Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220977 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2340 on: June 20, 2017, 05:15:21 PM »
I've settled back into Indy. Stage 11 seem pretty good so far, the familiar turning feels like home. Almost safe enough again to buy some "F#*k the rest" gear

Was off the board for close to week due to work so, being off for that long, I switched it up from 8" thunders (soft bones) to 8.25" indys (forged, aftermarket 88a conicals/riptide pivot cups) and fuck it was so comfy - pop was off but the feel was spot on.

I force myself to ride thunders due to the little push in wheelbase, pop [and weight].

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2341 on: June 20, 2017, 05:46:45 PM »
The pop is just right.
you're one of the lucky ones, it took me so long to get used to the delayed (?) pop after riding indys for close to 20+ years

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #2342 on: June 20, 2017, 05:57:54 PM »
Expand Quote
The pop is just right.
[close]
you're one of the lucky ones, it took me so long to get used to the delayed (?) pop after riding indys for close to 20+ years

I'm sure I could've gotten used to it eventually, but:

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2343 on: June 20, 2017, 07:48:51 PM »
Expand Quote
I think you're losing your mind rob.
[close]
I hope not, can you imagine him in the asylum?
"but nurse, NURSE! I really am just going to stick with indys for the rest of my life"
"sure rob, that's what you said last week too before switched to krux and then back to thunder in a matter of two hours"

Hahahhahaha man you guys are funny, and old reply but I do notice a difference on slides locking in with baseplates that stick out. Makes it super easy to do slide shuv outs

I got the 148 and yeah they're just a slimmer lighter 149, not as bulky and carvy but does flip faster than 149.
yes

Doughboy

• Rep: 21
  • Coffee and Advil
« Reply #2344 on: June 21, 2017, 01:38:14 PM »
Expand Quote
With all of the Thunder talk as of late... I am going to go ahead and ask this question... Does anyone else think that some of the wheelbite issues or difficulty to break in Thunder bushings could be solved if Thunders would just come stock with a barrel bottom bushing instead of the conical bottoms they come with? Even a barrel bottom aftermarket that geometrically matches with Thunders would be cool. This has been on my mind for many years now and I just figured I'd see what ya'll think.
   I really think that for a truck that already has a much sharper geometry than Indy, Venture, or Ace (all barrel bottom bushing trucks) that it would make sense for Thunder to have a barrel bottom bushing to off-set the already drastically sharp geometry.
   Somewhere in the Thunder timeline, like pre 2000 they had barrel bottoms...??? :P

[close]

Just like putting conicals in indys quicken the turn, putting barrels in thunders slow it down; however, truck and wheel height is still the biggest contributing factor for wheel bite.

Stock thunder bottom bushings are really tall, like ace/krux tall, even bones/indy stock/aftermarkets, with a washer are shorter than stock thunders with a washer. I find leaving them stock is best, even tho the bushings aren't responsive compared to the others.
Yeah man thanks for taking a look at what I wrote and providing some insight. I was legitimately interested to find out if anyone else has ever thought about the benefits that a barrel bottom bushing in Thunders could provide. I know I am probably a minority in this though, but in my mind it would make sense to have a barrel bottom stock or even an aftermarket Thunder branded option...
My main points of reasoning are...
1. Thunders already have a distinct and dynamically more quick/sharp geometry than Indy, Venture, and Ace.
2. Thunders are the lowest standard height of all of above listed brands 52.3ish mm. I'm talking about 149's of course.
3. From my own personal experience/preference, and again maybe I am in the minority opinion with this one... For me it seems that barrel bottoms feel more stable when new than conical bottoms. I believe that decreases the amount of time it takes to break them in and thus gives more time to enjoy your ride.

With all that said, I do really like Thunders. Thunders are a smooth operator. When I skate them I keep the bushings stock and the kingpin nut flush or slightly looser than flush and that seems to give me decent results. I think I would just prefer barrels though. I also think that alot of the people that experience major wheelbite issues, think Thunders are too twitchy, or whatever kind of things I have heard people say about them would benefit if there was a Thunder branded compatible barrel bottom option... I'm not here to complain or ask Deluxe to reinvent the wheel, in this case the bushing or anything. I'm just some dude and Deluxe is Deluxe so I'm sure somewhere there is some reasoning for what they do :)

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2345 on: June 21, 2017, 06:44:41 PM »
I guess you can tinker with harder bushings or washers which might change the height......

It's sounds dumb but my thunders went on my miniramp set up and I ride em tight......

I've asked a bunch of people if they have wheelbite problems...and while it is kinda common....part of me thinks its skill related....

le88

• Rep: -7
« Reply #2346 on: June 21, 2017, 07:38:49 PM »
I've had these 149 thunders for a while now, flush with the kingpin, never messed with it too much and they are perfection. it did feel weird going from 149 indys to these coz of the height difference. And thinking of trying out the 148s just because

Zimmer

« Reply #2347 on: June 21, 2017, 07:50:34 PM »
Bottom barrels on thunders does sound like a good idea, for now I think I'm gonna order up some 95a replacements. The stock sets are a little too soft for me!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2348 on: June 21, 2017, 09:27:11 PM »
Bottom barrels on thunders does sound like a good idea, for now I think I'm gonna order up some 95a replacements. The stock sets are a little too soft for me!
pretty much magic once you break them in though! Give it 3-4 sessions and then adjust accrodingly

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2349 on: June 21, 2017, 11:19:07 PM »
Hey....um...someone posted up some dirt cheap theeves in the sale thread......

