Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220650 times)

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2700 on: October 10, 2017, 11:16:27 PM »
I bought 2 sets of Krux, 8.25s and 8.5s, $30 shipped... Am I allowed to put these on a DLX board? I don't know what I'm doing with my life.
you never know about pre-cum 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2701 on: October 10, 2017, 11:38:11 PM »
do you need counseling?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #2702 on: October 11, 2017, 01:26:32 AM »
This was pretty interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzCgzrup5vc

Lorn Au Arcos

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2703 on: October 11, 2017, 06:29:13 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzCgzrup5vc

Funny, that randomly showed up on my home youtube page so I gave it a watch. I remember those trucks so it held my attention. I also remember my buddy skating them for a while and kept breaking kingpins, which is ironic since they started as a kingpin company.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2704 on: October 11, 2017, 08:03:02 AM »

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2705 on: October 11, 2017, 09:20:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Funny, that randomly showed up on my home youtube page so I gave it a watch. I remember those trucks so it held my attention. I also remember my buddy skating them for a while and kept breaking kingpins, which is ironic since they started as a kingpin company.

Showed up for me as well, gave it a watch - I was out of the 'know' when all those GK variants came out.

ciaran

• Rep: 22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2706 on: October 11, 2017, 05:00:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Might be of some use to somebody - lately I've switched from a full set of Bones medium in a pair of Ace 44s to stock Ace bushings on the bottom and Bones on the top.  So far so good - everything feels notably better.
[close]

Do you use washers with the stock Ace bushing on the bottom? Interested in trying this setup.
[close]

I'm curious about this too.  My Ace bushings are getting to the point of being too soft... I tried Krux bushings pretty soon after getting my 44's and those were crazy loose for me.  Wondering if there's a good aftermarket option is a slightly harder durometer.  I'm a bigger dude, and at 33 have a hard time getting out more than a couple days a week.  Maybe I should just buy Ace aftermarkets, fight through the break in period and keep swapping them out when they get to the point there currently at?

Yep, I use the washer on the bottom.  Seems fine.  I kept the old Bones top bushing and put it with a bottom Ace bushing that was a couple of weeks old before it was taken out in the first place. 

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #2707 on: October 13, 2017, 12:55:30 PM »
I've been using the blue indy 92a aftermarket bushings in all my trucks for a while now

set up a new pair of the ave matte clear that came stock with white bushings and replaced them with some blue conical 92as. They felt softer than the stock ones, which made me feel crazy so I cranked it down a little past flush and it was still way too loose from what I normally expect.

Rode them for less than an hour and noticed a giant slice into the top bushing on my front truck like it folded over the top washer, which I'm sure is "my fault" but still kinda disappointed in what I thought was my perfect bushing now has me second guessing.

I put the white stock ones back in, and they feel way better than the orange stock ones that come with every set of regular indys
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #2708 on: October 14, 2017, 12:16:47 PM »
I've been using the blue indy 92a aftermarket bushings in all my trucks for a while now

set up a new pair of the ave matte clear that came stock with white bushings and replaced them with some blue conical 92as. They felt softer than the stock ones, which made me feel crazy so I cranked it down a little past flush and it was still way too loose from what I normally expect.

Rode them for less than an hour and noticed a giant slice into the top bushing on my front truck like it folded over the top washer, which I'm sure is "my fault" but still kinda disappointed in what I thought was my perfect bushing now has me second guessing.

I put the white stock ones back in, and they feel way better than the orange stock ones that come with every set of regular indys
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The coefficient of friction between the yoke and the bushings is a factor in how trucks feel.  If you soap the bushings to make them more slippery the truck will feel looser.  An Indy with a matte finish is a different surface than a standard polished Indy.  So the same bushings could yield a different tightness from one set of trucks to another.

Also, unrelated, on Indys the hollow kingpins are longer than the regular kingpins.  So if your settings are referenced to the nut being flush then you will wind up in a different place.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2709 on: October 14, 2017, 12:26:37 PM »
A while back I came up on some 215s on ebay for pretty much free. They have zero grind marks, but the bushings were blown and the kingpin looked wonky on one of them. I don't know how old these are.  Long story short, I bought the Indy 6 hole baseplates that just came out, new hardware, and put some 88 aftermarkets on them.  The problem I'm having is it was nearly impossible for the kingpin nut to go on with these new bushings and it seems like the way the yoke sits on the bottom bushing isn't right.  I barely got the nuts on and they're down to almost flush, but I feel like something's off. Any suggestions? Indy is saying they're universal baseplates so maybe it's the bushings being too tall?

