Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220956 times)

BMCsteve

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1830 on: January 06, 2017, 03:49:53 PM »
Indy replacemet bushigs.  Conical or cylinders ? What's the difference /pros and cons of each?

Conicals = more turny and cylinder = less turny but more stable or am I way off?

You're exactly correct.  From there it's just figuring out the right duro.  I like the orange conical for street and the red cylinder for tranny

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1831 on: January 06, 2017, 11:33:18 PM »
wat up slappers, im back

so being back on the indy 139 lows(like i was months ago) i saw the sale thread and got a good discount on some of those hot hot indy hollow gravity cast hollows LOWS and im happy, got those bad boys and set them up, was so psyched to go skate. everythings going perfect, especially my wheelie game is smoother, probably new bushings, but then i notice something just a tad off. my back truck is some how this smoothly looser than my front truck even though theyre both tightened about flush.

i take the trucks hangars off to discover who ever puts the trucks together at the factory is blowing it, the sharp edge flat side of the bushing is hangar side on one truck and smooth round edge on the other(the back looser feeling truck)

it got me all crazy again thinking, which side of cylinder bushings goes in the yoke or whatever you call the bushing cup of the hangar?

i wanna hear replies even though im just gonna stick to the traditional sharp edge flat side touching the hangar since thats the way it is with conicals/only way with conicals cause what dummy would put conicals upside down
yes

Jud Nestorkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1832 on: January 07, 2017, 01:24:26 AM »
my back truck is some how this smoothly looser than my front truck even though theyre both tightened about flush.

This always happens to me. Every time I get new trucks and put in new bushings I try to make them the same tightness and when I get them about perfect it always looks as if one truck should be much tighter than the other lol.

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1833 on: January 07, 2017, 01:27:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Indy replacemet bushigs.  Conical or cylinders ? What's the difference /pros and cons of each?

Conicals = more turny and cylinder = less turny but more stable or am I way off?
[close]

You're exactly correct.  From there it's just figuring out the right duro.  I like the orange conical for street and the red cylinder for tranny

are those the INDEPENDENT 90A LOW CONICAL MEDIUM BUSHINGS? How do they fit 149 11s ?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1834 on: January 07, 2017, 06:26:56 AM »
Expand Quote
anyone know if and how much is wheelbite an issue when riding thunders loose?
[close]

If you skate 54+ wheels and loose thunders make sure you have a good life insurance policy
Just to add some contrast, I skate 54's with team plate 149's and never wheel bite really(don't skate drops...), I use hard bushings though, got more wheelbite on indy's using medium/soft ones

BMCsteve

« Reply #1835 on: January 07, 2017, 08:11:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

are those the INDEPENDENT 90A LOW CONICAL MEDIUM BUSHINGS? How do they fit 149 11s ?

use the regular ones unless you have lows

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #1836 on: January 11, 2017, 01:02:16 PM »
Anyone ever use the thunder 147s hollow lights? Same height as the regular 147s? Weight difference?

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #1837 on: January 11, 2017, 01:55:34 PM »
are tensor mag light reg trucks pieces of shit like ive heard or are they actually ok?

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1838 on: January 11, 2017, 02:04:42 PM »
Anyone ever use the thunder 147s hollow lights? Same height as the regular 147s? Weight difference?

They're about 1.5-2mm lower than the regular 147's, and the regulars are kinda low-ish already. The 147 lights are only about 1.5mm higher than indy lows I think, so they're stable as shit but they don't really turn that well if you're used to skate ace's or indy highs.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #1839 on: January 11, 2017, 02:27:50 PM »
are tensor mag light reg trucks pieces of shit like ive heard or are they actually ok?

Are you thinking about getting Tensors?

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #1840 on: January 11, 2017, 03:10:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Are you thinking about getting Tensors?

i saw some for $30 and i was thinking of making a useless flatground/freestyle board, so yeah i am

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1841 on: January 11, 2017, 05:42:07 PM »
Skated some Theeve Tih 5.5s (8.18" Axle) today, stock bushings with the bones washer on bottom, krux pin.

Wow! I forgot how easy Theeve were to skate, like less squirrly ACEs (not a stretch seeing as the V1 protos were ran with Ace plates). Felt really stable for ollies and manuals and were still carvey enough for me not to die and be able to recover. And this is after being off the board for a loooooong time due to injury (fuck you ankle) and all the rain.

