Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220651 times)

BMCsteve

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1770 on: December 30, 2016, 07:30:50 AM »
The last time I used a wider decks with smaller trucks was 1998. I had a 8.1 inch deck with indys 126s  (7.75). If I recall correctly it was totally fine. I'm pondering going wider (8.38) deck with my thunder 147s next time. Hope it's the same. I'm just getting used to these.

I still firmly believe that a wider deck with smaller trucks is infinitely easier to flip than the other way around.  8.25 w/ 139's is so easy to toss around. 

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1771 on: December 30, 2016, 08:30:15 AM »
Definitely the board is more easily thrown off axis ie. flip......bad news is...less stable....

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1772 on: December 30, 2016, 12:46:55 PM »
Expand Quote
The last time I used a wider decks with smaller trucks was 1998. I had a 8.1 inch deck with indys 126s  (7.75). If I recall correctly it was totally fine. I'm pondering going wider (8.38) deck with my thunder 147s next time. Hope it's the same. I'm just getting used to these.
[close]

I still firmly believe that a wider deck with smaller trucks is infinitely easier to flip than the other way around.  8.25 w/ 139's is so easy to toss around.  

Agreed.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 01:53:03 PM by Xen »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1773 on: December 30, 2016, 05:07:21 PM »
I don't know how much weed they're smoking in the DLX warehouse, but I've been dealing with a defect issue for a month now, and they've sent me the wrong replacements twice.
you never know about pre-cum 

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1774 on: December 30, 2016, 07:21:43 PM »
I don't know how much weed they're smoking in the DLX warehouse, but I've been dealing with a defect issue for a month now, and they've sent me the wrong replacements twice.

What do you need? Maybe I can help?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1775 on: December 30, 2016, 07:56:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What do you need? Maybe I can help?

Lenny's been on it, and it's been the holidays so I get it, but I got some golden ass p-rod trucks back when I sent in silver v-hollows. Trucks are trucks but come on, I'd never buy these, they aren't what I paid for.

edit: Traded them at the local. Shop owner said he just got his dlx order and they were out of a lot of stuff, which I get, but if you're going to send something different, ask...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 01:12:04 PM by Level 60 Dwarf Paladin »
you never know about pre-cum 

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1776 on: December 30, 2016, 08:56:45 PM »
dang, ever since steve bringing the theeves back ive been on them and they ride superb.

but im in a truck affair and cant choose between the theeves, thunders or krux.

i love my krux cause i use to ride them all the time and they kinda take my mind away from thinking what trucks are best feeling/skating for me. but i do feel theyre kinda tall sometimes, that 55mm height is really there(i know they have the downlows but the allen king pin even in forged plates dont stay tight and snug in the hole) but its fun cause theyre light and somewhat turny. idk i feel krux are in my personailty so much that the tech specs dont even matter, just set them up and skate.

the theeves are just amazing in turn and repsonse, undeniably good trucks. i want to stick to them but hmmm...theyre really really good trucks though, like good indys haha(sorry people who love and back indy til death)

thunders i dont even have to say anything, theyre good. classic standard thunder 147/149 hi is the best goto when you need reliable trucks to just go skate
yes

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1777 on: December 31, 2016, 03:25:24 AM »
The last time I used a wider decks with smaller trucks was 1998. I had a 8.1 inch deck with indys 126s  (7.75). If I recall correctly it was totally fine. I'm pondering going wider (8.38) deck with my thunder 147s next time. Hope it's the same. I'm just getting used to these.

8.38" is perfect with Thunder149s. My son just got a 7.9" deck and I think he's gotta go from 145's to 147's. Can't stand the magic carpet look.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1778 on: December 31, 2016, 09:51:20 AM »
So I decided to take the bottom washers of my tiny setup's trucks. Now I see why people do that. I barely skated today, but it was enough to see a major improvement to turning and response, considering the trucks are low.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1779 on: December 31, 2016, 12:01:11 PM »
dang, ever since steve bringing the theeves back ive been on them and they ride superb.

i love my krux cause i use to ride them all the time and they kinda take my mind away from thinking what trucks are best feeling/skating for me. but i do feel theyre kinda tall sometimes, that 55mm height is really there(i know they have the downlows but the allen king pin even in forged plates dont stay tight and snug in the hole) but its fun cause theyre light and somewhat turny. idk i feel krux are in my personailty so much that the tech specs dont even matter, just set them up and skate.

the theeves are just amazing in turn and repsonse, undeniably good trucks. i want to stick to them but hmmm...theyre really really good trucks though, like good indys haha(sorry people who love and back indy til death)

thunders i dont even have to say anything, theyre good. classic standard thunder 147/149 hi is the best goto when you need reliable trucks to just go skate

What happened to your ACE affair?

