Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220762 times)

N.L.

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2670 on: October 03, 2017, 04:30:07 PM »
Don't trust those numbers.

a) The dude who did that website is has some questionable methods and numbers.
b) Ace added meat to their hangers since.

Vitriol

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
« Reply #2671 on: October 04, 2017, 01:05:15 PM »
Don't trust those numbers.

a) The dude who did that website is has some questionable methods and numbers.
b) Ace added meat to their hangers since.

Yep you're right, I forgot that because i roll with the old design; bends a tad but still strong enough for my soft skating.  ;D

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2672 on: October 04, 2017, 07:32:34 PM »
Krux are on sale on most of the big websites, anyone know why? K5's coming?
you never know about pre-cum 

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #2673 on: October 05, 2017, 06:09:11 PM »
will krux cushions work in Ventures? purple stocks are a tad too squishy for me.
I believe the bottom bushing will be too tall for them. Not 100% because I haven't owned ventures in probably 10 years.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2674 on: October 06, 2017, 10:53:29 AM »
Expand Quote
will krux cushions work in Ventures? purple stocks are a tad too squishy for me.
[close]
I believe the bottom bushing will be too tall for them. Not 100% because I haven't owned ventures in probably 10 years.

Krux bottoms are taller than everything but ACEs (and I think Thunder bottoms), I doubt they would fit properly in Ventures.

shadow

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2675 on: October 06, 2017, 01:56:59 PM »
looks like the krux bottoms are about 2-3 mm taller than the stock venture purples. is this going to throw the geometry off at all? they seem pretty tight with the nut flush but i can't actually skate em today because it's been raining on and off.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #2676 on: October 06, 2017, 03:03:16 PM »
looks like the krux bottoms are about 2-3 mm taller than the stock venture purples. is this going to throw the geometry off at all? they seem pretty tight with the nut flush but i can't actually skate em today because it's been raining on and off.
DLX supercush, indy aftermarkets, and doh-dohs fit Ventures perfectly. There's tons of options.  If you want to pack out some krux ones though, go for it, it shouldn't be that bad.
you never know about pre-cum 

shadow

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2677 on: October 06, 2017, 03:14:42 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
DLX supercush, indy aftermarkets, and doh-dohs fit Ventures perfectly. There's tons of options.  If you want to pack out some krux ones though, go for it, it shouldn't be that bad.

I wanted to try something different and it seems like the krux cushions get a lot of love on here. i'm curious if the formula is really any different than the indy aftermarkets.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2678 on: October 07, 2017, 05:53:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I wanted to try something different and it seems like the krux cushions get a lot of love on here. i'm curious if the formula is really any different than the indy aftermarkets.

Picked up some aftermarket indy 90a cylinders today, they're about 1-3mm shorter than the krux, whereas the indy conicals are the same height as krux, not sure why the aftermarket cylinders are shorter than the conicals...and the conical tops are shorter than the aftermarket cylinder tops...also, the stock indy cylinders are the same height as the krux. Anyway...

Been running my 144 Indys with bones mediums (no washers) and 144 thunders with 88 conical indys (and bones washers top and bottom), skated each for a week straight.

The Thunders really feel great with these bushings, probably the most dialed I've been able to get them, but for now I'm switching back to indys as I've been skating a 90% transition park and I've come to find that what I really like about thunders is the reset to center whereas the indys, with conicals, feel a bit wobblier on return, so I'm trying out 90a cylinders and 88a tops (with washers) for a bit more stability.

ciaran

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2679 on: October 08, 2017, 01:39:30 PM »
Might be of some use to somebody - lately I've switched from a full set of Bones medium in a pair of Ace 44s to stock Ace bushings on the bottom and Bones on the top.  So far so good - everything feels notably better.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #2680 on: October 08, 2017, 03:41:52 PM »
How many axle washers do you guys run? Trying to prevent some axle slips.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #2681 on: October 08, 2017, 03:48:04 PM »
2 on the inside one on the outside of each wheel. 12 total.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #2682 on: October 08, 2017, 03:51:03 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply, I'll definitely try that ratio out, I was gonna run two inside and two outiside but was kinda sketched my axle nut wouldn't be tight enough and fall off.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2683 on: October 08, 2017, 04:16:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Same here (depending on wheels) keeps the nut right at the end of the axle combating primo lands.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2684 on: October 08, 2017, 04:27:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Ran the same set up with standard Indy nuts but switching over to the smaller Ace nuts makes it impossible

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2685 on: October 08, 2017, 05:03:10 PM »
Reynolds put this up and i'm sure a few in here could relate heavily

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2686 on: October 08, 2017, 07:00:18 PM »
55??

