Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 295295 times)

Grind King Rims

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 192
  • They really work!
    • Amaze your friends!
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2880 on: November 20, 2017, 03:35:57 PM »
I've been skating about 15 years and I only got into switching bushings in recent years. I'm currently running bones hards, and they're I love the way they skate, only for I always find that bones bushings loosen and break very easily. I never had a problem with breaking bushings before switching to bones. Is there anything I can do to make them last a bit longer, the way paraffin stops Indy bushings from squeaking?

"Strictly for the culture" - Brian Wenning 2017

Tongue punching the Life Gnar button since 2011.

chodekaka

« Reply #2881 on: November 20, 2017, 09:45:49 PM »
I've been skating about 15 years and I only got into switching bushings in recent years. I'm currently running bones hards, and they're I love the way they skate, only for I always find that bones bushings loosen and break very easily. I never had a problem with breaking bushings before switching to bones. Is there anything I can do to make them last a bit longer, the way paraffin stops Indy bushings from squeaking?
If you arenít using Indyís keep the bottom
Washer in your trucks, without it the geometry changes a bit and the hangar puts pressure on the bushing and kingpin. But use the stock top washer and put the black washer under the bottom bushing.  The paraffin is for your pivot cup, you can still do that as well with bones bushings.

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #2882 on: November 21, 2017, 06:01:15 AM »
i'd prefer to file down the flange of the stock top washer and use the black one that comes with the bushings at the top. Taking away the flange feature from the top bushing can only improve turning. Night and day.
Chusticiero/Fuma chustas - Person who smokes the end of the joint.

Jud Nestorkins

• Rep: -39
« Reply #2883 on: November 21, 2017, 06:55:32 AM »
If anyone was wondering, this set up works perfectly for me and always has in the past. Bushings have never blow out, pancaked out, or cracked.

Iíve noticed if I put bones bushings in thunders without the bottom washer then the geometry slackens a bit, and the hanger puts pressure on the kingpin/bushing until either the kingpin is loose or the bushing cracks. That never happens to you? Maybe I should take my washers out again.

I use 2 bones washers per truck, regardless of truck brand:

Using the bottom washer keeps it closer to stock geometry (every truck ships with bottom washers) - do we need them? No. You get used to it.

On Thunder and Theeves, the bottom bushings are much taller than most (about a washer taller) without a bottom washer...

Plus, when and if you tighten to anything other than stock, you are changing the geo by altering the angle of the hanger as you squish the bushings down.

I don't know man. Maybe it's all mental but I feel weeks every time I use bones bushings with a. bottom washer.

And I like how these thunders turn way more than when they had the stock bushings whose were very broken in. The trucks now have a springiness to them the stock bushings don't. And they are both almost the same hardness.

PS. I rarely crank my kingpin nut past stock.

laramieskate55

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2884 on: November 22, 2017, 08:42:47 AM »
Has anyone tried venture v-lights 5.2 high or thunder lights 147 high? I'm currently riding classic indy's but am looking to switch things up. I like the look of the ventures more, but I'm not sure how the ventures and thunders compare.

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2885 on: November 22, 2017, 10:26:02 AM »
Has anyone tried venture v-lights 5.2 high or thunder lights 147 high? I'm currently riding classic indy's but am looking to switch things up. I like the look of the ventures more, but I'm not sure how the ventures and thunders compare.
Accidentally bought the venture lights instead of regular but they're the 5.8 ones I think. Whatever is for 8.5 boards but I had always skated Thunders before this pair of Ventures. It seems like Ventures feel more stable even when I have them super loose. Kinda like if I'm trying to skate two ledges back to back and have to swerve quickly they feel really stable. Thunders would always turn on a dime and snap back to place pretty quickly but when I had them super loose I feel like it could get kinda hectic skating those same ledges. Also you gotta take into account the Venture baseplate. It makes putting your front two bolts on kinda awkward and annoying. I have an Antihero GT 8.62 board right now and I noticed the baseplate goes like past the concave of the board its fucking weird. May go back to Thunders after this pair of Ventures

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2886 on: November 22, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies on the Krux, fellas. I found that old thread talking about Krux releasing an 8.25Ē truck and lots of people said they have an underrated and nice turn. I donít know why they intrigue me, but I guess I get bored with the same gear and like trying to switch it up. Krux seems like they may be the only one I can play it safe with and not feel too Ďkookíy riding them instead of Ace or any of the other top dog truck companies. And they offer forged baseplates so thatís a plus.

chodekaka

« Reply #2887 on: November 22, 2017, 05:54:42 PM »
What makes a truck ďkookyĒ or not?

