Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220949 times)

BMCsteve

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1860 on: January 13, 2017, 10:07:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thinking of setting up a cruiser for the summer with a wider shaped deck and wider trucks. I've been on 149s since forever.

Been eyeing some decks and came across a Jason Jessee 8.9" one. I guess 159s would be better for that. Then again I rather like the new BA 9.25" too and I presume 169s would be better suited for that. Help me out here guys. Which size do you find more versatile for a cruiser and what width decks would be ok with the 159s and 169s? 149s on 8.25" work nicely for me, so I don't go super OCD about a few mm of overhang.  ;D
[close]

I think 159's are more versatile for the majority of us.  Keep in mind that most shaped boards taper.  That 8.9 Jason Jessee board you're looking at is actually about 8.6 over the rear trucks.  Indy 169's are 9.125 so you'll be hot doggin on the rear.

Most people including BA seem to be skating 159's on his shape again because of the taper

As a general rule -

159s - 8.6 - 9
160s - 8.8+

[close]

Thanks for the input man.

It's this deck
http://www.blacksheepstore.co.uk/santa-cruz-jason-jessee-mono-black-skateboard-deck-8-9.html

Doesn't look like it tapers very much, but it's hard to say from such pics.

For some reason I'm having a real hard time with this as I don't know exactly what kind of a cruiser I'm gonna want to ride in the future. I have to say that I'm not feeling the 10" wide old school fish shapes at all, so maybe 159s would be a safer choice, but for some reason I feel like they might be too close to 149s and thus not be different enough. Something about the 169s tempt me I guess.  ;D

Here's how I estimate taper when buying a board online.  Where the red line is touching is the max width (8.9). 

Welcome to my world of insanity

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1861 on: January 13, 2017, 10:15:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Thinking of setting up a cruiser for the summer with a wider shaped deck and wider trucks. I've been on 149s since forever.

Been eyeing some decks and came across a Jason Jessee 8.9" one. I guess 159s would be better for that. Then again I rather like the new BA 9.25" too and I presume 169s would be better suited for that. Help me out here guys. Which size do you find more versatile for a cruiser and what width decks would be ok with the 159s and 169s? 149s on 8.25" work nicely for me, so I don't go super OCD about a few mm of overhang.  ;D
[close]

I think 159's are more versatile for the majority of us.  Keep in mind that most shaped boards taper.  That 8.9 Jason Jessee board you're looking at is actually about 8.6 over the rear trucks.  Indy 169's are 9.125 so you'll be hot doggin on the rear.

Most people including BA seem to be skating 159's on his shape again because of the taper

As a general rule -

159s - 8.6 - 9
160s - 8.8+

[close]

Thanks for the input man.

It's this deck
http://www.blacksheepstore.co.uk/santa-cruz-jason-jessee-mono-black-skateboard-deck-8-9.html

Doesn't look like it tapers very much, but it's hard to say from such pics.

For some reason I'm having a real hard time with this as I don't know exactly what kind of a cruiser I'm gonna want to ride in the future. I have to say that I'm not feeling the 10" wide old school fish shapes at all, so maybe 159s would be a safer choice, but for some reason I feel like they might be too close to 149s and thus not be different enough. Something about the 169s tempt me I guess.  ;D
[close]

Here's how I estimate taper when buying a board online.  Where the red line is touching is the max width (8.9). 

Welcome to my world of insanity

Well damn. Nice one, I like the way you're thinking! You could also put that in some image editing program and measure the exact width using the widest point as a reference (if the listed width is for the widest point that is).  ;D

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1862 on: January 13, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
There's a real difference between 149s and 159s, I got the 59s to build a cruiser. They ended being on my regular street setup! I love em.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1863 on: January 13, 2017, 11:19:57 PM »
There's a real difference between 149s and 159s, I got the 59s to build a cruiser. They ended being on my regular street setup! I love em.

Thank you. You have helped me ease my mind a bit about my decision.

