Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220707 times)

laramieskate55

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -46
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2850 on: November 22, 2017, 08:42:47 AM »
Has anyone tried venture v-lights 5.2 high or thunder lights 147 high? I'm currently riding classic indy's but am looking to switch things up. I like the look of the ventures more, but I'm not sure how the ventures and thunders compare.

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2851 on: November 22, 2017, 10:26:02 AM »
Has anyone tried venture v-lights 5.2 high or thunder lights 147 high? I'm currently riding classic indy's but am looking to switch things up. I like the look of the ventures more, but I'm not sure how the ventures and thunders compare.
Accidentally bought the venture lights instead of regular but they're the 5.8 ones I think. Whatever is for 8.5 boards but I had always skated Thunders before this pair of Ventures. It seems like Ventures feel more stable even when I have them super loose. Kinda like if I'm trying to skate two ledges back to back and have to swerve quickly they feel really stable. Thunders would always turn on a dime and snap back to place pretty quickly but when I had them super loose I feel like it could get kinda hectic skating those same ledges. Also you gotta take into account the Venture baseplate. It makes putting your front two bolts on kinda awkward and annoying. I have an Antihero GT 8.62 board right now and I noticed the baseplate goes like past the concave of the board its fucking weird. May go back to Thunders after this pair of Ventures

Diocletian

« Reply #2852 on: November 22, 2017, 05:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies on the Krux, fellas. I found that old thread talking about Krux releasing an 8.25” truck and lots of people said they have an underrated and nice turn. I don’t know why they intrigue me, but I guess I get bored with the same gear and like trying to switch it up. Krux seems like they may be the only one I can play it safe with and not feel too ‘kook’y riding them instead of Ace or any of the other top dog truck companies. And they offer forged baseplates so that’s a plus.

chodekaka

« Reply #2853 on: November 22, 2017, 05:54:42 PM »
What makes a truck “kooky” or not?

chodekaka

« Reply #2854 on: November 22, 2017, 05:57:11 PM »
Sick these ones come with stickered grills! Krux also gave a YouTuber (Garret Ginner) a pro model truck. Not trying to hate on Krux, just don’t understand the classification of kooky or not.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 05:59:52 PM by chodekaka »

laramieskate55

• Rep: -46
« Reply #2855 on: November 22, 2017, 07:42:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Accidentally bought the venture lights instead of regular but they're the 5.8 ones I think. Whatever is for 8.5 boards but I had always skated Thunders before this pair of Ventures. It seems like Ventures feel more stable even when I have them super loose. Kinda like if I'm trying to skate two ledges back to back and have to swerve quickly they feel really stable. Thunders would always turn on a dime and snap back to place pretty quickly but when I had them super loose I feel like it could get kinda hectic skating those same ledges. Also you gotta take into account the Venture baseplate. It makes putting your front two bolts on kinda awkward and annoying. I have an Antihero GT 8.62 board right now and I noticed the baseplate goes like past the concave of the board its fucking weird. May go back to Thunders after this pair of Ventures
Yeah I hear that thunders have a really quick response, which might be nice compared to the surfy turns of indy's. I just like the way ventures look more. I figured that because venture and thunder are both made by deluxe that they would be pretty similar, but I don't know.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2856 on: November 22, 2017, 09:03:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Yeah I hear that thunders have a really quick response, which might be nice compared to the surfy turns of indy's. I just like the way ventures look more. I figured that because venture and thunder are both made by deluxe that they would be pretty similar, but I don't know.

Way different, ventures are very ehhhhh but thunders are good eh. Not a smooth carvy kinda loose Indy type truck but a nice stiff-ish quick response return to center turn wise and pop wise truck for getting clean tricks done fast
yes

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #2857 on: November 22, 2017, 11:32:33 PM »
Hey Truck nerds

What the hell is a 'surfy turn?' I surf as much as I skate but I can't really tell you why Indy is 'surfier' than Thunder. I think you could be talking out of your arses.

