Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220978 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1920 on: January 26, 2017, 09:31:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I tried a whole bunch of combos on my Aces last summer:
Ace bushings
Krux bushings
Bones mediums
Bones hards

and I think almost if not all combos you can make with those. Ended up going with Ace bottom and Bones medium top. Very deep and easy turns and still stable. I absolutely love it. Best of both worlds. No wheelbite either. All other combos were wonky in one way or another.
[close]

Ohh. I might have to try that. Thanks for the tip.
[close]

What was wrong with krux bushings ?
[close]

Unstable and too soft for my taste.
[close]

I was not comfortable with the wobble at first, but now I'm used to it and I find it very fun to skate.

I've never found wobble attractive myself. Also I suck so bad that I want to avoid wheelbite the best I can and with the Krux bushings I'd get wheelbite too easily. It just wasn't what I'm into at all. I know having trucks as loose as possible is something many ppl aim for, but not me. I like stability, but still getting a proper deep turn when I want and avoiding wheelbite. For that the Ace 44s with Ace bottom and Bones medium top bushings seem like the best solution for me. Almost as stable as Indy 149s with Bones hards, much better turn and no wheelbite, which was still a constant issue with the Indys if I landed wrong enough (which I seems to do a lot  ;))

But like I've said before. To each their own. Also I'm somewhat tall and not exactly light. I can't rock soft bushings. I need something beefier.  :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 09:33:45 AM by Roisto »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1921 on: January 26, 2017, 04:34:23 PM »
you guys are crazy mixing baseplates n' shit
thanks to whoever (rob I think) told me just to skate stock thunders so I don't have to deal with all this bullshit

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mongoloid

« Reply #1922 on: January 26, 2017, 05:01:23 PM »
thanks to whoever (rob I think) told me just to skate stock thunders so I don't have to deal with all this bullshit

Stock thunders really are great. I just wish they'd address the axle slip issue, and produce the 147 lows again.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1923 on: January 26, 2017, 10:36:36 PM »

thanks man  ;) :D ;D

yeah stock thunders are boss, theyre just the right formula for street and most other kinds of skating, they turn but just enough that you dont lose control and still get really good rebound and pop response with return to center.

truthfully too the yellows are fine, if you want a smoother feeling turn i think the white ones are better but overall the yellow translucent are still really good. i kinda prefer the yellows just cause they feel like they rebound better even though the white is softer feeling.

back during the indy stage 10 days too i noticed i could only(yes it sounds kooky but true) get my tre flips and tricks clean when i threw some thunder bushings in the indys, maybe the stock stage 10 bushings were trash but honestly i back the thunder 90a bushings being the best(yes better than aftermarket indys that everyone loves)

and i only rode the stage 10ś cause i saw alot of indy ads and noticed so many cool pros backing them so i gave it a whirl but nothing gave me my highlight tricks of my life like thunder 147 hi

one of the best tricks ive ever did/felt /ollie up kickflip down i did off a curb was on a deluxe setup(real, thunder, spitfire) but i say it was the thunders that did it for me cause trucks are the soul of your board like they said in the vans truck wars video, theyre your personality, everyones truck set up is like roisto said. to each their own. thats why im so kooky about trucks.
yes

MOE SYZLAK

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
  • "I never got to taste cantaloupe"
    • Cassette Skate Shop avatar image
« Reply #1924 on: January 29, 2017, 01:10:09 AM »
Anyone know if standard indy kingpins will fit aces?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1925 on: January 29, 2017, 01:53:20 AM »
Anyone know if standard indy kingpins will fit aces?

The grooves are different, so most likely not without considerable violence. I was planning on replacing my wobbly Ace kingpins with Indy kingpins. As Ace kingpins are really hard to come by in Europe, I figured a kingpin is a kingpin and an Indy kingpin would fit just fine. The kingpins looked so different that I decided to just hammer the old ones back in after covering the insides of the hole with a bunch epoxy. I did this last summer to two pairs of Aces. Skated the other pair in my cruiser and so far it's been working out nicely.

bluntstofakie

• Rep: -4
« Reply #1926 on: January 29, 2017, 07:05:06 AM »
The grooves are different, so most likely not without considerable violence. I was planning on replacing my wobbly Ace kingpins with Indy kingpins. As Ace kingpins are really hard to come by in Europe, I figured a kingpin is a kingpin and an Indy kingpin would fit just fine. The kingpins looked so different that I decided to just hammer the old ones back in after covering the insides of the hole with a bunch epoxy. I did this last summer to two pairs of Aces. Skated the other pair in my cruiser and so far it's been working out nicely.
I'm gonna try that shit. I assume the wobbly pins are pretty easy to hammer out right?
was that switch ollie in a turban at 1:18 ?.....trend watch

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1927 on: January 29, 2017, 07:27:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I'm gonna try that shit. I assume the wobbly pins are pretty easy to hammer out right?

