than Ace. The stock bushings suck and I couldn't get them loose enough without the nut falling off, but Indy's 90a barrel bushings worked perfect for me, and they're the exact same height.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1718 on: December 16, 2016, 04:11:41 PM »
Theeve looks like they use a softer aluminum like Ace and Krux. Man, that really is flawless casting too. If only they would take the model indicator off the hanger and ditch the weird Theeve face below the bushing seat, I'd buy 'em.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1719 on: December 16, 2016, 05:29:18 PM »
ahaha i guess no one remembers when i talked about theeve a few pages ago on this thread, but steve has pics so i guess hes more credible.

my opinion on theeve if anyone ever reads my post though is, true turn so when you wanna turn you actually turn as much and as quick as your actual effort. so less lean less turn hard lean means deeper and faster turn. cause some trucks turn deep even with a slight lean.

they respond really well pop wise too, theyre really good responding trucks but from my 3 weeks to a month of skating them they were good just too tall for my preference(being something usually 51mm tall max cause i need that tail to hit the ground fast)

i would say thats what makes theeve stick out from the rest of the trucks, that true turn. the true turn so good on response even though theyre a little taller than my goto the pop wasnt lagged like indy stage 11 standards, not as fast as thunder but the response was there

thats crazy i didnt know they used khiro pivot cups. no wonder theyre so expensive. i got the all black tiax v3

heres a pic actually

yes

Opoin

« Reply #1720 on: December 16, 2016, 06:08:09 PM »
ahaha i guess no one remembers when i talked about theeve a few pages ago on this thread, but steve has pics so i guess hes more credible.

my opinion on theeve if anyone ever reads my post though is, true turn so when you wanna turn you actually turn as much and as quick as your actual effort. so less lean less turn hard lean means deeper and faster turn. cause some trucks turn deep even with a slight lean.

they respond really well pop wise too, theyre really good responding trucks but from my 3 weeks to a month of skating them they were good just too tall for my preference(being something usually 51mm tall max cause i need that tail to hit the ground fast)

i would say thats what makes theeve stick out from the rest of the trucks, that true turn. the true turn so good on response even though theyre a little taller than my goto the pop wasnt lagged like indy stage 11 standards, not as fast as thunder but the response was there

thats crazy i didnt know they used khiro pivot cups. no wonder theyre so expensive. i got the all black tiax v3

heres a pic actually

Hmm, thanks for the added info rob.  I'm kinda thinking about putting these on a cruiser set-up sometime soon.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1721 on: December 16, 2016, 08:37:44 PM »
Hehe, BMC is going full circle (Again :P) I remember turning you on to them over at SBC...

Your review ;)

http://www.skateboard-city.com/2014/04/08/review-theeve-tiking-v3-55-trucks/

FWIW, Theeves are great, if you ride medium to tight trucks. I could never get the V3s loose enough without going sub 80a on bushings and they would just get chewed up.

V2 were amazing, I rode loose so I never had bones bushings blow out.

The Ti Kinping was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo light!

BMCsteve

« Reply #1722 on: December 16, 2016, 08:46:22 PM »
Hehe, BMC is going full circle (Again :P) I remember turning you on to them over at SBC...

Your review ;)

FWIW, Theeves are great, if you ride medium to tight trucks. I could never get the V3s loose enough without going sub 80a on bushings and they would just get chewed up.

YES! I do ride looser trucks now though so hopefully these work as well for me now as they did then.  I just have no idea what duro these new bushings are.  I'm guessing the same as Bones mediums

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1723 on: December 16, 2016, 09:20:25 PM »
Expand Quote

Your review ;)

[close]

YES! I do ride looser trucks now though so hopefully these work as well for me now as they did then.  I just have no idea what duro these new bushings are.  I'm guessing the same as Bones mediums

I think they're harder than bones mediums, just by some. The design and pivot cup have theeves a good medium with non hardish bushings, I threw Indy 90a conicals and regular bones mediums and they were a medium loose. The white bones knock offs are not as hard as the black core bones but between the medium and hard
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #1724 on: December 17, 2016, 07:34:20 PM »
I'm telling you guys now.....inevitably the 'THEEVE' will get to you.....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1725 on: December 17, 2016, 11:54:31 PM »
I'm telling you guys now.....inevitably the 'THEEVE' will get to you.....

haha cmon j soy your getting me all truck mental again just when im getting close to just sticking to my thunders or ventures.

yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1726 on: December 18, 2016, 11:41:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Nope, they're cast.  Some people in here love cast but in my opinion a forged baseplate is the only thing Theeve is lacking

Also, if anyone is wondering about weight, the TiKing 8.5's are 340g (same as Indy Ti) and the TiAx are 345g.  Next time around I'll save $15 and get the TiAx

But....but that's 10g bro! ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 06:11:26 PM by Xen »

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1727 on: December 21, 2016, 08:07:56 PM »
You guys see Thunders' new brilliant innovation where they made a hollow axle/kingpin truck but 1mm taller? And there's not even an option for a raw hanger and baseplate. Derp.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1728 on: December 21, 2016, 08:46:24 PM »
You guys see Thunders' new brilliant innovation where they made a hollow axle/kingpin truck but 1mm taller? And there's not even an option for a raw hanger and baseplate. Derp.

Yeah, plain old cast pates with hollow kings, I prefer the cast plate for the teeny bit of extra height...I would have rather seen a taller forged plate.

