Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220802 times)

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2010 on: February 26, 2017, 08:23:50 AM »
Someone DM Boserio this thread so he can start skating 1 aftermarket Indy bottom, 1 Bones mediaum top, Riptide pivot cups, Krux kingpin and destructo baseplates

Don't forget shock pads.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2011 on: February 26, 2017, 11:57:58 AM »
Someone DM Boserio this thread so he can start skating 1 aftermarket Indy bottom, 1 Bones medium top, Riptide pivot cups, Krux kingpin and destructo baseplates

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2012 on: February 26, 2017, 04:53:54 PM »
Someone DM Boserio this thread so he can start skating 1 aftermarket Indy bottom, 1 Bones medium top, Riptide pivot cups, Krux kingpin and destructo baseplates
if it doesn't have vaginal fluid from a sacrificed virgin in the pivot cup it doesn't count ;)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mick

• Rep: 25
« Reply #2013 on: March 01, 2017, 08:35:04 PM »
Anyone know Sebo Walker's truck setup? It kind of look like he rides medium cylinders on the back truck and soft conicals on the front truck?

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #2014 on: March 01, 2017, 09:18:01 PM »
jesus

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2015 on: March 03, 2017, 01:08:19 AM »
[rant] Anyone else annoyed with the Ace .38 specials? Ace seems to be pushing them hard on Instagram. I don't get it. They are 5 grams lighter in total. That's like 0,2% of the weight of your whole set up. Insignificant. No nyloc and I've heard they won't stay on very well because of that. Same wrench size as mounting hardware. Yeah, nice, ok, but every skate tool has the wrench for the axle nuts anyway, so what's the advantage there? I love Ace but I wish they'd use their time to do something useful instead of this stupid shit.  >:( [/rant]

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2016 on: March 03, 2017, 07:23:06 PM »
[rant] Anyone else annoyed with the Ace .38 specials? Ace seems to be pushing them hard on Instagram. I don't get it. They are 5 grams lighter in total. That's like 0,2% of the weight of your whole set up. Insignificant. No nyloc and I've heard they won't stay on very well because of that. Same wrench size as mounting hardware. Yeah, nice, ok, but every skate tool has the wrench for the axle nuts anyway, so what's the advantage there? I love Ace but I wish they'd use their time to do something useful instead of this stupid shit.  >:( [/rant]

They didn't even make to the first session; I wouldn't trust them to stay on, cranked down or not.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2017 on: March 03, 2017, 08:48:23 PM »
I was hyped on the for a purely aesthetic look, but yeah the no nylock part sucks, apparently they're designed using something called an
"Interference" fit, so it seems you have to crank them down past the first thread of the axle. for $4 i'll probably try them out

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2018 on: March 04, 2017, 07:19:04 PM »
They should sell after market inverted king pins like krux.....

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2019 on: March 04, 2017, 07:22:52 PM »
I was hyped on the for a purely aesthetic look, but yeah the no nylock part sucks, apparently they're designed using something called an
"Interference" fit, so it seems you have to crank them down past the first thread of the axle. for $4 i'll probably try them out

I'll just send you mine if you want. I've got 8 of them just sitting in my toolbox.
you never know about pre-cum 

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2020 on: March 04, 2017, 08:07:53 PM »
I appreciate the offer but after posting it i went and got some from SoCal, thanks though.

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2021 on: March 05, 2017, 07:54:18 AM »
Is anyone running cylinder bottoms on Thunders? I have a set of Krux bushings sitting here and I'm thinking they may get a deeper turn.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #2022 on: March 05, 2017, 12:43:21 PM »

The only advantage seems to be the built in washer that prevents your socket wrench from bashing your bearing shields. You could always put a drop of locktite on the threads (everyone should own at least a tube) in place of the nylock.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2023 on: March 05, 2017, 04:00:39 PM »
anyone got any feedback on fury trucks?
yes

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2024 on: March 06, 2017, 01:02:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
You'd be welding aluminum to steel. I don't think that really works.