Grinding rough crete was awesome and cold/sticky square metal edges were not a problem at all. The new 'hardcore' bushings, I dare say, break in far easier than Bones Meds which leads me to believe they are tad bit softer; they felt like really worn in Bones meds.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:48:41 PM by Xen »

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1842 on: January 11, 2017, 10:38:16 PM »
So right now I'm riding Indy 149s hollow (cast, not forged base since the forged base is 1-2 mm lower) with the medium orange Indy replacement bushings. I have them as loose as I can to where when I turn the board upside down and put all my pressure on the truck with my hand it just barely avoids wheelbite.

Best trucks I've ever ridden hands down.

Also I do way more frontside grinds than backside so every new deck I put the truck that was on the back on the front on the new board and th back on the front. This way it grinds down more evenly. Since I try to have both trucks as close to the same tightness as I can (that way if I have to use the nose as the tail it feels the same), I never really notice a difference. This also helps get that nice groove on both trucks evenly.

Otherwise I never really fuck with my trucks.

Oh and sometimes if I think about it and am not in a hurry/anxious to set up my board I put a sticker over the mounting holes before I put on the trucks. Heard Mikey Taylor does this because he heard Koston do it. It's supposed to help prevent creaking. Now I know that the main source of creaking is from the pivot cups drying out and maybe it's a placebo but it seems to work to me.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 10:43:17 PM by Jud Nestorkins »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1843 on: January 11, 2017, 11:24:18 PM »
Skated some Theeve Tih 5.5s (8.18" Axle) today, stock bushings with the bones washer on bottom, krux pin.

Wow! I forgot how easy Theeve were to skate, like less squirrly ACEs (not a stretch seeing as the V1 protos were ran with Ace plates). Felt really stable for ollies and manuals and were still carvey enough for me not to die and be able to recover. And this is after being off the board for a loooooong time due to injury (fuck you ankle) and all the rain.

Grinding rough crete was awesome and cold/sticky square edges were not a problem at all. The new 'hardcore' bushings, I dare say, break in far easier than Bones Meds which leads me to believe they are tad bit softer; they felt like really worn in Bones meds.

I find curbs grind super good...angle iron and coping not as good...and sparks fly regularly.....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1844 on: January 12, 2017, 12:27:59 AM »
hmmmmmm... do you guys think they change or tweak the indy aftermarket bushings formula from time to time ?

i have some for my lows i bought a year ago i think maybe longer and i noticed compared to the previous aftermarkets that had they seem about the same, nothing different but the color of the bushings were very different, the old ones were like if you made bushings with a bunch of melted plain colored crayons but the ones that they have now(and that i bought a year ago) look like the regular glossy bushings we all have.

i threw the year old aftermarket indy mediums i have in my new indys and they do feel snappier, a little more stable somehow too for conicals compared to the stock cylinder(maybe cause the stock are softer 88a or squishier)  but im having an ocd moment as usual thinking if they tweaked the formula recently, do they change the formula often is my question and has it been recent?

everyone on slap boasting the indy aftermarkets are really getting to me, i feel like they might be like insoles where the stock is usually kinda trash but when you buy aftermarket insoles like footprints they make everything better

yes

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1845 on: January 12, 2017, 09:13:34 AM »
Are the colors of stock Indy bushings supposed to mean something? I bought a pair of 139mm low Stage 10s. They come with red bushings and I'll need to replace them. I plan on skating them until they smash, but still I'm curious about the best way to replace them. Are the reds supposed to be the softer ones? These are tiny little conical bushings. Never seen conical bushings on low trucks before.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1846 on: January 12, 2017, 09:35:21 AM »
Are the colors of stock Indy bushings supposed to mean something? I bought a pair of 139mm low Stage 10s. They come with red bushings and I'll need to replace them. I plan on skating them until they smash, but still I'm curious about the best way to replace them. Are the reds supposed to be the softer ones? These are tiny little conical bushings. Never seen conical bushings on low trucks before.

The colors of the aftermarket bushings are designated by size.  All red aftermarkets are 88a, all orange are 90a, etc.  However, all stock indy bushings regardless of color are 90a

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #1847 on: January 12, 2017, 01:03:36 PM »
pretty stupid question i guess, but i better know: is there a difference between indy pivot cups and thunder pivot cups? my pivot cups just went really bad and i ordered some of the replacement kits that thunder offers, but i might as well get some indy pivot cups from a shop! i just ask if there is anything different in the geometry or something- thanks!!!

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1848 on: January 12, 2017, 02:34:02 PM »
Just in case anyone forgot (like I did), put plain uncoloured paraffin wax in your pivot cups, and at any other rubbing areas of your truck.