I feel that!

N.L.

« Reply #2687 on: October 08, 2017, 07:51:54 PM »
55mm is a magical size.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #2688 on: October 08, 2017, 08:32:34 PM »
55 is the biggest you can go and not feel like you're riding a cruiser

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #2689 on: October 08, 2017, 09:26:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Ran the same set up with standard Indy nuts but switching over to the smaller Ace nuts makes it impossible

I've mentioned this before and will do it any time someone even mentions washers......check out race reds....you can crank your axel nuts tight.....no bullshit backing off a quarter turn....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2690 on: October 09, 2017, 06:43:52 AM »
55 is the biggest you can go and not feel like you're riding a cruiser

At some point in the 80s OJ made their 'street razor' wheel in 55mm, it was the smallest wheel to hit at that time and we flipped out over it. Only got smaller from there!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #2691 on: October 09, 2017, 07:44:04 AM »
I stuck a set of gizmos in my mouth......

DBAG999

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2692 on: October 09, 2017, 10:31:56 AM »
Might be of some use to somebody - lately I've switched from a full set of Bones medium in a pair of Ace 44s to stock Ace bushings on the bottom and Bones on the top.  So far so good - everything feels notably better.

Do you use washers with the stock Ace bushing on the bottom? Interested in trying this setup.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2693 on: October 09, 2017, 07:43:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Do you use washers with the stock Ace bushing on the bottom? Interested in trying this setup.

I'm curious about this too.  My Ace bushings are getting to the point of being too soft... I tried Krux bushings pretty soon after getting my 44's and those were crazy loose for me.  Wondering if there's a good aftermarket option is a slightly harder durometer.  I'm a bigger dude, and at 33 have a hard time getting out more than a couple days a week.  Maybe I should just buy Ace aftermarkets, fight through the break in period and keep swapping them out when they get to the point there currently at?

Mongoloid

« Reply #2694 on: October 10, 2017, 03:15:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm curious about this too.  My Ace bushings are getting to the point of being too soft... I tried Krux bushings pretty soon after getting my 44's and those were crazy loose for me.  Wondering if there's a good aftermarket option is a slightly harder durometer.  I'm a bigger dude, and at 33 have a hard time getting out more than a couple days a week.  Maybe I should just buy Ace aftermarkets, fight through the break in period and keep swapping them out when they get to the point there currently at?

I rock Doh Doh’s in my Aces. In the high’s they fit seamlessly using the stock washers, in the lows I remove the bottom washer so they are the right height.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2695 on: October 10, 2017, 10:49:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I rock Doh Doh’s in my Aces. In the high’s they fit seamlessly using the stock washers, in the lows I remove the bottom washer so they are the right height.

What durometer Doh Doh's do you use?

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2696 on: October 10, 2017, 11:43:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Try Khiro? Lots of tweaker options to play around with!

Mongoloid

« Reply #2697 on: October 10, 2017, 03:01:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I use the reds (95), but I gotta make a proper distinction here.

The reds are absolutely perfect for my 03 lows as far as looseness/turning, but for whatever reason felt too loose on my shaped board I rode last weekend which has Ace 55's. I tried the whites which were (98 I believe, and they felt too rigid and once they softened up didn't have very good rebound).

I'm 170lbs, and always rode loose so take that into consideration as well.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2698 on: October 10, 2017, 07:43:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I use the reds (95), but I gotta make a proper distinction here.

The reds are absolutely perfect for my 03 lows as far as looseness/turning, but for whatever reason felt too loose on my shaped board I rode last weekend which has Ace 55's. I tried the whites which were (98 I believe, and they felt too rigid and once they softened up didn't have very good rebound).

I'm 170lbs, and always rode loose so take that into consideration as well.

I hover around 175/178 (trying to get to 180) and ride loose - I get wheelbite no matter what - when I rode ACE03s I rode bones hards top and bottom, ino washer and it was perfect. At first I thought it would be counter productive, hard conicals, loose truck style, super turny trucks and back then I was only 165 or so. Once the bones broke in it was all gravy.

N.L.

« Reply #2699 on: October 10, 2017, 08:03:07 PM »
I'm 200lbs, like long walks on the beach, reading romance novels and deep discussions about bushings. 88-90a only. If I get wheelbite, I know I'm doing it wrong.