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1780 on: December 31, 2016, 06:39:00 PM »

I just got some Krux about a month ago and at first I absolutely hated them. After about a week of trying to break them in I just gave up and got some indy super soft bushings in them and now they feel amazing. Turn nice and squirly and yet stable. Also I kinda like the idea of not having one of the "big 3" trucks for some reason. (even though I'm using indy bushings)

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1781 on: December 31, 2016, 09:27:44 PM »
Well the thing was, I was going good and grinding on my ace 03 for a good 3 weeks then I wanted to see if I could swap the bushings and as I took them apart the sad truth of China quality showed its ugly head. The king pin on my front truck was loose. I didn't wanna deal with warranty so I just went back to thunders for a good moment but now that I got the right size theeves on my deck it's really buying me.

I love krux for that squrrelly yet stable feel too cause it makes up for the height for the most part but it gets to me little by little every now and then so I'm undecided on riding krux or theeves. Krux are fun but the theeves have excellent response for the height and all. I'm popping over things after another so fast and the turn is amazing. No crack after a landing is gonna catch me with those theeves plugged on.

I wanna try ace 44 but kinda worried they'll be tall feeling. Maybe they'll be like the krux and I won't really notice it but it's a stretch I'll think on. Indy's though. The standards are crazy tall feeling and the stability is bad in my opinion. They turn well and have somewhat good response but tall and unstable=just bad feels

I find it funny how much I get kooked for my truck posts 8)
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1782 on: December 31, 2016, 11:35:13 PM »
Well the thing was, I was going good and grinding on my ace 03 for a good 3 weeks then I wanted to see if I could swap the bushings and as I took them apart the sad truth of China quality showed its ugly head. The king pin on my front truck was loose. I didn't wanna deal with warranty so I just went back to thunders for a good moment but now that I got the right size theeves on my deck it's really buying me.

I love krux for that squrrelly yet stable feel too cause it makes up for the height for the most part but it gets to me little by little every now and then so I'm undecided on riding krux or theeves. Krux are fun but the theeves have excellent response for the height and all. I'm popping over things after another so fast and the turn is amazing. No crack after a landing is gonna catch me with those theeves plugged on.

I wanna try ace 44 but kinda worried they'll be tall feeling. Maybe they'll be like the krux and I won't really notice it but it's a stretch I'll think on. Indy's though. The standards are crazy tall feeling and the stability is bad in my opinion. They turn well and have somewhat good response but tall and unstable=just bad feels

No Kooking from me.

The 8.25" Krux were too tall for me, just felt weird; even with Indys I still skate forged for the lower height. Lower trucks, but not lows, always feel better to me.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:57:36 PM by Xen »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1783 on: January 01, 2017, 01:50:45 AM »
aha thanks xen, i need all the kooking i can get until i realize not even the internet can handle my truck nerd rants. i should just skate one setup and swap the deck when it breaks like every normal skater but im sick in the head ahaha

i realized now back when i mentioned the forged thing it had to deal with the weight distribution i really couldnt handle, the hanger weighing so much while the light and thin and flimsy baseplate is holding it tight to the board would throw me off

cause i skated the krux forged and they feel farily normal, im so stuck. catsup or ketchup...

yes

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1784 on: January 01, 2017, 07:32:16 AM »

Ace 44's are about 53mm in height which is lower than Indy stage 10 even. They definitely don't feel tall or tippy or anything like that.. Which actually is weird cause they're the only trucks I've tested that you can ride super fucking loose and turny and never really get wheelbite, even with 54mm+ wheels.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 07:33:49 AM by Deekay »

BMCsteve

« Reply #1785 on: January 01, 2017, 07:34:29 AM »
I'm back on Indy.

Thunder skates the best for me on street and I think the Theeves were the best all around truck that I've skated but it's just nice having Indy's under my feet.  I can't explain it because I don't particularly like the geometry so I think their marketing is ingrained in my subconscious

Rick Sanchez

« Reply #1786 on: January 01, 2017, 07:44:06 AM »
I'm back on Indy.

Thunder skates the best for me on street and I think the Theeves were the best all around truck that I've skated but it's just nice having Indy's under my feet.  I can't explain it because I don't particularly like the geometry so I think their marketing is ingrained in my subconscious

INDY FOR LIFE BRO

Just kidding, I know exactly what you mean. Theyre so widely regarded as the best (fuck the rest) but I don't understand why yet I feel weird skating anything else

BMCsteve

« Reply #1787 on: January 01, 2017, 07:51:20 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm back on Indy.