I use spacers and I've never had axle slip.  :-*
[close]

Yeah i used spacers for a a session or two when my thunders' axle slip was out of control but really hated the dead sound my wheels made when set up with spacers.
As for the weld, this is also my (and the welder's) main concern - that the weld is not going to stick at all. He said that if he used a strong enough welding kit then we might have some luck as everything could melt into one thing. I am pretty sure this little project is going to turn into a big mess but am willing to try it just to fulfill my curiosity. Probably going to try it tomorrow on my day off and will definitely post pictures so you can have laugh at my warped trucks.
[close]

I did something like that in the past with some slipping trucks. You just have to weld some tiny  steel balls to the axle on that little hole near the kingpin (it works also on the holes below that ofter have the axle exposed). That way it stops the axle from moving. Melting steel with aluminium doesnt work i bet.
[close]

this is also my thinking but the welder said that if the current used is high enough, then the two materials would sort of melt into one amalgam. sounds crazy and this is why i am sure my trucks are going to warp. never thought of your suggestion, it sounds much more reasonable than going crazy with the welding. can't wait to see if its going to work and i am surely going to try both methods (got plenty of trucks with axle slip and am going to try your technique on some hollows), fingers crossed   ;D

[close]

i finally went to do the weld and have something to post. the dude fucked one of my hangers right up because he tried too much with the weld and the hanger melted and went proper fucked. the second attempt went much better though because the guy did what i asked him and didn't mess around. here is the successful attempt and i'm going to post the other, messed up hanger in a bit (i know it sounds more interesting but it needs to cool down). I still have another set of thunders with axle slip so i have 2 more attempts to choose from. I am hyped with this result and though i haven't skated it yet i believe it should be fine and that the axle slip has been (permanently -fingers crossed) cured.

sorry for bumping this post but i have some feedback on welding the hangers to prevent axle slip
Finally got to skate the welded hangers for three 4hr sessions doing the normal shit i usually do, that caused the axle slip in the first place. I even went a bit harder on the last day, trying many flip tricks and landing primo a lot. It seems that the hangers held up perfect and so far i can not notice any slip. The trucks seem to work fine.
Thanks S.K.A.T.A.N for the suggestion
now i can freely enjoy thunders without having to worry about mad axle slip
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2025 on: March 06, 2017, 01:24:53 AM »
What do you want to know? I'm skating pair atm, with indy baseplates because i broke original ones. Not liking them as much as I liked evo 1's with that rounded pivot but they're not bad. I'm using indy aftermarket bushing and they feel okay to me, grinds like any other truck out there, turns decent and they have 8.25" axle. Height is close to indys. And those lowcard collabos were nice, as they're having a sol beer bottle cap as bottom washer.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2026 on: March 06, 2017, 10:24:08 AM »

Mods, I think it's time to lock this thread...
you never know about pre-cum 

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #2027 on: March 06, 2017, 11:01:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2028 on: March 06, 2017, 11:14:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2029 on: March 06, 2017, 11:17:47 AM »
hardly art, hardly starving

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2030 on: March 06, 2017, 05:49:13 PM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=88869.msg2617000#msg2617000 date=1488792293
Expand Quote
[close]
What do you want to know? I'm skating pair atm, with indy baseplates because i broke original ones. Not liking them as much as I liked evo 1's with that rounded pivot but they're not bad. I'm using indy aftermarket bushing and they feel okay to me, grinds like any other truck out there, turns decent and they have 8.25" axle. Height is close to indys. And those lowcard collabos were nice, as they're having a sol beer bottle cap as bottom washer.

Thanks! Was curious cause getting bored of the ole Indy or thunder routine, I love both trucks and they're the best on the market but I feel like such a clone riding 1 or the other, makes my setup look like it has no personality...

Probably gonna go back to krux. They're decent. But those reinforced ace44 look interesting...pricey though for some standard aluminum trucks
yes

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #2031 on: March 07, 2017, 04:40:11 PM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=88869.msg2617000#msg2617000 date=1488792293
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Thanks! Was curious cause getting bored of the ole Indy or thunder routine, I love both trucks and they're the best on the market but I feel like such a clone riding 1 or the other, makes my setup look like it has no personality...

