Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220895 times)

saltusnaut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 36
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2760 on: October 29, 2017, 11:52:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
To me comparing an ace to a thunder is like comparing an Indy to a venture....just different trucks....

Thunder=bigger wheelbase, turn fast but bottom out
Ace=smaller wheelbase, stable but then turn deeply.....if you ride them super loose they are just plain wild.....,

Theeves almost no longer exist.....
[close]

My local core shops carry them (Rip City is as core as you can get) and so do most major online shops with inventory that's current...seem like they still exist to me. Hell, if Silver, destructo and royal are still around, don't see why theeve wouldn't keep going, they have been for 10 years.

Can buy aces around here anymore tho, no one trusts the build quality even tho all the bowl guys around here do.
[close]

They just hit their 10 year anniversary not too long ago but when Jordan Hoffart & Bastien Salabanzi (I’m a big fan of both) are your most marketable Pro’s, it’s hard not to look like you don’t exist in the truck market lol. You’d never guess that they had Tony & Riley Hawk on the team at one point

We need the power of SLAP & the truck thread to make them cool again. You know Krux must’ve seen a boost in their kingpin sales since the making of this thread. I love my Theeves man they cured my truck madness we can’t let them lie in irrelevance like this
[close]

I gave up on theeve after the kingpins shewed up the hole in the baseplate making them super squirrely. This happened on four occasions all within a couple of weeks getting/replacing them. And I'm not talking loose ace squirrely but rather that squirrelyness plus a freak tipping when the kingpins moved from side to side. Just a heads up. I had the tikings
[close]

Contact Theeve. It may take a while and their customer service isn’t the easiest to deal with since they are in AUS and their email response sucks but they shipped me some new base plates with hollow kingpins for free. I was trying to buy them.

That's what I did. The swedish distribution replaced them but the same problem reoccurred so I got my money back.

Vigo the Carpathian

« Reply #2761 on: October 29, 2017, 05:43:59 PM »
Ventures couldn't make a frontside turn today skating tranny, going too fast, ended up over the coping, landing on my elbow.  Hadn't skated in weeks after tweaking my ankle, so I feel like my trucks got tighter.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2762 on: October 29, 2017, 11:01:44 PM »
so I tried to trick out with the 8” trucks today and I had a feeling i was right as it was obvious to everyone, the stability was way off. Going back to the new optimal size of 8.25 trucks
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2763 on: October 30, 2017, 01:00:24 PM »
so I tried to trick out with the 8” trucks today and I had a feeling i was right as it was obvious to everyone, the stability was way off. Going back to the new optimal size of 8.25 trucks

I doubt I'll fuck with 8.5" trucks for a long time, I'll still play around with 8.3s and either 44s or one of the 8.25" trucks out there (5.5/148/144/etc); the 8.25" trucks are just right and work with a lot of deck widths (without tweaking the ocd buttons).

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2764 on: October 30, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »
Are you guys ready for this shit?  Ace says they've "precisely measured" all of their models and came out with a new size chart.  8.12 axle width on 44's?  I've measured them with a tape measure and get 8.38 as many have said on here.  God I wish they could get their shit together.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba4PRGSBXvl/?taken-by=acetrucks

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2765 on: October 30, 2017, 01:48:38 PM »
^ yeah it looks like they mismeasured the 44’s. Have never skated aces but the gap between the 33s & 44s is the smallest on the chart, and 8.38” looks more in line with what you’d expect.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2766 on: October 30, 2017, 02:30:47 PM »
Are you guys ready for this shit?  Ace says they've "precisely measured" all of their models and came out with a new size chart.  8.12 axle width on 44's?  I've measured them with a tape measure and get 8.38 as many have said on here.  God I wish they could get their shit together.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ba4PRGSBXvl/?taken-by=acetrucks

Bullshit unless they've changed up there sizing on new runs (hangers from a purchase a few months ago)

8.13 was what the actual old 33 measurements were.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2767 on: October 30, 2017, 02:32:15 PM »
Yeah, you need about 2.6" of space left for your wheels - if you add 2.6 to every hanger width, I think that'd be the axle width, which would also correspond to what we know the 44's are, which is 8.38

edit: acetrucks just mentioned that they are correcting said chart

editx2: here it is

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 07:21:13 AM by Firebert »

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #2768 on: October 30, 2017, 07:24:02 PM »
8 3/8" = 44s
8 7/8"= 55s

ace need to make a 8 5/8" inbetweener

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #2769 on: October 30, 2017, 07:30:12 PM »
Yah it's probably another senseless way of measuring trucks.....like 'well it's the effective axel meaning we don't include where the axel nut is!'

