Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220800 times)

NJFly318

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2910 on: December 07, 2017, 04:04:30 AM »
Venture needs to make the 5.8 hollows again.

And please make them raw or polished only!!!

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #2911 on: December 07, 2017, 07:51:14 AM »
How's this retardation:
My 2 setups are:

This is my Nostalgia/"keeping it core bro" setup:

JK Industries 8.0 w/Indy standard 139s Spitfire 52s and Swiss. BUT shoes must be my Emerica Reynolds G6 to skate this.

And my "getting with the times/ live in the now, Wayne" setup:

Real 8.0 w/Thunder 147 hi Spitfire 52s and swiss. BUT i must wear my Adidas Busenitz to skate this.

The battle between my old style and new style is real (in my head)

Trying to move on from the 1998 me , but the JK graphic is an old Birdhouse one and I "had to" have Indys and Emericas (ps: reynolds shoe rules) for that style to be "complete ". So that whole deal is trying to recapture something. Cant turn off the crazy.

Other setup is just "hey this is cool" and I feel sane with it. Ha

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2912 on: December 07, 2017, 01:01:01 PM »
Seriously if you think Colored trucks are gay your not skating, your just posing

yes

Enrico Pallazzo

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 200
« Reply #2913 on: December 07, 2017, 02:24:42 PM »

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2914 on: December 07, 2017, 04:34:26 PM »
^ Hahah that fuckin got me.. +1 for you sir

Nallid

• Rep: -14
« Reply #2915 on: December 07, 2017, 09:44:48 PM »
I picked up the new thunder titanium team 149s.  They're supposed to have 99du bushings, but these things feel just as soft as the old translucent yellow ones, and I think they were only 90. 

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2916 on: December 07, 2017, 10:10:24 PM »
Is this the general consensus though- Thunder's offer improved/better flipping, based on geometry?

It depends on how you like your flip and pop to "work." Indys, esp. the standard 55mm Indys, are a lot taller than Thunders (inc., the new Team thunders, which are 1mm taller than standard Thunders). The result of that is a steeper angle on the the ollie/nollie, thus making them more powerful. There is some video with Prof. Schmitt and Spencer Nuzzi which explains the physics of it. So, as the theory goes, Indys will give you a higher pop than Thunders due to their height.

On the flip side (pun intended), with a lower truck, the tail hits sooner, thus allowing you start the flip on the board (e.g. kickflip, nollie flip, etc.) sooner. Is that better? It all depends on what you like. 

One issue I have with Thunders is how short the outer end of their baseplates are. Take a pair of Thunders and put a 53mm wheel on them, and push them against a wall; the WHEELS will hit the wall, and the end of the baseplate WILL NOT TOUCH. With Indys, the reverse is true (baseplate touches, but wheels do not). So, if you are doing a really locked-in nose/tail slide on Thunders, you need to wax the fuck out of the inside of the ledge BECAUSE THE WHEELS ARE WHAT'S SLIDING. With Indys (or almost any other truck), you can lock-in against the baseplate, and don't have to worry about getting "wheel bite" during the slide. I can nose/tail slide much better on Indys than Thunders, because with Thunders my wheels always "catch," unless there is a stupid amount of wax on the ledge.   

EDIT: I personally think the Stage 11 55mm Indys are too high, and the standard Thunders are too low. 53mm forged Indys, or Thunder Teams...you're in the butter zone.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:16:03 PM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2917 on: December 07, 2017, 10:33:20 PM »
I just took these two pics (see above post). Spitfire 53mm classic shape used on both.

Indys: Wheels do not touch, but baseplate does.

Thunder: Wheels hit, baseplate does not.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2918 on: December 07, 2017, 10:33:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Is this the general consensus though- Thunder's offer improved/better flipping, based on geometry?
[close]

It depends on how you like your flip and pop to "work." Indys, esp. the standard 55mm Indys, are a lot taller than Thunders (inc., the new Team thunders, which are 1mm taller than standard Thunders). The result of that is a steeper angle on the the ollie/nollie, thus making them more powerful. There is some video with Prof. Schmitt and Spencer Nuzzi which explains the physics of it. So, as the theory goes, Indys will give you a higher pop than Thunders due to their height.

