Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220750 times)

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2100 on: March 17, 2017, 10:47:23 PM »
how do people skate thunders(low trucks in general)and dont get annoyed by the wheelbite?

I have a cruiser set up with thunder his, risers and 56 mm wheels and it's the same height as my board with standard indys, no risers and 53 mm wheels. thunder los must give almost no clearance at all. it's a wonder people can skate them. but they do turn pretty stiff compared to indys.

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2101 on: March 17, 2017, 11:15:51 PM »
how do people skate thunders(low trucks in general)and dont get annoyed by the wheelbite?

Yah....I skate those theeves with a shock pad....skate trucks solid medium....don't weigh anything.....don't skate anything remotely big..and I get wheelbite all the time.....may be skill related....

Just dawned on me to ride what?  Hard lower soft upper?  What was the right combo?

Mongoloid

« Reply #2102 on: March 18, 2017, 08:24:13 AM »

I skate lows (loose), and I can tell you I'd probably stick a lot more tricks if I didn't. I can definitely say for certain that the turning radius really matters in these regards. Thunder lows (which I love) have the sort of radius where I find it nearly impossible to ride away on anything that isn't perfectly balanced. Ace lows I get much less dig, and have a little more space to "fudge it".

I prefer the pop of the thunders, but wheelbite can be a monster.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #2103 on: March 18, 2017, 11:07:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yah....I skate those theeves with a shock pad....skate trucks solid medium....don't weigh anything.....don't skate anything remotely big..and I get wheelbite all the time.....may be skill related....

Just dawned on me to ride what?  Hard lower soft upper?  What was the right combo?

Meh, I have shit balance. I should also add that I've never had as much wheelbite as skating Thunder His. But I've also been running them looser than usual...
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2104 on: March 18, 2017, 12:20:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thunder have great pop, ollies feel so good but I ride loose/carvy and they give me major wheel bite the way I ride with anything over 51mm; my current indys bite almost instantly too tho with 88a bushings and 52s.

Most people don't get (or care) that the boardside/bottom washer is what gives you your main stability and the top bushing is where the quick/fast turns come from (bottoms come into play when you lean super deep).

I tend to go harder bottom softer top when I ride bones bushings in thunders/indys.

Also, every bushing breaks in, settles on the duro below it anyway, e.g. skate a bones hard long enough and it will break into a 'permanent medium'.

Best to just try a bunch of shit out based on how loos/tight your ride and your terrain.

Dima

• Rep: -6
« Reply #2105 on: March 18, 2017, 05:52:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Thunder have great pop, ollies feel so good but I ride loose/carvy and they give me major wheel bite the way I ride with anything over 51mm; my current indys bite almost instantly too tho with 88a bushings and 52s.

Most people don't get (or care) that the boardside/bottom washer is what gives you your main stability and the top bushing is where the quick/fast turns come from (bottoms come into play when you lean super deep).

I tend to go harder bottom softer top when I ride bones bushings in thunders/indys.

Also, every bushing breaks in, settles on the duro below it anyway, e.g. skate a bones hard long enough and it will break into a 'permanent medium'.

Best to just try a bunch of shit out based on how loos/tight your ride and your terrain.

so what I understand from this it would be better to leave the bottom washer on and get rid of the top one cause I ride my forged indys that loose that if I have both washers on the nut keeps coming off so at least need to have the either or of the washers...cause im struggling with the stability at times but love the turn.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #2106 on: March 19, 2017, 04:34:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think after you skate ACES....and like em....an Indy feels sluggish.  As long as you're good with the widths....

Respect Fang....the 7.5 is the new shaped retro cruiser.....i sized up to an 8 out of necessity...but still consider myself in the over 40 under 8 club.  I still poke around for Motobilts from time to time.....
[close]

I hardly ever get time to skate so trying to convert to large boards / different trucks and shoes is too much to handle. Realizing I'm not into what's in style and just doing what I like (I seriously skate by myself now. No one wants to deal with scheduling around my 2 year Olds sleep patterns). So I'm just like yeah fine .. I'll skate familiar stuff. I've resisted the wide deck but I tried it, I think my nostalgia to small boards is too strong

I'd love to have a museum of old trucks. Those Tracker ultra lights were real popular when I was 10 (1986). I couldn't dig them at all. I had indy 169s on a giant Rob Roskopp. In hindsight though I wish I would have tried more trucks as a young guy. G & S trucks looked so weird but interesting. I never tried grind king either. That inverted kingpin made it look like a kids toy to me for some reason.
[close]

You forgot the street shadows......I skated the G&S and loved em...they'd grind anything.  They became the San Diego truck co. 

