Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 293232 times)

--

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2820 on: November 04, 2017, 08:00:10 AM »
Probably one of the better indy vs thunder comparative reviews I've seen:

he touched on all the reasons why i like thunders... except that i like to skate loose and i can't do that with 53mm wheels and not get wheelbite every so often

Lorn Au Arcos

• Rep: -1
« Reply #2821 on: November 04, 2017, 08:17:15 AM »
Probably one of the better indy vs thunder comparative reviews I've seen:

he touched on all the reasons why i like thunders... except that i like to skate loose and i can't do that with 53mm wheels and not get wheelbite every so often

I could not sit through that but how is WheelBase a concept he has never considered?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 665
« Reply #2822 on: November 04, 2017, 08:40:52 AM »
Background props......#internetfamous

I think he knows about wheelbase, he's just saying how the trucks affect it.....

The gap and steepness is pretty much the argument of quick vs. steep in terms of pop....

alraunen

• Rep: -4
    • www.davidcampillo.net
« Reply #2823 on: November 05, 2017, 12:51:35 PM »
Today I broke the hollow kingping of a Thunder, I have a spare hollow kingping but I read long time ago that it's a fucking hell to replace it, any special tip? It's broken under the baseplant if that helps... 

Krooked antihero

• Rep: 32
« Reply #2824 on: November 06, 2017, 06:12:57 AM »
Today I broke the hollow kingping of a Thunder, I have a spare hollow kingping but I read long time ago that it's a fucking hell to replace it, any special tip? It's broken under the baseplant if that helps...
In my experience manhole-covers are best for this, place baseplate over the hole and just hammer that fucker out there with that broken kingpin you got, doesnít come easy though... good luck.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #2825 on: November 06, 2017, 06:24:03 AM »
^put it in oven for 10 min first, will be easier to get it out (works with cast baseplate, must be helpfull with forged)

alraunen

• Rep: -4
    • www.davidcampillo.net
« Reply #2826 on: November 06, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »
^^thanks guys, I done it before with independents but looks more difficult this time because the kingping is slightly deformed.

clamy

• Rep: 81
« Reply #2827 on: November 07, 2017, 03:36:06 AM »
I don't see what's so good about Krux bushings in Aces.

My trucks were squeaking a lot, so I swapped out some 18 month old stock bushings with Krux bushings (ended up being a squeaking pivot cup). The Krux bushings felt clunky, they made the trucks looser, but they lost that turn I was used to. I'm going back to the Ace stock bushings, they're a little tight when new, but once broken in you then get a nice sharp turn that's stable.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 03:44:43 AM by clamy »

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2828 on: November 07, 2017, 05:12:38 AM »
some words of wisdom for you crazybat shithead...
149 indy with black aftermarket cilinder bushings is the truth ;)
been riding the same set of bushings for over a year, still no reason to buy new ones, they're immortals

jamersonbass

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2829 on: November 07, 2017, 06:56:20 AM »
I don't see what's so good about Krux bushings in Aces.

My trucks were squeaking a lot, so I swapped out some 18 month old stock bushings with Krux bushings (ended up being a squeaking pivot cup). The Krux bushings felt clunky, they made the trucks looser, but they lost that turn I was used to. I'm going back to the Ace stock bushings, they're a little tight when new, but once broken in you then get a nice sharp turn that's stable.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #2830 on: November 07, 2017, 07:16:14 AM »
been riding the same set of bushings for over a year, still no reason to buy new ones, they're immortals

And probably don't turn? They're super hard!

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2831 on: November 07, 2017, 08:00:30 AM »

And probably don't turn? They're super hard!
I won't lie, I felt my knees slowly dying after the first sesh, but that was the breaking in, now they're just perfect, so just ride them on a beer set-up/cruiser first, and apreciate the perfect feeling trucks after that

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2832 on: November 07, 2017, 08:44:53 AM »
...and let's call it the "Nefertitties" 8)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:59:14 AM by the snake »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2833 on: November 09, 2017, 04:57:45 PM »
So the dude in the video suggests boards with room before the kick should be ridden with Thunders and those with no room should ride indy styles? Kook.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 05:02:54 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2834 on: November 09, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »
i think he just likes it steep ie. Indys w. BBS/ Generator.....it's preference......

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2835 on: November 10, 2017, 04:27:04 AM »
I noticed Daan Van Der Linden is riding Aceís in the Spitfire ďThrash and Burn Charred RemainsĒ video. Seems like more and more Indy riders get curious and end up trying Aceís. Andrew Allen was on them for awhile, Cardiel, Blender, Agah, Barker Barrett...

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2836 on: November 10, 2017, 02:52:36 PM »
So the dude in the video suggests boards with room before the kick should be ridden with Thunders and those with no room should ride indy styles? Kook.