Spicy boi.

• Rep: 8
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2710 on: October 15, 2017, 05:04:17 PM »
dumb ass question, but any chance at all that a thunder hi hollow kingpin would fit in a indy standard?

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #2711 on: October 18, 2017, 06:29:18 AM »
Does anyone have an opinion on Indy Lows and how they skate?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #2712 on: October 18, 2017, 08:34:23 AM »
Yah there a bunch of trucks we don't talk too much about : Thunder hi's, venture hi's, Indy los, ace lo's....Indy mids.....

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #2713 on: October 18, 2017, 11:50:22 AM »
Expand Quote

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
[close]

The coefficient of friction between the yoke and the bushings is a factor in how trucks feel.  If you soap the bushings to make them more slippery the truck will feel looser.  An Indy with a matte finish is a different surface than a standard polished Indy.  So the same bushings could yield a different tightness from one set of trucks to another.

Also, unrelated, on Indys the hollow kingpins are longer than the regular kingpins.  So if your settings are referenced to the nut being flush then you will wind up in a different place.

wild, i never even thought it was the matte finish. gonna swap over some bushings from a polished pair of indys just to prove you right and settle this madness in my mind

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #2714 on: October 18, 2017, 01:31:13 PM »
Yeah, I do - they suck. More wheelbite is all I got. I'm still of the opinion that people who ride indy, just haven't/won't give other brands a chance. Mini-logos are better than independent, especially if you are looking for a low truck.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2715 on: October 18, 2017, 03:29:11 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yeah, I do - they suck. More wheelbite is all I got. I'm still of the opinion that people who ride indy, just haven't/won't give other brands a chance. Mini-logos are better than independent, especially if you are looking for a low truck.

I got a pair a couple years back because I got all hyped watching Brent Atchley footage and he seemed to be able to make them turn a bit but damn.. They didn't turn for shit. I'm surprised people can skate these, you have to tick tack to turn anything more than a 15 degree angle.

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2716 on: October 18, 2017, 11:56:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I got a pair a couple years back because I got all hyped watching Brent Atchley footage and he seemed to be able to make them turn a bit but damn.. They didn't turn for shit. I'm surprised people can skate these, you have to tick tack to turn anything more than a 15 degree angle.
I’m with you guys,tried to rode a set couple of years ago but those things just don’t turn, even with chopped down bushings... Get forged ones if you need lower indy.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2717 on: October 19, 2017, 09:06:07 AM »
I take everything I said about 5.8 Ventures turning back. I dunno what was wrong with me. Probably due to me breaking my leg and for some reason liking rather tight trucks previously, I thought they turned, but they really don't turn well at all.

I've tried them with stock bushings, Bones mediums and Indy stocks and I just can't get them loose enough. I really like them otherwise though and for some reason I seem to be hellbent on making them work even though I absolutely love stock Ace 44s and Indy 149s with Bones mediums are pretty good too. 🤔

I'm considering trying the soft (88A) Indy conical bushings in the Ventures to make them turn more nicely. I should probably just ditch them and stick with Aces but I've got the disease, just gotta fuck around with trucks no matter what. 😬

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #2718 on: October 19, 2017, 12:36:30 PM »
Ventures will never turn as quickly as Ace.  With that being said I love how Venture 5.8s skate (with Venom 88a bushings). 

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2719 on: October 19, 2017, 09:29:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
I’m with you guys,tried to rode a set couple of years ago but those things just don’t turn, even with chopped down bushings... Get forged ones if you need lower indy.

