Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221094 times)

BMCsteve

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 54
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2730 on: October 25, 2017, 06:31:56 AM »
What’s the consensus on flip tricks and the width of your trucks?

I wanna be more into my flip tricks but I love stability and I think 144/149 tricks do break even but idk...less area to flip=faster flip tricks=more predictable to catch and land??

Dear god Rob.....

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #2731 on: October 25, 2017, 06:48:57 AM »
depends how much pressure you apply, where you flick, center of gravity, size shoe, board size, wheel size for the rotational weight, and so much more.

I personally like a nice floaty flip, so 149s with an 8.38-8.5 and 53mm wheels is preferred

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2732 on: October 25, 2017, 10:28:41 AM »

I wanna be more into my flip tricks but I love stability and I think 144/149 tricks do break even but idk...less area to flip=faster flip tricks=more predictable to catch and land??

It doesn't matter - it's personal preference.

I'm sure you've seen treflips performed on 129/147 all the way through 169s (R.Hawk and more)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2733 on: October 25, 2017, 12:32:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Dear god Rob.....

Haha it’s cause I flop between my 149 and 139/147 every now and then and I do notice obviously the 8” trucks flip easier faster and somewhat more predictable but the stability is somewhat way off and idk if I can deal with that

Expand Quote

[close]

I'm sure you've seen treflips performed on 129/147 all the way through 169s (R.Hawk and more)

Thanks I needed that realization I was going mad again, been gettin less kook only flopping between the top 2(Indy and thunders)

Also damn those Indy after market comical work best!! I threw the 88a like N.L. Mentioned and oh my Gonz they felt way better than the after market cylinders or stock, had to go tighter though to upgraded to the 94a no bottom washer and so far very good. If you get Indy after market bushings for your Indy’s I highly suggest the conicals no buts
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 12:40:06 PM by rob »
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2734 on: October 25, 2017, 08:11:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Dear god Rob.....
[close]

Haha it’s cause I flop between my 149 and 139/147 every now and then and I do notice obviously the 8” trucks flip easier faster and somewhat more predictable but the stability is somewhat way off and idk if I can deal with that

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks I needed that realization I was going mad again, been gettin less kook only flopping between the top 2(Indy and thunders)

Also damn those Indy after market comical work best!! I threw the 88a like N.L. Mentioned and oh my Gonz they felt way better than the after market cylinders or stock, had to go tighter though to upgraded to the 94a no bottom washer and so far very good. If you get Indy after market bushings for your Indy’s I highly suggest the conicals no buts

Also, this is why I only ride 144/148s now.

Diocletian

« Reply #2735 on: October 26, 2017, 04:52:28 AM »
I’m curious to try those new team titanium’s by Thunder, since they use a cast baseplate to keep it at the 52.3mm height. However, I have a feeling I’ll be really disappointed with the turn/wheelbite. If it doesn’t turn like Ace I won’t last a minute.

Currently running Ace 44’s with stock bottom bushings and Indy hard top bushings, along with riptide pivot cups and it’s the most dialed-in I’ve ever had these trucks. The turn is unbelievable.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2736 on: October 26, 2017, 07:13:40 AM »
The geometry of the two trucks is so different.....no way they will turn the same....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2737 on: October 26, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »
The geometry of the two trucks is so different.....no way they will turn the same....

So true but you can only try and kook around until you get 99% close enough but never 100 haha
yes

ValJerk

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2738 on: October 26, 2017, 04:18:25 PM »
I was a grindking guy when I rode 7.5's in the mid 90's then rode indys ever since in varying widths. Ride Indy 139 low hangers on forged baseplates with green conical Indy 90a bottom (no washer) and white 88a top bushings, I also use grindking kingpins. I tighten them until I can barely make it wheel bite by hand. I'm 145lbs. Monday I set up a pair of ace 03's with magnesium baseplates, my same Indy bushing combo w no bottom washer, and Jerry rigged some grindking kingpins in. They turn great and they grind great, and are lighter than any truck in the shop excluding the Mullen uberlights. They're even lighter then any of my old grindkings. I feel like a traitor but so far I like em. I'm trying to destroy them so we'll see how they fair
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 04:22:04 PM by ValJerk »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2739 on: October 26, 2017, 06:10:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So true but you can only try and kook around until you get 99% close enough but never 100 haha

I wouldn't even go 99% unless you are talking indy / ace and thunders are their own beast. I'm back on Theeve tiKings after riding the TiH for a minute (finally found a bushing combo that works to get them loose enough), it's a nice balance between indy and thunder for me....turns well but still stable.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2740 on: October 26, 2017, 07:14:06 PM »
To me comparing an ace to a thunder is like comparing an Indy to a venture....just different trucks....

