Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220530 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1950 on: February 04, 2017, 04:52:24 AM »
Expand Quote
ACEs are heavy, no doubt ;)

Riding some TIh 8.18" on an 8.38 (has a nice taper so all good) and some broken in bones meds (bot) soft (tops).

As easy to carve as ace but nice and light and snappier to center for better stability. no problems grinding anything yet.
[close]
i want a set of tih's so badly for over $150 I just can't do it.

Same here, they would be awesome trucks, so light and responsive. And the way theeves turn what a combo

Too bad they're $150 like you said, that's a bit much but seems like a good investment if you really dig theeves
yes

Jud Nestorkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1951 on: February 04, 2017, 04:12:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Riding some TIh 8.18" on an 8.38 (has a nice taper so all good) and some broken in bones meds (bot) soft (tops).

As easy to carve as ace but nice and light and snappier to center for better stability. no problems grinding anything yet.
[close]
[close]

Same here, they would be awesome trucks, so light and responsive. And the way theeves turn what a combo

Too bad they're $150 like you said, that's a bit much but seems like a good investment if you really dig theeves[\b]

I haven't had a set of theeves since the v1's when they looked like Ace/Thunder and they Made the bottom bones look like a pancake in like 3 weeks.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1952 on: February 04, 2017, 05:56:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Too bad they're $150 like you said, that's a bit much but seems like a good investment if you really dig theeves[\b]
[close]

I haven't had a set of theeves since the v1's when they looked like Ace/Thunder and they Made the bottom bones look like a pancake in like 3 weeks.

I wish they kept that design but the new v3 shape is still nice. I got on the theeve train when they had all those commercials with Garrett hill and his Nollie grinds and Jordan hoffart with his tiax trucks

I was really bought on their whole "titanium truck" gig and they were good trucks but flaws slowly got me off them but the v3's are actually "probably the best truck" cause that true turn, idk what it is but that true turn feel is nice, it adds an edge of good response rather falling to good turn but bad stability turning into bad response

But that's just me

Like NL said , ride what you like, get use to it and hit that sweet spot when it becomes your truck and you'll just love skating. I'm trying to figure out if I like thunder, theeve or royals.

Thunders are good and reliable, theeves are so cool, but I feel my personality and style is royals...

Man I'm lame

And knowing Jerry Hsu is on Royal doing my favorite trick I can do(front foot impossible) makes me lean more towards royals so I can be just like Jerry like I always wanted to
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1953 on: February 05, 2017, 12:22:27 AM »
Didn't think Jerry regularly rode royals or did front foot impossibles......

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1954 on: February 05, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

I rode V1/V2 and never had bones bushing blowout.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #1955 on: February 05, 2017, 01:17:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

I really liked my theeve V2's up until I started getting that bottom bushing buldge (in 2 different sets of bushings) which didn't really bother me at first but the aesthetic was throwing me off after a while and at the time I was really into trying different trucks so I eventually strayed, but I'd love to skate some V3's. I want to grind my thunders down to the axel first but I'll probably pick up some tikings for my next set of trucks. I would've tried the TiHangers by now but that price tag and reports of it not grinding as well on angle iron have kept me from doing so. Theeve is legit tho. Only other truck company I'd skate outside of the big 3

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #1956 on: February 06, 2017, 11:39:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
How are the v3's compared to Indys?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1957 on: February 08, 2017, 12:14:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]
How are the v3's compared to Indys?
[close]

since no one is answering and i have an update to my kookness

theeve v3 compared to indys i cant really use analogy or whatever but this is what im getting

theeve v3 turn precisely, its like if thunders were less tight ish and turned deep and sharp is how i would say the feeling is. they respond well and turn how you want when you want right away

indys turn smoother and deep and carve nice but response is kinda slow, slow but smooth. response is eh, its a very board feel kind of response. like if your being lazy so is your response on the trucks.

im actually back on the thunders cause the theeves were fun and nice but too sharp for me to handle, i needed my super stable but responsive thunders. also my tre flips feel better on thunders cause idk what it is but the geometry makes them flip more controlled and under me rather than like out and away(had tre flips like this with theeve and indys).

i wanna see those indy mids so bad, i really hope theyre really responsive like thunders but with an indy feel. that would be cool.
yes

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1958 on: February 08, 2017, 12:36:30 AM »
^What are those mid indys you keep talking about, like forged hollows or even more low?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1959 on: February 08, 2017, 01:07:14 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=88869.msg2607020#msg2607020 date=1486542990
^What are those mid indys you keep talking about, like forged hollows or even more low?

