Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221373 times)

Nora9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -81
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2430 on: July 16, 2017, 11:05:15 AM »
u can put 2 or 3 for even more pop but u might need bigger screws

Dr. Octagon

« Reply #2431 on: July 16, 2017, 09:46:55 PM »
back to Independents on all setups after trying thunders again for a short time. the difference in turn/leverage is incomparable.

gumi

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2432 on: July 25, 2017, 05:07:27 AM »
currently on indy 139 titaniums, had em for a while, like em but thinking of buying some venture hollow lights.

worth it? big difference? ive never had ventures before

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2433 on: July 25, 2017, 11:45:18 PM »
currently on indy 139 titaniums, had em for a while, like em but thinking of buying some venture hollow lights.

Indy's turn, Ventures don't. I have 2 homies that skate ventures, every now and then I try their setups and vice versa. I can't turn without tic tac on those things and homies are always getting serious wheelbite on my indys so...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2434 on: July 25, 2017, 11:52:01 PM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=88869.msg2666222#msg2666222 date=1501051518
Expand Quote

[close]
Indy's turn, Ventures don't. I have 2 homies that skate ventures, every now and then I try their setups and vice versa. I can't turn without tic tac on those things and homies are always getting serious wheelbite on my indys so...

Dunno about other sizes or any of the hollow or low trucks but Venture 5.8 IMO turns better than Indy 149. I just got a set and they're amazing trucks. Might even be as good as Ace. Jury's still out on that though. Venture's are way easier to come by in Europe than Aces. I don't think I'll be buying Indy again unless I need something bigger than 8.5". Even though I think Indy trucks are fine, Aces and Ventures seem much better for me at least.  :)

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2435 on: July 26, 2017, 02:56:22 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=88869.msg2666222#msg2666222 date=1501051518
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Dunno about other sizes or any of the hollow or low trucks but Venture 5.8 IMO turns better than Indy 149. I just got a set and they're amazing trucks. Might even be as good as Ace. Jury's still out on that though. Venture's are way easier to come by in Europe than Aces. I don't think I'll be buying Indy again unless I need something bigger than 8.5". Even though I think Indy trucks are fine, Aces and Ventures seem much better for me at least.  :)
Hmm, I might have to test ur board someday when we're at the same spot, i think i know who you are irl. Dunno what's wrong with those Ventures that I have tested because those things just don't turn, could it be that wider Ventures turn different than smaller ones? I skate 139's and I've tested ventures on 8" boards only, I assume they're close to my indys width-wise.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2436 on: July 26, 2017, 03:21:05 AM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=88869.msg2666246#msg2666246 date=1501062982
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Hmm, I might have to test ur board someday when we're at the same spot, i think i know who you are irl. Dunno what's wrong with those Ventures that I have tested because those things just don't turn, could it be that wider Ventures turn different than smaller ones? I skate 139's and I've tested ventures on 8" boards only, I assume they're close to my indys width-wise.

Cool. Sometimes I don't even know who I am myself.  :)

Most likely not gonna skate all that much this summer but who knows, maybe my leg will heal faster than projected. I got a bit carried away buying skate stuff when my leg was more broken and I have 5 different set ups right now cuz of that, so I might not be rolling with the Ventures every time but you're more than welcome to try my set up.  :)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2437 on: July 26, 2017, 04:12:12 AM »
Yeah those venture 5.8 hi are crazy, my friend told me he got new trucks but I had to guess what they were by riding the board and feeling the turn and stuff and surprisingly they turned really well like an Indy 149 but with more stability and I was so surprised to know they wee ventures.

yes

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2438 on: July 26, 2017, 10:03:53 AM »
Loving my venture 5.8's they definitely turn well but their overall stability is why I like them most. Much more forgiving in wheelbite scenarios than thunders or Indy in my experience. I feel like I get away with murder sometimes with my landings after skating thunders for so long

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2439 on: July 26, 2017, 09:32:52 PM »
Thunders aren't too hard to break in and they work best with their own bushings so I'd just ride them out. If you ride loose they'll be broken in within a session or so.