On the flip side (pun intended), with a lower truck, the tail hits sooner, thus allowing you start the flip on the board (e.g. kickflip, nollie flip, etc.) sooner. Is that better? It all depends on what you like. 

One issue I have with Thunders is how short the outer end of their baseplates are. Take a pair of Thunders and put a 53mm wheel on them, and push them against a wall; the WHEELS will hit the wall, and the end of the baseplate WILL NOT TOUCH. With Indys, the reverse is true (baseplate touches, but wheels do not). So, if you are doing a really locked-in nose/tail slide on Thunders, you need to wax the fuck out of the inside of the ledge BECAUSE THE WHEELS ARE WHAT'S SLIDING. With Indys (or almost any other truck), you can lock-in against the baseplate, and don't have to worry about getting "wheel bite" during the slide. I can nose/tail slide much better on Indys than Thunders, because with Thunders my wheels always "catch," unless there is a stupid amount of wax on the ledge.   

EDIT: I personally think the Stage 11 55mm Indys are too high, and the standard Thunders are too low. 53mm forged Indys, or Thunder Teams...you're in the butter zone.

The effect is true, but the reason isn't solely due to that. It's not just that the baseplate is short, but rather the geometry of Thunders. The hangar/axle is pushed out, extending the wheelbase and thus causing the wheels to touch the ledge before the baseplate. An easy solution without changing the geometry would be for them to just extend the baseplate a bit, which would obviously cost a bit more for them to make. The extended wheelbase isn't necessarily bad though, provides more stability, like a board with a longer wheelbase would.

Another thing to keep in mind when it comes to the way trucks affect your flip and pop, besides just the height, is whether the way the hangar/axle is positioned extends, maintains or shrinks your wheelbase. If we use Indys as the standard, then Thunders extend the wheelbase and Aces shrink it.

Another effect that this axle to axle distance between the trucks has is the turning radius. Given the same tightness and board wheelbase, trucks that shrink your wheelbase should have a sharper turn than ones that extend it. I'm guessing this could contribute to the sentiment that Ace's have a supposedly surfy and quick turn, whereas people generally seem to say Thunders zig zag, or tilt, rather than make smooth s shaped carves, though there are other more complicated factors to consider.

This, along with the length/steepness your tail is, as well as the distance between the mounting holes and where the kick of your tail begins all have effects of varying magnitude on the way your setup pops. It's all about what you personally prefer. That being said, if you don't have complaints about what you're skating, just don't think about it and skate.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:36:13 PM by tzhangdox »

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2919 on: December 07, 2017, 10:43:34 PM »
It's not just that the baseplate is short, but rather the geometry of Thunders.
Thunders have a weird hole pattern/baseplate configuration. Take a Thunder baseplate, and hold it against almost any other baseplate (so that mountain hardware holes line up), and you will see how much shorter their baseplates are on the front end. Likewise, try to mount thunders with any standard riser/shock pad, and their will be large portion of the riser/shock pad sticking out from the front of the baseplate; this isn't because the axle/hanger is moved forward, it's because the baseplate is short on the front end (compared with other trucks).

And of course, all that other stuff you mentioned about (truck) wheel base, pocket on the deck, etc. are all factors in how "pop" works...but I wasn't trying to get too technical when addressing the question the other guy asked. :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:46:24 PM by Sedition »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2920 on: December 07, 2017, 10:50:15 PM »
Expand Quote
It's not just that the baseplate is short, but rather the geometry of Thunders.
[close]
Thunders have a weird hole pattern/baseplate configuration. Take a Thunder baseplate, and hold it against almost any other baseplate (so that mountain hardware holes line up), and you will see how much shorter their baseplates are on the front end. Likewise, try to mount thunders with any standard riser/shock pad, and their will be large portion of the riser/shock pad sticking out from the front of the baseplate; this isn't because the axle/hanger is moved forward, it's because the baseplate is short on the front end.