Probably gonna go back to krux. They're decent. But those reinforced ace44 look interesting...pricey though for some standard aluminum trucks

in the last 5 years i did try theeve and ace.. theres a reason why indy/thunder/venture has been around for over three decades now and probably will always dominate the industry
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2032 on: March 07, 2017, 09:25:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

in the last 5 years i did try theeve and ace.. theres a reason why indy/thunder/venture has been around for over three decades now and probably will always dominate the industry

And all three come from the same place....anyway....being some of the first grants you longevity if you keep pace, something ACE and Theeve forced Indy and Thunder to do when they released. Let's not forget marketing dollars...

Honestly, I am surprised Theeve are still around, as much as I like the truck, the branding is meh and mindshare is minimal.

ACE, because of the bro-setup will probably be around forever as well; really wish they'd pick up their game a bit, e.g., some 44s with Ti/hollow goodness.

Hell even Tracker and Gullwing are still around...Industrial, Orion, Krux, Destructo, Royal, Fury, Tensor, my guess is trucks are cheap as fuck to manufacture but expensive to design (properly).

What I don't understand is why the hell can't Indy change the yoke and drop some weight? If ACE/Theeve/Thunder (tho admittedly Thunders 149II has more beef to it than before), so can Indy.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2033 on: March 07, 2017, 09:43:05 PM »
The thought of a streamlined Indy doesn't sound appealing to me at least, one of the biggest gripes i had about Theeves TiH was it just didn't look like enough truck and it would fuck with me. I get what you're saying though, a slimmed down 215 looker in mid range sizes would probably do well, but then again they've only just made an 8.25 inch truck so chances of them doing anything like this are slim to none for a while

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2034 on: March 08, 2017, 09:19:53 AM »
Ooo thanks for reminding me xen!

Anyone tried those Indy knock off stage ten industrial trucks? Also any feedback on destructos ? I kinda wanna get a set of the D2 but maybe the reinforced ace44 instead cause my local has a set with regular axle nuts/not the 38 special
yes

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2035 on: March 08, 2017, 09:37:16 AM »

Anyone tried those Indy knock off stage ten industrial trucks? Also any feedback on destructos ? I kinda wanna get a set of the D2 but maybe the reinforced ace44 instead cause my local has a set with regular axle nuts/not the 38 special

Industrials are trash I skated two sets back in middle school and even as a tiny ass kid I was snapping kingpins and breaking off  Baseplates by simply jumping down shit. I didn't even do grinds like that either.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2036 on: March 08, 2017, 09:45:46 AM »

My vote goes to the ACEs, very different ride than the lows.

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #2037 on: March 08, 2017, 01:46:53 PM »
Regular raw Indy stage 11's and I switch out the bushings for the blue (the soft ones I believe) conical Indy low bushings.

I like my trucks nice and loose but can't be bothered to boil my bushings and slice them with a razorblade Matt Rodriguez-style, and this method has worked perfectly for me for about 5 or so years.

Before that I had Theeves which I loved, but changed the bushings for soft Doh-Doh's... I've never liked the feel of Bones bushings.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #2038 on: March 08, 2017, 10:50:01 PM »
Regular raw Indy stage 11's ...

I've got a pair of plain Indy's and a pair of Titanium with the black powdercoat finish.  With the same exact bushings the raw trucks will feel looser.  Lower coefficient of friction between the polished hanger and the bushings than with the powder coated finish.

I know the coefficient of friction matters because when I first got my Aces I couldn't get them loose enough with the stock bushings, but then I soaped the bushings and they were a lot better.

Also, it has been mentioned before that Indy Conical lower bushings are taller than Indy Cylinder lower bushings... Well the top bushing in the Conical pack is a little taller too.  This can cause confusing results when you are testing different set ups because having the nut flush on two similar looking bushings might have one feeling tighter than the other.  If you are putting Indy bushings in Ace trucks than theoretically that slightly taller top bushing might be a little better.

Deluxe Supercush bushings are the same height as stock Ace bushings (the lower ones).  Indy Cylinder are slightly shorter.

I'm currently running Ace trucks with stock 90A bushings out of a set of Thunders in front, and then in the back I have the flat washer out of a Bones Bushings set then the regular washer and then an Indy Cylinder in the back for a little more stability.

Also, it bugs me when people talk about wheel size and wheel bite without mentioning how wide their trucks are, because that is a factor too.

Thanks

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2039 on: March 08, 2017, 11:19:52 PM »
truck OCD straight off the bat? you're going to implode if you read this whole thread

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year