Yeah. Just remember to keep the nut on the kingpin, so you don't fuck up the threads. When hammering the kingpin back in, I used a bolt about the same diameter as the base of the kingpin to get the kingpin properly hammered in. Also keep in mind that you're going to need something that'll support the baseplate but lets the kingpin through while doing all the hammering. I used one of these things:

Not sure what they're called in english. And when hammering the kingpin back on, be sure to support it on the base of the kingpin and not on the sides of the baseplates, so your baseplates won't crack or bend. All in all a pretty straightforward job. Just gotta keep a few things in mind.

MaitlandPrivado

• Rep: 29
« Reply #1928 on: January 29, 2017, 07:30:40 AM »
That's a bench vise.

carbonite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 490
    • frozen in carbonite avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1929 on: January 29, 2017, 07:47:11 AM »
Expand Quote
So now that we're mixing trucks, when should we open the can of worms that is...

mixing the top/bottom bushing durometers?
[close]

i've seen some guys run a bones soft/med combo. not sure if it was on here but it's already happening out there somewhere

currently running bones hard top/med bottom

had been running med hard indy aftermarkets...weren't turning right; maybe because of cold weather. this feels pretty good so far; might try straight up hards or med. indy aftermarkets.

Is there any difference between stock Stage 11 bushings and med. (orange) aftermarkets?

BMCsteve

« Reply #1930 on: January 29, 2017, 08:27:02 AM »
Just when I thought I had my truck stuff under control, I stole the Ace 44's off my wife's board and put them on an 8.38 Polar and fell in love with them all over again.

It took me about 30 minutes to get past the mental block that they're heavy as hell and then I had my best session of 2017

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #1931 on: January 29, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »
Are they really that heavy?

It seems like the hanger is so trimmed down that weight really wouldn't be an issue.

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1932 on: January 29, 2017, 12:35:38 PM »

It seems like the hanger is so trimmed down that weight really wouldn't be an issue.

They feel the same as standard Indy 149's (they're technically a little heavier IIRC) to me. So if you're used to those I doubt you'd have any problems.

Mongoloid

« Reply #1933 on: January 29, 2017, 12:46:24 PM »
It's weird if it is actual fact that Ace's are heavier than Indy. One of the reason I never felt I could ride Indy's was the weight, and overall sluggish feel I get from them.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #1934 on: January 29, 2017, 12:51:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They feel the same as standard Indy 149's (they're technically a little heavier IIRC) to me. So if you're used to those I doubt you'd have any problems.

What the fuck, are you guys talking about the ace 44's? I don't know the weight in grams, but I think the Aces feel really light but sturdy.. And easier to "throw around" than most other lights style trucks even. Maybe it's the shaven hanger playing mindtricks but I think they're perfect weight.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1935 on: January 29, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

What the fuck, are you guys talking about the ace 44's? I don't know the weight in grams, but I think the Aces feel really light but sturdy.. And easier to "throw around" than most other lights style trucks even. Maybe it's the shaven hanger playing mindtricks but I think they're perfect weight.

Indy 149 Standards are 394g.  Ace 44 which are technically a smaller truck are 392g.  They're the heaviest truck for their size.

Coming from Skating Indy Ti 149 (338g) and Thunder Ti 149 (311g) you do notice the weight difference

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1936 on: January 30, 2017, 12:21:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah. Just remember to keep the nut on the kingpin, so you don't fuck up the threads. When hammering the kingpin back in, I used a bolt about the same diameter as the base of the kingpin to get the kingpin properly hammered in. Also keep in mind that you're going to need something that'll support the baseplate but lets the kingpin through while doing all the hammering. I used one of these things:

Not sure what they're called in english. And when hammering the kingpin back on, be sure to support it on the base of the kingpin and not on the sides of the baseplates, so your baseplates won't crack or bend. All in all a pretty straightforward job. Just gotta keep a few things in mind.
A Finnish manhole cover is perfect for hammering indy kingpins in/out, holes are just perfect size, not sure about other trucks....
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

N.L.

« Reply #1937 on: January 30, 2017, 09:09:55 AM »
This thread is now crazy.

Here's the truth about finding the perfect set of trucks:

Purchase a set of trucks you're ok with and Ride them.
Ride them, grind them, ride them.
They get better with age.
They are at their optimum and lightest just before they die.

BMCsteve

« Reply #1938 on: January 30, 2017, 09:32:41 AM »
This thread is now crazy.

Here's the truth about finding the perfect set of trucks:

Purchase a set of trucks you're ok with and Ride them.
Ride them, grind them, ride them.
They get better with age.
They are at their optimum and lightest just before they die.

This is 100% correct.  One more suggestion - if you want to be happy with your trucks, stay the hell out of this thread

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1939 on: January 30, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »
ACEs are heavy, no doubt ;)

Riding some TIh 8.18" on an 8.38 (has a nice taper so all good) and some broken in bones meds (bot) soft (tops).

As easy to carve as ace but nice and light and snappier to center for better stability. no problems grinding anything yet.

