Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220856 times)

BMCsteve

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1890 on: January 19, 2017, 07:01:06 AM »
Truck enthusiasts, don't know if any of you have seen this but looks like Thunder is working on something for Ishod
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPGUy3GgasH/?taken-by=morfordmedia

Expand Quote
morfordmedia @brandon.starr test trucks for Ishod
[close]

Someone should post this in the "are thunders good for tail slides?" thread.  Stoked to see they are doing that now

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1891 on: January 19, 2017, 07:40:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Truck enthusiasts, don't know if any of you have seen this but looks like Thunder is working on something for Ishod
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPGUy3GgasH/?taken-by=morfordmedia

Expand Quote
morfordmedia @brandon.starr test trucks for Ishod
[close]
[close]

Dang are they imprinting 147 on the wheel side like the 149ers now ?

Yeah I saw the exact same thing when I saw the clip of Frank's front board and kept pausing when he showed the trucks cause I thought is that a different baseplate or did he slide them like that??

It was really wigging me out and now we got confirmation my eyes weren't fooling me. I'm sure it's a new baseplate to help with nose and tail slides cause that one thread about thunders being good for nose and tail slides was a true thing, I noticed the wheels stick out more than the baseplate on thunders and it does make slides a little trickier to lock into

Who'd a thought

would a new 147 be the same height as the 149ii?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

shitdick22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #1892 on: January 23, 2017, 09:40:03 AM »

8)
They turn like a dream
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:44:02 AM by shitdick22 »

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1893 on: January 23, 2017, 09:55:08 AM »
^can't believe that, not the same geometry

shitdick22

« Reply #1894 on: January 23, 2017, 10:00:49 AM »

Turns way better than the thunder baseplate because the indy pivot cup is a little bigger and gives it more room to travel. It also makes the truck wobble a little even when it isn't super loose which makes it feel more responsive. Try it for yourself if you don't believe me.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1895 on: January 23, 2017, 10:17:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Turns way better than the thunder baseplate because the indy pivot cup is a little bigger and gives it more room to travel. It also makes the truck wobble a little even when it isn't super loose which makes it feel more responsive. Try it for yourself if you don't believe me.
i don't want wobbling in my trucks, but to each his thing...
i frankesteined destructos and indys once, horrible in the 2 possibilities(hanger/embase)

calvinsdream

« Reply #1896 on: January 23, 2017, 10:48:01 AM »
So now that we're mixing trucks, when should we open the can of worms that is...

mixing the top/bottom bushing durometers?

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #1897 on: January 23, 2017, 11:15:12 AM »
I have a set of theeve titanium kingpins I got years ago but never used. I wanna try them on my thunder titaniums but that hollow kingpin/forged baseplate combo is a bitch. Does putting the baseplate in the oven for 20 minutes on 500 really work? My main trucks are polished but I do have an extra set of forged base plates in blue I might experiment with if I don't have to worry about the paint in the oven

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1898 on: January 23, 2017, 11:31:13 AM »
paint is going to create toxic smokes i think, harder than dog drugs
if by polished you mean raw, it will work, don't hesitate to put them back in the oven if it needs way too much hammer hits, and be careful, shit is hot !

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1899 on: January 23, 2017, 04:53:34 PM »
I have a set of theeve titanium kingpins I got years ago but never used. I wanna try them on my thunder titaniums but that hollow kingpin/forged baseplate combo is a bitch. Does putting the baseplate in the oven for 20 minutes on 500 really work? My main trucks are polished but I do have an extra set of forged base plates in blue I might experiment with if I don't have to worry about the paint in the oven

They won't fit (I've tried), the spines are different - they'd fit in standard cast plates.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #1900 on: January 23, 2017, 05:35:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

They won't fit (I've tried), the spines are different - they'd fit in standard cast plates.

