Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 294107 times)

Jollyoli

• Rep: 47
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2850 on: November 15, 2017, 07:18:26 AM »
If your trucks are down to the axle (just) and then snap a kingpin, are you allowed to take an angle grinder to the replacement once in situ to make it flush to your remaining hanger clearance or do you have to come to an abrupt halt every time you grind until it is a non-protrusion?

and yes, thunder king pins are a nightmare to remove. I screwed the baseplate to a chunk of wood and hit it with the closest thing to Mjolnir I could find.
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
Buckaroo Banzai.

full of jerks

• Rep: -10
« Reply #2851 on: November 15, 2017, 03:59:15 PM »
I used a spark plug socket (any deep socket big enough would work) to support the baseplate and give room for the kingpin when I was replacing one.  Also, be sure to keep the broken one because you will use it as a tool to get the new one in.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
« Reply #2852 on: November 15, 2017, 06:33:01 PM »
Well, i thought the yard sale Stage 8s I bought a while back were going to be some holy grail shit but I ended up hating them. Now I've got a really nice 8.25 deck I can barely ride.

Really unstable feeling on center but I didn't like their carve either.

I wish they'd make a Venture Hi in 8.25 since I'm used to their surfy turn. Between Thunder, Krux, and Destructo do any have a similar feel? I briefly had some Thunder 149ers before the Mark II version and they were wheelbite city for me.

chodekaka

« Reply #2853 on: November 15, 2017, 07:01:35 PM »
Well, i thought the yard sale Stage 8s I bought a while back were going to be some holy grail shit but I ended up hating them. Now I've got a really nice 8.25 deck I can barely ride.

I wish they'd make a Venture Hi in 8.25 since I'm used to their surfy turn. Between Thunder, Krux, and Destructo do any have a similar feel? I briefly had some Thunder 149ers before the Mark II version and they were wheelbite city for me.
I think KRUX would be the most like ventures of those three, never tried destructos though. Silver L class have a similar geometry to ventures and come in 8.25 but I wouldnít recommend them. Have you tried the 5.8s on 8.25?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:11:08 PM by chodekaka »

shadow

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2854 on: November 15, 2017, 07:47:53 PM »

Venture 5.8s would work with an 8.25 if you're using slimmer wheels.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #2855 on: November 15, 2017, 08:41:34 PM »
I don't see what's so good about Krux bushings in Aces.

My trucks were squeaking a lot, so I swapped out some 18 month old stock bushings with Krux bushings (ended up being a squeaking pivot cup). The Krux bushings felt clunky, they made the trucks looser, but they lost that turn I was used to. I'm going back to the Ace stock bushings, they're a little tight when new, but once broken in you then get a nice sharp turn that's stable.

I recently swapped out my krux bushings for the 84a (soft) Mini log bushings ...really good feel and the top bushing is low profile as any low truck out there (they are after all lows) so paired with the krux pin there is mucho clearance -  quite pleased with them in ACEs.

Jud Nestorkins

• Rep: -39
« Reply #2856 on: November 16, 2017, 06:26:31 AM »
If anyone was wondering, this set up works perfectly for me and always has in the past. Bushings have never blow out, pancaked out, or cracked.

chodekaka

« Reply #2857 on: November 16, 2017, 10:55:17 AM »
If anyone was wondering, this set up works perfectly for me and always has in the past. Bushings have never blow out, pancaked out, or cracked.

Iíve noticed if I put bones bushings in thunders without the bottom washer then the geometry slackens a bit, and the hanger puts pressure on the kingpin/bushing until either the kingpin is loose or the bushing cracks. That never happens to you? Maybe I should take my washers out again.

swellbowed

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2858 on: November 16, 2017, 11:41:29 AM »
Indy 169's, Venom Bushings 91A, no washers

Chippedwood

• Rep: -72
« Reply #2859 on: November 16, 2017, 02:47:42 PM »

I have Indys and I put the Blue medium/hard indy bushings (standard conical) in and change them maybe once every year or 2. I use all the washers stock. I think the Blue bushings are good if you are a bit heavier like around 200lbs, then you can tighten a little bit more and they dont squash out, like orange ones do(also depends on stage) but you can still turn great and have loose trucks for you, if a skinny guy gets on your board they will think your trucks are tight, but i keep the nut just over flush, i have 149, 159 and 169s all blue bushings. front truck is a touch looser and never switch those around.

Chippedwood

• Rep: -72
« Reply #2860 on: November 16, 2017, 02:51:13 PM »
but if you dont ride indys those Bones white and yellow bushings are the shit, I have those on a old 90s pair of ventures 5.0 and they turn so well, no washers.
also indy standard conical bushings work great on venture HI trucks, actually makes those trucks skateable

NJFly318

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2861 on: November 16, 2017, 07:28:43 PM »
I put the white Indy super soft cylinder bushings in Venture 5.8 Hiís, and they turn great now. Loose and turny when I lean, but stable when youíre moving fast. I am loving this set up!