And of course, all that other stuff you mentioned about (truck) wheel base, pocket on the deck, etc. are all factors in how "pop" works...but I wasn't trying to get too technical when addressing the question the other guy asked. :)

Yeah definitely, wasn't trying to start an argument, just noting that truck height is far from the only factor that determines the way a skateboard pops, and that there are other things to consider. Also you're right, just took a look at some old Thunder 149 baseplates and compared them to the baseplates of my ace 44s and 55s and the baseplate is indeed shorter. Didn't notice that before. I guess the wheelbase extension combined with the shrunken baseplate definitely creates more wheel friction. Funny thing is, I had never noticed any of this when I skated my 149s until I read this thread, when will the madness end.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #2921 on: December 08, 2017, 09:02:40 AM »
quick Q: Do krux downlow kingpins grind any differently than normal ones? I came across this caswell post where he states in the comments that he hates the way they grind compared to standardized ones, which is weird cause I thought the point of them was not to touch down on grinds.

Caution: some teeth rattling cacophony
https://www.instagram.com/p/BY1hTW7jymx/?taken-by=caswellberry

chodekaka

« Reply #2922 on: December 08, 2017, 01:03:58 PM »
quick Q: Do krux downlow kingpins grind any differently than normal ones? I came across this caswell post where he states in the comments that he hates the way they grind compared to standardized ones, which is weird cause I thought the point of them was not to touch down on grinds.

Where does he say that in the comments?

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2923 on: December 08, 2017, 05:53:50 PM »
Dumb question but my new Thunders got here (147 hi) and they have blue bushings? Reason I'm confused, my last ones had the yellow transparent ones? Is blue the normal now?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2924 on: December 08, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »

It’s not about how they grind, it’s about the way the krux or any trucks with an upside down kingpin feel, because the pin isn’t securely snug as balls in the socket when you carve and zig zag around you feel this twitch kinda unstable feel to your turns, like the kingpin is working in the turns too by just the hangar on the bushings

I tried to ride krux downlows and even with the forged plates they still got that shifted/loose kingpin feel
yes

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2925 on: December 08, 2017, 05:58:48 PM »
Dumb question but my new Thunders got here (147 hi) and they have blue bushings? Reason I'm confused, my last ones had the yellow transparent ones? Is blue the normal now?

No, they just put the bushing color that goes with the design really, besides the exception on that all there premium truck(usually painted, lights, hollow lights and titanium’s) that get the nice softer 90 white ones

My 148 came with orange, standard 147 and 149 cane with yellow, old 147 black/raw had black bushings, and my recent suciu hollow lights came with the premium white
yes

Nallid

« Reply #2926 on: December 08, 2017, 06:01:26 PM »
Are the baseplates black?

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2927 on: December 08, 2017, 06:08:23 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All silver. Polished 147s

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #2928 on: December 08, 2017, 06:16:05 PM »

I cant remember what skateshop I ordered my Ventures from but I ordered 5.8's and they ended up being the hollows. I'm skating them right now so it wasn't too long ago either. Could've been old stock but maybe they still do make them?

Edit: just remembered where I got them but I checked the site and they didnt have any Ventures at all that could fit an 8.5 board ://
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:34:27 PM by yatallfreak »

chodekaka

« Reply #2929 on: December 08, 2017, 06:58:20 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

All silver. Polished 147s
Same thing just happened to me with team 149 plain usually have yellow bushings but they are blue. Must have changed or something, I asked before buying them and the guy seemed to think that was normal and he’d seen blue ones before. One also had a mismatched pivot cup, and the hangar would not sit straight. And they have axle slip already. I was thinking they were fake thunders or something but the shop I bought them at I trust and I didn’t want to go back and say anything so I just threw the hangars on old forged baseplates. Still have axle slip though.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 07:01:14 PM by chodekaka »

chodekaka

« Reply #2930 on: December 08, 2017, 07:15:12 PM »

Looks like this right

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2931 on: December 08, 2017, 07:41:28 PM »

Looks like this right

Yep! I guess I expected yellow like last time so I kinda hit the panic button

Nallid

« Reply #2932 on: December 08, 2017, 11:26:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I cant remember what skateshop I ordered my Ventures from but I ordered 5.8's and they ended up being the hollows. I'm skating them right now so it wasn't too long ago either. Could've been old stock but maybe they still do make them?

