Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221028 times)

Esquivel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2040 on: March 09, 2017, 12:51:32 AM »
truck OCD straight off the bat? you're going to implode if you read this whole thread

hahahah
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

BMCsteve

« Reply #2041 on: March 09, 2017, 10:14:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Regular raw Indy stage 11's ...
[close]

I've got a pair of plain Indy's and a pair of Titanium with the black powdercoat finish.  With the same exact bushings the raw trucks will feel looser.  Lower coefficient of friction between the polished hanger and the bushings than with the powder coated finish.

I know the coefficient of friction matters because when I first got my Aces I couldn't get them loose enough with the stock bushings, but then I soaped the bushings and they were a lot better.

Also, it has been mentioned before that Indy Conical lower bushings are taller than Indy Cylinder lower bushings... Well the top bushing in the Conical pack is a little taller too.  This can cause confusing results when you are testing different set ups because having the nut flush on two similar looking bushings might have one feeling tighter than the other.  If you are putting Indy bushings in Ace trucks than theoretically that slightly taller top bushing might be a little better.

Deluxe Supercush bushings are the same height as stock Ace bushings (the lower ones).  Indy Cylinder are slightly shorter.

I'm currently running Ace trucks with stock 90A bushings out of a set of Thunders in front, and then in the back I have the flat washer out of a Bones Bushings set then the regular washer and then an Indy Cylinder in the back for a little more stability.

Also, it bugs me when people talk about wheel size and wheel bite without mentioning how wide their trucks are, because that is a factor too.

Thanks

If that's your first post, you're going to fit in just fine around here.  Welcome to the realm of insanty

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #2042 on: March 09, 2017, 10:49:29 AM »
truck OCD straight off the bat? you're going to implode if you read this whole thread

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2043 on: March 10, 2017, 12:14:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Regular raw Indy stage 11's ...
[close]

I've got a pair of plain Indy's and a pair of Titanium with the black powdercoat finish.  With the same exact bushings the raw trucks will feel looser.  Lower coefficient of friction between the polished hanger and the bushings than with the powder coated finish.

I know the coefficient of friction matters because when I first got my Aces I couldn't get them loose enough with the stock bushings, but then I soaped the bushings and they were a lot better.

Also, it has been mentioned before that Indy Conical lower bushings are taller than Indy Cylinder lower bushings... Well the top bushing in the Conical pack is a little taller too.  This can cause confusing results when you are testing different set ups because having the nut flush on two similar looking bushings might have one feeling tighter than the other.  If you are putting Indy bushings in Ace trucks than theoretically that slightly taller top bushing might be a little better.

Deluxe Supercush bushings are the same height as stock Ace bushings (the lower ones).  Indy Cylinder are slightly shorter.

I'm currently running Ace trucks with stock 90A bushings out of a set of Thunders in front, and then in the back I have the flat washer out of a Bones Bushings set then the regular washer and then an Indy Cylinder in the back for a little more stability.

Also, it bugs me when people talk about wheel size and wheel bite without mentioning how wide their trucks are, because that is a factor too.

Thanks

I tried running stock thunder bushings in ACE for about an hour, the bushings feel so dead, no rebound at all; just mush into the turns.

You're right on the conical indy bushings being taller than the cylinder (both being aftermarkets). Pretty odd.

I still prefer bones in aces tho, even if the height of the bushings pushes the hanger forward compared to stock bushings/washer. ACE bushings are very very tall.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 07:43:39 PM by Xen »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2044 on: March 12, 2017, 03:09:43 PM »
I'm running aces and ventures on a couple of different boards. Ace stock bushings are fine. If your shit is janglin, your overcompensating for something.
you never know about pre-cum 

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #2045 on: March 12, 2017, 03:39:50 PM »
I've been running standard Indy 149's with red 88a bushings for a few years and its the best. I love the feeling of softer bushing compared to the orange stock ones. I've actually been thinking about going to the white 78a bushings. Has anybody tried those on their setup?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2046 on: March 12, 2017, 03:52:20 PM »
I've been running standard Indy 149's with red 88a bushings for a few years and its the best. I love the feeling of softer bushing compared to the orange stock ones. I've actually been thinking about going to the white 78a bushings. Has anybody tried those on their setup?

I've run the 88a conicals on a number of setups, they're great, especially the 88a tops with harder bottoms.

The white 78a, depending on how much you weigh are really really soft, even if you run a harder bottom. Always better off buying a few duros harder so when they break in they're right where you want them.

Mongoloid

« Reply #2047 on: March 12, 2017, 04:11:57 PM »
I'm running aces and ventures on a couple of different boards. Ace stock bushings are fine. If your shit is janglin, your overcompensating for something.