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #2862 on: November 17, 2017, 04:33:57 AM »

Iíve noticed if I put bones bushings in thunders without the bottom washer then the geometry slackens a bit, and the hanger puts pressure on the kingpin/bushing until either the kingpin is loose or the bushing cracks. That never happens to you? Maybe I should take my washers out again.

yeah, this truck set-up. I use the harder bones bushings (black plastic) and find this setup the best for me. I too see that the trucks don't sit pefectly aligned and some stress goes to the pivot cup but its only minor. I really dig the way my thunders turn this way and also got a set of blue conical indys for when my bones get smashed, that takes around a year and a half. My mate who skates thunders 149 with the yellow bones and weighs as much as I do (~80kg), goes through a set of bushings every other month.
Chusticiero/Fuma chustas - Person who smokes the end of the joint.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2863 on: November 17, 2017, 07:50:48 PM »

I’ve noticed if I put bones bushings in thunders without the bottom washer then the geometry slackens a bit, and the hanger puts pressure on the kingpin/bushing until either the kingpin is loose or the bushing cracks. That never happens to you? Maybe I should take my washers out again.

I use 2 bones washers per truck, regardless of truck brand:

Using the bottom washer keeps it closer to stock geometry (every truck ships with bottom washers) - do we need them? No. You get used to it.

On Thunder and Theeves, the bottom bushings are much taller than most (about a washer taller) without a bottom washer...

Plus, when and if you tighten to anything other than stock, you are changing the geo by altering the angle of the hanger as you squish the bushings down.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 06:16:51 PM by Xen »

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2864 on: November 18, 2017, 05:42:05 PM »
^I have been considering this option for a while. Time to go for it.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2865 on: November 18, 2017, 06:17:57 PM »
^I have been considering this option for a while. Time to go for it.

Hit a hardware store cheaper! I just had two sets kicking around.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #2866 on: November 19, 2017, 02:10:10 PM »
No risers?

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2867 on: November 19, 2017, 04:01:45 PM »
New truck brand by Jeremie Daclin, Film trucks. https://www.instagram.com/filmtrucks/

Whats your thoughts folks? I think design wise they look decent.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #2868 on: November 19, 2017, 05:46:38 PM »
Filmer trucks eh.....seems pretty niche to me....

Yah they look good....more trucks to torture us with......

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2869 on: November 19, 2017, 05:47:44 PM »
The raw are cool, they remind me of old destructos or a sleeker Orion
yes

full of jerks

• Rep: -10
« Reply #2870 on: November 19, 2017, 10:11:42 PM »
Dumb that they don't have a side view of the truck.  Is the geometry a secret?

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2871 on: November 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM »
Dumb that they don't have a side view of the truck.  Is the geometry a secret?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2872 on: November 19, 2017, 11:23:22 PM »
those red baseplates look plastic

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2873 on: November 20, 2017, 12:03:24 AM »
I have a feeling these trucks will out do thunders in nose/tail slides

chodekaka

« Reply #2874 on: November 20, 2017, 12:47:05 AM »
I have a feeling these trucks will out do thunders in nose/tail slides
That isnít saying much.

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2875 on: November 20, 2017, 06:30:17 AM »
Those are intriguing, but until they make a totally raw truck with no art on them, I canít get myself to try them out. I wonder when theyíll be available in USA?

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2876 on: November 20, 2017, 06:36:54 AM »
Can someone whoís bought a pair of Krux 8.5Ē talls and left them stock, who has also skated Ace trucks, tell me if the turn is similar? Krux is the only truck I havenít tried and I like the idea of buying a truck that I donít have to mess with whatsoever. If they can carve and have a snappy turn like Ace, I may give them a go.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2877 on: November 20, 2017, 06:58:40 AM »
Can someone whoís bought a pair of Krux 8.5Ē talls and left them stock, who has also skated Ace trucks, tell me if the turn is similar? Krux is the only truck I havenít tried and I like the idea of buying a truck that I donít have to mess with whatsoever. If they can carve and have a snappy turn like Ace, I may give them a go.

I had 8.25" Krux and they were very unstable and the turn was not deep at all. They aren't close to Ace at all IMO. Ace 44s are my go to, I can't stand trucks that don't turn deep or require massive force to turn.

chodekaka

« Reply #2878 on: November 20, 2017, 07:30:42 AM »
Skating 44s now, krux are nothing similar to the smooth tight carve of ace

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2879 on: November 20, 2017, 08:09:38 AM »
Skating 44s now, krux are nothing similar to the smooth tight carve of ace

I think krux have a quick response, they just dont carve as deep, which is a shame because they are good truck. I used them for a couple months but had to get back to my reliable Indys. Had Ace before but they turn into shit too quick.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP