Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220738 times)

shitcunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 4
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2310 on: June 13, 2017, 06:38:21 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm getting a real big urge to switch to thunder from indy. The only thing thats stopping me is this question: is running 54mm without risers even possible without riding super tight? I'd hate to go down in wheel size, but the pull is strong.

I like almost everything about indy, the turn, the.. Maybe just the turn actually. The delayed pop has been messing with my head lately, I keep telling myself I'm just being picky.. But at the same time I need all the advantages I can get (since I suck). I love the pop of thunders, and the longer wheelbase, but the height worries me, the turn I think I could get used to.
[close]

I think this depends on truck and deck width. The wider you go the more chance you'll need risers... the law of moments....

I skate 54s on thunders with the forged baseplate and no risers. I keep them on the looser side of medium and haven't had any issues. I got more wheelbite when I skated indys at approximately the same tightness. My consistency has honestly gotten so much better after switching but I pretty much only skate ledges.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #2311 on: June 13, 2017, 07:08:38 AM »
Yeah that's what I was thinking, it'll have that sort of flip ability like 147 but the stability like 149, I saw them at the shop and they look very very well made. Something about the thunder 148 overall quality sticks out to me. It really looked like a revamped/remastered thunder to my keen eyes.

It didn't bulk out like a 149 even though they're the same height but it didn't look tight and low like a 147. Like the right porridge I would say
I can't believe I'm saying this because I didn't think it was possible but man, you smoke too much weed.

BMCsteve

« Reply #2312 on: June 13, 2017, 07:52:09 AM »
Yeah that's what I was thinking, it'll have that sort of flip ability like 147 but the stability like 149, I saw them at the shop and they look very very well made. Something about the thunder 148 overall quality sticks out to me. It really looked like a revamped/remastered thunder to my keen eyes.

It didn't bulk out like a 149 even though they're the same height but it didn't look tight and low like a 147. Like the right porridge I would say

I think you're losing your mind rob.  All they are is a 149 with a slightly shorter axle and hangar width.  literally no different otherwise

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2313 on: June 13, 2017, 08:59:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think you're losing your mind rob.  All they are is a 149 with a slightly shorter axle and hangar width.  literally no different otherwise

Really?

I believe you but at the same time I'm still thinking they're a significant amount of difference that gives them a better feel compared to 149 on an 8.25
yes

BMCsteve

« Reply #2314 on: June 13, 2017, 11:14:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Really?

I believe you but at the same time I'm still thinking they're a significant amount of difference that gives them a better feel compared to 149 on an 8.25

what difference are your referencing?  they're the same height with the same geometry

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #2315 on: June 13, 2017, 12:00:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm getting a real big urge to switch to thunder from indy. The only thing thats stopping me is this question: is running 54mm without risers even possible without riding super tight? I'd hate to go down in wheel size, but the pull is strong.

I like almost everything about indy, the turn, the.. Maybe just the turn actually. The delayed pop has been messing with my head lately, I keep telling myself I'm just being picky.. But at the same time I need all the advantages I can get (since I suck). I love the pop of thunders, and the longer wheelbase, but the height worries me, the turn I think I could get used to.
[close]

I think this depends on truck and deck width. The wider you go the more chance you'll need risers... the law of moments....
[close]

I skate 54s on thunders with the forged baseplate and no risers. I keep them on the looser side of medium and haven't had any issues. I got more wheelbite when I skated indys at approximately the same tightness. My consistency has honestly gotten so much better after switching but I pretty much only skate ledges.

That's just what I wanted to hear! I already bought some 53mm's, but its good to know 54's aren't much of a problem. Can't wait to get back on some thunders :o I didn't mind stage 11's, but I think they're just too high (and I still get a good amount of wheel bite too).

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2316 on: June 13, 2017, 05:23:48 PM »
I think you're losing your mind rob.
I hope not, can you imagine him in the asylum?
"but nurse, NURSE! I really am just going to stick with indys for the rest of my life"
"sure rob, that's what you said last week too before switched to krux and then back to thunder in a matter of two hours"

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2317 on: June 13, 2017, 07:06:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
"but nurse, NURSE! I really am just going to stick with indys for the rest of my life"
"sure rob, that's what you said last week too before switched to krux and then back to thunder in a matter of two hours"

they could make a whole season of american horror story based on slap's truck mania.

kook nukem

« Reply #2318 on: June 14, 2017, 11:01:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

they could make a whole season of american horror story based on slap's truck mania.
Wouldn't sleep for a week after watching.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #2319 on: June 15, 2017, 04:49:46 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I think you're losing your mind rob.  All they are is a 149 with a slightly shorter axle and hangar width.  literally no different otherwise
[close]

Really?

WARNING. LONG ASS, BANDWITH RIDDEN POST BELOW.