chodekaka

« Reply #2858 on: November 22, 2017, 11:45:06 PM »
Hey Truck nerds

What the hell is a 'surfy turn?' I surf as much as I skate but I can't really tell you why Indy is 'surfier' than Thunder. I think you could be talking out of your arses.
Thunders when you initiate the turn they immediatly turn snappy but then that’s it they bottom out. Very precision oriented, with a surfy truck like Indy, you start to turn slowly (relative to venture or thunder) and then towards the end (maximum lean from your body) they whip around, then you have ace which feels bottomless, I feel like I could fall off my board leaning hard before getting wheelbite. So it kind of comes down to the performance of the truck as it executes a turn. Does it do well in the beginning (venture) or does it really carve deep at the end (ace or independent). Thunder would be sort of a middle ground. Another way to feel this, if you lean deep in ventures backside standing still you reach a point where they lockout and the frontside wheels raise off the ground a bit. The amount of force it takes to do that (way more for Indy’s) directly correlates to how deep they can carve and how they will perform that turn. This is a shitty drawing of a birds eye view obviously exaggerated a bit. Thunder would be a middle ground between these. But bushings and washers can also change performance a bit within reasonable limits, however this is purely from the standpoint of only truck geometry all other factors equal.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:04:59 AM by chodekaka »

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #2859 on: November 23, 2017, 12:15:40 AM »
Sure. I understand how trucks turn differently but what makes Indy or Ace more like surfing?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:17:18 AM by Lee Ralph Fan Club »

chodekaka

« Reply #2860 on: November 23, 2017, 12:34:51 AM »
Sure. I understand how trucks turn differently but what makes Indy or Ace more like surfing?
I would assume big smooth carves is like “sidewalk surfing” being able to turn back and forth like surfing a wave, the way a surfboard cuts through the water with less friction than wheels on a sidewalk happens to feel and look similar, I’m
Sure there’s some marketing in there as well, Indy’s were made in the era that remembers “sidewalk surfing” so people probably associated the way Indy’s and trackers turned in a bowl with being surfy the bowls people skated were just endless waves they wanted a truck to surf those waves, and the performance had to be predictable and in a certain way to replicate what people were doing on waves in a pool, they weren’t designed at a time with ledges and flatbars it was pools and coping pretty sure grosso says in one episode of love letters it was the surfy turn of tracker with the grinding ability of gullwing and that’s what Indy was designed around . If you know how they turn differently what’s the issue here? It’s not talking out of the ass if there’s a real difference in how they turn and one feels more like surfing.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 12:38:32 AM by chodekaka »

Diocletian

« Reply #2861 on: November 23, 2017, 06:19:37 AM »
Yeah, I guess I was lame for saying certain trucks can be ‘kook’y. Everyone has their personal preference and it should be respected. I just can’t help thinking when I look at certain trucks that they not only look ugly as hell, but they will turn like shit. Those Krux with all those horrible graphics are enough to make me not want to buy even the raw silvers lol.

chodekaka

« Reply #2862 on: November 23, 2017, 08:13:05 AM »
Yeah, I guess I was lame for saying certain trucks can be ‘kook’y. Everyone has their personal preference and it should be respected. I just can’t help thinking when I look at certain trucks that they not only look ugly as hell, but they will turn like shit. Those Krux with all those horrible graphics are enough to make me not want to buy even the raw silvers lol.
After watching Manny Santiago pretty much go through his entire career skating handrails and stairs on tensor magnesium lows the shittiest, exploding, truck I have ever tried they truly make your setup feel like a slab that leans side to side a bit but doesn’t actually turn. I don’t even know what to think anymore. But yeah no hate I know what you mean just playing, krux has their fair share of kookiness they even sell on Andy Schrocks online store “shred quarters” and they have trucks with a cartoon of a dog taking a shit on them. Krux are quality though, and their forged baseplates are very nice and shaped with a curved edge that apparently is easier on your deck during impacts. The kingpin clearance is also insane so much room.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 08:18:18 AM by chodekaka »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2863 on: November 23, 2017, 10:42:08 AM »
Wanna know how to get out of truck madness?

