Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220610 times)

Paco Supreme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2070 on: March 15, 2017, 02:01:14 PM »
I've spent too much time lurking this thread, i was looking at my trucks, from the truck itself to all the components that make it up now and even the mounting hardware i think all the madness in here has stuck. Thanks guys  :-*

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #2071 on: March 15, 2017, 03:26:02 PM »
I was an indy guy for years, tinkered with bushings and tried a bunch of options.
Then to Thunder 149 forged with bones hard bushings with the thin top washer, still felt very unstable but I rolled with it,
trying Venture hi 5.8 with stock everything and I finally feel like I'm not gonna fall off my board every time I land a trick.
Never even considered them an option until now.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 05:48:42 PM by 144p »

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2072 on: March 15, 2017, 04:00:40 PM »
I was an indy guy for years, tinkered with bushings and tried a bunh of options.
Then to Thunder 149 forged with bones hard bushings with the thin top washer, still felt very unstable but I rolled with it,
trying Venture hi 5.8 with stok everything and I finally feel like I'm not gonna fall off my board everytime I land a trick.

I feel like despite being apart of the big 3 ventures don't get enough love on SLAP, although it's probably because their wider sized trucks are harder to find. I have some 5.8 Hi V-Hollow Lights which were a bitch to find but I really liked them. They're on my girls cruiser now because I'm on my thunder kick at the moment but yeah, people sleep on venture. Bushings are stiff at first but when they break in they have a nice smooth turn. Not as twitchy/responsive as thunder but I can usually make whatever turn I need to with  them and they maintain their stability jumping down shit or landing fliptricks

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #2073 on: March 15, 2017, 05:50:49 PM »
They broke in within an hour and feel very comfortable.
The dark purple Hi bushings are a 97a supercush and feel about how I want my bushings to respond.
I think I prefer the stability of the barrel bottom bushing vs a conical one.

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2074 on: March 15, 2017, 07:20:00 PM »
I've had some 5.2 V-Hollow Lights for like 2 years now going strong. Can't decide if those or Ace 44 with Krux bushings are my favorite.

thebacker

« Reply #2075 on: March 15, 2017, 08:08:11 PM »
Any places selling krux bushings? im using bones mediums in ace 44's and they are cool but i wanna see the hype around krux

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2076 on: March 15, 2017, 09:53:02 PM »
ive mentioned this before too....ventures look dope and the awake t is one of the best truck t's ever....you can't wear a fucking thunder t.....

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2077 on: March 15, 2017, 10:25:12 PM »
Any places selling krux bushings? im using bones mediums in ace 44's and they are cool but i wanna see the hype around krux

http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=59727

Socal has them for like $6

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2078 on: March 15, 2017, 11:54:18 PM »
ive mentioned this before too....ventures look dope and the awake t is one of the best truck t's ever....you can't wear a fucking thunder t.....

I'd murder for an awake T or hoody in black.  You can buy 800,000 different Indy T's in any size at any given time but an Awake T isn't even in the current catalog.
you never know about pre-cum 

BMCsteve

« Reply #2079 on: March 16, 2017, 05:31:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'd murder for an awake T or hoody in black.  You can buy 800,000 different Indy T's in any size at any given time but an Awake T isn't even in the current catalog.

You can get a bootlegged version https://www.redbubble.com/shop/venture+awake+t-shirts

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2080 on: March 16, 2017, 07:56:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You can get a bootlegged version https://www.redbubble.com/shop/venture+awake+t-shirts
Eh, I'm just going to yell at Reed.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2081 on: March 16, 2017, 08:14:57 AM »
I get how a back catalog truck would cost the company tons...but why not a T....even old Thunder stuff is rad....

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2082 on: March 16, 2017, 08:38:06 AM »
Expand Quote
I was an indy guy for years, tinkered with bushings and tried a bunh of options.
trying Venture hi 5.8 with stok everything and I finally feel like I'm not gonna fall off my board everytime I land a trick.