[close]

INDY FOR LIFE BRO

Just kidding, I know exactly what you mean. Theyre so widely regarded as the best (fuck the rest) but I don't understand why yet I feel weird skating anything else

I've said it before about Thunder and I just experienced the same thing on Theeve - I'd rather skate worse on Indy's than skate better on another truck wishing I were skating Indy's.   It's totally stupid but I can't get past it

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1788 on: January 01, 2017, 08:20:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm back on Indy.

[close]

INDY FOR LIFE BRO

[close]

I've said it before about Thunder and I just experienced the same thing on Theeve - I'd rather skate worse on Indy's than skate better on another truck wishing I were skating Indy's.   It's totally stupid but I can't get past it

Granted I like indy more as a brand, but I feel like they're the most predictable truck out there too. Ace are a little too squirly, Thunders don't turn deep enough and feel stiff etc.. Indy's are just Indy's and they do their job but don't blow minds.

It's like going on vacation in paradise filled with hot women, partying and activities everyday and then come home to your average girlfriend in your average eventful city. Paradise is fun, sure.. But you get over it. All you want in life is a nice stable predictable truck to go with the same old pizza choice from your favorite pizzeria while you watch that movie you've seen 8 times already. Because it makes you feel like home. Plus those paradise girls are all stingy about buttstuff lol wtf

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1789 on: January 01, 2017, 10:00:51 AM »
I'm back on Indy.

After wandering in the wilderness the last few months, I ended up on indy 159's boring! But really, I hate to think that image and marketing has that much of an effect.. They just feel right, the weight, the finish, etc..

I ended up liking the tallness, never a worry about wheelbite (and being able to run 57mm conical fulls with no risers), and I'm tall with big feet.. it kind of makes sense in a way. They're actually really stable, I'm sure different people have different experiences based on what they use them for. The slow, deep turn is just what I like.

I didn't mind my time with ACE, the hight is perfect, the turn is golden.. But the quality is shit, and the geo makes bombing and going fast more risky than it needs to be.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1790 on: January 01, 2017, 12:50:42 PM »
Interesting how Ace Joey T is all "jah rastafari one love" and then makes a living ripping people off with made in china trucks that are riddled with problems. You gotta cross your fingers if you order them and hope you get a set that doesn't have some sort of defect.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1791 on: January 01, 2017, 02:33:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Ace 44's are about 53mm in height which is lower than Indy stage 10 even. They definitely don't feel tall or tippy or anything like that.. Which actually is weird cause they're the only trucks I've tested that you can ride super fucking loose and turny and never really get wheelbite, even with 54mm+ wheels.

aha now you got me going, i guess i will have to pick up that set of ace 44 at my local ;D

Interesting how Ace Joey T is all "jah rastafari one love" and then makes a living ripping people off with made in china trucks that are riddled with problems. You gotta cross your fingers if you order them and hope you get a set that doesn't have some sort of defect.

yeah that really offsets my curiosity to try another set but my 03 did feel nice for the 3 weeks i had them on. the turn was just right, the grind felt amazing and smooth, the weight was perfect. then the infamous kingpin wobble. but hey maybe the new 44 is all around better. kinda pricey though for the risk...

[/quote]

[/quote]

thats how i feel about my krux in a way, they feel so nostalgic. riding a truck i use to ride setup after setup cause they were perfectly adjusted and i didnt have to take days to get use to a new deck, the trucks just worked for me and i loved everything about them. the brand, the riders, the look, the idea.

but compared to thunders and theeve all around qualities...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2017, 02:43:24 PM by rob »
yes

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #1792 on: January 01, 2017, 05:39:18 PM »
Ace 44's aren't much of an improvement than they used to be. Heavier, still bend according to what I've read one person say on here. I've had two sets with loose kingpins, another two that had wonky hangers with bad axle facings. One set with a longer axle than the other truck, and pretty much all of these made my set-up sound dead when the wheels hit the ground or I popped, even before the kingpins started becoming loose.

