Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221083 times)

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2130 on: March 26, 2017, 07:55:49 PM »
Switching from Thunder to Indys is weird. I have switched to finger tight front truck and it surprises me. I should also note that before loosening them I started hearing a weird rattling noise and I have 1/8 risers.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2131 on: March 26, 2017, 10:10:06 PM »
Thunders with 1/8th riser is perfect for me. Makes them about the same height as standard Indy's, but you can set em as loose as they'll go stock and they won't bite at all with 54mm wheels.
basically this is my setup. not easy to adjust from when coming off indies but these days it's feeling a lot better (and hardly ever wheel bites)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2132 on: March 27, 2017, 05:30:36 AM »
Tried ace 44

I'd say they're about up to par with Indy 149's buttttt...

In the end I still choose thunders cause they do what I need

Handle the rough street terrain well without losing stability
Soliddddd (not all delicate, thin and flimsy feeling)
Stay nice and centered for trick setup
Turn fast
Light weight even for standard team version

The ace high models kinda confuse me though cause I noticed the roadside/top smaller bushing is kinda big. I swapped it with my normal sized ace low top bushing and kept the ace high cylinder bottom and they seemed more stable and had more clearance. I don't understand why ace had to make the top bushing on the highs so big when it's really just the bottom bushing that sets the geo right in place

Also to all the Indy fans I'll say, 149 are the right Indy if you ride anything 8 and up, the 139 feel so unstable with the height. I'm sure the 144 are probably best though for decks 8-8.5 or 149 for a more stable 8.25-8.6
yes

N.L.

« Reply #2133 on: March 27, 2017, 09:21:21 AM »
How'd you guys miss this?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2134 on: March 27, 2017, 09:26:15 AM »
I like the orange bushings but I wonder how perfect these are supposed to line up with a deluxe 8.25 board cause my 147 are almost perfect with my real 8.25 and my 149ers only stick out a tiny bit
yes

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #2135 on: March 27, 2017, 09:29:19 AM »
Fuck yes, I knew Indy's 8.25 would force thunder to do the same. 148 team hollows are pretty much my dream truck. I wonder if they're going with the 147 or 149II height? Maybe something in between???

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2136 on: March 28, 2017, 02:30:15 AM »
I just switched to Thunder Hi Titaniums 147 after riding Independent trucks for last 15 years.
Last Indys I rode were forged hollows 129 as I'm still on 7.75 - 7.8 decks and I must say that I'm blown away how good these Thunders are, got used to them after three sessions, ran them stock everything.
They are very stable (I think because they are wider then my old 129s) yet they turn when I want them to.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2137 on: March 28, 2017, 03:31:08 AM »
I just switched to Thunder Hi Titaniums 147 after riding Independent trucks for last 15 years.
Last Indys I rode were forged hollows 129 as I'm still on 7.75 - 7.8 decks and I must say that I'm blown away how good these Thunders are, got used to them after three sessions, ran them stock everything.
They are very stable (I think because they are wider then my old 129s) yet they turn when I want them to.

And that's why even after trying almost every truck I always go back to the classic 147 hi. They're light, stable, turn fast/respond fast, and solid.

yes

commander jameson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #2138 on: March 28, 2017, 05:02:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And that's why even after trying almost every truck I always go back to the classic 147 hi. They're light, stable, turn fast/respond fast, and solid.

I rode Thunders on and off around '97 to '01.
When I got these new ones I asked myself why I stopped riding them in the first place.
Pretty sure I stopped riding lows because of kingpin clearance, not sure why I stopped riding high, maybe because baseplates would crack after some time. I remember that was thing with Thunders back then.

Diocletian

« Reply #2139 on: April 04, 2017, 06:35:33 PM »
Hello fellow pals. I bought some Indy titaniums for the first time and skated them today. I'm using Bones hard bushings with no washers and they're super wobbly when I shake my board. I can turn really good yet the hard durometer wont allow me to wheelbite no matter how hard I turn, which is nice. The forged baseplate should prevent the kingpin from coming loose, too. Could be all in my head but these seem to grind a lot smoother and longer than regular cast Indy's. Overall I'd say they're worth the price.