Nothing else quiets trucks down like p-wax. And it lasts.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1849 on: January 12, 2017, 05:11:53 PM »
pretty stupid question i guess, but i better know: is there a difference between indy pivot cups and thunder pivot cups? my pivot cups just went really bad and i ordered some of the replacement kits that thunder offers, but i might as well get some indy pivot cups from a shop! i just ask if there is anything different in the geometry or something- thanks!!!

Not that you could notice, both are hard and shitty plastic.

micky682

« Reply #1850 on: January 12, 2017, 06:36:04 PM »
Just in case anyone forgot (like I did), put plain uncoloured paraffin wax in your pivot cups, and at any other rubbing areas of your truck.

Is skate wax made out of parrafin wax?

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1851 on: January 12, 2017, 07:22:47 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Is skate wax made out of parrafin wax?

Supposedly.. But I wouldn't trust most skate wax, using the pure stuff is always a safe bet. Who knows what the colouring and whatnot could do when left in your cups and such!

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1852 on: January 12, 2017, 11:58:57 PM »

[/b]

Why do you want to quiet down your setup? Can't stand setup too quiet, feels like a toy to me.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #1853 on: January 13, 2017, 12:02:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not that you could notice, both are hard and shitty plastic.
hahahahaahah thanks!!!

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1854 on: January 13, 2017, 12:52:58 AM »
Thinking of setting up a cruiser for the summer with a wider shaped deck and wider trucks. I've been on 149s since forever.

Been eyeing some decks and came across a Jason Jessee 8.9" one. I guess 159s would be better for that. Then again I rather like the new BA 9.25" too and I presume 169s would be better suited for that. Help me out here guys. Which size do you find more versatile for a cruiser and what width decks would be ok with the 159s and 169s? 149s on 8.25" work nicely for me, so I don't go super OCD about a few mm of overhang.  ;D

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1855 on: January 13, 2017, 04:25:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The colors of the aftermarket bushings are designated by size.  All red aftermarkets are 88a, all orange are 90a, etc.  However, all stock indy bushings regardless of color are 90a

Are you sure ? Ron Whaley back when you could post questions on the nhs website told me stock Indy bushings are always 88a
yes

BMCsteve

« Reply #1856 on: January 13, 2017, 06:48:47 AM »
Thinking of setting up a cruiser for the summer with a wider shaped deck and wider trucks. I've been on 149s since forever.

Been eyeing some decks and came across a Jason Jessee 8.9" one. I guess 159s would be better for that. Then again I rather like the new BA 9.25" too and I presume 169s would be better suited for that. Help me out here guys. Which size do you find more versatile for a cruiser and what width decks would be ok with the 159s and 169s? 149s on 8.25" work nicely for me, so I don't go super OCD about a few mm of overhang.  ;D

I think 159's are more versatile for the majority of us.  Keep in mind that most shaped boards taper.  That 8.9 Jason Jessee board you're looking at is actually about 8.6 over the rear trucks.  Indy 169's are 9.125 so you'll be hot doggin on the rear.

Most people including BA seem to be skating 159's on his shape again because of the taper

As a general rule -

159s - 8.6 - 9
160s - 8.8+

BMCsteve

« Reply #1857 on: January 13, 2017, 06:51:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Stock stage 10's were 88, stock stage 11's are 90
Are you sure ? Ron Whaley back when you could post questions on the nhs website told me stock Indy bushings are always 88a

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1858 on: January 13, 2017, 09:49:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think 159's are more versatile for the majority of us.  Keep in mind that most shaped boards taper.  That 8.9 Jason Jessee board you're looking at is actually about 8.6 over the rear trucks.  Indy 169's are 9.125 so you'll be hot doggin on the rear.

Most people including BA seem to be skating 159's on his shape again because of the taper

As a general rule -

159s - 8.6 - 9
160s - 8.8+

Thanks for the input man.

It's this deck
http://www.blacksheepstore.co.uk/santa-cruz-jason-jessee-mono-black-skateboard-deck-8-9.html

Doesn't look like it tapers very much, but it's hard to say from such pics.

For some reason I'm having a real hard time with this as I don't know exactly what kind of a cruiser I'm gonna want to ride in the future. I have to say that I'm not feeling the 10" wide old school fish shapes at all, so maybe 159s would be a safer choice, but for some reason I feel like they might be too close to 149s and thus not be different enough. Something about the 169s tempt me I guess.  ;D

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1859 on: January 13, 2017, 09:55:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ron Whaley was fucking with you....
you never know about pre-cum