Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220583 times)

full of jerks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -33
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2550 on: August 26, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »
... cause I feel you can skate stock bushings on any trucks with any tightness it's just aftermarkets are more suited for your preference is all(I like tighter trucks so harder duro is gonna work better than having a medium and cranking it ...

This is from Andrew Reynolds' Instagram feed recently

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #2551 on: August 26, 2017, 09:19:28 PM »
Expand Quote
... cause I feel you can skate stock bushings on any trucks with any tightness it's just aftermarkets are more suited for your preference is all(I like tighter trucks so harder duro is gonna work better than having a medium and cranking it ...
[close]

Does this mean that reynolds is potentially cranking?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2552 on: August 27, 2017, 07:31:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

He's clearly shaving, not cranking.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2553 on: August 27, 2017, 01:04:16 PM »
So I just got done skating Thunder titanium 149's with 1/8" Thunder risers underneath. For being 210lbs I didn't get the wheelbite I thought I would, probably because I'm using the hard conical aftermarket Indy bushings in them. I had to take the top washer off to get them to turn though, and even then it really didn't feel much quicker than Indy at all. Also, for being the same type of aluminum as Indy and Venture, the grinds were ridiculously sticky on these trucks. My Indy titaniums grind smooth and never stick. I feel like I've hit a wall with truck nerdery now and it bums me out. Nothing can turn as good as Ace yet have the durability of a forged baseplate. I don't know where to turn and I need the support of you fellow truck addicts.

It's been at least a couple weeks so.......

Theeve? 

I think Indy is the correct answer and nothing will ever turn like an Ace....Indy is the next best thing and they don't make your wheelbase shorter.....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2554 on: August 27, 2017, 01:35:29 PM »
Expand Quote
So I just got done skating Thunder titanium 149's with 1/8" Thunder risers underneath. For being 210lbs I didn't get the wheelbite I thought I would, probably because I'm using the hard conical aftermarket Indy bushings in them. I had to take the top washer off to get them to turn though, and even then it really didn't feel much quicker than Indy at all. Also, for being the same type of aluminum as Indy and Venture, the grinds were ridiculously sticky on these trucks. My Indy titaniums grind smooth and never stick. I feel like I've hit a wall with truck nerdery now and it bums me out. Nothing can turn as good as Ace yet have the durability of a forged baseplate. I don't know where to turn and I need the support of you fellow truck addicts.
[close]

It's been at least a couple weeks so.......

Theeve? 

I think Indy is the correct answer and nothing will ever turn like an Ace....Indy is the next best thing and they don't make your wheelbase shorter.....

Theeve are cast and they never came out with the forged plate they were going to make; I still preferred the V2 design, hanger looked like ACE and I swear they turned better than the Theeve V3.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2555 on: August 27, 2017, 06:09:16 PM »
Yeah I was just thinking how they turned....I skate old tih's and they are all slimmed down like aces...I like how they turn....a little nuts but not ACE nuts....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2556 on: August 27, 2017, 06:22:09 PM »
Yeah I was just thinking how they turned....I skate old tih's and they are all slimmed down like aces...I like how they turn....a little nuts but not ACE nuts....

Makes me think of the old insta pic from waaaaaaay back when theeve was running ACE plates on early prototypes ;P

I just sold off my 8.18" tihs (got them on sale at about half off and sold them above retail on ebay) and they definitely turned better that the last pair of TiKings I had (which I could never get turny enough).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 06:30:39 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2557 on: August 27, 2017, 10:32:20 PM »
Don't put it past me to get some magnesium ace baseplates....could be a big improvement...

Master of slams

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2558 on: August 27, 2017, 11:02:30 PM »
Life is Hard after riding Ace 44s and having to revert back to indys. Any suggestions for bushings on indy 149s? I tried aftermarket indys, but they kinda sucked or I just wasn't patient enough. Bones mediums turn nice, but they crumble in a week or so (I weight close to 220lbs/100kg)...
I spend too much money on gear I don't need

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2559 on: August 28, 2017, 04:54:58 AM »
Don't put it past me to get some magnesium ace baseplates....could be a big improvement...

This combo ruined my life. I've tried to go back to indys after because I've always considered myself an Indy guy, but goddamn the ace 44 with magplates is near perfect.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2560 on: August 28, 2017, 10:27:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This combo ruined my life. I've tried to go back to indys after because I've always considered myself an Indy guy, but goddamn the ace 44 with magplates is near perfect.

I'm a weight whore, ACE cast plates are not the end of the world tho!

That said, it is a shame ACE won't make them anymore but I get it, they're too small of a company with an even smaller userbase to warrant making tiaxle, hollow king pins and forged/mag plates. =( If only!

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2561 on: August 28, 2017, 12:37:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That said, it is a shame ACE won't make them anymore but I get it, they're too small of a company with an even smaller userbase to warrant making tiaxle, hollow king pins and forged/mag plates. =( If only!

I don't really fuck with the hollow stuff anyway and the weight isn't really a big concern of mine. I just like it for the aesthetic, the nice matte black finish and just knowing it's there really...

It's like wearing a nice watch or something but for your setup, it doesn't really make that much of a difference but you feel good about it anyway. I'm trying to get ahold of another set.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2562 on: August 28, 2017, 04:24:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I don't really fuck with the hollow stuff anyway and the weight isn't really a big concern of mine. I just like it for the aesthetic, the nice matte black finish and just knowing it's there really...

It's like wearing a nice watch or something but for your setup, it doesn't really make that much of a difference but you feel good about it anyway. I'm trying to get ahold of another set.