I'm having truck dilemmas lately tho, I'm literally torn between thunder and venture.  Thunders are a little lighter, turn better, and make quick fliptricks a lot easier but I get a ton of wheelbite due to how I skate & my nose/tailslides are much harder to lock in. Ventures have amazing stability on hard landings and how they're shaped makes it easier to lock into any grinds or slides for me. I'm literally just overall better at grinds & gaps with ventures but I'm noticeably more agile while doing lines or quick, multiple ollies/fliptricks with thunders so it's a toss up. I've flip flopped between the two multiple times just within my last 5-6 sessions. When will the madness end?
Are you married to one setup or are you unable to having two in your quiver? I've got five that I ride on the regular depending on what I feel like.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #2440 on: July 27, 2017, 12:40:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Thunders aren't too hard to break in and they work best with their own bushings so I'd just ride them out. If you ride loose they'll be broken in within a session or so.

I'm having truck dilemmas lately tho, I'm literally torn between thunder and venture.  Thunders are a little lighter, turn better, and make quick fliptricks a lot easier but I get a ton of wheelbite due to how I skate & my nose/tailslides are much harder to lock in. Ventures have amazing stability on hard landings and how they're shaped makes it easier to lock into any grinds or slides for me. I'm literally just overall better at grinds & gaps with ventures but I'm noticeably more agile while doing lines or quick, multiple ollies/fliptricks with thunders so it's a toss up. I've flip flopped between the two multiple times just within my last 5-6 sessions. When will the madness end?
[close]
Are you married to one setup or are you unable to having two in your quiver? I've got five that I ride on the regular depending on what I feel like.

Man when I think about it I probably could've been doing this for years but I'm bad enough with one board, I would just be buying shit all the time trying to experiment twice as much as I already do. I think I just like the puzzle of setting up that "perfect board" and maximizing every component, testing things out and adapting my board to how I'm skating at the time.

It does make sense tho, I could see myself skating a "tech" board in the 8.25 range with thunders & 52mm wheels and a gaps/rough spots setup on an 8.38 w/ ventures & 54mm wheels. Maybe one day if I decide to treat myself...

What're the main differences between your 5 setups?

TheBoognish

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #2441 on: July 27, 2017, 12:48:05 PM »
Bit the bullet and went with Krux K4 8.25. To be honest I love these trucks, they broke in immediately. Coming from almost 10 years of loose Indy's, the transition was super easy. Loosened them once and I haven't touched them in almost a month of having them. I was using them to cruise around seeing as I was recovering from an ankle injury, therefore I couldn't do tricks. They feel damn good to cruise around with.

Started doing a few tricks yesterday and I didn't even have to think of my trucks once, which is a good sign.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2442 on: July 27, 2017, 01:15:16 PM »
Bit the bullet and went with Krux K4 8.25. To be honest I love these trucks, they broke in immediately. Coming from almost 10 years of loose Indy's, the transition was super easy. Loosened them once and I haven't touched them in almost a month of having them. I was using them to cruise around seeing as I was recovering from an ankle injury, therefore I couldn't do tricks. They feel damn good to cruise around with.

Started doing a few tricks yesterday and I didn't even have to think of my trucks once, which is a good sign.

I really like Krux, they were super comfortable and turned really well, but fucking marketing and hype is real in the truck game...
you never know about pre-cum 

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1474
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #2443 on: July 27, 2017, 11:21:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Man when I think about it I probably could've been doing this for years but I'm bad enough with one board, I would just be buying shit all the time trying to experiment twice as much as I already do. I think I just like the puzzle of setting up that "perfect board" and maximizing every component, testing things out and adapting my board to how I'm skating at the time.

It does make sense tho, I could see myself skating a "tech" board in the 8.25 range with thunders & 52mm wheels and a gaps/rough spots setup on an 8.38 w/ ventures & 54mm wheels. Maybe one day if I decide to treat myself...

