Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220645 times)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2400 on: July 08, 2017, 01:08:35 PM »
Just bought a zip zinger nano on ebay for super cheap, what trucks should I get? 129s? 109s? Was thinking about those Thunder 143s as well...

Purely from an aesthetic perspective, I think the indy 109s look really good. Also zipzinger nanos are only 7.125 at their widest point so are more like 6ish inches near the mounting holes so 109s may make more sense.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2401 on: July 08, 2017, 03:16:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Just bought a zip zinger nano on ebay for super cheap, what trucks should I get? 129s? 109s? Was thinking about those Thunder 143s as well...
[close]

Purely from an aesthetic perspective, I think the indy 109s look really good. Also zipzinger nanos are only 7.125 at their widest point so are more like 6ish inches near the mounting holes so 109s may make more sense.

Def 109 I loved my 109 on my reg zinger, plus that's what the gonz would ride
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2402 on: July 08, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »
Last year when I was skating a set of ACE 44 to help break in the stock bushings I replaced the top washer with a small flat washer that came with a set of Bones bushings (pretty sure they have washers that size at the hardware store too for super cheap, doesn't have to be the Bones one). It was a really good ride. The flat washer really opened up the full turning potential of the trucks and the wider range of motion that the thin flat washer provided really helped get some extra carving, cutting down on the break in time of the slightly hard stock bushings. After a few sessions like that I went back to the stock top washer and was good to go. If I skated more transition/bowl I would have probably just left the flat washer in because the turning was amazingly fluid. As far as the pivot cups go, I kept those stock. I always just rub a little bit of bar soap on the hanger pivot nub of all trucks I skate to help with squeaking and I think it makes the turning less sticky with new trucks.

Stock bottom washer/thin flat top washer. Stock ACE bushings.

Cup washers supposedly restrict bushings deformation, flat washers allow your bushings to deform more.

That said, I don't think for regular skating it means fuck all really, longboards for sure as they all ride much softer/different combinations of duro bushings and few of us 'regular' skaters give a fuck about bushings (bones and good to go right...turn great right? no washers ;).

For those of us that ride really loose tho, you'll see most just ditch washers one way or the other. Since I picked up bones that came with flat washers it's all I use.

Just set these up:

--

« Reply #2403 on: July 08, 2017, 08:59:49 PM »
Cup washers supposedly restrict bushings deformation, flat washers allow your bushings to deform more.

That said, I don't think for regular skating it means fuck all really, longboards for sure as they all ride much softer/different combinations of duro bushings and few of us 'regular' skaters give a fuck about bushings (bones and good to go right...turn great right? no washers ;).

For those of us that ride really loose tho, you'll see most just ditch washers one way or the other. Since I picked up bones that came with flat washers it's all I use.

Just set these up:

Cup washers also protect your bushings from smith grinds.

I'd imagine they'd be ripped without the washer.

Doughboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
  • Coffee and Advil
« Reply #2404 on: July 09, 2017, 11:57:20 PM »
Nice Thunder set up Xen. I bet those trucks got some smooth flow. Rad you're using those flat Bones washers too.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2405 on: July 10, 2017, 03:15:09 PM »
Nice Thunder set up Xen. I bet those trucks got some smooth flow. Rad you're using those flat Bones washers too.

I gave up trying to get thunders to work with other bushings, the thunder bottom w/washer is super tall, the stocks are really the best fit. The bones washers are a hair thinner than the stocks so I can get away with having them loose but still having the kinpin threads in the nylon of the nut; the riptides made a world of difference tho.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2406 on: July 12, 2017, 10:41:01 PM »
I have a serious question, which side of the barrel bushing do you guys have facing the washer and which side facing the hangar?

Cause I would think the flat side with the rings on the surface go against the hangar but in be past I've got a new set of trucks that came with the barrels where the rounded edge smooth side is against the hangar
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:23:55 AM by rob »
yes

--

« Reply #2407 on: July 12, 2017, 11:01:02 PM »
I have a serious question, which side of the barrel bushing do you guys have facing the washer and which side facing the hangar?

Cause I would think the flat side with the rings on the surface go against the hangar but in be past I've got a new set of trucks that came with the barrels where the rounded edge smooth side is against the washer
rings facing hanger because that's how the top bushing is

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #2408 on: July 13, 2017, 02:05:47 PM »
Expand Quote
does anyone else ride their front and back trucks setup exactly the same?
[close]

Right here buddy, I have the truck OCD if my trucks are different tightness it throws me off cause I wanna be able to ride my board frontward or backwards without a problem. Its like this for me since I started where I thought if I learn more tricks and my board is flipping around and spinning back and forth I don't wanna think about how my front trucks looseness is gonna effect me when my board is backwards if I'm in fakie or whatever my mind wants to believe

Same here, I cant deal with trucks that are not exactly the same...

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2409 on: July 13, 2017, 06:56:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
does anyone else ride their front and back trucks setup exactly the same?
[close]

Right here buddy, I have the truck OCD if my trucks are different tightness it throws me off cause I wanna be able to ride my board frontward or backwards without a problem. Its like this for me since I started where I thought if I learn more tricks and my board is flipping around and spinning back and forth I don't wanna think about how my front trucks looseness is gonna effect me when my board is backwards if I'm in fakie or whatever my mind wants to believe
[close]

Same here, I cant deal with trucks that are not exactly the same...

I switched out my modded thunder 149s for some old 5.8 venture v-hollow lights on an Ishod twin tail board and been really enjoying it. Ive pretty much always rode my front truck slightly looser than the back but I'm digging the symetrical feel. I don't know if I'd like it as much with some thunders because it's hard to find that middle ground between stability & turning, but with ventures you can get both trucks loose enough to turn well without getting too wheelbitey

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #2410 on: July 13, 2017, 09:36:19 PM »
Had a nice day of hillbombing thanks to some perfect newly paved roads. My trucks are pretty loose and everything was fine! I'll still probably get some harder bushings eventually, but loose thunders at high speed feel totally safe. There's no reason to tighten up trucks to go fast, it's all in your head, now I just gotta work on my slides.. I was just whipping my back end out quick, wasn't getting proper long slides ???

thebacker

« Reply #2411 on: July 14, 2017, 09:46:39 AM »
Had a nice day of hillbombing thanks to some perfect newly paved roads. My trucks are pretty loose and everything was fine! I'll still probably get some harder bushings eventually, but loose thunders at high speed feel totally safe. There's no reason to tighten up trucks to go fast, it's all in your head, now I just gotta work on my slides.. I was just whipping my back end out quick, wasn't getting proper long slides ???
focus on ur heels when sliding

Zimmer

• Rep: -9
« Reply #2412 on: July 14, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
focus on ur heels when sliding

Yeah that seems to be the ticket.. I was still over on my toes when I'd whip it out, I gotta lean back more.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2413 on: July 14, 2017, 11:00:45 PM »
Hey random question but anyone know if the new royal lows are the same height as the old Royal evos?

Those old classic breaks on the first day 7.6 royals everyone had and skate warehouse had so many they were selling them in bulk for cheap
yes

GOATMOON

• Rep: -1
« Reply #2414 on: July 15, 2017, 12:37:35 AM »

Those old classic breaks on the first day 7.6 royals everyone had and skate warehouse had so many they were selling them in bulk for cheap

What does that even mean  ??? ??? ???

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2415 on: July 15, 2017, 03:15:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Haha yea I'd like to know too. I'm not a native english speaker so I tried to read that sentence so many times  ???
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2416 on: July 15, 2017, 07:55:39 AM »
He's more or less asking the difference between the new royals and the old ones....

They had a sale at skate warehouse where they were like $15 a set or something....

Mongoloid

« Reply #2417 on: July 15, 2017, 08:31:49 AM »
I've finally arrived at what I deem to be my perfect truck set up. It's the only combo I've stuck with for considerable time,  and I find I'm able to keep my flip tricks lofty. The bushings give me the fast turning I need for my weight, and the rebound of the 95a doh doh's is perfect for tricks that require a more pressurized pop.

I'm rocking Ace 03 low's with red doh doh's, and the bottom washer removed. It's a combo that provides stability as well as response.

I still don't get the snappy fast pop I get with Thunder low's, but I also have yet to get axle slip on the current set i'm riding, so it's a fair trade off.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2418 on: July 15, 2017, 10:08:31 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=88869.msg2662373#msg2662373 date=1500113726
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Those old, classic breaks-on-the-first-day 7.6 royals everyone had and skate warehouse had so many they were selling them in bulk for cheap
[close]

[close]
Haha yea I'd like to know too. I'm not a native english speaker so I tried to read that sentence so many times  ???

