Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220834 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2940 on: December 11, 2017, 09:58:34 PM »
Also anyone have any experience with doh dohs in Indy’s?
yes

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2941 on: December 12, 2017, 12:07:47 AM »
Is time repeating itself ?

These are thunders from 2002 that look exactly like the thunders we have now called the “remastered 147 II”

So is the new thunder 147 III gonna be the thunders from before? They weren’t bad and actually the old team ones feel lighter than the now team ones and I loved them even though they looked cheap and weird but seriously what’s up

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:14:12 AM by rob »
yes

Diocletian

« Reply #2942 on: December 12, 2017, 08:36:07 AM »
Let us all take a moment of silence for all our brothers and sisters who are dealing with truck madness. We have reached page 100 and shown the world that it’s not easy, but we’re strong as one. *holds back tears*

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #2943 on: December 12, 2017, 09:32:15 AM »
Let us all take a moment of silence for all our brothers and sisters who are dealing with truck madness. We have reached page 100 and shown the world that it’s not easy, but we’re strong as one. *holds back tears*

Many people could be cured of truck madness if Indy lowered the stage 11 by a mm and a half, and if thunder raised everything 1 mm across the board.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2944 on: December 12, 2017, 10:10:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Many people could be cured of truck madness if Indy lowered the stage 11 by a mm and a half, and if thunder raised everything 1 mm across the board.

I agree with the Indy’s not with the thunders, I think they’re at their maximum for the style
yes

Nallid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -14
« Reply #2945 on: December 12, 2017, 10:23:10 AM »
The new team thunder bushings are definitely not 99du btw. Soft, same old wheel bite problems. Bought the aftermarket 94s and they're so much harder.

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2946 on: December 12, 2017, 11:07:06 AM »
I liked the yellow bushings after they mushed in properly. I don't know about this red stuff it's going to throw everything off.

Diocletian

« Reply #2947 on: December 12, 2017, 01:54:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The Indy forged plates are exactly what you’re looking for, then. Yeah, they’re more expensive but I think it’s worth it. I’ve broken a bunch of baseplates and warped cast Indy ones at the pivot from doing slappies. Thunder should be making 53-53.5 tall trucks, I agree. I also agree that the baseplate not going past the hanger for slides is a design flaw.

I don’t know, I tried the forged titanium thunders with a 1/8” riser and the turn really wasn’t much better than Indy’s sluggish turn. I also noticed how even though the hanger metal is the same as an Indy, the Thunders were so sticky on grinds it was unbearable. I could throw on some Indy’s and grind the same rail and they’d glide like butter. It made no sense.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #2948 on: December 12, 2017, 05:27:33 PM »
Makes no sense?  So it's not us?

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #2949 on: December 12, 2017, 11:20:25 PM »

Max Palmer seems to like that combo.

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2017/01/18/the-pro-skaters-guide-to-loose-trucks/

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2950 on: December 12, 2017, 11:28:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Max Palmer seems to like that combo.

Thanks for the heads up nestorkins!! Freaking love Max Palmer!! he rides loose trucks so freaking great, it’s like you don’t expect his trucks to be so loose with those clean flip tricks then you notice here and there that front truck wobbles so much it’s insane

But how do doh doh compare to bones and Indy bushings?

I noticed almost half the Indy riders use bones mediums or whatever and I thought what about doh dohs?? One of shortys outstanding products besides hardware and black panther bearings
yes

shadow

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2951 on: December 13, 2017, 10:13:25 AM »
you guys who think indys are too tall...how does max manage to skate them with 1/4" risers in the 917 video? By my calculations that's a little over 60mm tall. kinda wanna try that with soft or super soft aftermarkets.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #2952 on: December 13, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
you guys who think indys are too tall...how does max manage to skate them with 1/4" risers in the 917 video? By my calculations that's a little over 60mm tall. kinda wanna try that with soft or super soft aftermarkets.

There's no rule that your truck setup has to be a certain height to skate, eric winkowski rides pretty tall too. Its all preference, Stage 11s with 55mm wheels is the tallest I can go without feeling outta wack.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The Indy forged plates are exactly what you’re looking for, then. Yeah, they’re more expensive but I think it’s worth it. I’ve broken a bunch of baseplates and warped cast Indy ones at the pivot from doing slappies. Thunder should be making 53-53.5 tall trucks, I agree. I also agree that the baseplate not going past the hanger for slides is a design flaw.

I don’t know, I tried the forged titanium thunders with a 1/8” riser and the turn really wasn’t much better than Indy’s sluggish turn. I also noticed how even though the hanger metal is the same as an Indy, the Thunders were so sticky on grinds it was unbearable. I could throw on some Indy’s and grind the same rail and they’d glide like butter. It made no sense.