[close]

I feel like despite being apart of the big 3 ventures don't get enough love on SLAP, although it's probably because their wider sized trucks are harder to find. I have some 5.8 Hi V-Hollow Lights which were a bitch to find but I really liked them. They're on my girls cruiser now because I'm on my thunder kick at the moment but yeah, people sleep on venture. Bushings are stiff at firspapa, gust ,t but when they break in they have a nice smooth turn. Not as twitchy/responsive as thunder but I can usually make whatever turn I need to with  them and they maintain their stability jumping down shit or landing fliptricks

Despite having people like prod, westgate, Joslin, gore, papa, gustavo, tpud, watson, and Biebel and what, all of DGK? Venture caters to the 8" and under crowd, finding 8.5" trucks isn't hard (go to socal) but the flavors are dated, you can't get hollow this or that and that is what sells. Who's going to take a plain jane 8.5 Venture over indy standards Let alone Thunders.

I skated a pair of 8" hollow prods and really enjoyed them.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2083 on: March 16, 2017, 12:52:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I feel like despite being apart of the big 3 ventures don't get enough love on SLAP, although it's probably because their wider sized trucks are harder to find. I have some 5.8 Hi V-Hollow Lights which were a bitch to find but I really liked them. They're on my girls cruiser now because I'm on my thunder kick at the moment but yeah, people sleep on venture. Bushings are stiff at firspapa, gust ,t but when they break in they have a nice smooth turn. Not as twitchy/responsive as thunder but I can usually make whatever turn I need to with  them and they maintain their stability jumping down shit or landing fliptricks
[close]

Despite having people like prod, westgate, Joslin, gore, papa, gustavo, tpud, watson, and Biebel and what, all of DGK? Venture caters to the 8" and under crowd, finding 8.5" trucks isn't hard (go to socal) but the flavors are dated, you can't get hollow this or that and that is what sells. Who's going to take a plain jane 8.5 Venture over indy standards Let alone Thunders.

I skated a pair of 8" hollow prods and really enjoyed them.
Me. I'm not worried about 1mm in height or slight differences in weight. I didn't buy "light" trucks until I was well in to my 30s. And the ONLY reason I ever deviated from Venture was this fucking place putting alternative facts and fake news in my head.

thebacker

« Reply #2084 on: March 16, 2017, 01:07:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

http://socalskateshop.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=59727

Socal has them for like $6

you the real mvp

Julz

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -6
« Reply #2085 on: March 16, 2017, 08:45:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I feel like going back with Theeves for this summer. Either that or Ace's. I've been skating for 18 years and probably rode Indy's for about 15 of those years and I feel like changing things up.

Never liked the feel of Thunders, HATED Ventures, I traded them for Indy's after 4 days. Loved the turn on Fury's, they turned so much that they took a while to get used to... however I think they're done, I don't remember why I got rid of them. Krux were alright at the time (first Downlo's about 15 years ago), don't know how the K4's are, but the cheap price is sorta swaying me away from them. Usually you get what you pay for.

I had the first edition of Ace's about 10 years ago and don't remember much other than they turned on a dime, but stoned me forgot his board on the bus and never saw it again, I'd love to give those a try again. I had Theeve TiKings about 5 or so years ago and LOVED them, only thing is no local shops carry them, so I'd have to order online. Probably the trucks I've loved just as much as Indy's.

I don't hate Indy at all, I just feel like switching things up.

Anybody skate the newer Theeves ?
[close]

I'm skating the 8.18" tih (V2) but have skated the V3s - they're fantastic, carvy (like ACE) when you want yet stable on center (Thunder) for trick setup. Build quality is top notch as well. Can't go wrong, don't let the haters get to you.

Personally I'm selling everything off (tho keeping one set of ACE and Thunders around just in case) and sticking with 8.25" Indy's/8.18 Theeves, indy's for park and theeves for crusty street as they will grind on anything.
[close]

So true, I love the way the theeves are 8.18 axles so I can swap between 8-8.25 decks without a hassle.

I just quickly looked up the price for a set of TiH... $180 for a pair??!!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2086 on: March 16, 2017, 10:31:55 PM »
Only worth it if you have chronic axel slip......

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2087 on: March 17, 2017, 02:09:47 AM »
Only worth it if you have chronic axel slip......

axle slip is my middle name, i need these trucks
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2088 on: March 17, 2017, 09:37:37 AM »
I'd say try race reds tightened down so there is 0.0 play on your axel.  If that doesn't work....these trucks.  Make sure you get a width that will work for you because you'll be riding them for awhile.  The titanium never grinds down, and functionally they are a good truck.  They grind good on concrete....not as good on everything else compared to regular trucks.....