chodekaka

« Reply #2888 on: November 22, 2017, 05:57:11 PM »
Sick these ones come with stickered grills! Krux also gave a YouTuber (Garret Ginner) a pro model truck. Not trying to hate on Krux, just donít understand the classification of kooky or not.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 05:59:52 PM by chodekaka »

laramieskate55

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2889 on: November 22, 2017, 07:42:47 PM »
Accidentally bought the venture lights instead of regular but they're the 5.8 ones I think. Whatever is for 8.5 boards but I had always skated Thunders before this pair of Ventures. It seems like Ventures feel more stable even when I have them super loose. Kinda like if I'm trying to skate two ledges back to back and have to swerve quickly they feel really stable. Thunders would always turn on a dime and snap back to place pretty quickly but when I had them super loose I feel like it could get kinda hectic skating those same ledges. Also you gotta take into account the Venture baseplate. It makes putting your front two bolts on kinda awkward and annoying. I have an Antihero GT 8.62 board right now and I noticed the baseplate goes like past the concave of the board its fucking weird. May go back to Thunders after this pair of Ventures
Yeah I hear that thunders have a really quick response, which might be nice compared to the surfy turns of indy's. I just like the way ventures look more. I figured that because venture and thunder are both made by deluxe that they would be pretty similar, but I don't know.

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2890 on: November 22, 2017, 09:03:47 PM »
Yeah I hear that thunders have a really quick response, which might be nice compared to the surfy turns of indy's. I just like the way ventures look more. I figured that because venture and thunder are both made by deluxe that they would be pretty similar, but I don't know.

Way different, ventures are very ehhhhh but thunders are good eh. Not a smooth carvy kinda loose Indy type truck but a nice stiff-ish quick response return to center turn wise and pop wise truck for getting clean tricks done fast
yes

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #2891 on: November 22, 2017, 11:32:33 PM »
Hey Truck nerds

What the hell is a 'surfy turn?' I surf as much as I skate but I can't really tell you why Indy is 'surfier' than Thunder. I think you could be talking out of your arses.

chodekaka

« Reply #2892 on: November 22, 2017, 11:45:06 PM »
Hey Truck nerds

What the hell is a 'surfy turn?' I surf as much as I skate but I can't really tell you why Indy is 'surfier' than Thunder. I think you could be talking out of your arses.
Thunders when you initiate the turn they immediatly turn snappy but then thatís it they bottom out. Very precision oriented, with a surfy truck like Indy, you start to turn slowly (relative to venture or thunder) and then towards the end (maximum lean from your body) they whip around, then you have ace which feels bottomless, I feel like I could fall off my board leaning hard before getting wheelbite. So it kind of comes down to the performance of the truck as it executes a turn. Does it do well in the beginning (venture) or does it really carve deep at the end (ace or independent). Thunder would be sort of a middle ground. Another way to feel this, if you lean deep in ventures backside standing still you reach a point where they lockout and the frontside wheels raise off the ground a bit. The amount of force it takes to do that (way more for Indyís) directly correlates to how deep they can carve and how they will perform that turn. This is a shitty drawing of a birds eye view obviously exaggerated a bit. Thunder would be a middle ground between these. But bushings and washers can also change performance a bit within reasonable limits, however this is purely from the standpoint of only truck geometry all other factors equal.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:04:59 AM by chodekaka »

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #2893 on: November 23, 2017, 12:15:40 AM »
Sure. I understand how trucks turn differently but what makes Indy or Ace more like surfing?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:17:18 AM by Lee Ralph Fan Club »

chodekaka

« Reply #2894 on: November 23, 2017, 12:34:51 AM »
Sure. I understand how trucks turn differently but what makes Indy or Ace more like surfing?
I would assume big smooth carves is like ďsidewalk surfingĒ being able to turn back and forth like surfing a wave, the way a surfboard cuts through the water with less friction than wheels on a sidewalk happens to feel and look similar, Iím
Sure thereís some marketing in there as well, Indyís were made in the era that remembers ďsidewalk surfingĒ so people probably associated the way Indyís and trackers turned in a bowl with being surfy the bowls people skated were just endless waves they wanted a truck to surf those waves, and the performance had to be predictable and in a certain way to replicate what people were doing on waves in a pool, they werenít designed at a time with ledges and flatbars it was pools and coping pretty sure grosso says in one episode of love letters it was the surfy turn of tracker with the grinding ability of gullwing and thatís what Indy was designed around . If you know how they turn differently whatís the issue here? Itís not talking out of the ass if thereís a real difference in how they turn and one feels more like surfing.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:38:32 AM by chodekaka »

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2895 on: November 23, 2017, 06:19:37 AM »
Yeah, I guess I was lame for saying certain trucks can be Ďkookíy. Everyone has their personal preference and it should be respected. I just canít help thinking when I look at certain trucks that they not only look ugly as hell, but they will turn like shit. Those Krux with all those horrible graphics are enough to make me not want to buy even the raw silvers lol.