Ace has the potential to be the best truck out, the turning is unreal, but until they lay off the grass and make some improvements with their QC I will no longer be backing them.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1793 on: January 01, 2017, 06:22:06 PM »
aha dang, sounds like a real gamble to try now...

hmmm...shell out $60 for a set of china trucks or just skate my reliable thunders...

probably gonna be sometime before i make the move. so thunders.

well i went back out for a session today swapping my trucks to the next seeing which really suited me and this is how it went

i love krux, theyre nice trucks, they felt nice(not great but good) butttttttt....they were kinda tall, my ollies were popped but that height was messing with my flatground which is one of my favorite things to skate so moving on to theeve

theeves were almost great, very good. pop and response amazing, ollie up curbs and quick deep turn at speed no hassle, ollie over things very good pop, response and impact stability. sad though cause flatground game was alright, good alright. just not as good as thunders.
when i say flatground though i mean flip trick feel.

im not gonna totally throw the theeves to the curb but i think if i couldnt ride thunder then theeve is on the backup. for now til i go psycho thunder 147 hi standard is what i ride.
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1794 on: January 01, 2017, 06:59:23 PM »
Guys, I've posted this before and I know it's something you shouldn't have to do with a pair of trucks to make them work/last but epoxying the loose kingpins on Aces works nicely. I've got both sets of Main's loose kingpin 44s and I epoxied the kingpins in place to get rid of the dead sound and so far have had zero issues with them. Just saying, a loose kingpin shouldn't be something that makes you throw away your trucks as the fix is both easy and cheap. These are my first pair of Aces and I really like them. Stock bottom and Bones medium top bushing. Nice surfy turns but still stable for higher speed stuff. I'll promote the Aces from my cruiser set up to my main set up once my leg heals up and demote my Indys to my cruiser set up.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1795 on: January 01, 2017, 08:00:03 PM »
Guys, I've posted this before and I know it's something you shouldn't have to do with a pair of trucks to make them work/last but epoxying the loose kingpins on Aces works nicely. I've got both sets of Main's loose kingpin 44s and I epoxied the kingpins in place to get rid of the dead sound and so far have had zero issues with them. Just saying, a loose kingpin shouldn't be something that makes you throw away your trucks as the fix is both easy and cheap. These are my first pair of Aces and I really like them. Stock bottom and Bones medium top bushing. Nice surfy turns but still stable for higher speed stuff. I'll promote the Aces from my cruiser set up to my main set up once my leg heals up and demote my Indys to my cruiser set up.

Can also throw in a krux kingpin to fix and reduce weight.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1796 on: January 02, 2017, 01:32:35 AM »
Sent an E-Mail to NHS regarding Krux Bushings and as to why they don't have them in stock and also when they'll have them "In-Stock" again. Has anyone gotten a response? sent it almost 4 days ago. Can't find them anywhere online or my local. Anyone on here wanna PM me and possibly do a proxy via their local that carries it then i'm willing to get a couple and compensate for the help.

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1797 on: January 02, 2017, 01:49:05 AM »
aha dang, sounds like a real gamble to try now...

hmmm...shell out $60 for a set of china trucks or just skate my reliable thunders...

probably gonna be sometime before i make the move. so thunders.

well i went back out for a session today swapping my trucks to the next seeing which really suited me and this is how it went

i love krux, theyre nice trucks, they felt nice(not great but good) butttttttt....they were kinda tall, my ollies were popped but that height was messing with my flatground which is one of my favorite things to skate so moving on to theeve

theeves were almost great, very good. pop and response amazing, ollie up curbs and quick deep turn at speed no hassle, ollie over things very good pop, response and impact stability. sad though cause flatground game was alright, good alright. just not as good as thunders.
when i say flatground though i mean flip trick feel.

im not gonna totally throw the theeves to the curb but i think if i couldnt ride thunder then theeve is on the backup. for now til i go psycho thunder 147 hi standard is what i ride.

I think that you need to sell everything and leave only one set haha

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1798 on: January 02, 2017, 02:47:53 AM »
Ahaha I wish I could sell some of my trucks but I know I'd regret it when my curiosity comes around.

All this Indy talk reminded me...I have a set of Indy 139 lows I was backing hard some months ago and I threw them on and they are...GREAT!

Idk why I even took them off, probably got caught up trying other stuff and got lost but damn...! I remember I backed them cause I always mention my love for lower trucks and these are lower trucks(like my ace03) that turned really well and deep especially for LOWs

Idk they're that Indy deep turn and response but because they're low the stability to me is better since lower center of gravity

I think I'm back to the Indy 139 lows, they fix everything I was missing in my setup feel. Low, solid, good turn, good response, good weight, and flip trick feel is amazing.

I deserve the coming negatives to my rep for all this trouble but I think I'm gonna be off this thread for some time now. These Indy lows just work for me too well, especially with my wheels of choice(bones STF) I think I can actually say, I've got my goto reliable truck&wheel setup.
yes

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1799 on: January 02, 2017, 07:03:06 AM »
skating some Indy 149, stage 11, 2yr old cast baseplates, with titanium hangars, indy aftermarket orange conical bushings

hardly art, hardly starving