I totally get why people skate Thunders.....you ever try a nollie heel and your nose doesn't pop?  That never happens w Thunders....it pops all the time....it's fast because of the geometry.....

Whoa, those things are still out there: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-VTG-San-Diego-Old-School-4130-Chromoly-Bronze-Black-Skateboard-Trucks-8-75-/311737684628?hash=item4895039294:g:n1gAAOSwKOJYI0rV

Wish I could try em.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #2107 on: March 19, 2017, 06:54:08 PM »
As tech as they appear....I think bill Danforth designed them.....

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2108 on: March 20, 2017, 01:50:48 AM »
As tech as they appear....I think bill Danforth designed them.....

Danforth designed the G&S Road Hawg, a conventional aluminum truck.

I've ridden San Diego trucks, and they could grind and slappy like you couldn't believe. They even felt great on steel coping.

Here's an in-depth article on steel trucks:
Who Killed the Chromoly Truck?
http://skateandannoy.com/features/who-killed-the-chromoly-truck/

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2109 on: March 22, 2017, 06:09:43 AM »
Can someone make a gif from the Cody Mac Tensor ad I just saw here on Slap?

"Stoked to be riding Tensors" quote  ---> most unstoked looking face ever.

I'm tempted to try the new 8.25 Indys although I have a pair of garage sale Stage 7 or 8 146s in my basement  which are probably the same thing (but heavier with potential axle slip issues)

I like the wheel clearance and wheelbase of my Venture Highs although sometimes I just feel super squirrelly on them. At this point though I reckon Indys are going to feel super slow turning.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2110 on: March 22, 2017, 07:51:41 AM »
do thunders ever break in? I've ridden this set like 7 or 8 times and they are incredibly stiff still. if I try to slightly lean/carve while pushing the trucks stay straight and I feel like I'm going to fall off sideways. do a lot of people use different bushings with these? I still have the stock ones.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #2111 on: March 22, 2017, 08:03:49 AM »
do thunders ever break in? I've ridden this set like 7 or 8 times and they are incredibly stiff still. if I try to slightly lean/carve while pushing the trucks stay straight and I feel like I'm going to fall off sideways. do a lot of people use different bushings with these? I still have the stock ones.
Short answer. Yes, they break in.

BMCsteve

« Reply #2112 on: March 22, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »

Couple quick things that I do when breaking in new trucks -

Put a drop of lube in the pivot cup
Loosen the trucks so the nut is only like half threaded and just carve around for 20 minutes

Doing both of these will soften the pivot cup and set the rebound of the trucks.  doing this I've never broken a pivot cup and never cracked a bushing

N.L.

« Reply #2113 on: March 22, 2017, 09:14:53 AM »
just put my 151s back on... and landed my first 360 flip in months... hmmmm....

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2114 on: March 22, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Short answer. Yes, they break in.

THIS! I followed SLAP's advice to a T and they broke in perfectly 

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #2115 on: March 22, 2017, 06:01:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Loosen the trucks so the nut is only like half threaded and just carve around for 20 minutes

Doing both of these will soften the pivot cup and set the rebound of the trucks.  doing this I've never broken a pivot cup and never cracked a bushing

i always use these http://www.kickpush.com.au/assets/full/THUNDERBUSHINGS94.jpg

and they feel fine after 2-3 times. for me i weigh about 130 pounds so the 90duro stock is too soft for me and i gotta crank em down to make em feel right which fucks with my turning. the 94 works perfect for me on all thunder hi's
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #2116 on: March 22, 2017, 07:13:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i always use these http://www.kickpush.com.au/assets/full/THUNDERBUSHINGS94.jpg

and they feel fine after 2-3 times. for me i weigh about 130 pounds so the 90duro stock is too soft for me 
Lol it sounds like you're saying 130 is a lot. I weigh 150 and I love em.