It’s true sadly, I loved my Indy lows for a second but it’s cause I some how got them a good medium loose and threw shock pads that made them thunder hi 147 height but Indy feel but lately I think cause I’m learning to jump higher Im moving towards mid height trucks like mentioned forged Indy standards, mini logos though are some legit trucks just sucks that the quality is sometimes iffy, I had to replace the kingpin twice cause some wobbling developed somehow and just decided overall I like the way Indy standards feel since jumping higher
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
« Reply #2720 on: October 19, 2017, 10:15:16 PM »
I take everything I said about 5.8 Ventures turning back. I dunno what was wrong with me. Probably due to me breaking my leg and for some reason liking rather tight trucks previously, I thought they turned, but they really don't turn well at all.

I've tried them with stock bushings, Bones mediums and Indy stocks and I just can't get them loose enough. I really like them otherwise though and for some reason I seem to be hellbent on making them work even though I absolutely love stock Ace 44s and Indy 149s with Bones mediums are pretty good too. 🤔

I'm considering trying the soft (88A) Indy conical bushings in the Ventures to make them turn more nicely. I should probably just ditch them and stick with Aces but I've got the disease, just gotta fuck around with trucks no matter what. 😬

They are at opposite ends of the truck spectrum...ventures can be responsive but no way can they reach the turning radius of an ACE....

Aces are more like....you lean and nothing is really happening...then you do a U turn....

Maybe an ACE low just to keep you guessing?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2721 on: October 20, 2017, 12:02:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They are at opposite ends of the truck spectrum...ventures can be responsive but no way can they reach the turning radius of an ACE....

Aces are more like....you lean and nothing is really happening...then you do a U turn....

Yeah, I know they’re in the opposite spectrum but for some reason I kinda like the Ventures. Was thinking of trying the 78A Indy super soft bushings in them too maybe instead of the 88A ones. That might be really interesting. I’ll have to see what the shops have next week when I go to Helsinki where there are shops with better selection.

Ace lows. Thankfully they only come in 8” wide and I ride 8.38” or 8.5” and also 54 mm wheels, so lows aren’t really an option. 😆

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #2722 on: October 20, 2017, 11:39:54 AM »
If you want a stable truck that turns well, go with Theeve. No other truck has this oval yoke that pulls your wheels inwards (as opposed to towards the deck) after a certain point.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2723 on: October 20, 2017, 11:51:22 AM »
If you want a stable truck that turns well, go with Theeve. No other truck has this oval yoke that pulls your wheels inwards (as opposed to towards the deck) after a certain point.

Backing this post 110% as someone who has frequently flip flopped from Thunders & Ventures. To me they're like the best all around , all-terrain truck. You can do some zippy street stuff, skate big gaps, or carve tranny all pretty well. Grind like a beast AND they're relatively light as well.

calvinsdream

« Reply #2724 on: October 20, 2017, 09:22:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I know they’re in the opposite spectrum but for some reason I kinda like the Ventures. Was thinking of trying the 78A Indy super soft bushings in them too maybe instead of the 88A ones. That might be really interesting. I’ll have to see what the shops have next week when I go to Helsinki where there are shops with better selection.

Ace lows. Thankfully they only come in 8” wide and I ride 8.38” or 8.5” and also 54 mm wheels, so lows aren’t really an option. 😆

I really like the 78a indys. They're really soft but without feeling squirrely.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #2725 on: October 22, 2017, 11:29:08 AM »
whats the general consensus on bushings for 149 team highs? been running the 94a blues for a year, need a new back kingpin as my shit is fucked and figure i may aswell get a new set. ride them fairly loose and im getting wheelbite on 54s so im unsure as to what to get.

--

« Reply #2726 on: October 24, 2017, 06:27:09 PM »
what are the options for replacing thunder pivot cups?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2727 on: October 24, 2017, 06:31:02 PM »
what are the options for replacing thunder pivot cups?

Thunder

mini logo

riptide

i think khrio do some as well

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2728 on: October 24, 2017, 08:06:01 PM »
Khiro don't sit well in the thunder plates, they stick up a bit and push the hanger foreward (as you can't get the pivot deep enough due to how thick thick they are.

Just throw in some whatever black cups you can find

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2729 on: October 24, 2017, 11:41:58 PM »
What’s the consensus on flip tricks and the width of your trucks?

I wanna be more into my flip tricks but I love stability and I think 144/149 tricks do break even but idk...less area to flip=faster flip tricks=more predictable to catch and land??
yes