Or....it's possible the set they measured was bent......it happens.....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2770 on: October 30, 2017, 08:38:43 PM »
Yah it's probably another senseless way of measuring trucks.....like 'well it's the effective axel meaning we don't include where the axel nut is!'

Or....it's possible the set they measured was bent......it happens.....

Hahaha damn roasted!...

Yeah and the 03 I had were actually more a 7.875/7.9 not a good 8” like thunder 147 or Indy 139 being a very true 8”
yes

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #2771 on: October 31, 2017, 03:20:29 AM »
it's probably been answered 53485348 times but what's the change like going from 149 thunder team highs to 149 indy stage 11s? figure i'm just gonna get new trucks and a change could be in order, i've heard indys tend to be much more carvier but you lose some of the responsiveness you tend to get with thunders?

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #2772 on: October 31, 2017, 03:36:44 AM »
I’m going to pick up a Zip Zinger. I’ve always wanted Aces due to the almost cult like praise they usually get but the number of and types of problems even with the resdigns have scared me away. However, I am again, really salivating over Aces.

I know most people who get Aces get 44’s or 55’s but can anyone tell me well are aces at smaller sizes like 22s or should I just stick with Indys?

jamersonbass

« Reply #2773 on: October 31, 2017, 08:23:11 AM »
it's probably been answered 53485348 times but what's the change like going from 149 thunder team highs to 149 indy stage 11s? figure i'm just gonna get new trucks and a change could be in order, i've heard indys tend to be much more carvier but you lose some of the responsiveness you tend to get with thunders?

The big thing is the change in wheelbase and height.  Thunders are lower than Indy's and push the wheelbase farther out.  They also have what I consider a "sportier turn".  Indy's always feel good to me after bouncing around between Thunder's and Ace's.  The Indy aftermarket bushings are superior to the stock ones, but Thunder stock bushings are great once they break in.

Also, you can't noseslide or tailslide with Thunders...

imad

• Rep: -167
« Reply #2774 on: October 31, 2017, 09:44:18 AM »
I can't believe owners of a truck company can't even properly measure their own trucks and have the capacity to double check their measurements before making a chart and posting it on Instagram. Lay off the weed and measure a set that's not defective and bent.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2775 on: October 31, 2017, 01:34:51 PM »
I’m going to pick up a Zip Zinger. I’ve always wanted Aces due to the almost cult like praise they usually get but the number of and types of problems even with the resdigns have scared me away. However, I am again, really salivating over Aces.

I know most people who get Aces get 44’s or 55’s but can anyone tell me well are aces at smaller sizes like 22s or should I just stick with Indys?

They look sick and they are just going on a zip zinger......id get em...but on my zip zinger I repurposed an old set of indys.....I think there's lots of old 129's out there.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2776 on: October 31, 2017, 02:39:28 PM »

Get the 22's, they'll be great.

Or.. I had a pair of thunder lights 147's with raisers on it and it felt so good on the zinger. The extra width made the whole setup feel a little more stable for such a small board. Nimble but stable, yo gabba gabba. The 33's are slightly smaller (7.875ish) than the 147/139's so they'll be even better too.

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2777 on: October 31, 2017, 07:43:37 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The big thing is the change in wheelbase and height.  Thunders are lower than Indy's and push the wheelbase farther out.  They also have what I consider a "sportier turn".  Indy's always feel good to me after bouncing around between Thunder's and Ace's.  The Indy aftermarket bushings are superior to the stock ones, but Thunder stock bushings are great once they break in.

My god yes... the white super softs are all I can possibly skate. Just buy a new set every 8 months or so.  And my god yes I thought I was going crazy with my last pair of thunders! I would nose/tailslide all day for weeks just to try to get the baseplates nice and warn in, but no marks ever appeared. Something abouth thunder's geometry doesn't let me to grind down the baseplates. so weird.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2778 on: October 31, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
I can't believe owners of a truck company can't even properly measure their own trucks and have the capacity to double check their measurements before making a chart and posting it on Instagram. Lay off the weed and measure a set that's not defective and bent.

I said pretty much the same thing in my head when I saw the chart. It's no wonder they can't get a grasp on their QC.

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #2779 on: November 01, 2017, 08:11:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
My god yes... the white super softs are all I can possibly skate. Just buy a new set every 8 months or so.  And my god yes I thought I was going crazy with my last pair of thunders! I would nose/tailslide all day for weeks just to try to get the baseplates nice and warn in, but no marks ever appeared. Something abouth thunder's geometry doesn't let me to grind down the baseplates. so weird.

