Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221041 times)

N.L.

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2370 on: June 29, 2017, 07:14:36 PM »
Those are probably legit. I had those exact trucks. But I will say this, the newer version are far better.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2371 on: June 29, 2017, 09:17:43 PM »
Those are probably legit. I had those exact trucks. But I will say this, the newer version are far better.

I have the remaster and I get it why would you go backwards when moving forward is the way to go. I loved the way the old ones were somehow a 49mm height and so wide and stable. It was such a solid low feeling truck with so much stability and control and I gave them away and got the new remaster cause hey they're higher by a bit and that with the width should be better right

It is a really solid stable turny truck with the sig thunder feel and control even though it's a little taller than I'm use to it still thunder and solid but to my preferences I don't bend my knees much and have somewhat of a stiff style so the low height helps me hit my tail faster since I don't bend down all the way and push down and pop as much as I should

So yeah that's why I want them again, my 147 hi are superb but I'm kinda feeling to size up but keep the low feel
yes

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2372 on: July 04, 2017, 09:25:16 AM »
Anyone know which risers work best with Aces? Diamond?

How about Ventures?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2373 on: July 04, 2017, 10:02:33 AM »

How about Ventures?
for venture ive run these so i can get them in a right spot. thunder 1/8"

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2374 on: July 04, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »
Expand Quote

How about Ventures?
[close]

I heard those are really brittle, so I dunno if I should look for something else.  :-\

Gotta have those risers with the long slots though for Ventures? Are the holes in the baseplates drilled in such a different position that an Indy riser or similar just wouldn't sit right?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2375 on: July 04, 2017, 11:13:26 AM »
do you want a softer riser or hard ones? Indy risers work in Aces, but I've used bones too, they have the slider instead of the holes.  I have some krooked risers on ventures right now, they fit perfectly and they're kind of soft.
you never know about pre-cum 

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2376 on: July 04, 2017, 11:43:44 AM »
do you want a softer riser or hard ones? Indy risers work in Aces, but I've used bones too, they have the slider instead of the holes.  I have some krooked risers on ventures right now, they fit perfectly and they're kind of soft.

Hard.

I guess Indy risers work in Aces, but the Ace baseplate is smaller than the Indy baseplate so the risers stick out quite a bit more than on Indy. I was thinking if something is a tad bit smaller, so it doesn't stick out so much. I'm afraid the Indy riser would break as it sticks out so much that you can partially see the square holes on the riser as the Ace baseplate doesn't cover it all that well.

As for Ventures, I've never had any but am interested in getting a pair and I have no idea what the baseplate is like. With Thunders the screw holes are more centred right, so you gotta use risers with those long slots to get the riser to align correctly?

I have to order all this shit online, so I'd like to get it right the first time. Would be easy to see what fits in a shop, but sadly I don't have that luxury.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2377 on: July 04, 2017, 11:54:37 AM »
Expand Quote
do you want a softer riser or hard ones? Indy risers work in Aces, but I've used bones too, they have the slider instead of the holes.  I have some krooked risers on ventures right now, they fit perfectly and they're kind of soft.
[close]

Hard.

I guess Indy risers work in Aces, but the Ace baseplate is smaller than the Indy baseplate so the risers stick out quite a bit more than on Indy. I was thinking if something is a tad bit smaller, so it doesn't stick out so much. I'm afraid the Indy riser would break as it sticks out so much that you can partially see the square holes on the riser as the Ace baseplate doesn't cover it all that well.

As for Ventures, I've never had any but am interested in getting a pair and I have no idea what the baseplate is like. With Thunders the screw holes are more centred right, so you gotta use risers with those long slots to get the riser to align correctly?

I have to order all this shit online, so I'd like to get it right the first time. Would be easy to see what fits in a shop, but sadly I don't have that luxury.
The bones 1/8" hard ones worked perfectly, they didn't stick out at all.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2378 on: July 04, 2017, 12:15:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Hard.

[close]
The bones 1/8" hard ones worked perfectly, they didn't stick out at all.

Cool. Thanks for the info. They even seem to have those at the local shop. If they work nicely with Ventures also, I might only have to order the trucks online.  :)

256 Ply

• Rep: 22
« Reply #2379 on: July 04, 2017, 10:26:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

How about Ventures?
[close]

[close]

I heard those are really brittle, so I dunno if I should look for something else.  :-\

Gotta have those risers with the long slots though for Ventures? Are the holes in the baseplates drilled in such a different position that an Indy riser or similar just wouldn't sit right?

You can also get slotted risers from

Bro Style
Pig (1/4" & 1/2" only)
Bones
Krooked

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #2380 on: July 04, 2017, 10:31:48 PM »
Yeah the Thunder risers are the exact size of a Venture base plate.  Bones are the exact size of of everything else.  So you get nothing sticking out with the Bones riser.

Also Shorties makes 1/16" risers (not slotted) so that you can agonize of small differences in height.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2381 on: July 05, 2017, 07:40:41 PM »
Didn't wanna bump the thread related to this, but

These are just painted right?
should strip back with acetone/some solvent pretty easy

Shop is having a close down sale and 144's are going cheap

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2382 on: July 05, 2017, 07:45:59 PM »

Yea, I believe they're anodized, so regular acetone isn't going to work. I stripped an old set of thunders with Easy Off oven cleaner. The metal underneath is not polished, so just be prepared for some super raw trucks.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2383 on: July 05, 2017, 07:59:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yea, I believe they're anodized, so regular acetone isn't going to work. I stripped an old set of thunders with Easy Off oven cleaner. The metal underneath is not polished, so just be prepared for some super raw trucks.

