Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220791 times)

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2220 on: May 19, 2017, 07:23:04 AM »
I bought 148 thunders. I don't even really like thunders.
you never know about pre-cum 

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2221 on: May 19, 2017, 08:07:10 AM »
If anyone wants to know the illustrious Rob of the truck setup threads setup and why he's been gone and doesn't need to go psychos on these threads anymore is, if you want the turn of an Indy but the control of thunder 147 this is what I've been riding with utter happiness and sanity

Independent 139 low+1/8 risers/shock pads(pick your favorite)

You get the height and lower center of gravity control like a thunder 147 hi almost but the zippy carvy turn of an Indy

And don't ask why use risers with a low it's as contradicting as using riders on a high. Just why do you need to add more height to a truck that's already high. How loose would you be riding to need that clearance. Mainly talking about trucks 53mm tall and up
yes

N.L.

« Reply #2222 on: May 19, 2017, 08:34:21 AM »
I gotta say Aces are the funnest trucks for carving around on........back down the rabbit hole you go!  With age I've accepted that tinkering and setting shit up just to take em apart is a good alternative to getting wrecked.....I've always made fun of gear head types in cycling who basically don't ride....but now I get it....skate shit for the most part is cheap and I always hook up kids who need it with my old stuff....

Hope you find a way to get stoked on skating somehow....I spent a winter in my late 30's skating a two foot quarter in my garage...building up a quiver and it was the best.....

With you on that. It wasn't until I hit middle age that I cared. Until then it was the same old 149s... Could be worse, could be lycra or sports cars... 42 next week, treating myself to a new board and putting on some pre-broken in 44s.

calvinsdream

« Reply #2223 on: May 19, 2017, 11:40:24 AM »
If anyone wants to know the illustrious Rob of the truck setup threads setup and why he's been gone and doesn't need to go psychos on these threads anymore is, if you want the turn of an Indy but the control of thunder 147 this is what I've been riding with utter happiness and sanity

You get the height and lower center of gravity control like a thunder 147 hi almost but the zippy carvy turn of an Indy

And don't ask why use risers with a low it's as contradicting as using riders on a high. Just why do you need to add more height to a truck that's already high. How loose would you be riding to need that clearance. Mainly talking about trucks 53mm tall and up

Low trucks have slightly different geometry - their turn is different than highs.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2224 on: May 19, 2017, 09:23:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Low trucks have slightly different geometry - their turn is different than highs.

Somewhat true because when it comes to Indy They have it down with their signature geo so they know how to apply the same Indy carve on a low with these awesome stage 11 lows I got.

Ace high and low definitely do have this difference but thunders and Indy low or high have this turn that's easy to tell what they are out of other trucks.

yes

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2225 on: May 20, 2017, 01:03:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Somewhat true because when it comes to Indy They have it down with their signature geo so they know how to apply the same Indy carve on a low with these awesome stage 11 lows I got.

Ace high and low definitely do have this difference but thunders and Indy low or high have this turn that's easy to tell what they are out of other trucks.

Good for you that low indys worked, I tried everything with mine but ended up setting up standard height indys after few months...those things just don't turn enough for my preferences. I think I'm gonna try those forged ones next when my current set is dead.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

rails

• Rep: -50
« Reply #2226 on: May 22, 2017, 12:09:34 PM »

Royal bushings, stage viii Independent trucks

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2227 on: May 22, 2017, 07:06:23 PM »
does anyone else ride their front and back trucks setup exactly the same?

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #2228 on: May 22, 2017, 08:57:18 PM »

I tried, but If I make my front truck as tight as my back, it feels too stiff.. If the back's the same as the front it feels too wobbly.. There's gotta be a sweet balance spot.

I like the idea of identical trucks, but I'm too set in the old "back-truck-a-turn-or-two-tighter" ways.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2229 on: May 22, 2017, 11:24:22 PM »
It's not a bad idea and I know it messes with the grooves....but lately because I've had a bad case of boom-a-board...I've considered alternating to balance it out....

Any pointers on resolving the incessantly turning board?  I think it's due to wheel bite on the front toe corner.....my goal for 2017 is to study it more carefully and try and resolve it...

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2230 on: May 23, 2017, 08:38:35 AM »

Right here buddy, I have the truck OCD if my trucks are different tightness it throws me off cause I wanna be able to ride my board frontward or backwards without a problem. Its like this for me since I started where I thought if I learn more tricks and my board is flipping around and spinning back and forth I don't wanna think about how my front trucks looseness is gonna effect me when my board is backwards if I'm in fakie or whatever my mind wants to believe
yes

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2231 on: May 26, 2017, 02:41:43 PM »
It's not a bad idea and I know it messes with the grooves....but lately because I've had a bad case of boom-a-board...I've considered alternating to balance it out....

Any pointers on resolving the incessantly turning board?  I think it's due to wheel bite on the front toe corner.....my goal for 2017 is to study it more carefully and try and resolve it...

Man this sucks! My current setup is awful with this issue. Keeps turning the opposite way I want it to turn. I always like a little turning bias towards my frontside and since I set this new board up it always turns towards backside, even if I step on the trucks to correct it. I blame a shitty, misaligned drill job on the board. It is always either this or a bent axle that's causing the turning.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2232 on: May 27, 2017, 07:34:41 AM »
I always thought it was bushings so I'd loosen them up and tighten them again.....I'm considering riding softer just because maybe they are less inclined to get stuck....

