Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 296638 times)

fulfillthedream

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2401 on: June 29, 2017, 06:08:37 PM »
Does anyone have or know where I can get the old thunder 149ers? The lower ones that were shaped like the now silver L-class

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Thunder-Team-149-Hi-Skateboard-Trucks-2-pc-Set-Polished-/141627392752?hash=item20f9a682f0:g:sS0AAMXQ9wJR5z1M

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thunder-149ers-Skateboard-Trucks-/371902787383?hash=item5697222f37:g:kgAAAOSwB-1Y1S-C

Thanks for the links, I saw those ones too but idk how much I can trust the one that say they're 149 low and the og cause I really don't want to buy them and get the remaster and send them back. Is there a way I can reply to the seller ? The ones that are fresh and have all the pics
yes

N.L.

« Reply #2402 on: June 29, 2017, 07:14:36 PM »
Those are probably legit. I had those exact trucks. But I will say this, the newer version are far better.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #2403 on: June 29, 2017, 09:17:43 PM »
Those are probably legit. I had those exact trucks. But I will say this, the newer version are far better.

I have the remaster and I get it why would you go backwards when moving forward is the way to go. I loved the way the old ones were somehow a 49mm height and so wide and stable. It was such a solid low feeling truck with so much stability and control and I gave them away and got the new remaster cause hey they're higher by a bit and that with the width should be better right

It is a really solid stable turny truck with the sig thunder feel and control even though it's a little taller than I'm use to it still thunder and solid but to my preferences I don't bend my knees much and have somewhat of a stiff style so the low height helps me hit my tail faster since I don't bend down all the way and push down and pop as much as I should

So yeah that's why I want them again, my 147 hi are superb but I'm kinda feeling to size up but keep the low feel
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #2404 on: July 04, 2017, 09:25:16 AM »
Anyone know which risers work best with Aces? Diamond?

How about Ventures?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 57
« Reply #2405 on: July 04, 2017, 10:02:33 AM »

How about Ventures?
for venture ive run these so i can get them in a right spot. thunder 1/8"

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2406 on: July 04, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »

How about Ventures?

I heard those are really brittle, so I dunno if I should look for something else.  :-\

Gotta have those risers with the long slots though for Ventures? Are the holes in the baseplates drilled in such a different position that an Indy riser or similar just wouldn't sit right?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -85
« Reply #2407 on: July 04, 2017, 11:13:26 AM »
do you want a softer riser or hard ones? Indy risers work in Aces, but I've used bones too, they have the slider instead of the holes.  I have some krooked risers on ventures right now, they fit perfectly and they're kind of soft.
you never know about pre-cum 

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2408 on: July 04, 2017, 11:43:44 AM »
do you want a softer riser or hard ones? Indy risers work in Aces, but I've used bones too, they have the slider instead of the holes.  I have some krooked risers on ventures right now, they fit perfectly and they're kind of soft.

Hard.

I guess Indy risers work in Aces, but the Ace baseplate is smaller than the Indy baseplate so the risers stick out quite a bit more than on Indy. I was thinking if something is a tad bit smaller, so it doesn't stick out so much. I'm afraid the Indy riser would break as it sticks out so much that you can partially see the square holes on the riser as the Ace baseplate doesn't cover it all that well.

As for Ventures, I've never had any but am interested in getting a pair and I have no idea what the baseplate is like. With Thunders the screw holes are more centred right, so you gotta use risers with those long slots to get the riser to align correctly?

I have to order all this shit online, so I'd like to get it right the first time. Would be easy to see what fits in a shop, but sadly I don't have that luxury.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2409 on: July 04, 2017, 11:54:37 AM »
do you want a softer riser or hard ones? Indy risers work in Aces, but I've used bones too, they have the slider instead of the holes.  I have some krooked risers on ventures right now, they fit perfectly and they're kind of soft.

Hard.

I guess Indy risers work in Aces, but the Ace baseplate is smaller than the Indy baseplate so the risers stick out quite a bit more than on Indy. I was thinking if something is a tad bit smaller, so it doesn't stick out so much. I'm afraid the Indy riser would break as it sticks out so much that you can partially see the square holes on the riser as the Ace baseplate doesn't cover it all that well.

As for Ventures, I've never had any but am interested in getting a pair and I have no idea what the baseplate is like. With Thunders the screw holes are more centred right, so you gotta use risers with those long slots to get the riser to align correctly?

I have to order all this shit online, so I'd like to get it right the first time. Would be easy to see what fits in a shop, but sadly I don't have that luxury.
The bones 1/8" hard ones worked perfectly, they didn't stick out at all.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2410 on: July 04, 2017, 12:15:37 PM »

Hard.

The bones 1/8" hard ones worked perfectly, they didn't stick out at all.

Cool. Thanks for the info. They even seem to have those at the local shop. If they work nicely with Ventures also, I might only have to order the trucks online.  :)

256 Ply

• Rep: 7
« Reply #2411 on: July 04, 2017, 10:26:23 PM »

How about Ventures?

I heard those are really brittle, so I dunno if I should look for something else.  :-\

Gotta have those risers with the long slots though for Ventures? Are the holes in the baseplates drilled in such a different position that an Indy riser or similar just wouldn't sit right?