They're supposed to be I think ace height/ thunder 149 height/ forged hollow stage 11 standard height but standard cast not forged

it'll be the height of the old stage 10 standard but the turning and feel of a regular high stage 11 Indy
yes

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #1960 on: February 08, 2017, 02:12:27 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=88869.msg2607020#msg2607020 date=1486542990
Expand Quote
[close]

They're supposed to be I think ace height/ thunder 149 height/ forged hollow stage 11 standard height but standard cast not forged

it'll be the height of the old stage 10 standard but the turning and feel of a regular high stage 11 Indy
Sounds good to me, even tho i didn't notice that much difference when changing from stage10 -> 11's. When these are coming out?
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

assholo

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1961 on: February 08, 2017, 04:26:32 AM »
Got some Thunder team trucks. I kept the bottom bushings on, took off the washers. Top bushings off an old set, which are soft - washer on the front truck only. Habing that said, the back front truck is pretty loose; it wiggles freely just a bit. The back truck is a few turns tighter, but still loose. It's really sensitive; I get into turns quick with the front truck, and keep the carve stable with the back. So much fun to cruise and get speeds just out of zigzagging. Never really got to other trucks, but Thunders always did the job.

McJagger

• Rep: 1
« Reply #1962 on: February 08, 2017, 09:00:19 PM »
Does anyone know where I can still get a set of Venture 5.5s?  I love the feel of Ventures, and am too much in my head about 8.25 trucks, but I can't find them anywhere.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1963 on: February 08, 2017, 11:31:32 PM »
For people asking:

Standard Indys are 55mm.
Low Indys are 48.5mm
The hollows are a "mid" height at 53.5mm

Back to an issue addressed in the first few pages of this thread; Thunder Trucks and Bones Bushing. I've been riding Indy Hollow 149 Mid height 53.5 with black (hard) Bones bushing for a looong time. I recently decided to try Thunders, and tonight I set up a pair of 147 Hollow Lights  (w/black Bones bushing). They height difference between Indys and Thunders had a big impact on the bushings. When I got the trucks tightened to how I normally like them, the nylon on the kingpin nut (which is what holds in place) was not fully down onto the kingpin threads. As a result, the nut kept coming loose. Eventually I cranked the nut down enough so it would stay on my kingpin. Now the problem was that my trucks were too tight. I'm going to try either a soft Bones bushing (e.g. so i can get nut on all the way), or sand down the black Bones bushings. 

IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1964 on: February 09, 2017, 12:36:58 AM »
For people asking:

Standard Indys are 55mm.
Low Indys are 48.5mm
The hollows are a "mid" height at 53.5mm

Back to an issue addressed in the first few pages of this thread; Thunder Trucks and Bones Bushing. I've been riding Indy Hollow 149 Mid height 53.5 with black (hard) Bones bushing for a looong time. I recently decided to try Thunders, and tonight I set up a pair of 147 Hollow Lights  (w/black Bones bushing). They height difference between Indys and Thunders had a big impact on the bushings. When I got the trucks tightened to how I normally like them, the nylon on the kingpin nut (which is what holds in place) was not fully down onto the kingpin threads. As a result, the nut kept coming loose. Eventually I cranked the nut down enough so it would stay on my kingpin. Now the problem was that my trucks were too tight. I'm going to try either a soft Bones bushing (e.g. so i can get nut on all the way), or sand down the black Bones bushings. 

hard bottom, soft top.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #1965 on: February 09, 2017, 01:33:17 AM »
^ I was toying with idea that, too.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

thebacker

« Reply #1966 on: February 12, 2017, 03:14:28 PM »
has anyone tried indy bushings in ace trucks?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1967 on: February 13, 2017, 09:08:47 AM »

Stock indys work ok, they're a bit short, aftermarket are even shorter than ACE bottoms.