Iím a kook who backs this kooky suggestion

I feel like the space between the top bolt holes and the kick is a hint of how long the wheelbase is

Therefore you get a more responsive pop with the pushed out kick with pushed out hangar thunder geometry
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2837 on: November 10, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »
I noticed Daan Van Der Linden is riding Ace’s in the Spitfire “Thrash and Burn Charred Remains” video. Seems like more and more Indy riders get curious and end up trying Ace’s. Andrew Allen was on them for awhile, Cardiel, Blender, Agah, Barker Barrett...

But they all seem to go back to Indy (or indy decides to float them a paycheck...Fletcher, most of the Bloodwizard dudes)...it's as if being on anything but Indy or Thunder puts you in the kook camp.

That said, I ran my ACEs a few days last week (on a long wheelbase) and now I'm fucked again :P been forcing myself to ride thinner/shorter shit and I don't think it's working out.

I’m a kook who backs this kooky suggestion

I feel like the space between the top bolt holes and the kick is a hint of how long the wheelbase is

Therefore you get a more responsive pop with the pushed out kick with pushed out hangar thunder geometry

i think he just likes it steep ie. Indys w. BBS/ Generator.....it's preference......

I get that it's preference...I can't recall if the 'Prof' mentioned trucks when that video was made about the space before the kick...anyone have a link to that? Found this one but isn't there another?

I prefer no space after the truck (with Thunders)

Unrelated: I've noticed a significant amount to boards getting longer....lots of 32.12, 32.22, 32.25/.5 but still short wheelbases...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:32:56 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2838 on: November 10, 2017, 08:07:37 PM »
I think he actually did one about the gap which arguably contradicts his argument for risers.....

franquietits

• Rep: 34
« Reply #2839 on: November 11, 2017, 04:33:18 AM »
It was actually this written article: http://theridechannel.com/features/2016/08/paul-schmitt-skateboard-workshop-visit

To sum it up: more pop = less gap, more control = more gap

-I think with the risers he was just making the argument that extra height requires more pop force [or energy], resulting in a better/higher pop. The less gap just means better leverage for pop, depending on the trucks, also. 

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 489
« Reply #2840 on: November 11, 2017, 07:06:56 AM »
hardly art, hardly starving

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 69
« Reply #2841 on: November 11, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »
one thing that doesn't work for me is loosey-goosey trucks. I've ridden my trucks like that the last two and a half years. but a couple days ago, I changed out the pivot cups and tightened the kingpins on my indys and I had much better pop and consistency when I skated yesterday. gonna stick with medium looseness/tightness from now on. I'm not daewon song or matt rodriguez ffs. it's like when people say I didn't learn to read music because paul mccartney and jimi hendrix never did and look at them. well, hate to break it to you, bud, but you're not those people. you most likely would have benefited from learning to read music. that's my rant for the day.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #2842 on: November 11, 2017, 10:56:22 AM »
one thing that doesn't work for me is loosey-goosey trucks. I've ridden my trucks like that the last two and a half years. but a couple days ago, I changed out the pivot cups and tightened the kingpins on my indys and I had much better pop and consistency when I skated yesterday. gonna stick with medium looseness/tightness from now on. I'm not daewon song or matt rodriguez ffs. it's like when people say I didn't learn to read music because paul mccartney and jimi hendrix never did and look at them. well, hate to break it to you, bud, but you're not those people. you most likely would have benefited from learning to read music. that's my rant for the day.

Haha so true, I did the same where I was riding medium and when I tightened my trucks to medium tight all of a sudden I was ollieing stairs and landing all my flat ground tricks better and more consistently 
yes

full of jerks

• Rep: -10
« Reply #2843 on: November 13, 2017, 11:52:56 AM »
I noticed Daan Van Der Linden is riding Aceís in the Spitfire ďThrash and Burn Charred RemainsĒ video. Seems like more and more Indy riders get curious and end up trying Aceís. Andrew Allen was on them for awhile, Cardiel, Blender, Agah, Barker Barrett...

But they all seem to go back to Indy (or indy decides to float them a paycheck...Fletcher, most of the Bloodwizard dudes)...it's as if being on anything but Indy or Thunder puts you in the kook camp.

That said, I ran my ACEs a few days last week (on a long wheelbase) and now I'm fucked again :P been forcing myself to ride thinner/shorter shit and I don't think it's working out.

Iím a kook who backs this kooky suggestion

I get that it's preference...I can't recall if the 'Prof' mentioned trucks when that video was made about the space before the kick...anyone have a link to that? Found this one but isn't there another?

I prefer no space after the truck (with Thunders)

Unrelated: I've noticed a significant amount to boards getting longer....lots of 32.12, 32.22, 32.25/.5 but still short wheelbases...

