Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220708 times)

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2790 on: November 05, 2017, 12:51:35 PM »
Today I broke the hollow kingping of a Thunder, I have a spare hollow kingping but I read long time ago that it's a fucking hell to replace it, any special tip? It's broken under the baseplant if that helps... 

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #2791 on: November 06, 2017, 06:12:57 AM »
Today I broke the hollow kingping of a Thunder, I have a spare hollow kingping but I read long time ago that it's a fucking hell to replace it, any special tip? It's broken under the baseplant if that helps...
In my experience manhole-covers are best for this, place baseplate over the hole and just hammer that fucker out there with that broken kingpin you got, doesn’t come easy though... good luck.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2792 on: November 06, 2017, 06:24:03 AM »
^put it in oven for 10 min first, will be easier to get it out (works with cast baseplate, must be helpfull with forged)

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #2793 on: November 06, 2017, 11:54:06 AM »
^^thanks guys, I done it before with independents but looks more difficult this time because the kingping is slightly deformed.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2794 on: November 07, 2017, 05:12:38 AM »
some words of wisdom for you crazybat shithead...
149 indy with black aftermarket cilinder bushings is the truth ;)
been riding the same set of bushings for over a year, still no reason to buy new ones, they're immortals

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2795 on: November 07, 2017, 06:56:20 AM »
I don't see what's so good about Krux bushings in Aces.

My trucks were squeaking a lot, so I swapped out some 18 month old stock bushings with Krux bushings (ended up being a squeaking pivot cup). The Krux bushings felt clunky, they made the trucks looser, but they lost that turn I was used to. I'm going back to the Ace stock bushings, they're a little tight when new, but once broken in you then get a nice sharp turn that's stable.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2796 on: November 07, 2017, 07:16:14 AM »
been riding the same set of bushings for over a year, still no reason to buy new ones, they're immortals

And probably don't turn? They're super hard!

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2797 on: November 07, 2017, 08:00:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

And probably don't turn? They're super hard!
I won't lie, I felt my knees slowly dying after the first sesh, but that was the breaking in, now they're just perfect, so just ride them on a beer set-up/cruiser first, and apreciate the perfect feeling trucks after that

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2798 on: November 07, 2017, 08:44:53 AM »
...and let's call it the "Nefertitties" 8)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 08:59:14 AM by the snake »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2799 on: November 09, 2017, 04:57:45 PM »
So the dude in the video suggests boards with room before the kick should be ridden with Thunders and those with no room should ride indy styles? Kook.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 05:02:54 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2800 on: November 09, 2017, 07:40:23 PM »
i think he just likes it steep ie. Indys w. BBS/ Generator.....it's preference......

Diocletian

« Reply #2801 on: November 10, 2017, 04:27:04 AM »
I noticed Daan Van Der Linden is riding Ace’s in the Spitfire “Thrash and Burn Charred Remains” video. Seems like more and more Indy riders get curious and end up trying Ace’s. Andrew Allen was on them for awhile, Cardiel, Blender, Agah, Barker Barrett...

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2802 on: November 10, 2017, 02:52:36 PM »
So the dude in the video suggests boards with room before the kick should be ridden with Thunders and those with no room should ride indy styles? Kook.

I’m a kook who backs this kooky suggestion

I feel like the space between the top bolt holes and the kick is a hint of how long the wheelbase is

Therefore you get a more responsive pop with the pushed out kick with pushed out hangar thunder geometry
yes

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2803 on: November 10, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »
I noticed Daan Van Der Linden is riding Ace’s in the Spitfire “Thrash and Burn Charred Remains” video. Seems like more and more Indy riders get curious and end up trying Ace’s. Andrew Allen was on them for awhile, Cardiel, Blender, Agah, Barker Barrett...

But they all seem to go back to Indy (or indy decides to float them a paycheck...Fletcher, most of the Bloodwizard dudes)...it's as if being on anything but Indy or Thunder puts you in the kook camp.

That said, I ran my ACEs a few days last week (on a long wheelbase) and now I'm fucked again :P been forcing myself to ride thinner/shorter shit and I don't think it's working out.

Expand Quote
[close]

I feel like the space between the top bolt holes and the kick is a hint of how long the wheelbase is

Therefore you get a more responsive pop with the pushed out kick with pushed out hangar thunder geometry

i think he just likes it steep ie. Indys w. BBS/ Generator.....it's preference......

I get that it's preference...I can't recall if the 'Prof' mentioned trucks when that video was made about the space before the kick...anyone have a link to that? Found this one but isn't there another?
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZdDsicDafw

I prefer no space after the truck (with Thunders)

Unrelated: I've noticed a significant amount to boards getting longer....lots of 32.12, 32.22, 32.25/.5 but still short wheelbases...
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:32:56 PM by Xen »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #2804 on: November 10, 2017, 08:07:37 PM »
I think he actually did one about the gap which arguably contradicts his argument for risers.....