Edit: just remembered where I got them but I checked the site and they didnt have any Ventures at all that could fit an 8.5 board ://
I emailed DLX, they told me they're not in production anymore.  It's a shame, but I guess they're focused on the smaller set up market.

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #2933 on: December 10, 2017, 03:47:46 PM »
Anyone know why my front truck would be rattling really loud? I'm skating the inverted kingpin royals. I took the kingpin out to change the bushings over and when I put it back in and started skating there is this really loud rattle? The turn is fine the sound is just annoying.

Btw the trucks, in general, are much better than expected, I would happily stick with this set for another year or so if I can lose this noise.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2934 on: December 10, 2017, 05:05:02 PM »
Anyone know why my front truck would be rattling really loud? I'm skating the inverted kingpin royals. I took the kingpin out to change the bushings over and when I put it back in and started skating there is this really loud rattle? The turn is fine the sound is just annoying.

Btw the trucks, in general, are much better than expected, I would happily stick with this set for another year or so if I can lose this noise.
sounds like a loose kingpin could be the reason, take the hanger off and see if it jiggles/moves

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #2935 on: December 10, 2017, 06:50:51 PM »
what ever happened to the rounded thunder baseplates we saw a few people rocking like gerwer and ishod?
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2936 on: December 11, 2017, 08:58:23 PM »
what ever happened to the rounded thunder baseplates we saw a few people rocking like gerwer and ishod?

Still under R&D probably

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2937 on: December 11, 2017, 09:06:37 PM »
Expand Quote
We’re almost to page 100!
[close]

We'll be at 200 pages by mid-next year if our little buddy Robby keeps posting.

Ah ah ah maybe, idk I’ve been slowly growing out of the madness ever since finding out my shoe size and getting shoes that actually fit therefore finding a better feel for my deck and truck size therefore skating better and progressing more sticking to what works than messing around to find the key

So idk...been sticking to thunder 147 for the last month or so and they’ve been doing me so good on a generator/bbs 8.06

Getting the brad cromer feel, but don’t worry slap friends I’m waiting on some destructo lows to restock on skate warehouse and gonna see how those skate since destructo use to be the stuff.

yes

chodekaka

« Reply #2938 on: December 11, 2017, 09:20:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ah ah ah maybe, idk I’ve been slowly growing out of the madness ever since finding out my shoe size and getting shoes that actually fit therefore finding a better feel for my deck and truck size therefore skating better and progressing more sticking to what works than messing around to find the key

So idk...been sticking to thunder 147 for the last month or so and they’ve been doing me so good on a generator/bbs 8.06

Getting the brad cromer feel, but don’t worry slap friends I’m waiting on some destructo lows to restock on skate warehouse and gonna see how those skate since destructo use to be the stuff.
Do you wear size 8 shoes?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2939 on: December 11, 2017, 09:54:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Do you wear size 8 shoes?

Nah I’m a 9/9.5 but I started skating in the 7.5-7.8 deck days and I was a strict 9 then and I think basically obviously since I only went up half a size in shoes I just needed to go from 7.8 to 8.1/8.2 max to keep up with my board feel and progression growing

But I was trying to be a big shoes big dick boy and wore size 10 and messed with 8.25 and up and just degressed cause lack of board feel and control

Anyways, back to trucks do any of you guys wonder how deluxe/ermico came up with how thunders are? Like r&d wise? Cause seriously how are these trucks so good??

They turn just enough, super stable, light and strong.

I know they started out as just Indy’s with a sticker and called thunders but when did they become what they are from 2000-now(typo 199?-now) with the contoured hangars and baseplate style
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 10:03:21 PM by rob »
yes