Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220771 times)

shadow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 2
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2820 on: November 15, 2017, 07:47:53 PM »
Well, i thought the yard sale Stage 8s I bought a while back were going to be some holy grail shit but I ended up hating them. Now I've got a really nice 8.25 deck I can barely ride.

Really unstable feeling on center but I didn't like their carve either.

I wish they'd make a Venture Hi in 8.25 since I'm used to their surfy turn. Between Thunder, Krux, and Destructo do any have a similar feel? I briefly had some Thunder 149ers before the Mark II version and they were wheelbite city for me.

Venture 5.8s would work with an 8.25 if you're using slimmer wheels.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2821 on: November 15, 2017, 08:41:34 PM »
I don't see what's so good about Krux bushings in Aces.

My trucks were squeaking a lot, so I swapped out some 18 month old stock bushings with Krux bushings (ended up being a squeaking pivot cup). The Krux bushings felt clunky, they made the trucks looser, but they lost that turn I was used to. I'm going back to the Ace stock bushings, they're a little tight when new, but once broken in you then get a nice sharp turn that's stable.

I recently swapped out my krux bushings for the 84a (soft) Mini log bushings ...really good feel and the top bushing is low profile as any low truck out there (they are after all lows) so paired with the krux pin there is mucho clearance -  quite pleased with them in ACEs.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #2822 on: November 16, 2017, 06:26:31 AM »
If anyone was wondering, this set up works perfectly for me and always has in the past. Bushings have never blow out, pancaked out, or cracked.

chodekaka

« Reply #2823 on: November 16, 2017, 10:55:17 AM »
If anyone was wondering, this set up works perfectly for me and always has in the past. Bushings have never blow out, pancaked out, or cracked.

I’ve noticed if I put bones bushings in thunders without the bottom washer then the geometry slackens a bit, and the hanger puts pressure on the kingpin/bushing until either the kingpin is loose or the bushing cracks. That never happens to you? Maybe I should take my washers out again.

swellbowed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • ow
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2824 on: November 16, 2017, 11:41:29 AM »
Indy 169's, Venom Bushings 91A, no washers

Chippedwood

• Rep: -82
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2825 on: November 16, 2017, 02:47:42 PM »

I have Indys and I put the Blue medium/hard indy bushings (standard conical) in and change them maybe once every year or 2. I use all the washers stock. I think the Blue bushings are good if you are a bit heavier like around 200lbs, then you can tighten a little bit more and they dont squash out, like orange ones do(also depends on stage) but you can still turn great and have loose trucks for you, if a skinny guy gets on your board they will think your trucks are tight, but i keep the nut just over flush, i have 149, 159 and 169s all blue bushings. front truck is a touch looser and never switch those around.

Chippedwood

• Rep: -82
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #2826 on: November 16, 2017, 02:51:13 PM »
but if you dont ride indys those Bones white and yellow bushings are the shit, I have those on a old 90s pair of ventures 5.0 and they turn so well, no washers.
also indy standard conical bushings work great on venture HI trucks, actually makes those trucks skateable

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2827 on: November 16, 2017, 07:28:43 PM »
I put the white Indy super soft cylinder bushings in Venture 5.8 Hi’s, and they turn great now. Loose and turny when I lean, but stable when you’re moving fast. I am loving this set up!

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #2828 on: November 17, 2017, 04:33:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I’ve noticed if I put bones bushings in thunders without the bottom washer then the geometry slackens a bit, and the hanger puts pressure on the kingpin/bushing until either the kingpin is loose or the bushing cracks. That never happens to you? Maybe I should take my washers out again.

yeah, this truck set-up. I use the harder bones bushings (black plastic) and find this setup the best for me. I too see that the trucks don't sit pefectly aligned and some stress goes to the pivot cup but its only minor. I really dig the way my thunders turn this way and also got a set of blue conical indys for when my bones get smashed, that takes around a year and a half. My mate who skates thunders 149 with the yellow bones and weighs as much as I do (~80kg), goes through a set of bushings every other month.
Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2829 on: November 17, 2017, 07:50:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I use 2 bones washers per truck, regardless of truck brand:

Using the bottom washer keeps it closer to stock geometry (every truck ships with bottom washers) - do we need them? No. You get used to it.

On Thunder and Theeves, the bottom bushings are much taller than most (about a washer taller) without a bottom washer...

Plus, when and if you tighten to anything other than stock, you are changing the geo by altering the angle of the hanger as you squish the bushings down.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 06:16:51 PM by Xen »

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2830 on: November 18, 2017, 05:42:05 PM »
^I have been considering this option for a while. Time to go for it.
Expand Quote
[close]

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2831 on: November 18, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »
^I have been considering this option for a while. Time to go for it.

