Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220965 times)

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2880 on: November 27, 2017, 08:43:21 AM »
word up thanks for the lowdown my guys
pull an elissa and break my baseplate hah
any insight as to what made the turning not so great?
plenty of after market bushings that could help that i would imagine...

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2881 on: November 28, 2017, 04:37:25 PM »
Made a switch back to my Thunder Ti's with a new board I got a couple weeks ago and after 4-5 sessions I dunno what I was thinking. Don't get me wrong, historically I've probably skated Thunders the most and could grind the ones I have down to the axel if I didnt switch trucks so often, but I just gotta accept the fact that I'm simply better overall riding Theeve's than anything else. Way less wheelbite and a far better lock-in on slides with a turn that's just right on all terrain.

I really only made the switch due to better marketing, as it's way easier to get hyped on Thunder and their team than whatever the fuck Theeve has going on, but at this point it is what it is for me. Once you're locked-in, you never leave the Theeve

tangar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #2882 on: November 28, 2017, 08:24:34 PM »
bruh is that monta ellis in your sig?
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2883 on: November 29, 2017, 07:05:55 AM »
Made a switch back to my Thunder Ti's with a new board I got a couple weeks ago and after 4-5 sessions I dunno what I was thinking. Don't get me wrong, historically I've probably skated Thunders the most and could grind the ones I have down to the axel if I didnt switch trucks so often, but I just gotta accept the fact that I'm simply better overall riding Theeve's than anything else. Way less wheelbite and a far better lock-in on slides with a turn that's just right on all terrain.

I really only made the switch due to better marketing, as it's way easier to get hyped on Thunder and their team than whatever the fuck Theeve has going on, but at this point it is what it is for me. Once you're locked-in, you never leave the Theeve

i still get an itch to skate some thunders every now and then... this helped resist this time around, not because I'm down on Thunder or anything (probably skated them longer than any other truck), but just because I don't want to go through the whole 'breaking in new trucks' phase and I havent been going crazy over truck stuff since I settled on Indys with the orange aftermarket conical bushings.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 07:07:38 AM by art hellman »
hardly art, hardly starving

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #2884 on: November 29, 2017, 09:23:59 AM »
Thought I had settled on Indys again. I've skated them probably 30 years and 1 year of random Venture and Thunder (time combined of course). BUT .. I watched some Busenitz and remembered that sweet pop of Thunder kickflips (which I've rambled about in this thread). Thus ... a new pair of Thunder hi 147 on their way to me. :P I suppose I feel this loyalty/obligation to Indy for having used them all those years (from 86-2003 mostly then hated stage 9 100% , 10 was so-so, 11 is better) but my wife actually gave me good advice (she knows I have truck madness): "just use what works good for you now and don't think about it". And well thats Thunder. As far as "don't think about it" though ... I wish! I'd love to have this madness solved, know what I will use and not have to think about it. Had that comfort of never thinking about it until stage 9... what a nice feeling that was ha

ducky darnsworth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -113
  • personal text
« Reply #2885 on: November 29, 2017, 09:36:53 AM »
ive been skating theeves alot lately, i have not been this comfortable with a pair of trucks in years i think, i dont have to crank that shit down to not have wheelbite and i can actually turn, theyre not clunky and loose like how i remember skating indys, im not regretting my purchase thankfully otherwise i would have wasted $40

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #2886 on: November 30, 2017, 06:09:45 PM »
ive been skating theeves alot lately, i have not been this comfortable with a pair of trucks in years i think, i dont have to crank that shit down to not have wheelbite and i can actually turn, theyre not clunky and loose like how i remember skating indys, im not regretting my purchase thankfully otherwise i would have wasted $40

Any Theeve guys:  When you take them apart to you see any wear/shiny spots on the kingpin and that oval yoke that would indicate that they are actually bearing on each other when you are turning?

If you don't want to take em apart just to check I'll understand.  Thanks.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #2887 on: December 02, 2017, 02:43:13 AM »
I know most of you will think I’m crazy but I just got some orange medium Indy after markets (conical) and after one session I couldn’t wait to get home and put my bones mediums back in. The Indy’s felt really good and basically broken in right away and but I just can’t get over how much I like the fact that the bones not only feel broken right away (something I’ve only ever gotten with these and the replacement Indy’s) but they have springiness that allows your truck to feel much more stable, even when fairly loose, compared to other bushings.

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #2888 on: December 02, 2017, 06:34:47 AM »
I know most of you will think I’m crazy but I just got some orange medium Indy after markets (conical) and after one session I couldn’t wait to get home and put my bones mediums back in. The Indy’s felt really good and basically broken in right away and but I just can’t get over how much I like the fact that the bones not only feel broken right away (something I’ve only ever gotten with these and the replacement Indy’s) but they have springiness that allows your truck to feel much more stable, even when fairly loose, compared to other bushings.

I haven't used Bones bushings since they added the small washers to the pack, but Indy aftermarkets are great and they last a lot longer than Bones have for me in the past.  Maybe the durability thing was corrected with the new washers, but Indy aftermarkets have treated me well.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #2889 on: December 02, 2017, 03:11:30 PM »
give them a few days and they will get better. but i know what youre talking about, indy stage 10s with bones bushings was pretty much perfect for me with that bouncy feeling youre describing, but ever since indy switched to stage 11s every bones set i had didnt last more than a month. been skating the same aftermarket indys for almost 2 years now and they are still good.

Another thing with stage 11, ive been shredding through pivot cups like never before, had 3 or 4 sets and each and everyone of them blew up at the pivot cup. a few hangers lost a few milimeters at the pivot from griding against the baseplate rendereing the truck useless. last two sets i used aftermarket pivot cups and it still happened.
never had problems like that with indys before stage 11s. i skate 129s and with the average board size now being 8+ i think maybe they designed stage 11s for wider boards and the 129 version is not as good, my friends who skate 139 dont have those issues.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 03:19:34 PM by eranka »

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #2890 on: December 02, 2017, 03:25:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I haven't used Bones bushings since they added the small washers to the pack, but Indy aftermarkets are great and they last a lot longer than Bones have for me in the past.  Maybe the durability thing was corrected with the new washers, but Indy aftermarkets have treated me well.

That's the main reason I stay away from bones bushings, I've heard too many reports of them falling apart.

franc

• Rep: 96
« Reply #2891 on: December 03, 2017, 03:56:29 AM »
I'm a big guy and skate my trucks kinda tight, with risers, in order to not get wheel bite all the time.
I have three set ups, two with 139s and one with 149s. And I only skate 52s.

It gets well cold here during winter and my bushings get harder when I'm out skating these days, making my trucks feel really weird, far too tight.
Are there any bushings that would work better than the original ones I got in my Indies under these circumstances? I could bring my skate tool to the session but I don't want to loosen and or tighten my trucks every 3 minutes.

What would you guys do? Thanks in advance!

franc

« Reply #2892 on: December 03, 2017, 12:34:33 PM »
I switch to softer bushings in the winter. I'm on Thunders now so in my case I usually skate their 94A bushings in warmer seasons then in colder seasons I go back to their stock 90A ones. Keeps things more consistent. So, whichever Indy bushings you're skating, try buying some aftermarkets that are a bit softer. If you skate the stock orange cylinder (90A) try going down to the red cylinder (88A) or even the white cylinder (78A). Alternatively you could try the same hardness but switch from cylinder to conical. I used to skate Bones Bushings but in my experience they got too hard in the winter and often blew out or the hard center would separate from the outer portion so if you experiment with those it could get a bit expensive. Hope that helps!

This helps for sure, thank you very much!

What is the difference between cylinder and conical bushings? How is this going to affect my skating..?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2893 on: December 03, 2017, 02:04:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Any Theeve guys:  When you take them apart to you see any wear/shiny spots on the kingpin and that oval yoke that would indicate that they are actually bearing on each other when you are turning?

If you don't want to take em apart just to check I'll understand.  Thanks.

I'll check.....

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2894 on: December 03, 2017, 04:56:53 PM »
Thought I had settled on Indys again. I've skated them probably 30 years and 1 year of random Venture and Thunder (time combined of course). BUT .. I watched some Busenitz and remembered that sweet pop of Thunder kickflips (which I've rambled about in this thread). Thus ... a new pair of Thunder hi 147 on their way to me. :P I suppose I feel this loyalty/obligation to Indy for having used them all those years (from 86-2003 mostly then hated stage 9 100% , 10 was so-so, 11 is better) but my wife actually gave me good advice (she knows I have truck madness): "just use what works good for you now and don't think about it". And well thats Thunder. As far as "don't think about it" though ... I wish! I'd love to have this madness solved, know what I will use and not have to think about it. Had that comfort of never thinking about it until stage 9... what a nice feeling that was ha

I switched to thunder after 20+ years on indy, took slap's advice, broke in the bushings properly and now I have so much fun on them; no switching out 17 parts and replacing washers or lubing pivot cups with the vaginal secretions from sacrificed virgins on the night of the crescent moon to make them skateable

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

franc

« Reply #2895 on: December 04, 2017, 01:23:10 AM »
Conicals give a steeper/sharper turn but can cause wheel bite easier. I'd try the softer cylinders first.

Thanks a lot!  :)

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2896 on: December 04, 2017, 12:24:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I switched to thunder after 20+ years on indy, took slap's advice, broke in the bushings properly and now I have so much fun on them; no switching out 17 parts and replacing washers or lubing pivot cups with the vaginal secretions from sacrificed virgins on the night of the crescent moon to make them skateable

The last Thunders I had broke in .
 In 3 sessions I think? Just cruising around. And I thought they were awesome. I think I had some blind loyalty to Indy but I should have let that go when they made stage 9. Those made me extremely angry. I tried thunder in 2006 and was shocked as to how good they were but I didn't want to change nor admit it. I'm ready this time! Those thunder kickflips feel so right

gumi

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2897 on: December 04, 2017, 02:20:01 PM »

Really fancying these. Would leave 100% alone, just mount, break in and skate to fuck. Temptations ...

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2898 on: December 04, 2017, 02:33:30 PM »
The white bushings are key imo

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2899 on: December 04, 2017, 09:15:28 PM »
 In 3 sessions I think? Just cruising around. And I thought they were awesome. I think I had some blind loyalty to Indy but I should have let that go when they made stage 9. Those made me extremely angry. I tried thunder in 2006 and was shocked as to how good they were but I didn't want to change nor admit it. I'm ready this time! Those thunder kickflips feel so right
yeah 3 sessions and they were ready to rock. indy hasn't made good trucks (or at least trucks that you could just run stock with no hassles) since stage 7 imo and that's a long time ago. I was loyal too but it's just not worth it these days. Love the way thunders handle! kinda ACE curious too tbh...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2900 on: December 04, 2017, 10:14:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yeah 3 sessions and they were ready to rock. indy hasn't made good trucks (or at least trucks that you could just run stock with no hassles) since stage 7 imo and that's a long time ago. I was loyal too but it's just not worth it these days. Love the way thunders handle! kinda ACE curious too tbh...

I feel I’ve gotten out of truck madness cause reading these posts about the hassle on people’s trucks makes me chuckle, cause really in the end just ride what you know works best and feels best

I’ve been sticking to my thunders and they’ve been justice

I don’t even care they they’re colored/not raw

Stick to the thunders it’s not worth it to try ace if you like thunders, they’re more of a kind sorta upgraded Indy , deeper turning than Indy but still stable. Not as stable as Indy’s but Indy’s don’t turn as well. Thunders are just right if you need to pop fast turn quick and want more flip trickability. You can do every trick on any truck but thunders makes it easier to flip and flop your deck with it’s flexible but stable geometry
yes

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #2901 on: December 04, 2017, 10:34:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's the main reason I stay away from bones bushings, I've heard too many reports of them falling apart.

I’ve never had any issues with bones in stage 11s and I am bigger guy.

However, I ride my trucks fairly loose and skate pretty low impact shit (like the yep of shit you usually see Beagle skating) so maybe that helps with their longevity.

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2902 on: December 05, 2017, 05:59:22 AM »
Ironically I've caught myself on the Ace site (mostly because I learned that julien rides them and thought that was interesting) but I'm pretty happy with my thunder decision. I want to know control right know

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #2903 on: December 05, 2017, 06:19:31 AM »
Just remember guys that Aces are gonna be rather stiff at first but once the bushings are broken in, they’re heavenly! 😊

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #2904 on: December 05, 2017, 07:04:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I feel I’ve gotten out of truck madness cause reading these posts about the hassle on people’s trucks makes me chuckle, cause really in the end just ride what you know works best and feels best

Stick to the thunders it’s not worth it to try ace if you like thunders, they’re more of a kind sorta upgraded Indy , deeper turning than Indy but still stable. Not as stable as Indy’s but Indy’s don’t turn as well. Thunders are just right if you need to pop fast turn quick and want more flip trickability. You can do every trick on any truck but thunders makes it easier to flip and flop your deck with it’s flexible but stable geometry

I get that truck height & weight (along with probably wheel size) will likely play a role in how a board responds.

Is this the general consensus though- Thunder's offer improved/better flipping, based on geometry?

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2905 on: December 05, 2017, 11:21:01 AM »
Quote from: Gay Imp Sausage Metal

Expand Quote
[close]

Forgot to acknowledge this before but it made me laugh. When my new ones show up I plan to not tighten... just 3 sessions without changing anything

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2906 on: December 05, 2017, 05:57:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

I get that truck height & weight (along with probably wheel size) will likely play a role in how a board responds.

Is this the general consensus though- Thunder's offer improved/better flipping, based on geometry?

I feel like it is because the way the hangar is pushed out more than in like Indy’s gives you a faster pop up and response so you get a faster response to trying tricks
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #2907 on: December 06, 2017, 11:35:09 PM »
If you are riding thunders and you are thinking Ace.....the correct answer is Indy....

imad

• Rep: -167
« Reply #2908 on: December 07, 2017, 12:59:46 AM »
If you are riding any truck besides raw Indy's, or raw Thunders which barely get a pass...you eat the shit of a gay twink.

Nallid

• Rep: -14
« Reply #2909 on: December 07, 2017, 01:59:01 AM »
Venture needs to make the 5.8 hollows again.