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #2805 on: November 11, 2017, 04:33:18 AM »
It was actually this written article: http://theridechannel.com/features/2016/08/paul-schmitt-skateboard-workshop-visit

To sum it up: more pop = less gap, more control = more gap

-I think with the risers he was just making the argument that extra height requires more pop force [or energy], resulting in a better/higher pop. The less gap just means better leverage for pop, depending on the trucks, also. 

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #2806 on: November 11, 2017, 07:06:56 AM »
hardly art, hardly starving

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2807 on: November 11, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »
one thing that doesn't work for me is loosey-goosey trucks. I've ridden my trucks like that the last two and a half years. but a couple days ago, I changed out the pivot cups and tightened the kingpins on my indys and I had much better pop and consistency when I skated yesterday. gonna stick with medium looseness/tightness from now on. I'm not daewon song or matt rodriguez ffs. it's like when people say I didn't learn to read music because paul mccartney and jimi hendrix never did and look at them. well, hate to break it to you, bud, but you're not those people. you most likely would have benefited from learning to read music. that's my rant for the day.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2808 on: November 11, 2017, 10:56:22 AM »
one thing that doesn't work for me is loosey-goosey trucks. I've ridden my trucks like that the last two and a half years. but a couple days ago, I changed out the pivot cups and tightened the kingpins on my indys and I had much better pop and consistency when I skated yesterday. gonna stick with medium looseness/tightness from now on. I'm not daewon song or matt rodriguez ffs. it's like when people say I didn't learn to read music because paul mccartney and jimi hendrix never did and look at them. well, hate to break it to you, bud, but you're not those people. you most likely would have benefited from learning to read music. that's my rant for the day.

Haha so true, I did the same where I was riding medium and when I tightened my trucks to medium tight all of a sudden I was ollieing stairs and landing all my flat ground tricks better and more consistently 
yes

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #2809 on: November 13, 2017, 11:52:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

But they all seem to go back to Indy (or indy decides to float them a paycheck...Fletcher, most of the Bloodwizard dudes)...it's as if being on anything but Indy or Thunder puts you in the kook camp.

That said, I ran my ACEs a few days last week (on a long wheelbase) and now I'm fucked again :P been forcing myself to ride thinner/shorter shit and I don't think it's working out.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

I get that it's preference...I can't recall if the 'Prof' mentioned trucks when that video was made about the space before the kick...anyone have a link to that? Found this one but isn't there another?
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZdDsicDafw

I prefer no space after the truck (with Thunders)

Unrelated: I've noticed a significant amount to boards getting longer....lots of 32.12, 32.22, 32.25/.5 but still short wheelbases...

In this video they actually give some figures for the angle of the deck when the tail touches down.  If I remember they changed it from 35 to 37 or something.  This is the angle that you can measure on your deck using the level on your iPhone.  Ace vs Thunder, fingers of flat, risers, wheel diameter etc. all boil down to that.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #2810 on: November 14, 2017, 01:12:32 AM »
It was actually this written article: http://theridechannel.com/features/2016/08/paul-schmitt-skateboard-workshop-visit

-I think with the risers he was just making the argument that extra height requires more pop force [or energy], resulting in a better/higher pop. The less gap just means better leverage for pop, depending on the trucks, also.

Doesn’t kick height do more for pop than the wheelbase?

I don’t know. This seems to have some merit.

http://youtu.be/xj_9Yr6P1qE

Plus I’ve always thought I got more pop with forged Indys vs the cast ones because they are a little lower.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:15:29 AM by Jud Nestorkins »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2811 on: November 14, 2017, 01:28:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Plus I’ve always thought I got more pop with forged Indys vs the cast ones because they are a little lower.

I feel like it does and that’s explains why I would usually like a lower truck(52mm height max) and ride my decks backwards cause the way the nose is kicked high up is evened out with my low trucks for popping as a tail, plus the nose as a tail gave me more confidence in my back foot getting more area on the board when you see your deck has the shortest smallest tail to pop off of if you ride your board the normal way forward
yes

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #2812 on: November 14, 2017, 01:58:50 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I feel like it does and that’s explains why I would usually like a lower truck(52mm height max) and ride my decks backwards cause the way the nose is kicked high up is evened out with my low trucks for popping as a tail, plus the nose as a tail gave me more confidence in my back foot getting more area on the board when you see your deck has the shortest smallest tail to pop off of if you ride your board the normal way forward

Not trying to be a dick at all but what’s the point of lower trucks if you’re going to use the nose as the tail?