N.L.

« Reply #2233 on: May 27, 2017, 10:27:40 PM »
I always thought it was bushings so I'd loosen them up and tighten them again.....I'm considering riding softer just because maybe they are less inclined to get stuck....

That worked for me.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2234 on: May 28, 2017, 07:42:28 AM »
I bought those $200 kook trucks......my other theory which is prolly wrong is if you skate race reds you won't have axel slip because you can tighten everything down.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #2235 on: May 28, 2017, 08:02:21 AM »
Expand Quote

Any pointers on resolving the incessantly turning board?  I think it's due to wheel bite on the front toe corner.....my goal for 2017 is to study it more carefully and try and resolve it...
[close]

Man this sucks! My current setup is awful with this issue. Keeps turning the opposite way I want it to turn. I always like a little turning bias towards my frontside and since I set this new board up it always turns towards backside, even if I step on the trucks to correct it. I blame a shitty, misaligned drill job on the board. It is always either this or a bent axle that's causing the turning.
Boomerang board? I kind of dig it when I'm skating alone since my board just comes back at me whenever I shoot out on a miscalculation. If anyone knows for sure how to fix this, I'd like to know.

I also would look at uneven wheel wear being a factor, too.

Stanley Spadowski

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
  • Can I still be the janitor?
« Reply #2236 on: May 28, 2017, 09:12:10 AM »
"These floors are dirty as hell, and I'm not gonna take it any more!"

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2237 on: May 28, 2017, 01:06:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Boomerang board? I kind of dig it when I'm skating alone since my board just comes back at me whenever I shoot out on a miscalculation. If anyone knows for sure how to fix this, I'd like to know.

Haha does it do a full circle when it comes back? Sounds like a serious case. Wheels wearing uneven can definitely cause the board to turn. I am about to set a new deck soon so will see if its my trucks having issues or if the holes on the board were drilled a bit of. Also, has anyone experienced baseplates with misaligned holes? I once had a set where one of the hangers was longer on one side and also a set where the bolts on one plate were closer to the edge (towards the pivot cup side)
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #2238 on: May 28, 2017, 05:36:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Haha does it do a full circle when it comes back? Sounds like a serious case. Wheels wearing uneven can definitely cause the board to turn. I am about to set a new deck soon so will see if its my trucks having issues or if the holes on the board were drilled a bit of. Also, has anyone experienced baseplates with misaligned holes? I once had a set where one of the hangers was longer on one side and also a set where the bolts on one plate were closer to the edge (towards the pivot cup side)

Shit like that really boils my potatoes >:( We can't let truck makers get away with this!

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2239 on: May 28, 2017, 07:44:59 PM »
I have to ride my front truck looser than the back truck.

It feels weird when riding the board backwards but I basically only do that for shove-its and I prefer to land on a board going forwards with those.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #2240 on: May 29, 2017, 12:04:48 AM »
This has me tempted me to buy a twin tail and new trucks to keep stock. Just to see what happens
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #2241 on: May 29, 2017, 12:18:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This has me tempted me to buy a twin tail and new trucks to keep stock. Just to see what happens

ha man i tried to ride the new thunder 148's stock (my old trucks were thunder 149 with the 94duro bushings) so the 90 duro stock bushing with a new pivot cup was wheel bite galore!

my point is if you're riding harder bushings than 90 duro (which i know stock thunders and indy's are 90 duro) its gonna be reallllllyyy looose
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2242 on: May 29, 2017, 02:50:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

ha man i tried to ride the new thunder 148's stock (my old trucks were thunder 149 with the 94duro bushings) so the 90 duro stock bushing with a new pivot cup was wheel bite galore!

my point is if you're riding harder bushings than 90 duro (which i know stock thunders and indy's are 90 duro) its gonna be reallllllyyy looose

Were they the white or clear yellows? The white ones always feel much softer than the yellows to me (even if they are supposedly the same duro).

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2243 on: May 29, 2017, 07:48:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Were they the white or clear yellows? The white ones always feel much softer than the yellows to me (even if they are supposedly the same duro).
148s are orange.
you never know about pre-cum 

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #2244 on: May 30, 2017, 08:59:00 AM »
Gotta set of Thunder lights 149s on the way.  The ones with just the hollow king pin and the forge base.

Would no risers, stock bushings, and 52mms cause wheel bite?

I haven't had Thunders  in forever and heard that wheel bite  pretty prevalent.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2245 on: May 30, 2017, 09:22:45 AM »
^amazing combo in your sig, who's that ?

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2246 on: May 30, 2017, 12:34:04 PM »
^I'd say Bledsoe, pure guess.^
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

--

« Reply #2247 on: May 30, 2017, 02:29:03 PM »
Gotta set of Thunder lights 149s on the way.  The ones with just the hollow king pin and the forge base.

i skate 145s with 53mms and get wheel bite but it's not really a problem. also, 149s are a bit higher than 145s so i'd say you're good

--

« Reply #2248 on: May 30, 2017, 02:35:42 PM »
does anybody else notice a slight delay in turning with the krux downlow kingpins?
it's kind of annoying

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #2249 on: May 30, 2017, 05:38:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
i skate 145s with 53mms and get wheel bite but it's not really a problem. also, 149s are a bit higher than 145s so i'd say you're good

Thanks man. How loose do you ride them and how stable are they when they are loose?