Thanks for saving me the hassle . I'll have to find some cast plates in the classifieds or ebay whenever I feel like experimenting

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1901 on: January 23, 2017, 06:14:31 PM »
So now that we're mixing trucks, when should we open the can of worms that is...

i've seen some guys run a bones soft/med combo. not sure if it was on here but it's already happening out there somewhere

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1902 on: January 23, 2017, 08:50:40 PM »
I have Thunder-Indy's set up on my cruiser board. Agree about the pivot cup. I took out the bottom washers too--nice and wobbly now.
The Indy baseplates make them a little higher too, which is nice. But I'm using risers, so it doesn't really matter anyway.

Pretty much just trying to salvage these Thunders that I bought a couple months ago. I went from kinda liking them, to hating them, to switching back to Indy Indy's, in just a few weeks. They're alright for cruising around though. Kind of like that quick, carvy response going down the sidewalk.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1903 on: January 24, 2017, 01:53:31 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i've seen some guys run a bones soft/med combo. not sure if it was on here but it's already happening out there somewhere

aha ive been thinking about this but dont wanna try since i like my stuff equal and balanced(same tightness on front and back trucks and same bushing duros)

cause i heard, i dont remember from here or somewhere else, that the top bushing(smaller) is for stability and rebound while the bottom(bigger bushing) is for turn-ability/response ? so it would make some sort of sense to have say a medium top and a soft bottom for a nice responding truck i would say
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1904 on: January 24, 2017, 02:06:11 AM »
I tried a whole bunch of combos on my Aces last summer:
Ace bushings
Krux bushings
Bones mediums
Bones hards

and I think almost if not all combos you can make with those. Ended up going with Ace bottom and Bones medium top. Very deep and easy turns and still stable. I absolutely love it. Best of both worlds. No wheelbite either. All other combos were wonky in one way or another.

calvinsdream

« Reply #1905 on: January 24, 2017, 08:14:11 AM »
Ace bushings
Krux bushings
Bones mediums
Bones hards

and I think almost if not all combos you can make with those. Ended up going with Ace bottom and Bones medium top. Very deep and easy turns and still stable. I absolutely love it. Best of both worlds. No wheelbite either. All other combos were wonky in one way or another.

Ohh. I might have to try that. Thanks for the tip.

rathernotwalk

« Reply #1906 on: January 24, 2017, 03:36:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

aha ive been thinking about this but dont wanna try since i like my stuff equal and balanced(same tightness on front and back trucks and same
bushing duros)

cause i heard, i dont remember from here or somewhere else, that the top bushing(smaller) is for stability and rebound while the bottom(bigger bushing) is for turn-ability/response ? so it would make some sort of sense to have say a medium top and a soft bottom for a nice responding truck i would say

I thought bones bushings were all one height. One of my setups is bones soft roadside and medium deck side on the front and back because even under my scrawny ass the bones soft will blow out super easy on the deck side.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1907 on: January 24, 2017, 04:16:13 PM »
Thindy. Krace. Theeunder. Destruture. Indulwing. Vensor.

This thread has gone off the rails (pun intended)

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1908 on: January 24, 2017, 09:03:02 PM »
i believe in Thunducto low ;D

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1909 on: January 24, 2017, 09:24:41 PM »
I've seen youness amrani do venture baseplates with thunder hangars. I wonder how that works? A stiffer thunder ?
yes

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #1910 on: January 25, 2017, 05:01:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Ace bushings
Krux bushings
Bones mediums
Bones hards

[close]

What was wrong with krux bushings ?
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1911 on: January 25, 2017, 06:12:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ace bushings
Krux bushings
Bones mediums
Bones hards

[close]

[close]

Unstable and too soft for my taste.