Zimmer

« Reply #2350 on: June 22, 2017, 05:53:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
pretty much magic once you break them in though! Give it 3-4 sessions and then adjust accrodingly

I just finished swapping in some white bushings from my hollow lights (that are a little more broken in), so I'll give it some more time before I go to the 95's!

N.L.

« Reply #2351 on: June 22, 2017, 07:50:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I just finished swapping in some white bushings from my hollow lights (that are a little more broken in), so I'll give it some more time before I go to the 95's!

Sick signature. Frank? Where's the clip from?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2352 on: June 22, 2017, 08:05:07 PM »

Frank! Where's the clip from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTukFuM4g2M

Edit: Just realised, Frank is #teamdogdrugs too
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 08:07:46 PM by Paco Supreme »

Zimmer

« Reply #2353 on: June 22, 2017, 08:12:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Sick signature. Frank? Where's the clip from?

It sure is! And its from that ^^ the eagle vid

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #2354 on: June 23, 2017, 04:13:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

the white ones are perfect. Basically the same hardness as the bones mediums I was riding in my old thunders and they turn just as good,but don't feel as floppy. Mush more stable ride but still a super quick turn!

shitcunt

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2355 on: June 23, 2017, 12:51:55 PM »
Does a Krux kingpin in thunder 149s work? I'm sure it's been discussed before but it would be rough sifting through this thread to find where.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2356 on: June 23, 2017, 12:53:48 PM »
Does a Krux kingpin in thunder 149s work? I'm sure it's been discussed before but it would be rough sifting through this thread to find where.

Yup I did that for a while worked perfectly.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2357 on: June 23, 2017, 04:19:45 PM »

Yes but in cast base plates only

shitcunt

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2358 on: June 26, 2017, 08:46:06 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Damn, I got forged cause that was all my shop had. I honestly might just pick up a set of the 148's and swap out the base plate until I war these out.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2359 on: June 26, 2017, 12:08:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Damn, I got forged cause that was all my shop had. I honestly might just pick up a set of the 148's and swap out the base plate until I war these out.

Not certain, but I'm pretty sure you can still hammer out the kingpin in forged baseplates, just takes a lot more effort.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2360 on: June 26, 2017, 12:53:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Not certain, but I'm pretty sure you can still hammer out the kingpin in forged baseplates, just takes a lot more effort.

Hammering out the hollowpin in forged thunder plates isn't the issue, the thin nature of the plates is...you see, the kingpin nut won't be recessed enough in the baseplate for the plate to sit flush against the deck (though once you tighten it all down it will after it pushes into to the ply).

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:24:57 AM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2361 on: June 26, 2017, 11:06:13 PM »
I had to cut down some old gullwing inverted and it wasn't easy and ran into a similar problem....I threw on a washer to fill up the kingpin...rode a thin riser....considered routing out the deck too but got it sorted....

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #2362 on: June 28, 2017, 12:18:46 PM »
lookin fir some gently used thunder 149s.  see classifieds
hardly art, hardly starving

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2363 on: June 28, 2017, 03:07:17 PM »
lookin fir some gently used thunder 149s.  see classifieds

PM'd ya

Can swap red team plates if you want them instead;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:05:13 PM by Xen »

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2364 on: June 28, 2017, 03:35:24 PM »
Expand Quote
lookin fir some gently used thunder 149s.  see classifieds
[close]

PM'd ya
Watch out, 145's that have been run over by a car are going to show up...
you never know about pre-cum 

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #2365 on: June 28, 2017, 06:49:21 PM »
nah. thanks tho xen. 
hardly art, hardly starving

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2366 on: June 29, 2017, 01:22:20 PM »
Does anyone have or know where I can get the old thunder 149ers? The lower ones that were shaped like the now silver L-class
yes

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #2367 on: June 29, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »
Does anyone have or know where I can get the old thunder 149ers? The lower ones that were shaped like the now silver L-class

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-149ers-Skateboard-Trucks-/371902787383?hash=item5697222f37:g:kgAAAOSwB-1Y1S-C

but that price is a bit too high for the condition IMO
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2369 on: June 29, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Thunder-Team-149-Hi-Skateboard-Trucks-2-pc-Set-Polished-/141627392752?hash=item20f9a682f0:g:sS0AAMXQ9wJR5z1M

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-149ers-Skateboard-Trucks-/371902787383?hash=item5697222f37:g:kgAAAOSwB-1Y1S-C

Thanks for the links, I saw those ones too but idk how much I can trust the one that say they're 149 low and the og cause I really don't want to buy them and get the remaster and send them back. Is there a way I can reply to the seller ? The ones that are fresh and have all the pics
yes