Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220686 times)

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2460 on: August 02, 2017, 10:16:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Good day fellow truck enthusiasts. So within one week I've broken two front baseplates on my Ace 55's at the side of the pivot hole. I did it doing slappies, which I recently started getting the hang of but sometimes I bash into the side of the curb with mainly my axle on accident which has resulted in the broken plates. Is this normal for Indy's to have this issue? I've never done slappies besides on these Ace trucks and am wondering if it's because of the cheap Chinese aluminum that makes them prone to such easy breakage. These are the newer design, too... I just don't wanna go back to Indy but I will if it means not breaking them from doing a simple slappy.
[close]

That sucks,I'd reach out to ACE via FB and see if they can send you newplates...two in one week sounds a bit odd tho.

Slappies? Get yourself some Krux (...still Chinese aluminum) they are THE slappie truck, amazing for slappies; or, just go back to indy or thunder if you are slapping only.
How are krux "the slappies Trucks?"
you never know about pre-cum 

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2461 on: August 02, 2017, 12:24:27 PM »
hardly art, hardly starving

VCR

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 193
« Reply #2462 on: August 02, 2017, 12:51:58 PM »
wish i could slappy, that looked fun

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #2463 on: August 02, 2017, 04:26:21 PM »
Skate Wharehouse is listing Bones Hardcore Barrel bushings now

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Bones_Hardcore_Barrel_Bushings/descpage-BSHCBBU.html

85a, 88a, 90a, 93a

http://skatehardcore.com/
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 05:13:20 PM by full of jerks »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2464 on: August 02, 2017, 07:59:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Good day fellow truck enthusiasts. So within one week I've broken two front baseplates on my Ace 55's at the side of the pivot hole. I did it doing slappies, which I recently started getting the hang of but sometimes I bash into the side of the curb with mainly my axle on accident which has resulted in the broken plates. Is this normal for Indy's to have this issue? I've never done slappies besides on these Ace trucks and am wondering if it's because of the cheap Chinese aluminum that makes them prone to such easy breakage. These are the newer design, too... I just don't wanna go back to Indy but I will if it means not breaking them from doing a simple slappy.
[close]

That sucks,I'd reach out to ACE via FB and see if they can send you newplates...two in one week sounds a bit odd tho.

Slappies? Get yourself some Krux (...still Chinese aluminum) they are THE slappie truck, amazing for slappies; or, just go back to indy or thunder if you are slapping only.
[close]
How are krux "the slappies Trucks?"

They grind easier (to me and a few others)

--

« Reply #2465 on: August 02, 2017, 09:12:06 PM »
i recently figured out frontside slappies. approach the curb at a 45 degree angle with your weight on your heels. ride into it and your front truck should lock in like a front crook, but not all the way on top. do this a few times to get the hang of it. when you're ready, go fast and do the same thing then immediately do this thing that i can only describe as a frontside powerslide, but not really. that should slap your back truck on and you can ollie or just ride out. people say it's all in your front foot but i've noticed it to be a transfer of weight from the front to back. another trick i can compare the feeling to is a front smith because of the way you jam your back trucks in, if that helps. it's kind of like learning how to ollie when you had to get the timing of the pop and slide. with the slappy once you get the front truck on the back truck goes right after. it's two steps almost simultaneously and you can either be a natural or practice until you get it right. i still can't do backsides, though

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2466 on: August 02, 2017, 10:03:38 PM »
Skate Wharehouse is listing Bones Hardcore Barrel bushings now

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Bones_Hardcore_Barrel_Bushings/descpage-BSHCBBU.html

85a, 88a, 90a, 93a

http://skatehardcore.com/

Those look like longboard bushings to me

Will fit ALL Longboard trucks that use standard bushings

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2467 on: August 02, 2017, 10:40:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i recently figured out frontside slappies. approach the curb at a 45 degree angle with your weight on your heels. ride into it and your front truck should lock in like a front crook, but not all the way on top. do this a few times to get the hang of it. when you're ready, go fast and do the same thing then immediately do this thing that i can only describe as a frontside powerslide, but not really. that should slap your back truck on and you can ollie or just ride out. people say it's all in your front foot but i've noticed it to be a transfer of weight from the front to back. another trick i can compare the feeling to is a front smith because of the way you jam your back trucks in, if that helps. it's kind of like learning how to ollie when you had to get the timing of the pop and slide. with the slappy once you get the front truck on the back truck goes right after. it's two steps almost simultaneously and you can either be a natural or practice until you get it right. i still can't do backsides, though
nice description, I'm really keen to learn both at the moment. With backsides I can get my front truck on every time but my back truck won't pop up so I'm wondering if it's the turn I'm using because it has this little lip sticking out on it? Then again if the lip was the problem why would my front truck get up there every time?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2468 on: August 03, 2017, 07:54:11 AM »
I went from the lifting front truck...then back truck....to learning not to........I have since lost all of it.....