I got two set ups with the, wider and narrower.  The main knock is what I've outlined, they also say Theeve, and once you've made the investment you are kinda committed which quietens it but......the madness is never silenced......

BMCsteve

« Reply #2089 on: March 17, 2017, 09:41:22 AM »
still super happy with my Ace 55's.  I have zero complaints about them but every single day I have to fight the urge to buy some Indy 159's.  I have no idea why. 

I literally have Indy's sitting in shopping carts at Tactics and Skatewarehouse at all times.  Just begging me to click the purchase button

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #2090 on: March 17, 2017, 09:49:40 AM »
My madness has been quelled for now. I went to my safety net of Venture 5.0s (I stopped kidding myself that I like these wide boards and I got a 7.5. Yes I'm walking on the wild side). I just feel correct on Venture 5.0 and skinny decks ( I have small feet and skinny boards just feel right to me). I also got some half cabs so I stopped my shoe crisis as well. I feel content until I post in here in 3 weeks debating Ranalli/Tracker and Airwalks

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2091 on: March 17, 2017, 09:52:19 AM »
still super happy with my Ace 55's.  I have zero complaints about them but every single day I have to fight the urge to buy some Indy 159's.  I have no idea why. 

I literally have Indy's sitting in shopping carts at Tactics and Skatewarehouse at all times.  Just begging me to click the purchase button

The pull to Indy is rough. I almost caved last week but a few decent sessions on my Ventures and I calmed down. If they stayed at stage 7, it wouldn't have ever been a question of which trucks

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2092 on: March 17, 2017, 10:18:29 AM »
I think after you skate ACES....and like em....an Indy feels sluggish.  As long as you're good with the widths....

Respect Fang....the 7.5 is the new shaped retro cruiser.....i sized up to an 8 out of necessity...but still consider myself in the over 40 under 8 club.  I still poke around for Motobilts from time to time.....

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2093 on: March 17, 2017, 10:31:53 AM »
I think after you skate ACES....and like em....an Indy feels sluggish.  As long as you're good with the widths....

Respect Fang....the 7.5 is the new shaped retro cruiser.....i sized up to an 8 out of necessity...but still consider myself in the over 40 under 8 club.  I still poke around for Motobilts from time to time.....

I hardly ever get time to skate so trying to convert to large boards / different trucks and shoes is too much to handle. Realizing I'm not into what's in style and just doing what I like (I seriously skate by myself now. No one wants to deal with scheduling around my 2 year Olds sleep patterns). So I'm just like yeah fine .. I'll skate familiar stuff. I've resisted the wide deck but I tried it, I think my nostalgia to small boards is too strong

I'd love to have a museum of old trucks. Those Tracker ultra lights were real popular when I was 10 (1986). I couldn't dig them at all. I had indy 169s on a giant Rob Roskopp. In hindsight though I wish I would have tried more trucks as a young guy. G & S trucks looked so weird but interesting. I never tried grind king either. That inverted kingpin made it look like a kids toy to me for some reason.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 10:33:54 AM by fang »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2094 on: March 17, 2017, 10:43:11 AM »
I've settled on Indy 144s (or Theeve 8.18") but keeping a setup of ACE 44s, with mag plates around just in case I want to setup something wider in the future. Otherwise it's bye bye to everything else, decks or trucks, that are 8" or 8.5" (still a few sets of thunders to sell off and a set of Krux); I'm locking back into 8.25s now that I found a deck that works for [me on] everything.

The theeves cured my flip flopping on 139/147 - 149 issue on 8.25s once I was used to them (height specifically) so I nabbed some Kremer 144 hollows and I've not turned back/had the desire to swap. They feel awesome on everything and I actually enjoy the feel of the small amount of extra weight and solid feel the cast plates provide (like they did with thunders); the board no longer feels tinny or thin feeling.