Thunder=bigger wheelbase, turn fast but bottom out
Ace=smaller wheelbase, stable but then turn deeply.....if you ride them super loose they are just plain wild.....,

Theeves almost no longer exist.....

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2741 on: October 26, 2017, 08:02:18 PM »
To me comparing an ace to a thunder is like comparing an Indy to a venture....just different trucks....

Ace=smaller wheelbase, stable but then turn deeply.....if you ride them super loose they are just plain wild.....,

My local core shops carry them (Rip City is as core as you can get) and so do most major online shops with inventory that's current...seem like they still exist to me. Hell, if Silver, destructo and royal are still around, don't see why theeve wouldn't keep going, they have been for 10 years.

Can buy aces around here anymore tho, no one trusts the build quality even tho all the bowl guys around here do.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:06:44 PM by Xen »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2742 on: October 26, 2017, 08:06:07 PM »
Idk if it’s jist my change in skating where I cruise the streets more and don’t have time to practice back and forth on flat like I use to but I freaking love Indy standards now, been riding my 149 for the last 2 weeks and love them but I don’t know if it’s previously stated or cause of my deck...

Riding a nice broken in girl Howard 8.25 with a 14” wb and had thunders on it both 147&148 but didn’t really dig the pushed out wb feel switched to the Indys and damn my board feels like the way my old 7.8 with krux back in the days setup feels, just comfortable and broken in with little effort to adjust and do what I want

Tried the Theeves like you guys but idk, they felt too centered and pushed in for me, maybe cause I’ve only tried bones bushings and the Theeve copycats in them. Love the Indy’s so much with their turn control and small lag in response making it more predictable how your gonna pop

yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2743 on: October 26, 2017, 08:12:56 PM »
Just have to remember that theeve prototypes were using ACE plates, that should tell you something about where they borrowed their geo (and why they feel a bit more stable -to me- than indys but still less turny than ACE, good middle ground; using bones med bottoms and bones soft tops as the new theeve bones-like bushing are labeled as Hard.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:15:46 PM by Xen »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2744 on: October 26, 2017, 08:16:48 PM »
Just have to remember that theeve prototypes were using ACE plates, that should tell you something about where they borrowed their geo (and why they feel a bit more stable -to me- than indys but still less turny than ACE, good middle ground; using bones med bottoms and bones soft tops

That’s what this little deja vu feeling was when I was trying the theeves! I was like this turn seems a little familiar but whatever and sadly sold my ace 44’s that I miss now after I’ve witnessed the greatness of Indy after market conicals :(

They probably would of been too unstable anyways...
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2745 on: October 26, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »
Theeves still have that ability to really hook back like an ACE.....

Indys are just a more steady turning truck which is hard to fuck with....

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #2746 on: October 26, 2017, 09:23:40 PM »
How high are Theeves compared to an Indy? Thinking of giving the 9" model a go.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2747 on: October 26, 2017, 09:49:26 PM »

The claim 55mm tall (just like standard indys) they are a hair taller than my thunders with cast plates and damn near the same height as my ACEs, I'd wager closer to 54 than 55 is that means anything to you

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #2748 on: October 26, 2017, 09:53:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The claim 55mm tall (just like standard indys) they are a hair taller than my thunders with cast plates and damn near the same height as my ACEs, I'd wager closer to 54 than 55 is that means anything to you

Believe it or not, it does. Thanks for the help, you're the man Xen!

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2749 on: October 27, 2017, 02:48:12 PM »
Hey does anyone know if after market, if they are considered that, krux bushings are different from the stock? Or is it just the stock krux pivot cups and bushing set sold separately basically ?
yes

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2750 on: October 27, 2017, 03:16:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

My local core shops carry them (Rip City is as core as you can get) and so do most major online shops with inventory that's current...seem like they still exist to me. Hell, if Silver, destructo and royal are still around, don't see why theeve wouldn't keep going, they have been for 10 years.

Can buy aces around here anymore tho, no one trusts the build quality even tho all the bowl guys around here do.

They just hit their 10 year anniversary not too long ago but when Jordan Hoffart & Bastien Salabanzi (I’m a big fan of both) are your most marketable Pro’s, it’s hard not to look like you don’t exist in the truck market lol. You’d never guess that they had Tony & Riley Hawk on the team at one point

We need the power of SLAP & the truck thread to make them cool again. You know Krux must’ve seen a boost in their kingpin sales since the making of this thread. I love my Theeves man they cured my truck madness we can’t let them lie in irrelevance like this

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2751 on: October 27, 2017, 04:42:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

They just hit their 10 year anniversary not too long ago but when Jordan Hoffart & Bastien Salabanzi (I’m a big fan of both) are your most marketable Pro’s, it’s hard not to look like you don’t exist in the truck market lol. You’d never guess that they had Tony & Riley Hawk on the team at one point

We need the power of SLAP & the truck thread to make them cool again. You know Krux must’ve seen a boost in their kingpin sales since the making of this thread. I love my Theeves man they cured my truck madness we can’t let them lie in irrelevance like this

Don't forget Raybourn when he was on Slave/Theeve, then got swooped up by birdhouseindybones (tho he's on ojs now, like a boss).

