Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220810 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #1980 on: February 16, 2017, 01:11:47 PM »
bit the bullet and ordered some of those riptide pivot cups, any PALs wanna give me a quick lodown on the performance?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1981 on: February 16, 2017, 01:58:39 PM »
bit the bullet and ordered some of those riptide pivot cups, any PALs wanna give me a quick lodown on the performance?
Those $15 things? why?
you never know about pre-cum 

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #1982 on: February 16, 2017, 02:52:09 PM »
Been through two sets of the Indy replacement ones since october, found the riptide ones for cheap while looking for new bushings

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1983 on: February 16, 2017, 03:01:13 PM »
shit gets drastic with the plastic, if they last some proper ones arent the worst investment for 15 bucks

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1984 on: February 16, 2017, 05:53:20 PM »
Been through two sets of the Indy replacement ones since october, found the riptide ones for cheap while looking for new bushings
Where?  I'm interested in trying those.  I've been blowing through the replacement indy pivot cups every couple months too.  Let us know how the Riptides work out.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1985 on: February 16, 2017, 06:02:28 PM »
The Riptides are buttery, you can feel it when you take them out of the bag, they have a slippery yet dry feel to them, they're nicely molded, no ghetto plastic around the top and they're flexible like theeves/khiro not hard as fuck like indy/thunder/shortys, etc. but very different than anything else, they're very soft/squishy.

I've tried them in indy, theeve and thunder and if you are a truck nerd you can tell the difference straight away. YMMV.

I'd say they're worth it. Not sure if you need to worry about ordering truck specific ones tho, as they make ACE and Theeve cups, after about an hour I'd imaging they conform to the plate anyway.

Grosso can't be wrong, can he? :)

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #1986 on: February 16, 2017, 08:30:12 PM »
No he can't, thanks for the info Xen.  Do the Riptides last any longer than the Indy pivot cups? I'm mainly tired of having to swap out the indy ones every couple months.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

Alotoflizards

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1987 on: February 20, 2017, 06:04:59 PM »
Would somebody reccommend some replacement bushings for venture lows? Thank you

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #1988 on: February 20, 2017, 06:08:09 PM »
Would somebody reccommend some replacement bushings for venture lows? Thank you

Aftermarket indy low bushings.
you never know about pre-cum 

calvinsdream

« Reply #1989 on: February 21, 2017, 12:39:42 PM »
Update on the Thunders - tried the stock bushings for the first session (they were clear yellow - not sure of duro), and wayyyy too lose for me. Massive wheel bite, even with 53s. Swapped them out for some broken in bones hards and they're peachy now. Love the slightly lower height and manuals feel a bit more stable. Haven't quite adjust to the different pop feeling yet though.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #1990 on: February 21, 2017, 01:17:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
No he can't, thanks for the info Xen.  Do the Riptides last any longer than the Indy pivot cups? I'm mainly tired of having to swap out the indy ones every couple months.

No idea, but if I had to guess just based on feel (quality) and my experience with Theeve/Khiro bushings (also quality) I would only imagine that the riptides would last longer than stocks.

I ride loose so I chew through cups no matter the brand.

cleveridiot

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1991 on: February 21, 2017, 01:59:51 PM »
Update on the Thunders - tried the stock bushings for the first session (they were clear yellow - not sure of duro), and wayyyy too lose for me. Massive wheel bite, even with 53s. Swapped them out for some broken in bones hards and they're peachy now. Love the slightly lower height and manuals feel a bit more stable. Haven't quite adjust to the different pop feeling yet though.

The stock yellows definitely harden a little after two or three sessions, so much so that I sanded down the top bushing to get the nut flush because my lanky 130 lb self couldn't get them to turn comfortably. The rebound on them is actually really good too

calvinsdream

« Reply #1992 on: February 21, 2017, 02:35:41 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The stock yellows definitely harden a little after two or three sessions, so much so that I sanded down the top bushing to get the nut flush because my lanky 130 lb self couldn't get them to turn comfortably. The rebound on them is actually really good too

Hmm. Maybe I'll give them another shot...

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1993 on: February 22, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »
Does anyone know if Thunder is planning to make an 8.25 now? If they do 148 team hollows I'll be set for life

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1994 on: February 23, 2017, 12:01:10 AM »
Does anyone know if Thunder is planning to make an 8.25 now? If they do 148 team hollows I'll be set for life

i dont think they would just because with thunder the diiference between a 147 and 149 isnt that big, i think theyre going with a new 147 lo in the works though to make up for the remastered 145 lo. plus there hasnt been a thunder 147 lo in a while.
yes

bbk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
  • Dopeness
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1995 on: February 23, 2017, 07:45:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i dont think they would just because with thunder the diiference between a 147 and 149 isnt that big, i think theyre going with a new 147 lo in the works though to make up for the remastered 145 lo. plus there hasnt been a thunder 147 lo in a while.
Uuhm, the difference in width is the same as indy 139 vs 149, and with thunder they're different hieght, so I'd say it's a pretty big difference, no?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1996 on: February 23, 2017, 06:36:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