You can also get slotted risers from

Bro Style
Pig (1/4" & 1/2" only)
Bones
Krooked

full of jerks

• Rep: -11
« Reply #2412 on: July 04, 2017, 10:31:48 PM »
Yeah the Thunder risers are the exact size of a Venture base plate.  Bones are the exact size of of everything else.  So you get nothing sticking out with the Bones riser.

Also Shorties makes 1/16" risers (not slotted) so that you can agonize of small differences in height.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2413 on: July 05, 2017, 07:40:41 PM »
Didn't wanna bump the thread related to this, but

These are just painted right?
should strip back with acetone/some solvent pretty easy

Shop is having a close down sale and 144's are going cheap

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2414 on: July 05, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »

Yea, I believe they're anodized, so regular acetone isn't going to work. I stripped an old set of thunders with Easy Off oven cleaner. The metal underneath is not polished, so just be prepared for some super raw trucks.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2415 on: July 05, 2017, 07:59:51 PM »

Yea, I believe they're anodized, so regular acetone isn't going to work. I stripped an old set of thunders with Easy Off oven cleaner. The metal underneath is not polished, so just be prepared for some super raw trucks.

Yeah i saw yours in the " remove paint from trucks" thread, i didnt mind the look. im probably gonna pull the trigger on them

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2416 on: July 05, 2017, 08:02:03 PM »

Yeah i saw yours in the " remove paint from trucks" thread, i didnt mind the look. im probably gonna pull the trigger on them
Right on, good luck. Make sure you get the yellow can, not the fume free kind. You need alllllll the chemicals.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #2417 on: July 06, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
Does anybody have any recommendations for after market bushings for aces?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2418 on: July 06, 2017, 08:53:05 PM »

I have Bones medium on top, stock bottom. Works like a charm for me. Full on Bones bushings don't work too well. Ppl here have been raving about Krux bushings on Aces. I tried it and for me it was way too squirrelly. It all depends on what you are looking for in new bushings.

DaveFuck

• Rep: 33
« Reply #2419 on: July 06, 2017, 08:57:48 PM »

KRUX KRUX KRUX
it's night and day

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #2420 on: July 06, 2017, 10:07:00 PM »

KRUX KRUX KRUX
it's night and day
Krux are amazing, but I found that the stock ace bushings are also amazing once you break them in. It takes long as fuck though.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #2421 on: July 06, 2017, 10:27:22 PM »
I was just about to ask the same, decided to give my 44 with those weird .38 nuts a go again and I remembered why I put them away after spending $40 for them, the stock bushings are hard.

Like 94a so I swapped out to bones mediums and the hangar angles back a little taking a tiny bit of height off which I like but I trust you guys on that it probably won't be a good feel so maybe I'll just do the stock no bottom washer,

Also did you guys notice the stock bottom washer seems too small for the barrels? They start to squish out a little just tightened flush

yes

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2422 on: July 06, 2017, 10:54:58 PM »
Ace stock bushings are surprisingly tight at first but get noticeably looser after they break in.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2423 on: July 06, 2017, 11:09:38 PM »
Ace stock bushings are surprisingly tight at first but get noticeably looser after they break in.
Yeah they seem sooo hard and the top bushing seems too tall but after they break in they're just beautiful.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2424 on: July 06, 2017, 11:11:17 PM »

KRUX KRUX KRUX
it's night and day

Without a doubt. But, if you can suck it up, ACE bushings are just fine once broken in.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 144
« Reply #2425 on: July 07, 2017, 05:02:18 AM »
Gnars for the input. Also, what is the deal with ace pivot cups?? Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:05:44 AM by paraquat »

DaveFuck

• Rep: 33
« Reply #2426 on: July 07, 2017, 06:54:11 AM »
Gnars for the input. Also, what is the deal with ace pivot cups?? Any suggestions?
theyre VERY squeaky but get the job done. The krux bushings I ordered came with new pivot cups but they seem too big for aces pivot cup.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2427 on: July 07, 2017, 08:50:27 AM »
theyre VERY squeaky but get the job done. The krux bushings I ordered came with new pivot cups but they seem too big for aces pivot cup.
Yeah the krux pivots stick out a lot if you slip them in the ace pivot cup hole. On the two sets of Aces I've bought they were fine and didn't squeak at all but I've heard people say they blow out pretty fast. So I went full on nerd mode and bought some rip tide pivot cups for my 66's and 44's. If you like loose trucks and are willing to drop that kind of moneys on pivot cups I think they're totally worth it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2428 on: July 07, 2017, 09:31:49 AM »
Yeah the krux pivots stick out a lot if you slip them in the ace pivot cup hole. On the two sets of Aces I've bought they were fine and didn't squeak at all but I've heard people say they blow out pretty fast. So I went full on nerd mode and bought some rip tide pivot cups for my 66's and 44's. If you like loose trucks and are willing to drop that kind of moneys on pivot cups I think they're totally worth it.

Riptides make it all so smooth...I put mine from my indy 44s in my thunder 148s, stock bushings and they feel great...Khiro (small/soft) pivots are also a great choice for ACE.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2429 on: July 07, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »

Riptides make it all so smooth...I put mine from my indy 44s in my thunder 148s, stock bushings and they feel great...Khiro (small/soft) pivots are also a great choice for ACE.
They were definitely worth it even though I felt slight shame for spending 15$ on pivot cups.