#1 Street
8" Almost
Independents w/krux downlow kingpin (creature 90a independent bushings)
Ricta scorpions 56mm worn down to 52mm
Rock'n Rons Ballistic Missile Bearings
(I actually left this setup in Hawaii and is my designated vacation setup, but I am replacing it with a similar setup)

#2 Street/Park/Bowl
8.25" Blind
Theeves TIAX w/krux downlow kingpin (bones hard bushing)
Bones spf 56mm
Rock'n Rons Ceramic Bearings

#3 Park/Bowl
8.5" Boulevard
Independent w/krux downlow kingpin (bones hard bushing)
Bones spf 54mm

#4 Street/Park
8.4" Flip
Ace w/downlow kingpin (creature 90a independent bushing)
Spitfire Formula Fours 54mm 101a classics worn down to 48mm (soon to be replaced)

#5 Street
8.4" Flip
Mini logo w/grind king kingpins salvaged from a set of grindking AXL trucks (khiro yellow bushings)
Spitfire Formula Fours 55mm 99a classics worn down to 51mm
Rush Ceramic Bearings
Rails

I've actually got more but these are the ones skated most often. When I first started skating a lot when I was 13, my parents tried to limit me by taking my board away on weekdays and giving it back on the weekend. I would just go to the skatepark and ride my friend's boards during the week. Eventually my parents relented and I could skate whenever, but I never forgot the fun of trying/figuring out my friends' boards.

If I stuck with one setup, I'd probably be giving away bits and pieces more often which is what I did before. I only feel like a hoarder if don't actually skate a particular board for a while, and once I do skate it, then I realize why I set it up again.

Some wheels slide better at different spots for different tricks and some trucks let me sit on grinds easier than others. I've learned that for me there isn't a silver bullet setup that will magically make me skate great each time since I've had some of my best sessions skating some of the most questionable setups. Also, I hate stepping on a board and realizing the bearings are sluggish and need cleaning, hardware is loose and I forgot my skate tool, or some other thing feels off and trying to power through/having fun despite it. So much easier to just pull another one from the trunk and feel like that one is better and move forward especially if I already drove 30 minutes to skate somewhere. Hell, when I used to stick to one setup, I found myself skating the Upland skatepark full pipe with a set of skinny ass gold wheels and almost dying. Never again.

Skateboarding is my luxury so I don't feel bad having such a big quiver since other dudes in middle age waste their money on cars or some other much more expensive hobby. This shit is peanuts compared to that.

By the way, if I was trying to move hard goods, I'd be trying to convince kids to buy more than one setup. Like, you can get by with one, but if you had two...

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2444 on: July 28, 2017, 12:30:02 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I really like Krux, they were super comfortable and turned really well, but fucking marketing and hype is real in the truck game...

Man, this truck thing is super weird. I had a set of 8.25" Krux and I fucking hated them. IMO they do not turn, very deep at least. Glad I was able to sell them. And then people say that Venture don't turn and my view is the opposite. There must be something more to it. It shouldn't really be subjective if a truck turns or not but it sure seems like it.  :)

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #2445 on: July 28, 2017, 07:05:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Man, this truck thing is super weird. I had a set of 8.25" Krux and I fucking hated them. IMO they do not turn, very deep at least. Glad I was able to sell them. And then people say that Venture don't turn and my view is the opposite. There must be something more to it. It shouldn't really be subjective if a truck turns or not but it sure seems like it.  :)
It just depends on what kind of turn you like I suppose. Krux turn smooth they just don't turn deep. Thunders turn well as you can get a very quick turn. I haven't rode Ventures or Indys in fucking years so I can't comment on those. And then we've all heard  about how Ace turn so smooth, beautiful and deep.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #2446 on: July 28, 2017, 08:35:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I'm having truck dilemmas lately tho, I'm literally torn between thunder and venture.� Thunders are a little lighter, turn better, and make quick fliptricks a lot easier but I get a ton of wheelbite due to how I skate & my nose/tailslides are much harder to lock in. Ventures have amazing stability on hard landings and how they're shaped makes it easier to lock into any grinds or slides for me. I'm literally just overall better at grinds & gaps with ventures but I'm noticeably more agile while doing lines or quick, multiple ollies/fliptricks with thunders so it's a toss up. I've flip flopped between the two multiple times just within my last 5-6 sessions. When will the madness end?
[close]
[close]