My set are getting pretty beat up (park only and mainly bowls) - I'd love another set.

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2563 on: August 28, 2017, 06:04:05 PM »
Hey I don't know how as they were supposed to be history, but it seems native skate store has a few pairs of ace mag plates in.
Well the bad news is they are in the UK.
Anyway someone buy them all so I don't have to : it's really tempting but I can't justify paying that much to shave a few grams... or can I?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2564 on: August 28, 2017, 08:09:01 PM »
Hey I don't know how as they were supposed to be history, but it seems native skate store has a few pairs of ace mag plates in.
Anyway someone buy them all so I don't have to : it's really tempting but I can't justify paying that much to shave a few grams... or can I?

Not at $46.53 (including shipping to the US) you can't...well....maybe you can ;)

Diocletian

« Reply #2565 on: August 29, 2017, 09:58:12 PM »
I set up my extra set of stage 7's with krux pins and I'm gonna ride these out till I reach the axle. One truck is like 4-5mm wider on the hanger than the other one I noticed. What would you guys do? Put the wider one up front since the nose is bigger? What would SLAP pals do?

Pigeon

« Reply #2566 on: August 29, 2017, 10:03:38 PM »
I set up my extra set of stage 7's with krux pins and I'm gonna ride these out till I reach the axle. One truck is like 4-5mm wider on the hanger than the other one I noticed. What would you guys do? Put the wider one up front since the nose is bigger? What would SLAP pals do?
wider one on the front bolts...you lucky bastard.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #2567 on: August 30, 2017, 01:26:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
wider one on the front bolts...you lucky bastard.

ha there was someone on here selling a lotta sets of the stage 7s and 8s
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Diocletian

« Reply #2568 on: August 30, 2017, 08:17:25 AM »
^ yeah I bought two out of four sets of stage 7's from him. He was a super nice dude and hooked it up with all sorts of pivot cups and bushings as well.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2569 on: August 30, 2017, 08:20:24 AM »
Aren't they commonly narrow sizes though? 

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #2570 on: August 30, 2017, 04:50:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
At least you aren't here...

never seen that combo before. i wanted thunder base plates with venture hangers, never did it though.

Diocletian

« Reply #2571 on: August 30, 2017, 07:03:44 PM »
Aren't they commonly narrow sizes though? 

136, 146, and onward. Just a few mm less than newer stages.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2572 on: August 31, 2017, 06:55:39 PM »
As much as I love my unicorn Ventures I finally got the chance to skate some Theeves again. A couple weeks ago I ordered some 5.85 Tiax's that were on sale with the intention of upgrading them, but i broke the baseplate trying to install their hollow titanium kingpin so I had to have them send me some pre-installed replacements. Took a while to get to me but I got my TiKings now and am stoked to try them out. Gonna go work on some grinds all morning tomorrow. I'm hoping these are like a sweet spot between the sharp turning & pop of Thunders with the stability & grindability of Ventures.

oneOone

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2573 on: September 01, 2017, 07:49:07 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
At least you aren't here...

Haha did the same, but with Bones Bushings it seems the bottom one did not fit 100%, never skated it.

Tried Venture V-Hollow Lighs Low 5,25 (48MM height) vs. Thunder Titanium 147 HI (50MM height) on the same Deck skating flat. The Venture Hangar is shifted a little bit more to the Nose/Tail and extends the wheelbase minimal.
I skated the Thunders for almost 3 years prior.
I noticed nearly no difference. Stability wise it felt a little bit more comfortable on the Ventures but with the Thunders I felt the pop was snappier and it flipped a little bit easier, could be the weight, Ventures are about 0,10lbs (45G) heavier each truck.
Switched back to the Thunders for now but might skate the Ventures anytime soon.

Only strange thing when I switched back to Thunders I had troubles doing Frontside Flips at first which worked perfect on the Ventures.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2574 on: September 01, 2017, 08:05:43 AM »
Anyone have that link for that slightly shady website that sells spare truck parts? Have seen it here somewhere but cannot find it anymore...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

gumi

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2575 on: September 03, 2017, 04:58:19 AM »

Thanks man I live in England and have been waiting to get so magnesiums forever, G shit

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #2576 on: September 04, 2017, 08:16:40 AM »
new deck comes in tomorrow thought i'd clean my trucks up a bit and realised i have a crack in the fucking hanger, just normal thunder 149 hi team trucks.

cant tell if it's just a surface crack or if shits fucked, still gonna ride it till it falls off cus it couldve been like that for months and i'd have no idea. kinda surprised it's on the front since the only front grinds i can do are nosegrinds and shoddy crooks, was expecting it to eventually give out on the back truck tranny groove.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2577 on: September 04, 2017, 03:44:25 PM »
Two 3-4 hour sessions in, and I've really been digging my Theeve's so far. I've gotten a couple personal NBD's each session (mostly grinds) and since I already kind of broke in the bushings before skating them, they were good to go from the jump. They've got that sharp turning & quick pop I like but still have excellent stability on hard landings and the oval yolk minimizes wheelbite by tucking the wheels inward to avoid the deck. Grind like a beast too. They really gotta step up their marketing game & maybe add some fresh faces to the team or something because they deserve to be a lot more popular than they currently are IMO.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #2578 on: September 04, 2017, 09:22:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Isn's Reynolds known for having super tight trucks?

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #2579 on: September 04, 2017, 10:08:24 PM »
Anyone know how I can get more of the white thunder bushings?