chodekaka

« Reply #2896 on: November 23, 2017, 08:13:05 AM »
Yeah, I guess I was lame for saying certain trucks can be ‘kook’y. Everyone has their personal preference and it should be respected. I just can’t help thinking when I look at certain trucks that they not only look ugly as hell, but they will turn like shit. Those Krux with all those horrible graphics are enough to make me not want to buy even the raw silvers lol.
After watching Manny Santiago pretty much go through his entire career skating handrails and stairs on tensor magnesium lows the shittiest, exploding, truck I have ever tried they truly make your setup feel like a slab that leans side to side a bit but doesn’t actually turn. I don’t even know what to think anymore. But yeah no hate I know what you mean just playing, krux has their fair share of kookiness they even sell on Andy Schrocks online store “shred quarters” and they have trucks with a cartoon of a dog taking a shit on them. Krux are quality though, and their forged baseplates are very nice and shaped with a curved edge that apparently is easier on your deck during impacts. The kingpin clearance is also insane so much room.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:18:18 AM by chodekaka »

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #2897 on: November 23, 2017, 10:42:08 AM »
Wanna know how to get out of truck madness?

Just buy the trucks brand new thatís a truck that has worked best for you for the most time and put it on a new deck and just skate it right away no swapping bushings and try not to even adjust the tightness unless itís actually been oddly stock tightened or something and just shred just skate and donít think about the stuff just know your a kook if you complain about a brand new setup

Thatís what I did

Havenít been curious or felt the need to re assure my self on what turn style or angle I want for my skating from trucks, just skated everything the way it was out the gate and itís the best setup Iíve had in a year maybe longer

I just took my brand new deck to the shop, got any thunder hollow lights they had didnít even care about kooky color ways and plugged them on and didnít even mess with the tightness and skated the day away and I did better than I have In months with this setup
yes

Lt. Frank Drebin

• Rep: 27
« Reply #2898 on: November 23, 2017, 11:10:26 AM »

Just buy the trucks brand new thatís a truck that has worked best for you for the most time and put it on a new deck and just skate it right away no swapping bushings and try not to even adjust the tightness unless itís actually been oddly stock tightened or something and just shred just skate and donít think about the stuff just know your a kook if you complain about a brand new setup

Thatís what I did

Havenít been curious or felt the need to re assure my self on what turn style or angle I want for my skating from trucks, just skated everything the way it was out the gate and itís the best setup Iíve had in a year maybe longer

I just took my brand new deck to the shop, got any thunder hollow lights they had didnít even care about kooky color ways and plugged them on and didnít even mess with the tightness and skated the day away and I did better than I have In months with this setup

Don't know if I can believe you, Rob.

Haven't you heard the fable of the boy who cried Krux, then Royal, then Minilogo, then Thunder, then Indy Low, then Thunder again?

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #2899 on: November 23, 2017, 08:59:32 PM »

Jollyoli

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2900 on: November 24, 2017, 12:59:05 AM »
THERE IS NO ESCAPE.
I tried it, I now have three sets of nearly new trucks.
Hey, hey, hey, hey-now. Don't be mean; we don't have to be mean, cuz, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
Buckaroo Banzai.

gumi

• Rep: 7
« Reply #2901 on: November 24, 2017, 01:01:47 AM »

Thatís what I did

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #2902 on: November 24, 2017, 10:57:10 AM »
Haha well so far so good for me, Iíve even already started grinding them down so much from only a week of skating

I think you have to want to get out of it to as part of the commitment

I was realizing I wasnít progressing as well cause Iím never use to 1 setup
yes

FirstBlood82

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2903 on: November 24, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
recently switched from indy (been skating them for a looooong ass time) to thunders 147 Ti Hi, love them so far. wish they were a bit higher though, removed the bottom washer so i can them looser.

Jud Nestorkins

• Rep: -39
« Reply #2904 on: November 24, 2017, 03:12:29 PM »
recently switched from indy (been skating them for a looooong ass time) to thunders 147 Ti Hi, love them so far. wish they were a bit higher though, removed the bottom washer so i can them looser.
dude they feel weird but I have regular Indy his again with bones medmiums and they feel amazing! Much welcomed change from Thunders.

Also they are mush looser than. My thunders and sill don't get wheel bite.

TheVisitor

• Rep: -12
« Reply #2905 on: November 24, 2017, 04:15:14 PM »

The Team Plates are higher, sucks you can't buy them separately though.

shadow

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2906 on: November 24, 2017, 07:16:07 PM »
Do stock Indy bushings still suck? Got a pair on the way. Want to keep em stock but I might swap them out for aftermarkets if the stocks are still garbage.

chodekaka

« Reply #2907 on: November 24, 2017, 07:20:39 PM »
They are indeed still garbage.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #2908 on: November 25, 2017, 11:09:40 AM »
Do stock Indy bushings still suck? Got a pair on the way. Want to keep em stock but I might swap them out for aftermarkets if the stocks are still garbage.

Pretty much, after market conicals are the best, then bones, then whatever you have experienced
yes

shadow

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2909 on: November 25, 2017, 12:04:40 PM »
thanks boys, aftermarket it is.