[close]

#1 Street
8" Almost
Independents w/krux downlow kingpin (creature 90a independent bushings)
Ricta scorpions 56mm worn down to 52mm
Rock'n Rons Ballistic Missile Bearings
(I actually left this setup in Hawaii and is my designated vacation setup, but I am replacing it with a similar setup)

#2 Street/Park/Bowl
8.25" Blind
Theeves TIAX w/krux downlow kingpin (bones hard bushing)
Bones spf 56mm

#3 Park/Bowl
8.5" Boulevard
Independent w/krux downlow kingpin (bones hard bushing)
Bones spf 54mm

#4 Street/Park
8.4" Flip
Ace w/downlow kingpin (creature 90a independent bushing)
Spitfire Formula Fours 54mm 101a classics worn down to 48mm (soon to be replaced)

#5 Street
8.4" Flip
Mini logo w/grind king kingpins salvaged from a set of grindking AXL trucks (khiro yellow bushings)
Spitfire Formula Fours 55mm 99a classics worn down to 51mm
Rush Ceramic Bearings
Rails

I've actually got more but these are the ones skated most often. When I first started skating a lot when I was 13, my parents tried to limit me by taking my board away on weekdays and giving it back on the weekend. I would just go to the skatepark and ride my friend's boards during the week. Eventually my parents relented and I could skate whenever, but I never forgot the fun of trying/figuring out my friends' boards.

If I stuck with one setup, I'd probably be giving away bits and pieces more often which is what I did before. I only feel like a hoarder if don't actually skate a particular board for a while, and once I do skate it, then I realize why I set it up again.

Some wheels slide better at different spots for different tricks and some trucks let me sit on grinds easier than others. I've learned that for me there isn't a silver bullet setup that will magically make me skate great each time since I've had some of my best sessions skating some of the most questionable setups. Also, I hate stepping on a board and realizing the bearings are sluggish and need cleaning, hardware is loose and I forgot my skate tool, or some other thing feels off and trying to power through/having fun despite it. So much easier to just pull another one from the trunk and feel like that one is better and move forward especially if I already drove 30 minutes to skate somewhere. Hell, when I used to stick to one setup, I found myself skating the Upland skatepark full pipe with a set of skinny ass gold wheels and almost dying. Never again.

Skateboarding is my luxury so I don't feel bad having such a big quiver since other dudes in middle age waste their money on cars or some other much more expensive hobby. This shit is peanuts compared to that.

By the way, if I was trying to move hard goods, I'd be trying to convince kids to buy more than one setup. Like, you can get by with one, but if you had two...

Hell yeah dude that's tight! I saw you talking about those Rock'n Ron's bearings in another thread and I'm actually pretty interested in trying those out too. Next time he has them in stock I might just get some & set up a second board with all my other parts laying around

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2447 on: July 30, 2017, 01:40:15 AM »
Does anyone have a link to the other photo of the new thunder specials for ishpd with the new base plates? I've seen the one on frank gerwers board but not the second, are the new baseplates gonna look like the royal iv baseplates
yes

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #2448 on: July 31, 2017, 09:25:10 AM »
I hope they are extending the part you slide on.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #2449 on: July 31, 2017, 03:24:40 PM »
Does anyone have a link to the other photo of the new thunder specials for ishpd with the new base plates? I've seen the one on frank gerwers board but not the second, are the new baseplates gonna look like the royal iv baseplates
i want to see these. wheres the gerwer pic?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2450 on: July 31, 2017, 03:44:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's on Gabe morfords(@morfordrmedia I think it was) instagram if gerwer holding his board up showing off some super flat spotted spitfires but if you look at the thunder baseplates they're shaped like Royal IV baseplates
yes

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #2451 on: July 31, 2017, 04:07:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

It's on Gabe morfords(@morfordrmedia I think it was) instagram if gerwer holding his board up showing off some super flat spotted spitfires but if you look at the thunder baseplates they're shaped like Royal IV baseplates

This the pic?