Just buy the trucks brand new that’s a truck that has worked best for you for the most time and put it on a new deck and just skate it right away no swapping bushings and try not to even adjust the tightness unless it’s actually been oddly stock tightened or something and just shred just skate and don’t think about the stuff just know your a kook if you complain about a brand new setup

That’s what I did

Haven’t been curious or felt the need to re assure my self on what turn style or angle I want for my skating from trucks, just skated everything the way it was out the gate and it’s the best setup I’ve had in a year maybe longer

I just took my brand new deck to the shop, got any thunder hollow lights they had didn’t even care about kooky color ways and plugged them on and didn’t even mess with the tightness and skated the day away and I did better than I have In months with this setup
yes

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #2864 on: November 23, 2017, 11:10:26 AM »

Just buy the trucks brand new that’s a truck that has worked best for you for the most time and put it on a new deck and just skate it right away no swapping bushings and try not to even adjust the tightness unless it’s actually been oddly stock tightened or something and just shred just skate and don’t think about the stuff just know your a kook if you complain about a brand new setup

That’s what I did

Haven’t been curious or felt the need to re assure my self on what turn style or angle I want for my skating from trucks, just skated everything the way it was out the gate and it’s the best setup I’ve had in a year maybe longer

I just took my brand new deck to the shop, got any thunder hollow lights they had didn’t even care about kooky color ways and plugged them on and didn’t even mess with the tightness and skated the day away and I did better than I have In months with this setup

Don't know if I can believe you, Rob.

Haven't you heard the fable of the boy who cried Krux, then Royal, then Minilogo, then Thunder, then Indy Low, then Thunder again?

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2865 on: November 23, 2017, 08:59:32 PM »

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #2866 on: November 24, 2017, 12:59:05 AM »
THERE IS NO ESCAPE.
I tried it, I now have three sets of nearly new trucks.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

gumi

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2867 on: November 24, 2017, 01:01:47 AM »

That’s what I did

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2868 on: November 24, 2017, 10:57:10 AM »
Haha well so far so good for me, I’ve even already started grinding them down so much from only a week of skating

I think you have to want to get out of it to as part of the commitment

I was realizing I wasn’t progressing as well cause I’m never use to 1 setup
yes

FirstBlood82

• Rep: 115
« Reply #2869 on: November 24, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
recently switched from indy (been skating them for a looooong ass time) to thunders 147 Ti Hi, love them so far. wish they were a bit higher though, removed the bottom washer so i can them looser.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #2870 on: November 24, 2017, 03:12:29 PM »
recently switched from indy (been skating them for a looooong ass time) to thunders 147 Ti Hi, love them so far. wish they were a bit higher though, removed the bottom washer so i can them looser.
dude they feel weird but I have regular Indy his again with bones medmiums and they feel amazing! Much welcomed change from Thunders.

Also they are mush looser than. My thunders and sill don't get wheel bite.

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #2871 on: November 24, 2017, 04:15:14 PM »

The Team Plates are higher, sucks you can't buy them separately though.

shadow

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2872 on: November 24, 2017, 07:16:07 PM »
Do stock Indy bushings still suck? Got a pair on the way. Want to keep em stock but I might swap them out for aftermarkets if the stocks are still garbage.

chodekaka

« Reply #2873 on: November 24, 2017, 07:20:39 PM »
They are indeed still garbage.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2874 on: November 25, 2017, 11:09:40 AM »
Do stock Indy bushings still suck? Got a pair on the way. Want to keep em stock but I might swap them out for aftermarkets if the stocks are still garbage.

Pretty much, after market conicals are the best, then bones, then whatever you have experienced
yes

shadow

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2875 on: November 25, 2017, 12:04:40 PM »
thanks boys, aftermarket it is.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
« Reply #2876 on: November 26, 2017, 10:15:13 AM »
some dude gave me a board for free that has some indys that clock in at 9" and have two half circles cut out of the baseplate.
anyone have any idea what stage/year these pups came out?
theyre crusty, but with some affection theyll turn like a champ im sure.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #2877 on: November 26, 2017, 10:23:20 AM »
some dude gave me a board for free that has some indys that clock in at 9" and have two half circles cut out of the baseplate.
anyone have any idea what stage/year these pups came out?
theyre crusty, but with some affection theyll turn like a champ im sure.
can you post a pic? Sounds like an old pair of 169s?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Diocletian

« Reply #2878 on: November 26, 2017, 01:49:44 PM »
Those are stage 9’s and one of the worst stages to come out. The baseplates broke constantly and the turning wasn’t good at all. Clean them and sell them on eBay.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2879 on: November 26, 2017, 08:23:02 PM »
Or just stick em on a cruiser....build up a vintage board...there's lots of decent used stuff out there....