Luckily (?) my wheel ocd is still there ;)

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2095 on: March 17, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »
I feel like I've quelled the madness for the time being with my 149 Thunder Ti's w/ cast baseplate & krux hollow downlow kingpin. My only gripe with thunder Ti's is the frequent wheelbite & kingpin clearance. The higher baseplate has kept the wheelbite away and the kingpin obviously never snags now so theyre like the perfect truck for me. I've always skated well on thunders and while I can pop pretty much any kind of setup fairly high, I like their responsiveness when I pop the tail. Makes it easy to do those weird tricks/lines where you gotta do couple small ollies in a row. Gonna try to grind these to the axel (got a nice deep crooked grind groove already) then probably try some theeve v3s next, since I loved my v2's until I started having the defects that were common on those versions at the time.

I can see why people fuck with Indy so hard tho I actually really liked the titaniums I skated a couple years ago (excellent stability on landings, nice strong grinding feel) but they're just too heavy for me, even the Ti's. I don't think one lightweight component on your board is gonna make or break you but I do feel like a combination of a lot of little things definitely helps your board flip better overall (I even got titanium hardware to cut down on weight), even if only by a small margin. If Indy made a slimmer truck with the same geometry I'd be highly interested, but it's hard to want to skate something I know is considerably heavier than any of my usual picks, especially titanium thunders thatre probably the lightest truck you can get that isn't shit (thank you BMCSteve for that big ass truck spreadsheet, what has been seen cannot be undone)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2096 on: March 17, 2017, 01:57:47 PM »
Expand Quote
I think after you skate ACES....and like em....an Indy feels sluggish.  As long as you're good with the widths....

Respect Fang....the 7.5 is the new shaped retro cruiser.....i sized up to an 8 out of necessity...but still consider myself in the over 40 under 8 club.  I still poke around for Motobilts from time to time.....
[close]

I hardly ever get time to skate so trying to convert to large boards / different trucks and shoes is too much to handle. Realizing I'm not into what's in style and just doing what I like (I seriously skate by myself now. No one wants to deal with scheduling around my 2 year Olds sleep patterns). So I'm just like yeah fine .. I'll skate familiar stuff. I've resisted the wide deck but I tried it, I think my nostalgia to small boards is too strong

I'd love to have a museum of old trucks. Those Tracker ultra lights were real popular when I was 10 (1986). I couldn't dig them at all. I had indy 169s on a giant Rob Roskopp. In hindsight though I wish I would have tried more trucks as a young guy. G & S trucks looked so weird but interesting. I never tried grind king either. That inverted kingpin made it look like a kids toy to me for some reason.

You forgot the street shadows......I skated the G&S and loved em...they'd grind anything.  They became the San Diego truck co. 

I totally get why people skate Thunders.....you ever try a nollie heel and your nose doesn't pop?  That never happens w Thunders....it pops all the time....it's fast because of the geometry.....

Dima

• Rep: -6
« Reply #2097 on: March 17, 2017, 04:26:15 PM »
how do people skate thunders(low trucks in general)and dont get annoyed by the wheelbite?

N.L.

« Reply #2098 on: March 17, 2017, 05:56:27 PM »

I still remember that fateful day that Mike McGill Convinced me to set up my Corey O'Brien with plastic baseplated Trackers... bastard.

All I can say, any time I've tried a truck that isn't from the Indy Family tree, I've regretted it horribly. Indy, Thunder, Ace for me. I'd ride Krux or Venture if I had to but thats it. Never tried lows of any form, never plan on it. I'm not opposed to hollow trucks and forged base plates but they've never helped me from what I can tell.
Although anodized Stage Vs were great and Ace Copper trucks often tempt me I can't do coloured trucks or truck graphics, silver, raw, maybe black.
88a Indy aftermarkets, stock Thunder whites and Krux bushings only. I always keep the washers on. Risers can often make certain trucks turn better. Wide and loose is how I like them. Axle width ALWAYS within +/- 1/4" of deck width.
That's all I've got from 30+ years of skateboarding.

I give a lot of used skate stuff away but never trucks. I'm saving all my Thunders/ Indys that have the Made in USA stamp on them... not sure why but I'm compelled to.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 217
« Reply #2099 on: March 17, 2017, 07:31:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You didn't miss anything. I tried many trucks, from Gullwing Mach IV Graphite to Motobilt, and most were shit during the mid-80s.