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2452 on: July 31, 2017, 04:39:56 PM »
New Deluxe stuff is hitting shops this week, so are we going to see these trucks or what?

Also, what's up with the hollow 5.8s? they're impossible to find.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2453 on: July 31, 2017, 05:05:52 PM »
New Deluxe stuff is hitting shops this week, so are we going to see these trucks or what?

I actually emailed Reed about this last week and he said that they weren't in production yet.  I could've sworn I saw something about them coming out sooner, but no dice.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2454 on: July 31, 2017, 06:01:21 PM »

5.8 Hollows have been MIA for years, sucks - I dropped down to 8"s just to try out hollow V lights.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #2455 on: July 31, 2017, 06:17:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

5.8 Hollows have been MIA for years, sucks - I dropped down to 8"s just to try out hollow V lights.

I got my 5.8 v-hollow's from when P.Rod first got on venture a few years back and even then those were very hard to find. I think they might've been the only ones they made, as they're P.Rod pro models. I bought mine off some obscure online skate stuff after a while of searching on the web, and even then they were the last pair in stock. I think now they only make team hollows.

I really hope they eventually get some titanium axles in the lineup at some point tho

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2456 on: July 31, 2017, 06:20:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I got my 5.8 v-hollow's from when P.Rod first got on venture a few years back and even then those were very hard to find. I think they might've been the only ones they made, as they're P.Rod pro models. I bought mine off some obscure online skate stuff after a while of searching on the web, and even then they were the last pair in stock. I think now they only make team hollows.

I really hope they eventually get some titanium axles in the lineup at some point tho
Titanium 5.5's, get on it Lenny.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2457 on: July 31, 2017, 08:39:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Doubt there is any real demand for 8.5 Ventures, most would go to Indy, then Thunder for that, Venture's marketing is 8" or below; they make what sells.

Diocletian

« Reply #2458 on: August 01, 2017, 05:33:31 PM »
Good day fellow truck enthusiasts. So within one week I've broken two front baseplates on my Ace 55's at the side of the pivot hole. I did it doing slappies, which I recently started getting the hang of but sometimes I bash into the side of the curb with mainly my axle on accident which has resulted in the broken plates. Is this normal for Indy's to have this issue? I've never done slappies besides on these Ace trucks and am wondering if it's because of the cheap Chinese aluminum that makes them prone to such easy breakage. These are the newer design, too... I just don't wanna go back to Indy but I will if it means not breaking them from doing a simple slappy.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2459 on: August 02, 2017, 09:48:55 AM »
Good day fellow truck enthusiasts. So within one week I've broken two front baseplates on my Ace 55's at the side of the pivot hole. I did it doing slappies, which I recently started getting the hang of but sometimes I bash into the side of the curb with mainly my axle on accident which has resulted in the broken plates. Is this normal for Indy's to have this issue? I've never done slappies besides on these Ace trucks and am wondering if it's because of the cheap Chinese aluminum that makes them prone to such easy breakage. These are the newer design, too... I just don't wanna go back to Indy but I will if it means not breaking them from doing a simple slappy.

That sucks,I'd reach out to ACE via FB and see if they can send you newplates...two in one week sounds a bit odd tho.

Slappies? Get yourself some Krux (...still Chinese aluminum) they are THE slappie truck, amazing for slappies; or, just go back to indy or thunder if you are slapping only.