yungapplejuice

« Reply #1912 on: January 25, 2017, 09:39:27 AM »
I'm a complete noob with bushings - only ever rode stock Indy's and never switched the bushings out . I'd like to try out some blue doh dohs (88a) - what kind of washers do I need for em (barrel / cylinder) ? My back truck bottom washer is bashed and curving up , almost cupping the bushing . Also , I read all over about probably having to shave one of the bushings down with the Indy/Dohdoh combo . Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated , wanted to cop the bushings and washers to complete my new setup this weekend .
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:03:41 AM by yungapplejuice »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1913 on: January 25, 2017, 09:54:42 AM »
I'm a complete noob with bushings - only ever rode stock Indy's and never switched the bushings out . I'd like to try out some blue doh dohs (88a) - what kind of washers do I need for em (barrel / conical) ? My back truck bottom washer is bashed and curving up , almost cupping the bushing . Also , I read all over about probably having to shave one of the bushings down with the Indy/Dohdoh combo . Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated , wanted to cop the bushings and washers to complete my new setup this weekend .
I'm sure others will say the same, but here, washers included.
http://www.tactics.com/independent/genuine-standard-cylinder-cushions-2-truck-set/red-soft
you never know about pre-cum 

yungapplejuice

« Reply #1914 on: January 25, 2017, 10:04:39 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm a complete noob with bushings - only ever rode stock Indy's and never switched the bushings out . I'd like to try out some blue doh dohs (88a) - what kind of washers do I need for em (barrel / conical) ? My back truck bottom washer is bashed and curving up , almost cupping the bushing . Also , I read all over about probably having to shave one of the bushings down with the Indy/Dohdoh combo . Any insight/help would be greatly appreciated , wanted to cop the bushings and washers to complete my new setup this weekend .
[close]
I'm sure others will say the same, but here, washers included.
http://www.tactics.com/independent/genuine-standard-cylinder-cushions-2-truck-set/red-soft

Ahhhh perfect dude thx so much , problem solved . I owe you 1

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #1915 on: January 25, 2017, 10:45:45 AM »
After filing down my kingpin working on smith grinds today, I've decided I want try those krux downlow kingpins with my Thunder Ti's. Did a google search and saw that Xen actually had a similar setup in the past, so for him and/or anyone else who's used them with thunders, do you have to use lower aftermarket bushings or were the stock ones fine with the lower kingpin? I'd rather not break in new bushings if I don't have to

BMCsteve

« Reply #1916 on: January 25, 2017, 12:27:21 PM »
After filing down my kingpin working on smith grinds today, I've decided I want try those krux downlow kingpins with my Thunder Ti's. Did a google search and saw that Xen actually had a similar setup in the past, so for him and/or anyone else who's used them with thunders, do you have to use lower aftermarket bushings or were the stock ones fine with the lower kingpin? I'd rather not break in new bushings if I don't have to

word of advice, the krux kingpin will work with the cast Thunder plates but not the forged.  the cavity on the bottom isnt deep enough for the kingpin nut and it sticks out.  every so slightly but enough.  i learned this the hard way haha
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 12:32:16 PM by BMCsteve »

cleveridiot

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1917 on: January 25, 2017, 09:41:30 PM »
Changed the busted bones bushings in my indys after over a year, put conical orange aftermarket indy bushings and minilogo pivot cups. i also sanded down the top bushing a little. they turn great but different from before.
so now my real question: how are riptide pivot cups in indys? do they also fit in thunders?

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #1918 on: January 25, 2017, 11:33:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

word of advice, the krux kingpin will work with the cast Thunder plates but not the forged.  the cavity on the bottom isnt deep enough for the kingpin nut and it sticks out.  every so slightly but enough.  i learned this the hard way haha

mmm, I had a similar problem when trying to install hex heads on some older venture baseplates. I just took a steel file to the edges and it ended up fitting after a few minutes of stoking. I'm sure there's a chance it would do with the nut. 

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #1919 on: January 26, 2017, 02:33:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ace bushings
Krux bushings
Bones mediums
Bones hards

[close]

[close]

[close]

Unstable and too soft for my taste.

I was not comfortable with the wobble at first, but now I'm used to it and I find it very fun to skate.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.