If you have two identical 8.25 decks in every single possible way (same wheels, grip, bushings etc...) except one for example has plain silver Indys 139's and one had plain silver Indy 149s,  then technically  yes, each deck would feel different when riding.  However, just recently and I got a complete from skate warehouse and they accidentally put the barcode for 149 onto a 148 so it registered as a 149 in their system but I was actually shipped a 148, and they looked so  similar I almost didn't notice.   Now I've only skated 148s  for a couple minutes on a friends 8.3 board, and while I did prefer my 149's on basically the same size deck, that might have just been because my set up had the wheels, grip etc. that I prefer.

I just can't see that you would really notice a  drastic difference between 148 and 149's on an 8.25.  I feel like where you might notice the difference using 148s would be on an 8.125 or  something just under 8.25 in that to my eye, the difference between 147s and 148's and is more  significant than the difference between 148's and 149's  

Then again, look at this video here. He's writing 149's on an 8.3 and even though  they are 8.5 inch trucks,  he says that they are 8.25 trucks which is good because they're thinner than your board by a hair so when you lock into grinds on one side of your truck that it lines up better,  even though,  The trucks are technically slightly wider than the board so who knows. Like I've said before, skating is 99.9% mental and this thread proves it.  Hell, most pros who fucking rip ride a board size and truck size that don't match and just use the shitty stock bushings (unless they are Thunders or Krux. Those both have amazing stock bushings).

Get Set Up | Chris Cole

Not trying to come off as a dick or a know it all or anytime like that in this post. Just trying to give my opinion.

PS, if anyone was wondering, Tthunder 149s on my 8.375 look like they are too wide when you look at the deck upside down but when you are riding it's absolutely perfect. Maybe on an 8.25, 148s will be better and you might be thinking, "Duh! They are 8.25 trucks. Of course they will be the best trucks for an 8.25 deck" but even when I used to ride 8.25 decks and 149s I never once thought, "gee I wish these trucks were just the tinyiest, most minute bit smaller", but on anything from like an 8.25 deck to an 8.6 I'd still prefer 149s over 148s every day. I just like how wider trucks turn and you have more room to grind.

PPS, didn't someone say the quality of the 148s seemed better than the 149s? Well here's a pic of when I had them both brand new and the quality looks identical.

PPPS. I can say that while I actually prefer the turn of the stock Thunder bushings, bones bushings with only a top washer fit perfectly. You will however get wheel bite like fucking crazy unless you use Bones hards.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2320 on: June 15, 2017, 04:52:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

would definitely be looking to order the straitjacket with the downlow krux inverted sleeves because the other sleeves would give him armbite
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2321 on: June 15, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Or a 147 with a slightly larger axle and hanger width  ???
 ;)

BMCsteve

« Reply #2322 on: June 15, 2017, 11:18:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

;)

They are actually different than the 147 because they have the same height as the 149

eshins

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2323 on: June 16, 2017, 07:46:06 AM »

I just tried 149 thunders with 54mm conical f4's without risers, but put risers on after a month. The wheelbite is pretty wild even after tightening your trucks up just enough to still be able to turn. I just couldn't land tre's, the real annoying part is something I've never even thought about, the wheels stick out further than the baseplate making locking in to nose slides and tail slides impossible unless you pretty much do a powerslide.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2324 on: June 16, 2017, 08:06:56 AM »
^^^the wide wheels definitely didn't help you at all either
hardly art, hardly starving

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2325 on: June 16, 2017, 08:12:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the real annoying part is something I've never even thought about, the wheels stick out further than the baseplate making locking in to nose slides and tail slides impossible unless you pretty much do a powerslide.
Are Thunders good for noseslides?

shitcunt

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2326 on: June 16, 2017, 08:21:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just tried 149 thunders with 54mm conical f4's without risers, but put risers on after a month. The wheelbite is pretty wild even after tightening your trucks up just enough to still be able to turn. I just couldn't land tre's, the real annoying part is something I've never even thought about, the wheels stick out further than the baseplate making locking in to nose slides and tail slides impossible unless you pretty much do a powerslide.
I've skate the same setup without issue, looser side of medium, I'm 165 lbs though so your milage may vary. Granted I live in the northeast so my 54s are only 54s for a week or so. The baseplate thing does suck though, I don't get how thunder just overlooks such a glaring design flaw.

BMCsteve

« Reply #2327 on: June 16, 2017, 09:15:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
I've skate the same setup without issue, looser side of medium, I'm 165 lbs though so your milage may vary. Granted I live in the northeast so my 54s are only 54s for a week or so. The baseplate thing does suck though, I don't get how thunder just overlooks such a glaring design flaw.