ACE bushings are tall all around tops and bottoms. Better to get some krux bushings, they fit perfectly.

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1968 on: February 13, 2017, 02:40:04 PM »

I have Standard Cylinder Bottom's on mine. It really makes a difference cause Ace Bushing's is just too damn hard.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1969 on: February 14, 2017, 10:26:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I have Standard Cylinder Bottom's on mine. It really makes a difference cause Ace Bushing's is just too damn hard.

For real...so damn hard - the break in struggle is real so I always swap them out.

Setup the Tih with bones meds/soft tops and the riptide cups, so good effortless in tranny, like broken in aces - sticking with them until those 144s come out.

soccer mom

• Rep: -17
« Reply #1970 on: February 14, 2017, 10:39:40 PM »
if anyone wants a pair of theeve TiH trucks i have 2 pairs slightly used i could cut you a deal. I think 8.25 and 8.0 wide.
 I'm not on here much and never think to check messages, don't think I've ever got one.... Anyway don't be afraid to keep blowing me up if you ant them.

Dima

• Rep: -6
« Reply #1971 on: February 15, 2017, 01:37:28 PM »
Anyone have any info that which truck has the tightest turning radius, thunder?

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #1972 on: February 15, 2017, 03:14:58 PM »
Probably Thunders. Very sharp, responsive turning that's great for street and coming at obstacles at weird angles. I've skated Indy's, Ventures, & Theeves as well. Thunder probably turn the sharpest with theeve being second in my experience

calvinsdream

« Reply #1973 on: February 15, 2017, 03:27:31 PM »
Decided to finally try a set of trucks that aren't indys and picked up some of the 149 thunders.

Any bushing tips on these? I though I saw in one of these pages that the stock thunder bushings were mostly ok.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #1974 on: February 15, 2017, 03:32:21 PM »
Yeah stock bushings are best for thunders, if you wanna mess around with durometers get the thunder bushing kits.

JAesop

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1976 on: February 15, 2017, 04:21:33 PM »
Decided to finally try a set of trucks that aren't indys and picked up some of the 149 thunders.

Any bushing tips on these? I though I saw in one of these pages that the stock thunder bushings were mostly ok.

I just went the same route recently, that is standard thunder 149's instead of independent. The standard clear yellow bushings were pretty good I've also used the white which have a little bit more rebound. I tried a set of Bones hard cores, blew them out of one session, went back to standard Thunder after that.

I've got some thunder 151s coming to set up a larger bowl/transition board.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1977 on: February 15, 2017, 04:23:30 PM »

I was in your boat six months back and the advice I got on here was:
DON'T touch them (the bushings) for the first 3 sesssions just ride them out. It's going to suck but once they break in you're free to tighten them down (they will be a lot harder at this point too cuz I know they feel mushy fresh out of the box). Worked like a dream
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 05:44:08 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

calvinsdream

« Reply #1978 on: February 15, 2017, 05:32:11 PM »
Awesome, thanks for the tips!

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #1979 on: February 15, 2017, 06:46:09 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I was in your boat six months back and the advice I got on here was:
DON'T touch them (the bushings) for the first 3 sesssions just ride them out. It's going to suck but once they break in you're free to tighten them down (they will be a lot harder at this point too cuz I know they feel mushy fresh out of the box). Worked like a dream

i recently got some 149s with the white bushings. i began to ride em and tightened them the first session.. i was on the 95 blue duro bushings on my last setup and wanted the same results.. it felt soooo off having 90duro bushings cranked down that i just said fuck it and bought a set of the thunder aftermarket blue ones
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[