Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220636 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1740 on: December 23, 2016, 10:33:44 PM »
Thunders really are an amazing street truck, they do everything as advertised. Light, responsive, great height (for me), stable and grind great. There is a reason the majority of street pros ride them (other than getting the for free).

Same reasons the majority of the indy team are bowl/all terrain riders.

You wouldn't choose 60mm SPFs to up your real street ledge game, would you?  ;D

Main

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -208
« Reply #1741 on: December 24, 2016, 09:25:44 AM »
So these new Thunder Team Hollows have the height raised 1mm for the 147's since they're on a team plate now? And the 149's and 151 have stayed the same height?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 09:28:28 AM by Main »

N.L.

« Reply #1742 on: December 24, 2016, 10:20:33 AM »
nah. its jus the hollow KP and hangars on the cast base plates. Lights usually come with forged baseplates but lots of people preferred all the hollow shit on the regular baseplates so thunder started offering it that way. at least thats how i understand it. where's Lenny these days?

Mongoloid

« Reply #1743 on: December 24, 2016, 10:28:01 AM »
nah. its jus the hollow KP and hangars on the cast base plates. Lights usually come with forged baseplates but lots of people preferred all the hollow shit on the regular baseplates so thunder started offering it that way. at least thats how i understand it. where's Lenny these days?

Too right where is Lenny!? What's the word on the future of Thunder 147 lows? That's what I wanna know.

Main

« Reply #1744 on: December 24, 2016, 02:25:15 PM »
Sorry should have asked this on my last post, but does anyone have any bushing recommendations for Thunder outside of their own aftermarkets or Bones, that fit ok? I was thinking of putting black Indy aftermarkets but they may be too tall, so then I could just omit the bottom washer? Or some Krux bushings but no bottom washer since those are pretty tall? I can't do any of the "low" Indy bushings cause all they offer are the softer durometers. Any ideas would be appreciated.

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1745 on: December 24, 2016, 03:12:06 PM »
The last time I checked the Indy conicals are the exact same size as thunder stocks. They're a tiny bit higher than the cylinders.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1746 on: December 24, 2016, 03:51:52 PM »
The last time I checked the Indy conicals are the exact same size as thunder stocks. They're a tiny bit higher than the cylinders.

indy conicals are a perfect fit and give you way more options than thunder kits.

Main

« Reply #1747 on: December 24, 2016, 04:59:32 PM »
NOICE thanks bros

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1748 on: December 24, 2016, 05:32:47 PM »
I'm back

So the theeve 5.5's...

THEYRE AMAZING! ;D

So turns out that 8.18 axle is way better for my 8.12 deck compared to the theeve 5.25's-7.9 axle

The stability did make a huge difference, the response was uncanny and the turning is amazing. But truthfully those all white bones knock offs are trash, pop in some real bones mediums and they're fantastic. The way theeves were made originally with bones mediums. Now that the build is way better in quality it sad they lost the deal with skate1 including bones mediums or from stock theeves would be a force to reckon. Damn these theeves are actually really good  :D
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1749 on: December 25, 2016, 05:11:52 PM »
I'm back

So the theeve 5.5's...

THEYRE AMAZING! ;D

So turns out that 8.18 axle is way better for my 8.12 deck compared to the theeve 5.25's-7.9 axle

The stability did make a huge difference, the response was uncanny and the turning is amazing. But truthfully those all white bones knock offs are trash, pop in some real bones mediums and they're fantastic. The way theeves were made originally with bones mediums. Now that the build is way better in quality it sad they lost the deal with skate1 including bones mediums or from stock theeves would be a force to reckon. Damn these theeves are actually really good  :D
[/quote

I'm sitting on a fresh pair thanks to Black Friday and was going to run the new stock bushings...that bad?

BMCsteve

« Reply #1750 on: December 25, 2016, 11:49:57 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm back

So the theeve 5.5's...

THEYRE AMAZING! ;D

[/quote

I'm sitting on a fresh pair thanks to Black Friday and was going to run the new stock bushings...that bad?
[close]

I spent some time on them today and the stock white bushings felt exactly like Bones mediums to me.  They even look, feel and are cut exactly like bones.  It would take someone from Theeve telling me they aren't made by the same factory in the same duro as Bones mediums for me to believe it

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1751 on: December 26, 2016, 04:12:26 AM »
Idk, the theeve bushings felt tighter to me, my bones mediums just felt drastically better.

The theeve bushings have good rebound to center but that's cause the urethane they use I feel is tighter. Bones mediums give in more so you get more turn and the plastic inserts just help stabilize.

To me it's like this:

Theeve bushings-snappy

Bones bushings-fluid

So I guess it depends on what you want.
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1752 on: December 26, 2016, 09:18:45 AM »
Powell is pretty good at keeping their manufacturers all to themselves...

Oh...GP told me too....