Everyone makes fun of the nose/tail slide question but it is legitimately easier to slide when the baseplate comes into contact with the ledge vs just the wheels.  One more reason to love Venture

Also, Thunder is working on an extended baseplate at the request of Ishod

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2328 on: June 17, 2017, 08:14:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

;)

[close]

They are actually different than the 147 because they have the same height as the 149

Just took pics to sell off my 147/149 ti thunders and lined them up, I never knew/noticed how much taller the 149s were, it's equal to a hi and a lo, crazy!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 05:27:25 PM by Xen »

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2329 on: June 17, 2017, 10:59:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
it is legitimately easier to slide when the baseplate comes into contact with the ledge vs just the wheels. 

Or rather than using different trucks you could always just use more wax and/or go faster lol.

Also, does anyone know the height of 147s?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2330 on: June 17, 2017, 11:13:36 PM »
After being pitched repeatedly, I'm blaming all of Ed Templeton's concussions on Thunders.

I'm riding stock Ventures still.

you never know about pre-cum 

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2331 on: June 18, 2017, 02:02:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
it is legitimately easier to slide when the baseplate comes into contact with the ledge vs just the wheels. 
[close]

Or rather than using different trucks you could always just use more wax and/or go faster lol.

Also, does anyone know the height of 147s?
They're like 49.75 or some shit. Basically 50mm.

Doughboy

• Rep: 21
  • Coffee and Advil
« Reply #2332 on: June 18, 2017, 04:08:28 AM »
With all of the Thunder talk as of late... I am going to go ahead and ask this question... Does anyone else think that some of the wheelbite issues or difficulty to break in Thunder bushings could be solved if Thunders would just come stock with a barrel bottom bushing instead of the conical bottoms they come with? Even a barrel bottom aftermarket that geometrically matches with Thunders would be cool. This has been on my mind for many years now and I just figured I'd see what ya'll think.
   I really think that for a truck that already has a much sharper geometry than Indy, Venture, or Ace (all barrel bottom bushing trucks) that it would make sense for Thunder to have a barrel bottom bushing to off-set the already drastically sharp geometry.
   Somewhere in the Thunder timeline, like pre 2000 they had barrel bottoms...??? :P

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2333 on: June 18, 2017, 06:12:11 PM »
With all of the Thunder talk as of late... I am going to go ahead and ask this question... Does anyone else think that some of the wheelbite issues or difficulty to break in Thunder bushings could be solved if Thunders would just come stock with a barrel bottom bushing instead of the conical bottoms they come with? Even a barrel bottom aftermarket that geometrically matches with Thunders would be cool. This has been on my mind for many years now and I just figured I'd see what ya'll think.
   I really think that for a truck that already has a much sharper geometry than Indy, Venture, or Ace (all barrel bottom bushing trucks) that it would make sense for Thunder to have a barrel bottom bushing to off-set the already drastically sharp geometry.
   Somewhere in the Thunder timeline, like pre 2000 they had barrel bottoms...??? :P

Just like putting conicals in indys quicken the turn, putting barrels in thunders slow it down; however, truck and wheel height is still the biggest contributing factor for wheel bite.

Stock thunder bottom bushings are really tall, like ace/krux tall, even bones/indy stock/aftermarkets, with a washer are shorter than stock thunders with a washer. I find leaving them stock is best, even tho the bushings aren't responsive compared to the others.

eshins

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2334 on: June 19, 2017, 02:13:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

See thats not the issue, the baseplate doesnt come into contact with the ledge so you can't lock into a good slide. I dont know about you but I like for my tail/nose slides to lock in against the baseplate for more control, besides depending on your wheels you might end up flatspotting your wheels after a few slides because of this issue

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2335 on: June 19, 2017, 04:25:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

See thats not the issue, the baseplate doesnt come into contact with the ledge so you can't lock into a good slide. I dont know about you but I like for my tail/nose slides to lock in against the baseplate for more control, besides depending on your wheels you might end up flatspotting your wheels after a few slides because of this issue
I get what you're saying. But going faster or using more wax would 100% help the issue of your wheels sliding.

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #2336 on: June 19, 2017, 02:57:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Also, Thunder is working on an extended baseplate at the request of Ishod

Just when I thought I was done buying more trucks...

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #2337 on: June 19, 2017, 06:13:45 PM »
Finally got my 149 thunders, slapped them on and went for a cruise.. My god they're so perfect :o I don't know why I was so adamant about riding indy all this time, I'm a fool! Somehow thunders manage to be quick/nimble, AND stable. The pop is just right. I've found my home.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2338 on: June 19, 2017, 07:08:05 PM »
Finally got my 149 thunders, slapped them on and went for a cruise.. My god they're so perfect :o I don't know why I was so adamant about riding indy all this time, I'm a fool! Somehow thunders manage to be quick/nimble, AND stable. The pop is just right. I've found my home.
I couldn't agree more with every word of this if I tried.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #2339 on: June 20, 2017, 08:00:16 AM »
I've settled back into Indy. Stage 11 seem pretty good so far, the familiar turning feels like home. Almost safe enough again to buy some "F#*k the rest" gear