Oh and BMCsteve. Your insanity inspired me to actually put the image of the deck in Pixelmator and measure the widths along the front and back trucks. Got 8,79" for the front and 8,63" on the back. Seems like the 159s would be a very nice match with this deck. I guess I gotta pull the trigger on this one then as I've been yapping about it so much on here already.  ;D

BMCsteve

« Reply #1864 on: January 14, 2017, 06:56:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thank you. You have helped me ease my mind a bit about my decision.

Oh and BMCsteve. Your insanity inspired me to actually put the image of the deck in Pixelmator and measure the widths along the front and back trucks. Got 8,79" for the front and 8,63" on the back. Seems like the 159s would be a very nice match with this deck. I guess I gotta pull the trigger on this one then as I've been yapping about it so much on here already.  ;D

Nice!  good call on the Pixelmator work.  post a pic of the setup once you get it together

Doughboy

• Rep: 21
  • Coffee and Advil
« Reply #1865 on: January 14, 2017, 08:24:38 PM »
Hello fellow truck nerds. Now I know that I am kind of breaking thread etiquette by posting about a sale in this thread, but if any of you like old Indy stuff I don't think anyone will mind(I apologize if anyone is bothered by me posting this here)
I'm selling my collection of Indy stage 7 and stage 8 size 146 8.25's. I started a thread in the classifieds so go ahead and check that out any info and my ebay link is there.
Like I said I'm sorry if it is distasteful to post this here, but I've read on the forum many times people saying that they'd love to have some older stage Indy's. Well now is the chance. Thank you all very much for any interest.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #1866 on: January 16, 2017, 09:05:14 AM »
Anybody know when the Team Hollows will be available?

BMCsteve

« Reply #1867 on: January 16, 2017, 09:46:17 AM »
Anybody know when the Team Hollows will be available?

They're out.  Socal and tactics have them

VCR

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1868 on: January 16, 2017, 02:39:27 PM »
Not going to buy from an online shop

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #1869 on: January 16, 2017, 03:04:39 PM »
Then they are going to be out for you until your local shop stocks them.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1870 on: January 16, 2017, 03:07:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Seriously, ask your shop then, holier than thou fuck.
you never know about pre-cum 

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #1871 on: January 16, 2017, 03:18:55 PM »
you can get them on sale for $40 bucks on tactics if you are willing to sell your soul to the devil

VCR

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1872 on: January 16, 2017, 03:31:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ill order from a legit shop that has a website

Zimmer

« Reply #1873 on: January 16, 2017, 03:38:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

But isn't a legit shops website (that sells things) technically an online shop?

Double jeopardy

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1874 on: January 16, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Double jeopardy

What is an online skate shop?
yes

Zimmer

« Reply #1875 on: January 16, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Double jeopardy
[close]

I don't know.  :)

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1876 on: January 16, 2017, 04:18:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Double jeopardy
[close]

[close]

I don't know.  :)

SoCal is a legit skateshop...
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Zimmer

« Reply #1877 on: January 16, 2017, 05:01:30 PM »
This is so awkward.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #1878 on: January 17, 2017, 09:15:01 AM »
This is so awkward.
It's only awkward if someone points it out. That's how it works, right?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1879 on: January 17, 2017, 10:55:21 AM »
SoCal

SW

Tactics

Active (kind of)

Are all legit brick and mortar shops with huge online presence...hell I've driven to Socal (2hrs) just because of their selection and I'm in L.A. and can easily hit up my local (5min away), Vans (ugh), Active (great selection for a non-core shop and all everyone working there skates), Kayo, Primitive, Diamond, all local.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1880 on: January 17, 2017, 11:23:55 AM »
Last I was passing by the Kayo store it's now k.o.

kinda bummed I didn't get the team hollows on sale when they were on whatever site had the sale

yes

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1881 on: January 18, 2017, 05:49:26 AM »
So I just found my complete old set of bones mediums. I've always ridden no bottom washer and loved it but haven't tried bones on stage 11s yet.