N.L.

« Reply #2117 on: March 23, 2017, 07:59:14 AM »
I'm 190-200 lbs. Ride 54 - 56mm wheels on my Thunder 151s with stock bushings loose as possible. With 1/8" risers I get wheel bite but rarely enough to pitch me off the board. You light weight youngsters... you'll be ok....

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2118 on: March 23, 2017, 02:55:35 PM »
I'm 190-200 lbs. Ride 54 - 56mm wheels on my Thunder 151s with stock bushings loose as possible. With 1/8" risers I get wheel bite but rarely enough to pitch me off the board. You light weight youngsters... you'll be ok....

I'm only 160ish but when I tried Thunder 149s I totally got pitched. It wasn't as bad with risers but it was still worse than with other trucks I've tried.

2thick

• Rep: -63
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2119 on: March 23, 2017, 04:56:07 PM »
recently set up some thunder 149s with hollow kingpin and axle. I have definitely gotten more wheel bite than with my indys, but overall I'm way more satisfied with them- weird because I was Indy for life  ;D

thebacker

« Reply #2120 on: March 23, 2017, 07:23:54 PM »
Finally got a chance to put Krux Bushings on my Ace 44's and i couldn't be happier. very much worth

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2121 on: March 23, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »
been a long time, but went back to a double washer set-up, on thunders(149 team plate) with the white thunder bushings, and nuts barely on(hoping the bushings squish down more so i can get more securely fastened) seems nice, easier on the knee tendons to have some stability in the middle, years of play in the middle i feel have been a bit hard on my leading knee...

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2122 on: March 23, 2017, 10:07:36 PM »
been a long time, but went back to a double washer set-up, on thunders(149 team plate) with the white thunder bushings, and nuts barely on(hoping the bushings squish down more so i can get more securely fastened) seems nice, easier on the knee tendons to have some stability in the middle, years of play in the middle i feel have been a bit hard on my leading knee...

Is that way it is? My lead (left) knee, is just weird, like 6-8 months, something on top across the knee cap when ever I bend oddly for ollies or trick setups (I also can't squat deep anymore either unless I really focus on foot position and pushing into my heels). Never thought it to be sk8 related.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2123 on: March 24, 2017, 04:00:32 PM »
its seems to me to be related, the more more stable set-up seems to make a lot of difference, shit was just hurting everytime, increasingly only switch pushing... feels much better but also have been resting by way of weather

christ0v

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2124 on: March 25, 2017, 12:45:07 PM »
I'm gettin wheelbite on my standard stage 11 149s, with 53mm wheels. Should i change something ? I ride them loose but not wobbling loose. More like medium loose.  Maybe harder bushings ?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2125 on: March 25, 2017, 12:59:50 PM »
I'm gettin wheelbite on my standard stage 11 149s, with 53mm wheels. Should i change something ? I ride them loose but not wobbling loose. More like medium loose.  Maybe harder bushings ?

I'd say that wheelbite with Indys isn't completely avoidable. I ride 54 mm wheels with 149s and Bones hard and get wheelbite if I land wonky enough even when the wheels are worn down to about 50 mm. Much harder to get wheelbite with my other set up with 54 mm wheels and Ace 44 with Ace stock bottom and Bones medium top. With Krux you'll never get wheelbite. They'll stop turning deeper before that. You can ride on two wheels (on the same side) with them with 54 mm wheels.

christ0v

« Reply #2126 on: March 25, 2017, 01:30:40 PM »
and i was thinking about getting thunders next...

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2127 on: March 25, 2017, 11:13:44 PM »

Wax your wheel wells and your good to go, imo trucks don't turn properly if you don't get little wheelbite here and there...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2128 on: March 25, 2017, 11:19:21 PM »
Thunders with 1/8th riser is perfect for me. Makes them about the same height as standard Indy's, but you can set em as loose as they'll go stock and they won't bite at all with 54mm wheels.

christ0v

« Reply #2129 on: March 26, 2017, 01:17:45 AM »
Ohh, thanks for the advice