Yeah DLX needs to come out with an extended baseplate for thunders. Maybe even a slightly higher forged plate so they don’t have all these mix&match cast plates+titanium hanger setups in their product lineup. It’s almost too many options at this point

Can’t be the leader in control if you can’t lock into slides as well as other trucks amiright? There’s just something about hearing that baseplate scrape while you slide that makes those tricks that much more satisfying. Hoesntly id probably make the switch back to thunder if they fixed that

jamersonbass

« Reply #2780 on: November 01, 2017, 08:49:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I was totally joking about noseslides and tailslides. It came up in another thread.

Yeah, the baseplate doesn't make contact as well as other trucks but it doesn't seem to affect some of the most technical skaters in the world (Ishod, Shane, Miles, x 100 more).  I know Thunder has a prototype in the wild with an extended baseplate.  It was referenced earlier in this thread I think.  I'd love to give those a go.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:52:39 AM by jamersonbass »

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2781 on: November 01, 2017, 09:25:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I was totally joking about noseslides and tailslides. It came up in another thread.

Yeah, the baseplate doesn't make contact as well as other trucks but it doesn't seem to affect some of the most technical skaters in the world (Ishod, Shane, Miles, x 100 more).  I know Thunder has a prototype in the wild with an extended baseplate.  It was referenced earlier in this thread I think.  I'd love to give those a go.

I assure you, Thunders work great for nosesides and tailslides!
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #2782 on: November 01, 2017, 09:42:40 AM »
In my experience with thunders and slides, it’s almost as if you have to hold your weight straight down on the tail and keep it centered or it’ll spin off the ledge early, whereas with ventures, Theeve, & Indy, that baseplate scrape keeps you from over rotating and gives you a little more room for error upon the initial lock-in.

I just saw an ishod clip on insta recently where he did a long ass tailslide kickflip out so obviously they’re doable, but there is definitely a little less room for error for us mere mortals, especially if you’re approaching a really long slide where you have to go pretty fast. I’m always a lot more nervous doing that with thunders than other trucks cuz it’s real easy to over rotate on that lock in and spin out and eat shit, or under rotate and have the board just wedge into the ledge and stick. It could very well be all mental but there’s just something about having that baseplate as point of reference to kind of gauge your positioning that gives me more confidence

Bizarro Jerry

« Reply #2783 on: November 01, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
I assure you, Thunders work great for nosesides and tailslides!
[close]
I mean I didn't really have a problem actually doing nose/tail slides, it's just that I never got my baseplate worn down. And tbh I like having my baseplate get some damage on it, kinda like how I like having nice grooves in my trucks.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2784 on: November 03, 2017, 03:12:32 AM »
^at work right now but when I get home later I will post a pic of my worn as fuck thunder pivot socket (but will first have to remove the embarrassing, shitty graphics). My only objection would be that since im a tool and mostly skate parks, all i slide on is perfect angle iron. If i was skating rounded, worn of curbs i would expect the baseplates to not touch on the curb as much.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Bizarro Jerry

« Reply #2785 on: November 03, 2017, 05:03:07 PM »
^at work right now but when I get home later I will post a pic of my worn as fuck thunder pivot socket (but will first have to remove the embarrassing, shitty graphics). My only objection would be that since im a tool and mostly skate parks, all i slide on is perfect angle iron. If i was skating rounded, worn of curbs i would expect the baseplates to not touch on the curb as much.
You're not a tool! I can pretty much skate only parks nowadays anyays for a few reasons, but even with angle iron boxes and skatepark ledges for some reason my thunder baseplates never made contact.  Maybe I just suck... maybe thunder's geometry doesn't work with my nose/tailslides.  All I know is that with indies my baseplates get plenty worn down.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #2786 on: November 03, 2017, 11:51:19 PM »
Probably one of the better indy vs thunder comparative reviews I've seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgqZtaiI_X4

--

« Reply #2787 on: November 04, 2017, 08:00:10 AM »

he touched on all the reasons why i like thunders... except that i like to skate loose and i can't do that with 53mm wheels and not get wheelbite every so often

Lorn Au Arcos

• Rep: -4
« Reply #2788 on: November 04, 2017, 08:17:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
he touched on all the reasons why i like thunders... except that i like to skate loose and i can't do that with 53mm wheels and not get wheelbite every so often

I could not sit through that but how is WheelBase a concept he has never considered?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2789 on: November 04, 2017, 08:40:52 AM »
Background props......#internetfamous

I think he knows about wheelbase, he's just saying how the trucks affect it.....

The gap and steepness is pretty much the argument of quick vs. steep in terms of pop....