However, even riding these Indy's with a wobble looseness, they still don't turn with that extra fast sharpness and control when you need it like Ace, but I'm getting tired of their bad quality control. So if anyone is curious about the titaniums and has the money, I'd say pull the trigger. I have no doubt these trucks will last a very long time.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2140 on: April 05, 2017, 12:06:17 AM »
but isnt the titanium indy just a titanium axle rod in the cast hangar ?

hey does anyone ride no roadside/top bushing WASHER ? ive been curious and tried it myself cause i saw some setups that either have no washers or just the top(NOT big bottom) washer removed and this kid who rips told me it turns better, and i noticed it does give a more free feeling carve and turn so i cant argue but am wondering does anyone else do this

im just worried about the inedible kingpin nut digging into the bushing, but why care when i got plenty of bushings for years haha
yes

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2141 on: April 05, 2017, 06:45:48 AM »
In my experience:
bones hard with no washers= carvy and wobbly but chill, but the top bushing plastic gets fucked

bones soft or med no washers= unpredictable wheelbite, lots of slams...

aftermrkt(indy thunder) hards top washer only= real nice carvy turn kinda, but not as stable

never tried pure urethane with no washers, but i assume it would hurt

fuddit

• Rep: -35
« Reply #2142 on: April 05, 2017, 08:50:36 AM »
I'm rocking with the standard indy 149 stage 11s, orange indy low bushings, and some 1/4 inch risers.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2143 on: April 05, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »

hey does anyone ride no roadside/top bushing WASHER ? ive been curious and tried it myself cause i saw some setups that either have no washers or just the top(NOT big bottom) washer removed and this kid who rips told me it turns better, and i noticed it does give a more free feeling carve and turn so i cant argue but am wondering does anyone else do this

im just worried about the inedible kingpin nut digging into the bushing, but why care when i got plenty of bushings for years haha

Better get an edible nut then.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2144 on: April 05, 2017, 12:36:39 PM »
I just went deaf ears and ordered the krux 8.25.
But I have an excuse. I have my axles so fucked up on my indys that it was a pain in the ass to take the wheels out but it was damn impossible to get the wheels on again. Even after trying to get the reflex tool to rethreat them, it just wouldnt catch because I had to sand the edges to take the wheels out. I just could put one wheel back on and the other I rethread it crooked so its fucked forever, the other 2's I cant even rethread. I just spent too much money on stuff this month already and the krux were the cheapest option and I was always curious about them so lets see if they are that bad (I hope not).

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

micky682

« Reply #2145 on: April 05, 2017, 02:43:21 PM »
I think your best bet is to buy Indys and Spitefire F4s a size or two bigger than your usual and just hope to god you don't get a flat spot.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2146 on: April 05, 2017, 03:19:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Better get an edible nut then.

Haha got me, *inevitable
yes

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #2147 on: April 06, 2017, 02:53:20 AM »
Riding doomsayers indies that are not hollow or any of that shit with bones soft. Kinda bummed cuz my bottom bushings are already all fucked and torn after two months. I ride em about as loose as they can be without having the shakes

Creed Bratton

• Rep: -32
« Reply #2148 on: April 06, 2017, 10:37:33 PM »
How'd you guys miss this?

When are these coming out??
I’m 30

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #2149 on: April 06, 2017, 11:54:54 PM »
I was messing around w my trucks and I might try a tih hanger on an ace baseplate.....it'll help in that it'll prevent my trucks from saying THEEVE on them......for real..if it works.....maglight baseplate?  Krux king pin and bushings......It's alive.....alive!