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1753 on: December 26, 2016, 12:19:08 PM »
Does anyone here skate wide deck with skinnier trucks?

as in like 8.38 deck with 8 inch trucks? (Nothing like 10 inch deck with 7.75)
if so, how is it?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1754 on: December 26, 2016, 12:21:49 PM »
Idk, the theeve bushings felt tighter to me, my bones mediums just felt drastically better.

The theeve bushings have good rebound to center but that's cause the urethane they use I feel is tighter. Bones mediums give in more so you get more turn and the plastic inserts just help stabilize.

To me it's like this:

Theeve bushings-snappy

Bones bushings-fluid

Were you comparing new theeve bushings to old bones bushings?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 12:25:01 PM by Xen »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1755 on: December 26, 2016, 12:35:03 PM »

if so, how is it?

I've only run ACEs on 8.5s" and 8.18 on 8.3s a long time ago...I dislike the magic carpet vibe, I prefer trucks to be lined up with the deck so I'll skate the right width depending on what I'm choosing to ride, i.e. a specific set of trucks or a deck.

Bunch of pros rock 8" trucks with 8.5" trucks just fine...

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1756 on: December 26, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »

if so, how is it?

I skate 8.38 or 8.25 with indy 139's. It doesn't feel weird at all.. I feel like people are too hung up on deck size vs truck size, just skate the size truck you feel is the best for you and same with boardsize and you'll be good. Some people ride 8.1 with 149's and some ride 8.5 boards with 139's and it all works.

N.L.

« Reply #1757 on: December 26, 2016, 04:22:26 PM »
Hangar width and wheel width combined is more important than axle width anyway.

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1758 on: December 26, 2016, 08:42:22 PM »
I prefer the look and feel of trucks wider than the deck width. But I do think smaller trucks provide more leverage for flipping and save the axles/threads from constantly getting bashed into shit.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1759 on: December 26, 2016, 09:54:47 PM »
Expand Quote

To me it's like this:

Theeve bushings-snappy

Bones bushings-fluid

[close]

No, the theeves were ridden for 3 weeks with the stock theeves and now I'm back on them I swapped the broken in theeves for fresh ish used once bones mediums and the response was way better. The theeve bushings squeek and feel tightish but still have some turn, the bones mediums just turn
yes

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1760 on: December 27, 2016, 06:33:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

To me it's like this:

Theeve bushings-snappy

Bones bushings-fluid

[close]

[close]

No, the theeves were ridden for 3 weeks with the stock theeves and now I'm back on them I swapped the broken in theeves for fresh ish used once bones mediums and the response was way better. The theeve bushings squeek and feel tightish but still have some turn, the bones mediums just turn

I gave up on mine and swapped for the orange aftermarket Indy conicals. Smoother turning somewhat between Thunder and Indy. Wouldn't be too surprised if they skate like Indys with barrel ones.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rathernotwalk

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1761 on: December 27, 2016, 07:19:47 PM »
Why are the kingpins on indys never long enough? Finally got bored at work and sanded down my road side bushing then milled the lock nut down a little so I could actually get the nylon down on the threads and still leave the trucks loose enough. Is this a common problem with other trucks?

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1762 on: December 27, 2016, 08:19:34 PM »
imo stock Thunders loosened all the way (nut just a tad past finger tight) feel way looser than stock indy's set the same. With indy's I gotta take out a washer and fuck with the bushings to get em loose enough.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1763 on: December 27, 2016, 08:38:59 PM »
imo stock Thunders loosened all the way (nut just a tad past finger tight) feel way looser than stock indy's set the same. With indy's I gotta take out a washer and fuck with the bushings to get em loose enough.

The bushings, conical respond faster and feel looser. Try using them in softer durometer to see if it works for you.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rathernotwalk

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1764 on: December 28, 2016, 02:52:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Why are the kingpins on indys never long enough? Finally got bored at work and sanded down my road side bushing then milled the lock nut down a little so I could actually get the nylon down on the threads and still leave the trucks loose enough. Is this a common problem with other trucks?
[close]

Closet longboarder per chance?

Nope, just a haggard bowl troll

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #1765 on: December 29, 2016, 07:40:52 AM »
My ace 66s are still the best i've ever had 2 mo in. Stock bushings broke in nicely. Turn like a charm.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1766 on: December 29, 2016, 10:14:27 AM »
Here's the motherload if any of you feel like traveling down the depths of madness

http://www.slapmagazine.com/component/option,com_jfusion/Itemid,4/index.php?topic=93822.0
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 10:19:30 AM by BMCsteve »

calvinsdream

« Reply #1767 on: December 29, 2016, 04:27:59 PM »

if so, how is it?

It gives you more leverage over your turns, if the difference isn't that much (<.5"). More than that feels pretty unstable.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1768 on: December 29, 2016, 07:02:58 PM »
The no pop nollie heel......

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1769 on: December 30, 2016, 06:49:08 AM »
The last time I used a wider decks with smaller trucks was 1998. I had a 8.1 inch deck with indys 126s  (7.75). If I recall correctly it was totally fine. I'm pondering going wider (8.38) deck with my thunder 147s next time. Hope it's the same. I'm just getting used to these.