dude, the popped fucked with me hard for my first 3 sessions, so hard if you're coming off indys because the thunders lengthen your wheelbase (and I had already sized up from 7.75 to 8.5!!!). The stock yellows do get a nice consistency to them, as it was explained to me:
Don't touch them, just ride them for a good 3 sessions, it will suck, it will really SUCK but they'll harden up just right. Followed it to a t and now they feel perfect!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #1997 on: February 23, 2017, 09:22:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
dude, the popped fucked with me hard for my first 3 sessions, so hard if you're coming off indys because the thunders lengthen your wheelbase (and I had already sized up from 7.75 to 8.5!!!). The stock yellows do get a nice consistency to them, as it was explained to me:
Don't touch them, just ride them for a good 3 sessions, it will suck, it will really SUCK but they'll harden up just right. Followed it to a t and now they feel perfect!
Yup. I have black bushings in my thunders. Did the same thing. My kingpin is sucked in probably 2 threads or so inside the nut and they feel perfect. no wheelbite or anything. Needless to say, I like them a lot. I'm constantly torn between my Thunders and Aces.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #1998 on: February 23, 2017, 10:11:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Uuhm, the difference in width is the same as indy 139 vs 149, and with thunder they're different hieght, so I'd say it's a pretty big difference, no?

I meant to say the difference in length, cause the 149ers are a bit taller, wider, more stable and turny but width/length wise plugging a 147 or 149 thunder for an 8.25 is just your preference on a more stable more surf feel with 149 or a more snappy poppy but still sharp fast turny feel 147, I would say 149 are more a 8.25/8.38 truck than 8.5, I think thunder 151 are the true 8.5ish thunder
yes

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1999 on: February 23, 2017, 11:46:24 PM »
thoughts on krux k4s? I have a set of 8.25s and they're just okay for me so far. I don't want to simply get rid of them but then again life's too short to skate stuff you don't like when you're an old dude. is there a good mod for them? I have them set up stock.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2000 on: February 23, 2017, 11:55:08 PM »
thoughts on krux k4s? I have a set of 8.25s and they're just okay for me so far. I don't want to simply get rid of them but then again life's too short to skate stuff you don't like when you're an old dude. is there a good mod for them? I have them set up stock.

I tried to get used to mine but just couldn't no matter what. Stock bushings were way too unstable for me. Bones meds and hards and all sorts of combos were better, but still didn't feel right. My main gripe was that they were unstable but still didn't turn enough. I don't think it's even possible to get wheelbite on them with 54 mm wheels no matter how you set them up but the cost is that you aren't able to turn deep and I like my trucks to turn deep. After trying the Krux out i found their slogan "they turn and stuff" pretty ironic.  :)

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2001 on: February 24, 2017, 07:53:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I tried to get used to mine but just couldn't no matter what. Stock bushings were way too unstable for me. Bones meds and hards and all sorts of combos were better, but still didn't feel right. My main gripe was that they were unstable but still didn't turn enough. I don't think it's even possible to get wheelbite on them with 54 mm wheels no matter how you set them up but the cost is that you aren't able to turn deep and I like my trucks to turn deep. After trying the Krux out i found their slogan "they turn and stuff" pretty ironic.  :)

I feel the same way. I had the kingpin nut flush but the bushings felt too mushy after a while and the turning was still not great. and when I go to pop tricks, it's sort of a gamble the way the trucks will respond. so I tightened the nut a bit but now the turning is stiff and it still feels kind of unstable and unpredictable.

BMCsteve

« Reply #2002 on: February 24, 2017, 08:57:27 AM »
The problem with Krux is that there's too much slop in the pivot cup and the pivot on the hanger its self isn't shaped for optimal turning. 

N.L.

« Reply #2003 on: February 24, 2017, 09:33:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I meant to say the difference in length, cause the 149ers are a bit taller, wider, more stable and turny but width/length wise plugging a 147 or 149 thunder for an 8.25 is just your preference on a more stable more surf feel with 149 or a more snappy poppy but still sharp fast turny feel 147, I would say 149 are more a 8.25/8.38 truck than 8.5, I think thunder 151 are the true 8.5ish thunder

Sounds like alternative facts to me.

BMCsteve

« Reply #2004 on: February 24, 2017, 09:39:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Sounds like alternative facts to me.

Kellyanne Conway explaining trucks

calvinsdream

« Reply #2005 on: February 25, 2017, 01:23:39 PM »
Looks like he's a stock indys fan.

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #2006 on: February 25, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »
gold

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -58
« Reply #2007 on: February 25, 2017, 09:41:53 PM »
from what I observe among everyday, unsponsored skaters, skateboarding ability and bugging out over yer shit are inversely proportionational.

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #2008 on: February 25, 2017, 10:24:56 PM »
I was gonna say the same thing, I think. Nick Boserio good, us suck.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

BMCsteve

« Reply #2009 on: February 26, 2017, 08:15:29 AM »
Someone DM Boserio this thread so he can start skating 1 aftermarket Indy bottom, 1 Bones medium top, Riptide pivot cups, Krux kingpin and destructo baseplates
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 08:29:57 AM by BMCsteve »