In this video they actually give some figures for the angle of the deck when the tail touches down.  If I remember they changed it from 35 to 37 or something.  This is the angle that you can measure on your deck using the level on your iPhone.  Ace vs Thunder, fingers of flat, risers, wheel diameter etc. all boil down to that.

Jud Nestorkins

• Rep: -39
« Reply #2844 on: November 14, 2017, 01:12:32 AM »
It was actually this written article: http://theridechannel.com/features/2016/08/paul-schmitt-skateboard-workshop-visit

-I think with the risers he was just making the argument that extra height requires more pop force [or energy], resulting in a better/higher pop. The less gap just means better leverage for pop, depending on the trucks, also.

Doesnít kick height do more for pop than the wheelbase?

I donít know. This seems to have some merit.

Plus Iíve always thought I got more pop with forged Indys vs the cast ones because they are a little lower.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:15:29 AM by Jud Nestorkins »

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #2845 on: November 14, 2017, 01:28:22 AM »

Plus Iíve always thought I got more pop with forged Indys vs the cast ones because they are a little lower.

I feel like it does and thatís explains why I would usually like a lower truck(52mm height max) and ride my decks backwards cause the way the nose is kicked high up is evened out with my low trucks for popping as a tail, plus the nose as a tail gave me more confidence in my back foot getting more area on the board when you see your deck has the shortest smallest tail to pop off of if you ride your board the normal way forward
yes

Jud Nestorkins

• Rep: -39
« Reply #2846 on: November 14, 2017, 01:58:50 AM »

I feel like it does and thatís explains why I would usually like a lower truck(52mm height max) and ride my decks backwards cause the way the nose is kicked high up is evened out with my low trucks for popping as a tail, plus the nose as a tail gave me more confidence in my back foot getting more area on the board when you see your deck has the shortest smallest tail to pop off of if you ride your board the normal way forward

Not trying to be a dick at all but whatís the point of lower trucks if youíre going to use the nose as the tail?

Like wouldnít using the nose as the tail with standard thunders be equivalent to say Indy standards and using the tail as the tail?

Edit. Also it seems  weird that according to Schmitt all you need to ollie higher is taller truck? Then why not just use like 5 risers and 1-2 inch bolts?

I donít know about the science of it and maybe its just all in my head but again I feel like with the same deck I get a snappier pop with forged Indyís vs the the standard base plate. Maybe itís the weight difference but since both trucks I used had hollow kingpins and axles I cant imagine that the weight had more to do with it than the truck hight.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:24:24 AM by Jud Nestorkins »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2847 on: November 14, 2017, 08:29:49 AM »

Not trying to be a dick at all but whatís the point of lower trucks if youíre going to use the nose as the tail?

Like wouldnít using the nose as the tail with standard thunders be equivalent to say Indy standards and using the tail as the tail?

Edit. Also it seems  weird that according to Schmitt all you need to ollie higher is taller truck? Then why not just use like 5 risers and 1-2 inch bolts?

I donít know about the science of it and maybe its just all in my head but again I feel like with the same deck I get a snappier pop with forged Indyís vs the the standard base plate. Maybe itís the weight difference but since both trucks I used had hollow kingpins and axles I cant imagine that the weight had more to do with it than the truck hight.

Obviously the science is there for how you ride - some people care (Daewon), others don't...finger test, wheelbase, kick height, concave, width, truck height, yadda yadda...so many variables. I skate better on thunders because I am more comfortable on them, seemingly due to their lower height and impact on WB (case in point, I switched over to thunders on my flight deck which was feeling cramped using theeves or indys, put the thunders on and it was instantly better comfort-wise (but I still fought transition harder than on theeves or indys); the hardest thing for me is WB, 14.25" fucks with my head but hte bigger you go the bigger the boards get and that sucks - if I was better at CAD I'd have perfected my shit by now.

Back in the 80s we tried just that just for fun: steep-ass H-Street boards with hotrod style risers in the back - it was more effort than desired of course and didn't net results...that said, steep tails work better for me and I assume kicks that start after the bolts as I have always been about pop/height and speed and not finesse

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #2848 on: November 14, 2017, 12:51:50 PM »

Lower trucks have more control, also I said I feel more comfy having a big tail to pop off

I donít like my back foot standing on a itty bitty tail, I like the way old school/ shapes boards will have a big square tail and low nose but I get ocd after a few days of I ride a shaped if it isnít a somewhat symmetrical looking shape so I donít have to make sure the board is frontward or backwards

Also using the regular big nose for flip tricks it flops too fast and much for me, using the tail makes the flip slower but I like the feel
yes

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2849 on: November 14, 2017, 06:40:00 PM »
Weíre almost to page 100!