Yeah i saw yours in the " remove paint from trucks" thread, i didnt mind the look. im probably gonna pull the trigger on them

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2384 on: July 05, 2017, 08:02:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah i saw yours in the " remove paint from trucks" thread, i didnt mind the look. im probably gonna pull the trigger on them
Right on, good luck. Make sure you get the yellow can, not the fume free kind. You need alllllll the chemicals.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #2385 on: July 06, 2017, 07:48:44 PM »
Does anybody have any recommendations for after market bushings for aces?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2386 on: July 06, 2017, 08:53:05 PM »

I have Bones medium on top, stock bottom. Works like a charm for me. Full on Bones bushings don't work too well. Ppl here have been raving about Krux bushings on Aces. I tried it and for me it was way too squirrelly. It all depends on what you are looking for in new bushings.

thebacker

« Reply #2387 on: July 06, 2017, 08:57:48 PM »

KRUX KRUX KRUX
it's night and day

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #2388 on: July 06, 2017, 10:07:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

KRUX KRUX KRUX
it's night and day
Krux are amazing, but I found that the stock ace bushings are also amazing once you break them in. It takes long as fuck though.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2389 on: July 06, 2017, 10:27:22 PM »
I was just about to ask the same, decided to give my 44 with those weird .38 nuts a go again and I remembered why I put them away after spending $40 for them, the stock bushings are hard.

Like 94a so I swapped out to bones mediums and the hangar angles back a little taking a tiny bit of height off which I like but I trust you guys on that it probably won't be a good feel so maybe I'll just do the stock no bottom washer,

Also did you guys notice the stock bottom washer seems too small for the barrels? They start to squish out a little just tightened flush

yes

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2390 on: July 06, 2017, 10:54:58 PM »
Ace stock bushings are surprisingly tight at first but get noticeably looser after they break in.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2391 on: July 06, 2017, 11:09:38 PM »
Ace stock bushings are surprisingly tight at first but get noticeably looser after they break in.
Yeah they seem sooo hard and the top bushing seems too tall but after they break in they're just beautiful.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2392 on: July 06, 2017, 11:11:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

KRUX KRUX KRUX
it's night and day

Without a doubt. But, if you can suck it up, ACE bushings are just fine once broken in.

paraquat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 199
« Reply #2393 on: July 07, 2017, 05:02:18 AM »
Gnars for the input. Also, what is the deal with ace pivot cups?? Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 05:05:44 AM by paraquat »

thebacker

« Reply #2394 on: July 07, 2017, 06:54:11 AM »
Gnars for the input. Also, what is the deal with ace pivot cups?? Any suggestions?
theyre VERY squeaky but get the job done. The krux bushings I ordered came with new pivot cups but they seem too big for aces pivot cup.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2395 on: July 07, 2017, 08:50:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
theyre VERY squeaky but get the job done. The krux bushings I ordered came with new pivot cups but they seem too big for aces pivot cup.
Yeah the krux pivots stick out a lot if you slip them in the ace pivot cup hole. On the two sets of Aces I've bought they were fine and didn't squeak at all but I've heard people say they blow out pretty fast. So I went full on nerd mode and bought some rip tide pivot cups for my 66's and 44's. If you like loose trucks and are willing to drop that kind of moneys on pivot cups I think they're totally worth it.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2396 on: July 07, 2017, 09:31:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Yeah the krux pivots stick out a lot if you slip them in the ace pivot cup hole. On the two sets of Aces I've bought they were fine and didn't squeak at all but I've heard people say they blow out pretty fast. So I went full on nerd mode and bought some rip tide pivot cups for my 66's and 44's. If you like loose trucks and are willing to drop that kind of moneys on pivot cups I think they're totally worth it.

Riptides make it all so smooth...I put mine from my indy 44s in my thunder 148s, stock bushings and they feel great...Khiro (small/soft) pivots are also a great choice for ACE.

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2397 on: July 07, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Riptides make it all so smooth...I put mine from my indy 44s in my thunder 148s, stock bushings and they feel great...Khiro (small/soft) pivots are also a great choice for ACE.
They were definitely worth it even though I felt slight shame for spending 15$ on pivot cups.

Doughboy

• Rep: 21
  • Coffee and Advil
« Reply #2398 on: July 07, 2017, 06:55:14 PM »
Last year when I was skating a set of ACE 44 to help break in the stock bushings I replaced the top washer with a small flat washer that came with a set of Bones bushings (pretty sure they have washers that size at the hardware store too for super cheap, doesn't have to be the Bones one). It was a really good ride. The flat washer really opened up the full turning potential of the trucks and the wider range of motion that the thin flat washer provided really helped get some extra carving, cutting down on the break in time of the slightly hard stock bushings. After a few sessions like that I went back to the stock top washer and was good to go. If I skated more transition/bowl I would have probably just left the flat washer in because the turning was amazingly fluid. As far as the pivot cups go, I kept those stock. I always just rub a little bit of bar soap on the hanger pivot nub of all trucks I skate to help with squeaking and I think it makes the turning less sticky with new trucks.

Stock bottom washer/thin flat top washer. Stock ACE bushings.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2399 on: July 08, 2017, 12:40:40 PM »
Just bought a zip zinger nano on ebay for super cheap, what trucks should I get? 129s? 109s? Was thinking about those Thunder 143s as well...