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2150 on: April 07, 2017, 12:07:19 AM »
But I have an excuse. I have my axles so fucked up on my indys that it was a pain in the ass to take the wheels out but it was damn impossible to get the wheels on again. Even after trying to get the reflex tool to rethreat them, it just wouldnt catch because I had to sand the edges to take the wheels out. I just could put one wheel back on and the other I rethread it crooked so its fucked forever, the other 2's I cant even rethread. I just spent too much money on stuff this month already and the krux were the cheapest option and I was always curious about them so lets see if they are that bad (I hope not).
You should try to put two washers on axle side (with some wheels i even managed to fit three) to get your nut flush with axle to prevent messing threads. After someone told me to do this I haven't had any issues with changing wheels/bearings.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2151 on: April 07, 2017, 06:11:29 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=88869.msg2629112#msg2629112 date=1491548839
Expand Quote
[close]
You should try to put two washers on axle side (with some wheels i even managed to fit three) to get your nut flush with axle to prevent messing threads. After someone told me to do this I haven't had any issues with changing wheels/bearings.

here is the one and only solution to all your problems guys

not exactly kidding
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2152 on: April 07, 2017, 06:58:15 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=88869.msg2629112#msg2629112 date=1491548839
Expand Quote
[close]

I did that, seriously, I never let my axle get exposed, I always let it flush with washers on the inside. But after having the wheels for about 1+ year I just went through the nuts to the axle. It didn't looked that bad, till I tried to unscrew them! ahah

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

rails

• Rep: -50
« Reply #2153 on: April 08, 2017, 06:04:02 PM »
136 Independent trucks stage viii. Bones top washer, orange Independent top bushing, yellow Bones bottom bushing, Independent bottom washer.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 06:07:23 PM by rails »

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2154 on: April 11, 2017, 12:43:17 PM »
So I finally got the krux 5.25 and had a little session to try them out. They are the Pyramid Country ones (forged too). I didnt used a painted pair of trucks in a couple of years but they were on sale and I found the graphic funny so I dont mind it that much.

First impression is pretty positive actually. I changed the bushings for the medium indy ones I was using before and they felt almost broken in instantly.
I ride medium/loose trucks (I guess) and they turn quite good and are responsive. They felt some miliseconds slower than my old indys but I think it is because the pivot cups are new still, nothing that throws me off tho.
The turn is deep also, not as deep as the old indy's but I think it's because the kingpin yoke is not worn out as much. On the Krux is still perfectly round and on the indys is almost oval because of the use (see below), so when I make sharp turns the krux stop at a point when the Indys can go a little deeper, but not a huge difference, they still turn great.
They are a little higher too, at 55mm, when the indys (forged light ones) were like 52 I think, and even with new 53mm wheels I couldnt get any wheelbite at all. I was landing some treflips on my front trucks that should had stopped and I kept rolling no problem. I actually feel that I was popping stuff higher too.
I only grinded the skatepark metal ledge, so I cant really tell how they grind but they felt really smooth.
All in all I had a quite good session for a "new trucks session" so I'm stocked on them. 

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #2155 on: April 11, 2017, 12:57:39 PM »
Krux bushings>every other bushing

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2156 on: April 11, 2017, 01:04:36 PM »
Krux bushings>every other bushing

I tried them for a little but they werent turning as I wanted. Had a slower response, probably because they arent broken in so I just changed for the Indy aftermarket ones I was using and are still in good shape, they felt a lot better. Are the krux ones that good that is worth the break in period?

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #2157 on: April 11, 2017, 04:05:20 PM »
Nah if you already tried them and didn't like them as much than I wouldn't worry about it because there is virtually no break in period for them.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #2158 on: April 16, 2017, 03:22:12 PM »
About indy stage xi:
1) is this true that the "new geometry " is based on stage v - vii geometry?
2) anyone have what the difference on geometry from stage x to Xi actually is?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2159 on: April 16, 2017, 05:14:12 PM »
About indy stage xi:
1) is this true that the "new geometry " is based on stage v - vii geometry?
2) anyone have what the difference on geometry from stage x to Xi actually is?

No one really knows for sure but that is what Indy told everyone - the biggest and most noticeable is the wider hanger cavity that prevents the top washer and hanger from binding like it did on the Stage Xs, and that they're taller.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:21:53 PM by Xen »