This! I think the stock Ace bushings are actually quite good, and I more than likely wont be hybridizing my next set.

BMCsteve

« Reply #2048 on: March 12, 2017, 04:23:39 PM »
Been skating Ace 55's completely stock for month now.  They've been great and I don't plan on switching any time soon

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2049 on: March 12, 2017, 05:13:51 PM »
Hey guys, I've been this pair of Indy 139's forged hollow for about 2 years now and I've been loving them. My problem now is that I'm ridding a 8.25 and even a couple of speedrings inside it still feels kinda magic carpet and is afecting my ocd now. 149 is too much for me so I've been eyeing this pair of krux k4 8,25 raws, and I want to know if do you think it would be a smooth change. I'm really used to the carvy indy turn and I dont want to loose that. I've always been curious about krux too.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #2050 on: March 12, 2017, 05:21:47 PM »
Why don't you just get a set of 144s ?

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2051 on: March 12, 2017, 05:26:48 PM »
Been skating Ace 55's completely stock for month now.  They've been great and I don't plan on switching any time soon

I've been on 44's for 6 or 7 months.  Even went as far as trying Krux bushings right out the gate and they were comically loose to me.  Switched to a mix of the stocks w/ the Krux and ended up going back to stock.  They are totally good once you break them in, you just have to be patient with them.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2052 on: March 13, 2017, 12:19:41 AM »

I think they're not in europe yet, also price, and heaviness.
A pair of krux is like 46 euro, indy's are 35 each truck, the raws, the forged are like 42 each truck and hollows the same (titaniums are too expensive)
Also a little change of pace would be cool, just to try something diferent. I'm just trying to figure it out first if I'm wasting money or not on those krux.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2053 on: March 13, 2017, 01:35:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

A pair of krux is like 46 euro, indy's are 35 each truck, the raws, the forged are like 42 each truck and hollows the same (titaniums are too expensive)
Also a little change of pace would be cool, just to try something diferent. I'm just trying to figure it out first if I'm wasting money or not on those krux.

Like you said, it's just OCD, 139 fits fine on 8.25.
Just forget about it and enjoy skateboarding, especially if you are short on cash.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2054 on: March 13, 2017, 04:03:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Like you said, it's just OCD, 139 fits fine on 8.25.
Just forget about it and enjoy skateboarding, especially if you are short on cash.

Your probably right. Is not that I'm short on cash but if I can save some why not? I'll just keep ridding my pair of indys and try to forget about my OCD (slap doesn't help tho) ahah

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2055 on: March 13, 2017, 04:07:49 AM »
Hey guys, I've been this pair of Indy 139's forged hollow for about 2 years now and I've been loving them. My problem now is that I'm ridding a 8.25 and even a couple of speedrings inside it still feels kinda magic carpet and is afecting my ocd now. 149 is too much for me so I've been eyeing this pair of krux k4 8,25 raws, and I want to know if do you think it would be a smooth change. I'm really used to the carvy indy turn and I dont want to loose that. I've always been curious about krux too.

You'll definitely lose that with Krux. The turn is floppy and not deep at all. I couldn't get my 8.25" Krux' to wheebite with 54 mm wheels. Compared to the Indy 149s I had on my other set up the Krux were just plain horrible, unstable and not nearly deep enough.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2056 on: March 13, 2017, 05:45:17 AM »
Everyone in this thread who has tried krux hasn't stuck with them pretty much, speaks for itself id say

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2057 on: March 13, 2017, 06:10:20 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You'll definitely lose that with Krux. The turn is floppy and not deep at all. I couldn't get my 8.25" Krux' to wheebite with 54 mm wheels. Compared to the Indy 149s I had on my other set up the Krux were just plain horrible, unstable and not nearly deep enough.

uhmm That's what my wallet wanted to hear. Thanks for the feedback guys!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2058 on: March 13, 2017, 10:39:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

uhmm That's what my wallet wanted to hear. Thanks for the feedback guys!

Krux are okay, I liked my set of 8.25 k4's but it's true they don't have a deep carve, they squrrel but hit a pinch point where you can't go any deeper and it sucks if your use to trucks that can keep going on a turn but I don't do much crazy turns so the way they stopped turning at a point wasn't too bad for me. I loved them as a lighter sub on my 8.5 anti hero instead of my heavier Indy 149. Why not try some thunder 149?
yes

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #2059 on: March 13, 2017, 01:21:00 PM »
I feel like going back with Theeves for this summer. Either that or Ace's. I've been skating for 18 years and probably rode Indy's for about 15 of those years and I feel like changing things up.