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #1729 on: December 21, 2016, 09:39:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, plain old cast pates with hollow kings, I prefer the cast plate for the teeny bit of extra height...I would have rather seen a taller forged plate.
i honestly thought it would have been a 52 or a 50mm, but 49.59? really?  they need to just make a new baseplate thats a little higher and extend the outward part of baseplate kinda like how indy and krux has that slider bit, but that might ruin the geometr/look they are trying to go for so i don't know.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1730 on: December 21, 2016, 10:01:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
i honestly thought it would have been a 52 or a 50mm, but 49.59? really?  they need to just make a new baseplate thats a little higher and extend the outward part of baseplate kinda like how indy and krux has that slider bit, but that might ruin the geometr/look they are trying to go for so i don't know.

It all comes down to the molds. Making new one is significant, from design/geo development, to prototyping, to mold making (we're not talking just one little mold here), etc. Adding a hollow pin is easy enough tho I don't what's involved but they had to change something as the old solid pin has different spines than the hollow so they tweaked something.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1731 on: December 23, 2016, 09:18:36 AM »
I bought my first set of Bones Swiss in forever so on Christmas I will have this setup: deck 8.125, Thunder 147 hi, Swiss, Spitfire Bighead 52 and Shorty's 7/8 allen. Will probably wear my new Thunder hoodie to show my allegiance  (for now). I also bought some Thunder stickers (I'm not only trying to convince you, myself as well). I actually haven't got to do many grinds on these so I'm still unsure on that. But there's salt everywhere for ice and last time I had swiss i learned that salt rusts bearings and that lesson is not forgotten. Skating on hold till rain comes or I drive further ha. I think my truck switch has kinda got me back into the thrill as in always getting the same shit before got stale. Thanks for convincing me to try Thunder everyone
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 09:21:18 AM by fang »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #1732 on: December 23, 2016, 11:39:23 AM »
I know I'm going to have a tough time parting with my Theeve hoodie....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1733 on: December 23, 2016, 12:12:26 PM »
I know I'm going to have a tough time parting with my Theeve hoodie....

What size? ;)

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #1734 on: December 23, 2016, 04:10:49 PM »

im stoked. a little taller is my jam.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1735 on: December 23, 2016, 04:30:57 PM »
Today I decided to take the bottom washer off my truck, to see how it goes. It sucked! Keeping it tight had the advantage of improving the snap, but loosening up the trucks just made them turn less and too fast, but without the same rebound. What is the specific reason that makes people like to take the bottom washer off?

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1736 on: December 23, 2016, 05:43:40 PM »
I take out the bottom washer cause I like my indy's nice and wobbly. Just stepping on a board with loose trucks like that feels good. I only really ride like that on tranny and cruising down the sidewalk though. On my street set-up, I just ride loose stock thunders with a little riser.

My super loose trucks are set up like this:
Indy 159's
Yellow Doh-dohs (90a I believe).
top bushings are pretty much mushed down to half their original height
bottom washers omitted
font truck super jingly, back more stable
1/4th risers
53mm Oj insane-a-thane

It's a fun, turny, unstable ride that slips out and slides really easily. Pretty much feels like how I imagine one of those carver boards to be, but with small hard wheels so I can get a decent ollie.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1737 on: December 23, 2016, 05:56:35 PM »
Like this guy, to make trucks looser without the nut falling off or fucking with bushings too much

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1738 on: December 23, 2016, 09:05:59 PM »
okay okay so back it again with my unwanted opinions/rant on skate trucks.

so i was digging my venture 5.2 lo standards, they were awesome. low, responsive, turn was alright nothing too crazy but just enough turn for my medium preference and very stable. reminded me alot of thunder 147 hi IF it were lower and tad bit tighter but here the part that made me realize, thunder (not trying to sell you thunders and be a huge thunder dick rider, just a little one) are the BEST all around truck for street style skating and etc.

the ventures were good but they didnt respond as quick as id like cruising the rough streets doing ollie to manny on random things, ollie over stuff and into stuff/street tranny. maybe cause theyre the lo but compared to thunder hi, thunders can handle the rattling rough streets better, the response is quicker, and the manuals are more controlled because of the bushing style giving a good balance between loose and tight for when you need to tweak your balance rather than be stuck going straight. maybe the venture hi are better but so far, Thunders are the best.

venture lo are good for parks, smooth spots, maybe just spots, but street cruising/berrics off the grid skating not 100% there.

steve and j soy got me curious though and lucky for me i got a set of 5.5 theeves i havent really messed with(the ones i posted were the 5.25) so ima mess with those for a second and see if theyre anything spectacular. i know theyre just longer than my 5.25 but maybe that stability makes a big difference

last thing to wrap up this life story, anyone got any feedback on the new more well structured  ace44 ? curious cause i saw some at the shop and i know theyre 53.5 tall but theyre getting my attention after trying some 03(which failed me in quality cause the kingpin got loose on one of the baseplates) but maybe they put more quality check in their standard hi trucks. plus i liked how my aces were, nice turn, fun. idk just fun trucks. just sad quality issues.
yes

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #1739 on: December 23, 2016, 10:26:06 PM »

last thing to wrap up this life story, anyone got any feedback on the new more well structured  ace44 ? curious cause i saw some at the shop and i know theyre 53.5 tall but theyre getting my attention after trying some 03(which failed me in quality cause the kingpin got loose on one of the baseplates) but maybe they put more quality check in their standard hi trucks. plus i liked how my aces were, nice turn, fun. idk just fun trucks. just sad quality issues.
As I've said before. I pretty much only skate tranny at the local park but I've yet to encounter any issues on my ace's including my pivot cups being fine.