I added some punctuation. I understood him but I did have to read it twice.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2419 on: July 15, 2017, 06:09:29 PM »
I usually save my punctuation for the end..........

redhatchet

• Rep: 44
« Reply #2420 on: July 15, 2017, 08:08:39 PM »
Question posed to anyone who has skated a plethora of trucks. I've skated indys for probably the last 6-7 years strictly out of habit. I don't fuck with the stock other than loosening the bushings to desire and maybe putting some used bushings in to make that easier. I mainly skate more technical. As in ledges and such. But I do like transition. Is it worth it to switch out from Indy to Thunder? I was looking at the new Thunders that are made for the 8.25 boards. Considering what I want most is a responsive quick flip most of the time

Any input is appreciated. I just bought some new indys a little over a month ago because my shop didn't have the thunders in at the time.
Maybe I'm just so cool I wanna die.

Nora9

• Rep: -81
« Reply #2421 on: July 15, 2017, 08:48:10 PM »
i like to ride my front truck like daewon's and back truck like daewons front truck

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #2422 on: July 15, 2017, 09:06:33 PM »
Question posed to anyone who has skated a plethora of trucks. I've skated indys for probably the last 6-7 years strictly out of habit. I don't fuck with the stock other than loosening the bushings to desire and maybe putting some used bushings in to make that easier. I mainly skate more technical. As in ledges and such. But I do like transition. Is it worth it to switch out from Indy to Thunder? I was looking at the new Thunders that are made for the 8.25 boards. Considering what I want most is a responsive quick flip most of the time

Any input is appreciated. I just bought some new indys a little over a month ago because my shop didn't have the thunders in at the time.

If you want responsiveness then thunder is the way to go. Turns are sharp and fliptricks are quick & snappy

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2423 on: July 15, 2017, 09:28:51 PM »
Recently switched back to Theeve's solely based on the fact that they come with Bones bushings and I didn't have enough money for new bushings if I had gone the Indy route. I forgot how much I loved Theeve's, though. Or maybe I just love Bones bushings. I don't know.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2424 on: July 16, 2017, 12:58:21 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=88869.msg2662373#msg2662373 date=1500113726
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Those old, classic breaks-on-the-first-day 7.6 royals everyone had and skate warehouse had so many they were selling them in bulk for cheap
[close]

[close]
[close]

I added some punctuation. I understood him but I did have to read it twice.

Sorry for the grammar And punctuation problems guys in ever graduated high school cause I'm a rebellious skate dude that was too cool for school.

I was just basically asking if anyone knows if the new Royal lows are basically a remastered Royal evo. Where you at Carroll ??
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2425 on: July 16, 2017, 07:38:59 AM »
Recently switched back to Theeve's solely based on the fact that they come with Bones bushings and I didn't have enough money for new bushings if I had gone the Indy route. I forgot how much I loved Theeve's, though. Or maybe I just love Bones bushings. I don't know.

Oh..oh....they aren't bones bushings....they just look like bones bushings.....truth....

To Indy vs Thunder guy?  I think if you like technical skating....go thunder.....worth a try....

redhatchet

• Rep: 44
« Reply #2426 on: July 16, 2017, 08:19:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh..oh....they aren't bones bushings....they just look like bones bushings.....truth....

To Indy vs Thunder guy?  I think if you like technical skating....go thunder.....worth a try....

Yeah think I'm gonna go by the shop today and pick them up if they are still there. Can't hurt. Will it be weird to use broken in stock Indy bushings in them? I just hate breaking in new stuff.
Maybe I'm just so cool I wanna die.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #2427 on: July 16, 2017, 09:11:18 AM »
Thunders aren't too hard to break in and they work best with their own bushings so I'd just ride them out. If you ride loose they'll be broken in within a session or so.

I'm having truck dilemmas lately tho, I'm literally torn between thunder and venture.  Thunders are a little lighter, turn better, and make quick fliptricks a lot easier but I get a ton of wheelbite due to how I skate & my nose/tailslides are much harder to lock in. Ventures have amazing stability on hard landings and how they're shaped makes it easier to lock into any grinds or slides for me. I'm literally just overall better at grinds & gaps with ventures but I'm noticeably more agile while doing lines or quick, multiple ollies/fliptricks with thunders so it's a toss up. I've flip flopped between the two multiple times just within my last 5-6 sessions. When will the madness end?

Nora9

« Reply #2428 on: July 16, 2017, 11:01:05 AM »
venture on the front thunder on the back

Nora9

« Reply #2429 on: July 16, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »
if u put a riser pad under the back truck only u get more pop cuz its a bit higher