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #2469 on: August 03, 2017, 08:02:37 AM »
I learned to slappy one night by just slamming into curbs full speed and shifting my weight back a bit to not pitch forward

coming at like 45-60* angle and slashing at the curb like's it's coping on top of tiny tranny is the best way to describe it

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #2470 on: August 03, 2017, 08:12:23 AM »
I learned to slappy one night by just slamming into curbs full speed and shifting my weight back a bit to not pitch forward

coming at like 45-60* angle and slashing at the curb like's it's coping on top of tiny tranny is the best way to describe it

Very good way to describe it. Some curbs are just a bitch to get though. You've got those ones that are an acute angle instead of right angles and they fucking suck.

Rick Sanchez

« Reply #2471 on: August 03, 2017, 08:52:31 AM »
pulled the trigger and copped these as ive never had ventures but will most likely send them back and stay on indys.. sigh..

https://www.skatedeluxe.com/en/venture-trucks-color-wings-2-high-5-25-truck-red_p109841

Diocletian

« Reply #2472 on: August 03, 2017, 02:25:55 PM »
Slappys for me are basically just busting into the curb while already slightly turning your body before you smash it. Leaning back and to the left for frontside and down right for backside. I just go fast and most of the time it works out. Super bummed I'm leaving Ace but two baseplates in a week is unacceptable.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #2473 on: August 03, 2017, 03:17:55 PM »
can someone kick me some advice? i recently switched to indys after riding ventures. i ride a 8.25 and i am noticing my board goes primo a lot more since i've changed trucks. im riding indy 149's at the moment. my venture's were 5.25. am i riding the right size trucks for my board?
even the steven

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2474 on: August 03, 2017, 07:59:24 PM »
can someone kick me some advice? i recently switched to indys after riding ventures. i ride a 8.25 and i am noticing my board goes primo a lot more since i've changed trucks. im riding indy 149's at the moment. my venture's were 5.25. am i riding the right size trucks for my board?

Venture 5.2 are an 8" truck. 149s are 8.5". Unless you meant that you were on Venture 5.8s (their 8.5" truck), you are riding a bigger truck than you were before and it will behave differently in relation to the width of your deck.

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2475 on: August 03, 2017, 08:10:39 PM »

Yeah, that 60* angle might seem a little too heavy at first, but it def help getting the back truck to roll up the edge of the curb. Its def the best way for a taller curb,  for me anyways. I always trip on how lots of guys can do a more parallel approach.

Expand Quote
[close]

With the Aces, I know the pivot cup bushings will blow out pretty quickly. So if there is a little slop with the pivot, that will easily snap either the pivot nipple on the hanger, or the hole in the baseplate. But breaking 2 in a week is def something Id contact Ace about. Even if your bummed on the Aces from here on out, Im sure they'll still send you something which you'll be able to trade or kick down.  As far as the Krux, Ive never rode them, but I am willing to try their king pin and bushings mod on my Ace 44s and 55s.

Diocletian

« Reply #2476 on: August 03, 2017, 09:07:07 PM »
Yeah, I emailed Ace about it. My pivot cups weren't stock either, they were the riptide custom ones that cost me nearly $15 and the first time the pivot hole started getting warped on the actual baseplate and it ripped through the urethane. Riptide was kind enough to send me a pair under warranty, they have amazing customer service and are super friendly, so I highly recommend those pivot cups. But yeah, as far as Ace goes...I'm bummed on walking away from them. If they end up making it right and I get a set that doesn't break I'll change my mind but I'm not getting my hopes up too much. The replacements will still be the same old recycled Chinese aluminum.

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2477 on: August 03, 2017, 09:50:38 PM »
Yeah, I emailed Ace about it. My pivot cups weren't stock either, they were the riptide custom ones that cost me nearly $15 and the first time the pivot hole started getting warped on the actual baseplate and it ripped through the urethane. Riptide was kind enough to send me a pair under warranty, they have amazing customer service and are super friendly, so I highly recommend those pivot cups. But yeah, as far as Ace goes...I'm bummed on walking away from them. If they end up making it right and I get a set that doesn't break I'll change my mind but I'm not getting my hopes up too much. The replacements will still be the same old recycled Chinese aluminum.

Bummer. I really liked both of my Aces, 44 & 55 set ups.  The 44's are a bit older and will prob be snapping the hanger soon. Ive replaced the pivot bushings twice now, but not sure what kind of cups they are.
This is what it looked like before the first replacement. I slappy pretty much all my street skating sessions these days. Im 45 years old, and its pretty much the only street trick i have left.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #2478 on: August 03, 2017, 10:29:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Skate Wharehouse is listing Bones Hardcore Barrel bushings now...[/url]
[close]

Those look like longboard bushings to me

Expand Quote
Will fit ALL Longboard trucks that use standard bushings
[close]

From the blurb on Skate Warehouse

"Will fit ALL Longboard trucks that use standard bushings, or Tall bushing trucks when using a shim. Great for Aera, Paris, Caliber, Randal, etc. "

They could mean standard longboard bushing as opposed to tall longboard bushing.  I don't know.  I'll probably buy a pair just to check em out.