The bones bushing blowout nonsese damaged their rep, much like ACEs and the build quality.

Diocletian

« Reply #2752 on: October 27, 2017, 09:22:17 PM »
It’s definitely frustrating, regarding the build quality of Ace’s. I gotta stand there and inspect every set at the local shop and choose the best looking ones (equally tapered hangers where it meets the axle, not oddly shaped and deformed looking/oval). I don’t understand how a truck can come out so drastically different from one set to another if it’s all being poured or injected into the same mold. I’m sure most people don’t even pay attention and just buy whatever set the person behind the counter hands to them, but for me I care about craftsmanship in the things that I buy. I know I know, China metal and I shouldn’t be expecting anything of that level.

The only problems I’ve had with Indy/Thunder’s is metal from the hanger spilled onto the axle, making it impossible for a bearing to spin, so if I accidentally get a set like that I have to shave away the metal with a razor blade. I’ve also noticed lots of Indy’s have off centered iron cross stamps on the baseplate, which is annoying if you have OCD like me.

Bottom line is I’ve noticed I’m not much different than rob, except I’ve never and will never skate a set of low trucks or Mini Logos. I truly have accepted that Ace totally enslaved me with the geometry, no matter what else I try I always end up going back.

Weird thing is I bought a black set to use the baseplates for added flair with the black base/silver hanger combo and they have held up way better at the pivot point than the raw ones. No widening of the hole whatsoever, while the raw baseplates always do pretty quickly when I slappy.

saltusnaut

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2753 on: October 28, 2017, 02:42:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I gave up on theeve after the kingpins shewed up the hole in the baseplate making them super squirrely. This happened on four occasions all within a couple of weeks getting/replacing them. And I'm not talking loose ace squirrely but rather that squirrelyness plus a freak tipping when the kingpins moved from side to side. Just a heads up. I had the tikings

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #2754 on: October 28, 2017, 02:57:03 AM »
is it just me or is replacing splined thunder kingpins a fucking bitch

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2755 on: October 28, 2017, 10:39:59 AM »

If you know anyone handy and has a shop with tools galore or someone who has a press that’s the easiest way, pressed my kingpins in less than a min for both thunders cause I wanted my own team hollows without buying a new set
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #2756 on: October 28, 2017, 08:53:13 PM »
I looked at my 2 setups tonight (anti hero 7.81 with 129 Indys standard & girl 8.125 with thunder hi 147s) and thought "those thunders look pretty nice... possibly even the leader in control". So I took that setup and head over to the school ( there's an elementary school around the corner). It's a little brisk tonight so I had a hoodie on.. hood up even. I get to the school and do a few warm up ollies and kickflips.. couple curb grinds. I look down and realize I'm wearing an old Indy hoodie yet skating thunder. I look around for a second as if the skate fashion police are going to show up and suspend my license to grind. I then shake it off like "what? That's dumb" and comfort myself with what a silly thought that is. Within a few minutes I gain a cramp in my side and realize that "soon it will be time to excrete waste, i had better get home!" About halfway home (it only takes maybe 5 minutes)... the pain turns pretty severe and I'm getting nervous. I make it home and long stride down the hall to the bathroom. I proceed to have one of those shits that feels like it's coming out sideways. Coincidence or?

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #2757 on: October 28, 2017, 09:13:14 PM »
Fuck with the truck gawds and they WILL make you pay!
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #2758 on: October 29, 2017, 02:21:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you know anyone handy and has a shop with tools galore or someone who has a press that’s the easiest way, pressed my kingpins in less than a min for both thunders cause I wanted my own team hollows without buying a new set

i managed to hammer the fucker in but theres still a few mm of it sticking out. probably fucked the spline grooves bashing out the old kingpin/putting it in the oven

Trollin4Tuna

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2759 on: October 29, 2017, 06:48:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I gave up on theeve after the kingpins shewed up the hole in the baseplate making them super squirrely. This happened on four occasions all within a couple of weeks getting/replacing them. And I'm not talking loose ace squirrely but rather that squirrelyness plus a freak tipping when the kingpins moved from side to side. Just a heads up. I had the tikings

Contact Theeve. It may take a while and their customer service isn’t the easiest to deal with since they are in AUS and their email response sucks but they shipped me some new base plates with hollow kingpins for free. I was trying to buy them.