Hit a hardware store cheaper! I just had two sets kicking around.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2832 on: November 19, 2017, 02:10:10 PM »
No risers?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2833 on: November 19, 2017, 04:01:45 PM »
New truck brand by Jeremie Daclin, Film trucks. https://www.instagram.com/filmtrucks/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbogobqBeF6/?taken-by=jeremiedaclin
https://www.instagram.com/p/BboXGRTgdG-/?taken-by=filmtrucks

Whats your thoughts folks? I think design wise they look decent.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2834 on: November 19, 2017, 05:46:38 PM »
Filmer trucks eh.....seems pretty niche to me....

Yah they look good....more trucks to torture us with......

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2835 on: November 19, 2017, 05:47:44 PM »
The raw are cool, they remind me of old destructos or a sleeker Orion
yes

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #2836 on: November 19, 2017, 10:11:42 PM »
Dumb that they don't have a side view of the truck.  Is the geometry a secret?

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #2837 on: November 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM »
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2838 on: November 19, 2017, 11:23:22 PM »
those red baseplates look plastic

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2839 on: November 20, 2017, 12:03:24 AM »
I have a feeling these trucks will out do thunders in nose/tail slides
Expand Quote
[close]

chodekaka

« Reply #2840 on: November 20, 2017, 12:47:05 AM »
I have a feeling these trucks will out do thunders in nose/tail slides
That isn’t saying much.

Diocletian

« Reply #2841 on: November 20, 2017, 06:30:17 AM »
Those are intriguing, but until they make a totally raw truck with no art on them, I can’t get myself to try them out. I wonder when they’ll be available in USA?

Diocletian

« Reply #2842 on: November 20, 2017, 06:36:54 AM »
Can someone who’s bought a pair of Krux 8.5” talls and left them stock, who has also skated Ace trucks, tell me if the turn is similar? Krux is the only truck I haven’t tried and I like the idea of buying a truck that I don’t have to mess with whatsoever. If they can carve and have a snappy turn like Ace, I may give them a go.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2843 on: November 20, 2017, 06:58:40 AM »
Can someone who’s bought a pair of Krux 8.5” talls and left them stock, who has also skated Ace trucks, tell me if the turn is similar? Krux is the only truck I haven’t tried and I like the idea of buying a truck that I don’t have to mess with whatsoever. If they can carve and have a snappy turn like Ace, I may give them a go.

I had 8.25" Krux and they were very unstable and the turn was not deep at all. They aren't close to Ace at all IMO. Ace 44s are my go to, I can't stand trucks that don't turn deep or require massive force to turn.

chodekaka

« Reply #2844 on: November 20, 2017, 07:30:42 AM »
Skating 44s now, krux are nothing similar to the smooth tight carve of ace

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2845 on: November 20, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Skating 44s now, krux are nothing similar to the smooth tight carve of ace

I think krux have a quick response, they just dont carve as deep, which is a shame because they are good truck. I used them for a couple months but had to get back to my reliable Indys. Had Ace before but they turn into shit too quick.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Grind King Rims

« Reply #2846 on: November 20, 2017, 03:35:57 PM »
I've been skating about 15 years and I only got into switching bushings in recent years. I'm currently running bones hards, and they're I love the way they skate, only for I always find that bones bushings loosen and break very easily. I never had a problem with breaking bushings before switching to bones. Is there anything I can do to make them last a bit longer, the way paraffin stops Indy bushings from squeaking?

chodekaka

« Reply #2847 on: November 20, 2017, 09:45:49 PM »
I've been skating about 15 years and I only got into switching bushings in recent years. I'm currently running bones hards, and they're I love the way they skate, only for I always find that bones bushings loosen and break very easily. I never had a problem with breaking bushings before switching to bones. Is there anything I can do to make them last a bit longer, the way paraffin stops Indy bushings from squeaking?
If you aren’t using Indy’s keep the bottom
Washer in your trucks, without it the geometry changes a bit and the hangar puts pressure on the bushing and kingpin. But use the stock top washer and put the black washer under the bottom bushing.  The paraffin is for your pivot cup, you can still do that as well with bones bushings.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2848 on: November 21, 2017, 06:01:15 AM »
i'd prefer to file down the flange of the stock top washer and use the black one that comes with the bushings at the top. Taking away the flange feature from the top bushing can only improve turning. Night and day.
Expand Quote
[close]

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #2849 on: November 21, 2017, 06:55:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I use 2 bones washers per truck, regardless of truck brand:

Using the bottom washer keeps it closer to stock geometry (every truck ships with bottom washers) - do we need them? No. You get used to it.

On Thunder and Theeves, the bottom bushings are much taller than most (about a washer taller) without a bottom washer...

Plus, when and if you tighten to anything other than stock, you are changing the geo by altering the angle of the hanger as you squish the bushings down.

I don't know man. Maybe it's all mental but I feel weeks every time I use bones bushings with a. bottom washer.

And I like how these thunders turn way more than when they had the stock bushings whose were very broken in. The trucks now have a springiness to them the stock bushings don't. And they are both almost the same hardness.

PS. I rarely crank my kingpin nut past stock.