Most of the sites that are listing these are longboard sites. 

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2479 on: August 03, 2017, 11:18:01 PM »
bending your knees a lot and getting your legs really relaxed before hitting the curb helps with slappies. when I first started learning them I went at the curb at almost 90 degrees and tried slashing it really fast by leaning back, putting my weight on my heels to make the curb side of the board tilt upward, and turning sharply so I would come back almost in the same direction I came from.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• evensteven
« Reply #2480 on: August 04, 2017, 12:00:12 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Venture 5.2 are an 8" truck. 149s are 8.5". Unless you meant that you were on Venture 5.8s (their 8.5" truck), you are riding a bigger truck than you were before and it will behave differently in relation to the width of your deck.

I mean the 5.2. the indys are really wide which i liked initially but i could swear its throwing off my flip tricks. thank you
even the steven

Pigeon

« Reply #2481 on: August 04, 2017, 12:18:10 AM »
I like Independence trucks.

Diocletian

« Reply #2482 on: August 04, 2017, 08:48:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bummer. I really liked both of my Aces, 44 & 55 set ups.  The 44's are a bit older and will prob be snapping the hanger soon. Ive replaced the pivot bushings twice now, but not sure what kind of cups they are.
This is what it looked like before the first replacement. I slappy pretty much all my street skating sessions these days. Im 45 years old, and its pretty much the only street trick i have left.

Damn that pivot got fucked up. Yeah, I got a generic ass response from Ace. Heading to the shop to buy some regular 149 Indy's and staying with them from now on.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #2483 on: August 04, 2017, 05:58:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I mean the 5.2. the indys are really wide which i liked initially but i could swear its throwing off my flip tricks. thank you

Different symmetry. I went from Indys to Thunders and had to re-adjust to the new manual spot and trick timing. Then switched to Ventures and had the same situation and my pop definitely changed and had to loosen them beyond stock to turn better. I don't have that much experience or board control and I felt the difference. So there is a difference in your trucks.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Marsellus Wallace

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2484 on: August 05, 2017, 05:40:27 AM »
Has anyone tried Krux K4?s with the red 88a Indy Bushings? I ride my Krux with some Bones Medium and it feels ok, but i think it could be better.
also: what are the differences between the cylinder and conical indy bushings in boardfeel?

thebacker

« Reply #2485 on: August 05, 2017, 08:59:14 AM »
Has anyone tried Krux K4?s with the red 88a Indy Bushings? I ride my Krux with some Bones Medium and it feels ok, but i think it could be better.
also: what are the differences between the cylinder and conical indy bushings in boardfeel?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2486 on: August 05, 2017, 12:27:26 PM »
I'm currently riding a pair of Krux 4.5 (8.25) trucks with the orange barrel indy bushings 92a. With the conical you get a quicker response but you also loose stability. I feel that the barrel is a lot more balanced/stable and still offers a good performance all arround.

Krux is a good truck for a good price and they feel really well built. They are super responsive and turn nicelly but its on the deep carves that they fail. I barrely get any wheelbite, which is good, but sometimes I loose my balance in the deep sharp turns that I used to do with my previous indys and I miss that.

I'm planning to get a pair of indy's 144 forged hollow when I get my next paycheck and maybe build a cruiser with the krux.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• evensteven
« Reply #2487 on: August 05, 2017, 02:32:45 PM »
someone at the park last night just told me about thunder 148s. has anyone skated these? and are they high mid or low?
even the steven

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2488 on: August 05, 2017, 03:13:44 PM »
how are ventures compared to thunders?

ferraveemo

• Rep: 23
« Reply #2489 on: August 05, 2017, 04:34:37 PM »

I've always had this issue but more likely with the 44's. Also purchased those RipTide Pivot Cups(technically they're bushings too) and they lasted much longer, about a week or so compare to a couple of days as opposed to DLX and Indy Cups(Bushings). The 55's however takes awhile for the stock Pivot Cup Bushings to blowout. Once you've warp that pivot hole on the baseplate. any other pivot cup you put in will be rendered useless and will blow out just as easily. I really love the Ace's turn and feel but if they managed to fix the bending issue on the hanger, pretty sure can work on either getting forged baseplate or a harder duro for their stock pivot bushings than the current duro they're using right now.

Been going back and fort with Ace's and Venture's since they're the same width as far as hanger goes. Venture's are far more stable but feel's lower than Ace. Way more durable too since the pivot cups don't blow out at all. buuuttt the hanger gets worn down just as quick as Ace. The only thing that Venture really bugs me is that it has this Transformer's look to it and i can't shake it off. They're such good trucks, Ace has a nicer look to it which is probably way nicer than any other trucks on the market right now. Feels and Turns great but far from durable.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:04:30 AM by ferraveemo »