Like wouldn’t using the nose as the tail with standard thunders be equivalent to say Indy standards and using the tail as the tail?

Edit. Also it seems  weird that according to Schmitt all you need to ollie higher is taller truck? Then why not just use like 5 risers and 1-2 inch bolts?

I don’t know about the science of it and maybe its just all in my head but again I feel like with the same deck I get a snappier pop with forged Indy’s vs the the standard base plate. Maybe it’s the weight difference but since both trucks I used had hollow kingpins and axles I cant imagine that the weight had more to do with it than the truck hight.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:24:24 AM by Jud Nestorkins »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2813 on: November 14, 2017, 08:29:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Not trying to be a dick at all but what’s the point of lower trucks if you’re going to use the nose as the tail?

Like wouldn’t using the nose as the tail with standard thunders be equivalent to say Indy standards and using the tail as the tail?

Edit. Also it seems  weird that according to Schmitt all you need to ollie higher is taller truck? Then why not just use like 5 risers and 1-2 inch bolts?

I don’t know about the science of it and maybe its just all in my head but again I feel like with the same deck I get a snappier pop with forged Indy’s vs the the standard base plate. Maybe it’s the weight difference but since both trucks I used had hollow kingpins and axles I cant imagine that the weight had more to do with it than the truck hight.

Obviously the science is there for how you ride - some people care (Daewon), others don't...finger test, wheelbase, kick height, concave, width, truck height, yadda yadda...so many variables. I skate better on thunders because I am more comfortable on them, seemingly due to their lower height and impact on WB (case in point, I switched over to thunders on my flight deck which was feeling cramped using theeves or indys, put the thunders on and it was instantly better comfort-wise (but I still fought transition harder than on theeves or indys); the hardest thing for me is WB, 14.25" fucks with my head but hte bigger you go the bigger the boards get and that sucks - if I was better at CAD I'd have perfected my shit by now.

Back in the 80s we tried just that just for fun: steep-ass H-Street boards with hotrod style risers in the back - it was more effort than desired of course and didn't net results...that said, steep tails work better for me and I assume kicks that start after the bolts as I have always been about pop/height and speed and not finesse

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2814 on: November 14, 2017, 12:51:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Lower trucks have more control, also I said I feel more comfy having a big tail to pop off

I don’t like my back foot standing on a itty bitty tail, I like the way old school/ shapes boards will have a big square tail and low nose but I get ocd after a few days of I ride a shaped if it isn’t a somewhat symmetrical looking shape so I don’t have to make sure the board is frontward or backwards

Also using the regular big nose for flip tricks it flops too fast and much for me, using the tail makes the flip slower but I like the feel
yes

Diocletian

« Reply #2815 on: November 14, 2017, 06:40:00 PM »
We’re almost to page 100!

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #2816 on: November 15, 2017, 07:18:26 AM »
If your trucks are down to the axle (just) and then snap a kingpin, are you allowed to take an angle grinder to the replacement once in situ to make it flush to your remaining hanger clearance or do you have to come to an abrupt halt every time you grind until it is a non-protrusion?

and yes, thunder king pins are a nightmare to remove. I screwed the baseplate to a chunk of wood and hit it with the closest thing to Mjolnir I could find.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #2817 on: November 15, 2017, 03:59:15 PM »
I used a spark plug socket (any deep socket big enough would work) to support the baseplate and give room for the kingpin when I was replacing one.  Also, be sure to keep the broken one because you will use it as a tool to get the new one in.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #2818 on: November 15, 2017, 06:33:01 PM »
Well, i thought the yard sale Stage 8s I bought a while back were going to be some holy grail shit but I ended up hating them. Now I've got a really nice 8.25 deck I can barely ride.

Really unstable feeling on center but I didn't like their carve either.

I wish they'd make a Venture Hi in 8.25 since I'm used to their surfy turn. Between Thunder, Krux, and Destructo do any have a similar feel? I briefly had some Thunder 149ers before the Mark II version and they were wheelbite city for me.

chodekaka

« Reply #2819 on: November 15, 2017, 07:01:35 PM »
Well, i thought the yard sale Stage 8s I bought a while back were going to be some holy grail shit but I ended up hating them. Now I've got a really nice 8.25 deck I can barely ride.

Really unstable feeling on center but I didn't like their carve either.

I wish they'd make a Venture Hi in 8.25 since I'm used to their surfy turn. Between Thunder, Krux, and Destructo do any have a similar feel? I briefly had some Thunder 149ers before the Mark II version and they were wheelbite city for me.
I think KRUX would be the most like ventures of those three, never tried destructos though. Silver L class have a similar geometry to ventures and come in 8.25 but I wouldn’t recommend them. Have you tried the 5.8s on 8.25?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:11:08 PM by chodekaka »