Never liked the feel of Thunders, HATED Ventures, I traded them for Indy's after 4 days. Loved the turn on Fury's, they turned so much that they took a while to get used to... however I think they're done, I don't remember why I got rid of them. Krux were alright at the time (first Downlo's about 15 years ago), don't know how the K4's are, but the cheap price is sorta swaying me away from them. Usually you get what you pay for.

I had the first edition of Ace's about 10 years ago and don't remember much other than they turned on a dime, but stoned me forgot his board on the bus and never saw it again, I'd love to give those a try again. I had Theeve TiKings about 5 or so years ago and LOVED them, only thing is no local shops carry them, so I'd have to order online. Probably the trucks I've loved just as much as Indy's.

I don't hate Indy at all, I just feel like switching things up.

Anybody skate the newer Theeves ?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 01:30:00 PM by TheBoognish »

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #2060 on: March 13, 2017, 05:18:48 PM »
Ace's are Indy's slutty younger sister. Good for a change of pace, but don't marry 'em.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2061 on: March 13, 2017, 05:32:19 PM »
I feel like going back with Theeves for this summer. Either that or Ace's. I've been skating for 18 years and probably rode Indy's for about 15 of those years and I feel like changing things up.

Never liked the feel of Thunders, HATED Ventures, I traded them for Indy's after 4 days. Loved the turn on Fury's, they turned so much that they took a while to get used to... however I think they're done, I don't remember why I got rid of them. Krux were alright at the time (first Downlo's about 15 years ago), don't know how the K4's are, but the cheap price is sorta swaying me away from them. Usually you get what you pay for.

I had the first edition of Ace's about 10 years ago and don't remember much other than they turned on a dime, but stoned me forgot his board on the bus and never saw it again, I'd love to give those a try again. I had Theeve TiKings about 5 or so years ago and LOVED them, only thing is no local shops carry them, so I'd have to order online. Probably the trucks I've loved just as much as Indy's.

I'm skating the 8.18" tih (V2) but have skated the V3s - they're fantastic, carvy (like ACE) when you want yet stable on center (Thunder) for trick setup. Build quality is top notch as well. Can't go wrong, don't let the haters get to you.

Personally I'm selling everything off (tho keeping one set of ACE and Thunders around just in case) and sticking with 8.25" Indy's/8.18 Theeves, indy's for park and theeves for crusty street as they will grind on anything.

micky682

« Reply #2062 on: March 13, 2017, 06:11:53 PM »
Any Pals sticking with the 149 on 8.25 combo or switching to the new 144?

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #2063 on: March 13, 2017, 06:22:02 PM »

I'm tempted to try a pair of 144s out, but by the time my 139s & 149s are dust who knows

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

duzerdrof

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2064 on: March 13, 2017, 08:46:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm tempted to try a pair of 144s out, but by the time my 139s & 149s are dust who knows

I picked up some 144s last week, skating those on an 8.25 with 53s and it feels perfect. The board feels nice and solid without getting into the heavyweight range... Thinking I can run this for a while and finally stop fucking with my setup

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #2065 on: March 13, 2017, 09:44:19 PM »
I've definitely settled on 159s on an 8.5, it lets me run my trucks looser without feeling sketchy at speed.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2066 on: March 13, 2017, 11:31:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I picked up some 144s last week, skating those on an 8.25 with 53s and it feels perfect. The board feels nice and solid without getting into the heavyweight range... Thinking I can run this for a while and finally stop fucking with my setup

8.25" and 53s, that's my goto when not ocd'ing ;)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2067 on: March 14, 2017, 05:31:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm skating the 8.18" tih (V2) but have skated the V3s - they're fantastic, carvy (like ACE) when you want yet stable on center (Thunder) for trick setup. Build quality is top notch as well. Can't go wrong, don't let the haters get to you.

Personally I'm selling everything off (tho keeping one set of ACE and Thunders around just in case) and sticking with 8.25" Indy's/8.18 Theeves, indy's for park and theeves for crusty street as they will grind on anything.

So true, I love the way the theeves are 8.18 axles so I can swap between 8-8.25 decks without a hassle.
yes

Dr. Octagon

« Reply #2068 on: March 14, 2017, 06:08:14 PM »

I'm going back to the 149/8.25 combo after being on 8.25/Ace 44's for 9 months. they're almost to the axle and the extra width would be nice to have back.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #2069 on: March 15, 2017, 05:57:43 AM »
I've been on 8.25 / Ace 44 with krux bushings for 10 months now.
Love them and not gonna change...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.