Dima

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1940 on: January 30, 2017, 12:49:17 PM »
anyone have any updates on the indy 144s?

bluntstofakie

« Reply #1941 on: January 30, 2017, 04:19:28 PM »

Thanks for the info man. I went ahead and hammered the pins out today. They came out way easier than expected. Now I'm thinking about krux kingpins. the splines are the same right? Also what's the best shit to use when reinstalling the kingpin? jb weld? gorilla glue? epoxy?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1942 on: January 30, 2017, 06:57:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Thanks for the info man. I went ahead and hammered the pins out today. They came out way easier than expected. Now I'm thinking about krux kingpins. the splines are the same right? Also what's the best shit to use when reinstalling the kingpin? jb weld? gorilla glue? epoxy?

Krux pins don't have any splines, so you are are all good. I use the JB weld Steel stick or whatever, cut off a bit, roll it around, squish it in there. boom.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1943 on: January 30, 2017, 11:36:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

No problem. About the epoxy, I dunno. We don't have JB Weld widely available here in Finland. I just used some "steel epoxy" from this cheap ass hardware store.
http://www.biltema.fi/fi/Rakentaminen/Kemikaalit/Epoksiliima/Teras-Epoksi-2000035421/

It's more runny than those sticks you rub that Xen suggested for sure. I think it's easier to spread around there. Dunno if it makes any difference in the end though as long as you get it all good in there.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1944 on: February 01, 2017, 01:15:22 PM »
One thing about the krux pins I've not seen mentioned is that you can only really go a bit past flush when you tighten them lest you start digging into the bottom of the deck; keep that in mind if you ride tight and like to crank the nut down vs riding harder duro bushings.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #1945 on: February 01, 2017, 03:42:52 PM »
Threw my Thunder 149 Ti's on a cast baseplate with a krux downlow kingpin today. Can't wait to work on smiths & feebles tomorrow! I was using lucky risers with the forged ones to make up for the lower height, but I'm gonna try them with the taller cast plates for now to see if it helps with wheel bite

bluntstofakie

« Reply #1946 on: February 02, 2017, 12:26:52 PM »
Threw my Thunder 149 Ti's on a cast baseplate with a krux downlow kingpin today. Can't wait to work on smiths & feebles tomorrow! I was using lucky risers with the forged ones to make up for the lower height, but I'm gonna try them with the taller cast plates for now to see if it helps with wheel bite

Damn, that looks like a sick combo sk8dood. Let us know how you make out with your smiths and feebles.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1947 on: February 02, 2017, 04:24:38 PM »
you liking them lucky's?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #1948 on: February 03, 2017, 02:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Damn, that looks like a sick combo sk8dood. Let us know how you make out with your smiths and feebles.

Really digging the downlow kingpins so far! They're a lot more forgiving on smith/feebles if you dip them down too far where standard kingpins would immediately snag.

you liking them lucky's?
Yeah they were a perfect match with the forged Baseplates but they make the trucks a just a little too tall with the cast ones. Gonna set them up on my girls cruiser tho (she actually uses it)

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1949 on: February 03, 2017, 03:10:12 PM »
hey i know this is unrelated but for anyone interested i found out why royals are good and bad, the pros and cons to my second favorite trucks or third. in the top 3 forsure though

so i was feeling wild and put together a project setup where i just throw whatever im curious about to why i threw them to the side kind of setup and put my royals on a classic deluxe with my bones stf and heres the results

Royal trucks standards

Pros:
-good decent turns, wide and somewhat carvy. a little faster than indys.
-fast on the pop like carroll wanted them to be designed so theyre almost as responsive as thunders
-grinds smooth
-light
-good height, im very sure the same height as thunder 147 hi
-shortens wheelbase(for people like me, carroll and guy who want a faster pop and flip)

Cons:
-must replace pivot cups, they start acting up and make the truck looser than they really are when the session gets going
-kingpin clearance is barely there so if your interested in a set of royal standards i suggest the new inverted kingpin ones
-for some reason the axle to hangar length ratio is off, so even if you use the usual axle washers on each side of the bearings for the wheels theres gonna be about 2-3 threads exposed when tightening the axle nut for minimal wheel wiggle. so primos=definite mashed axles

so theres an updated feedback from me on the royal standards(not the fours or any older model, the now square baseplate ones)

also went on to test my mini logo trucks again and all i gotta say is they are good decent trucks for pp trucks, but i would suggest if you ride 8 and up decks the 8.38 size ones are best cause the 8 ones dont have as good turning response and radius(yes i know that could be because of how wide they are obviously but just fyi)

they turn decent, respond very well, are light, and grind good. its just...theyre mini logo trucks haha so everyones gonna pick on you but hey for someone who wants a truck for 8.25-8.5 decks with good response and lower more in control feel (lower center of gravity feel pop and good flip trick control) mini logo trucks arent a bad choice. cause i mean how many 8.25 and up size  LOW trucks are there that are

feeling my theeves again and thinking of being a kook to ride them over my #1 truck choice thunders...cause i skate to work and everywhere alot and thunders are awesome...but i kinda want something more zig zagger feeling like indy but lower...

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:45:40 AM by rob »
yes