No bottom washer or yes because otherwise it'll fuck with the stage 11s geo?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1882 on: January 18, 2017, 07:37:54 AM »
So I just found my complete old set of bones mediums. I've always ridden no bottom washer and loved it but haven't tried bones on stage 11s yet.

no bottom washer is fine on Stage 11s... but I gotta tell ya, Im a recent (within last year) convert to the aftermarket Indy bushings from years upon years of bones med, and the aftermarkets feel worlds better. 
hardly art, hardly starving

micky682

« Reply #1883 on: January 18, 2017, 07:59:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

no bottom washer is fine on Stage 11s... but I gotta tell ya, Im a recent (within last year) convert to the aftermarket Indy bushings from years upon years of bones med, and the aftermarkets feel worlds better. 
I bought a pair just as the cold weather started hitting and they are pretty good. I'm hoping once it goes above 60 fahrenheit they'll become even softer.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1884 on: January 18, 2017, 09:13:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Really? On my last set of Indys they were pretty good but I've tried the Indy hard, medium, and every combo of the two and nothing felt quite right. Then when I put in the Bones it was like I was I came back home. It was exactly what I had been looking for.

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1885 on: January 18, 2017, 07:00:49 PM »
I put a set of Bones Mediums in my Thunder 149s, blew the tops out in one 2-1/2hr. session. They fell apart, second time its happened to me this year. I'm going back to stock Thunder clear yellow or white.

I found an old set of red 88a Indy bushings & they feel harder than the stock Thunder clear yellow 90a. Weird, but now I'm back to the stock Thunder parts.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1886 on: January 18, 2017, 10:46:05 PM »
I put a set of Bones Mediums in my Thunder 149s, blew the tops out in one 2-1/2hr. session. They fell apart, second time its happened to me this year. I'm going back to stock Thunder clear yellow or white.

I found an old set of red 88a Indy bushings & they feel harder than the stock Thunder clear yellow 90a. Weird, but now I'm back to the stock Thunder parts.
Do you use a top washer? The last  Time I used bones was in a set of thunder 149's without a bottom washer and they still look brand-new other than being dirty.

Sanyway, I found that set of bones mediums and now I'm back on bones. It's like coming home after a long day at work.

I have no doubt that most people like Indys with Indy bushings way more but even loose the medium ones seemed to turn a bit more sloppy than I'd prefer.

I've always used only a top washer with bones but that leaves too much of the kingpin exposed for my liking with my current set of Indys. However with a bottom washer I can leave the nut flush and it's perfect. Looser than I've ever ridden before but the bones have a nice, quick rebound compared to my Indys and I've found it's a lot funner to ride looser trucks.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1887 on: January 19, 2017, 01:57:04 AM »
Truck enthusiasts, don't know if any of you have seen this but looks like Thunder is working on something for Ishod
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPGUy3GgasH/?taken-by=morfordmedia

morfordmedia @brandon.starr test trucks for Ishod

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1888 on: January 19, 2017, 02:04:57 AM »
Truck enthusiasts, don't know if any of you have seen this but looks like Thunder is working on something for Ishod
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPGUy3GgasH/?taken-by=morfordmedia

Expand Quote
morfordmedia @brandon.starr test trucks for Ishod
[close]

Dang are they imprinting 147 on the wheel side like the 149ers now ?

Yeah I saw the exact same thing when I saw the clip of Frank's front board and kept pausing when he showed the trucks cause I thought is that a different baseplate or did he slide them like that??

It was really wigging me out and now we got confirmation my eyes weren't fooling me. I'm sure it's a new baseplate to help with nose and tail slides cause that one thread about thunders being good for nose and tail slides was a true thing, I noticed the wheels stick out more than the baseplate on thunders and it does make slides a little trickier to lock into

Who'd a thought
yes

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1889 on: January 19, 2017, 03:58:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Do you use a top washer? The last  Time I used bones was in a set of thunder 149's without a bottom washer and they still look brand-new other than being dirty.

Yes, I had on the bottom washer and theBones flat top washer. The hey felt great until they were mushed out.