Cool! I just went to check em out, I didn't know there was that much of a difference in height. I gotta get my hands on some.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:26:39 AM by JusticeAbberdash »

chodekaka

« Reply #2953 on: December 13, 2017, 03:00:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There's no rule that your truck setup has to be a certain height to skate, eric winkowski rides pretty tall too. Its all preference, Stage 11s with 55mm wheels is the tallest I can go without feeling outta wack.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Cool! I just went to check em out, I didn't know there was that much of a difference in height. I gotta get my hands on some.
I have some forged baseplates I could send you for free if you want.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #2954 on: December 13, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Really? That would be pretty righteous! I'll send you something too, I've got a good amount of spare bits around.. Anything you've been looking for?

Diocletian

« Reply #2955 on: December 13, 2017, 05:28:21 PM »
Just saying, although Ace’s aren’t a forged baseplate, they’re 53mm tall and turn better than Indy or Thunder, so if you haven’t tried them I recommend them, Abberdash.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #2956 on: December 13, 2017, 05:39:20 PM »
Just saying, although Ace’s aren’t a forged baseplate, they’re 53mm tall and turn better than Indy or Thunder, so if you haven’t tried them I recommend them, Abberdash.

I gave Aces a good chance, they're just not for me. Although I agree the turn is perfect, they shorten the wheelbase too much. Plus I never felt stable at high speeds like I do on indy or thunder.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #2957 on: December 13, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »
Can we get Daewon to explain his truck set up? I've seen a video of him talking about his trucks and it sounded pretty intense. I don't think he uses bushings on his front truck.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #2958 on: December 13, 2017, 09:14:24 PM »
Can we get Daewon to explain his truck set up? I've seen a video of him talking about his trucks and it sounded pretty intense. I don't think he uses bushings on his front truck.

chodekaka

« Reply #2959 on: December 13, 2017, 09:22:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Really? That would be pretty righteous! I'll send you something too, I've got a good amount of spare bits around.. Anything you've been looking for?
Naw don’t worry about it I’m not really looking for anything. Just have too much shit from truck madness and hate seeing it sit around going to waste so I always like to send it out or give it away to make myself feel better about being greedy and needlessly buying trucks like a psychopath. I blame rob he almost made me buy minilogo trucks once, when I told the dude at my skate shop all the pros I had heard about them from rob they denied it all and spared me. Destructo D2 are pretty sweet though. I just went and bought brand new thunders not worrying about any kooky colours just set them up and skate and guess why? Freaking rob told me to and he makes it sound so good. Just dm me your shipping address.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:27:21 PM by chodekaka »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #2960 on: December 13, 2017, 10:45:15 PM »
Theeves.....definitely theeves.....

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #2961 on: December 14, 2017, 10:41:07 AM »
Theeves.....definitely theeves.....

I've been locked into my theeves for a while now, stock bottoms (they're taller than bones and even stock thunders and that's without a washer) bones soft tops + bottom and top washers; kingpin is long, I'm way more threads showing than on other trucks.

Anyway, surfy, turny yet stable. I do have some truck wobble/looseness in the pivot area due to how loose I ride but the wobble is obviously only off the board. Really digging them.

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #2962 on: December 14, 2017, 11:26:11 AM »
Maybe b/c its so cold but I can't get my Thunders or Indys to turn the way I like. So I'm currently stuck on Ace. Currently on 44s, Krux bushings on an 8.75" board. Full Magic Carpet and loving it.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2963 on: December 14, 2017, 12:53:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Naw don’t worry about it I’m not really looking for anything. Just have too much shit from truck madness and hate seeing it sit around going to waste so I always like to send it out or give it away to make myself feel better about being greedy and needlessly buying trucks like a psychopath. I blame rob he almost made me buy minilogo trucks once, when I told the dude at my skate shop all the pros I had heard about them from rob they denied it all and spared me. Destructo D2 are pretty sweet though. I just went and bought brand new thunders not worrying about any kooky colours just set them up and skate and guess why? Freaking rob told me to and he makes it sound so good. Just dm me your shipping address.

The thunders are still good in my books, they’ve been doing so good for me. My awesome white and blue suciu hollow lights

The mini logos are good, just they’re kinda too low and the kingpins get loose. Overall though they’re good, for a low truck that’s light, turns well, and responds well

Destructo d2 are good? How do you know?

Giving my ole 139 forged hollow Indy’s a try for giggles and so far they’re not all that great like everyone says, they turn well and feel good but pop response is too tall and lags by half a second or whole second

Thunders are best
yes

Sandboxcop

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2964 on: December 14, 2017, 02:05:45 PM »
Just switched out my hollow indy 149's for thunder ti light 149's, what a world of difference. Stock tightness is perfect and pop response is on the money. Flip tricks just feel right, and the bushings aren't all noisy and shit

chodekaka

« Reply #2965 on: December 14, 2017, 02:30:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

The thunders are still good in my books, they’ve been doing so good for me. My awesome white and blue suciu hollow lights

The mini logos are good, just they’re kinda too low and the kingpins get loose. Overall though they’re good, for a low truck that’s light, turns well, and responds well

Destructo d2 are good? How do you know?

Giving my ole 139 forged hollow Indy’s a try for giggles and so far they’re not all that great like everyone says, they turn well and feel good but pop response is too tall and lags by half a second or whole second

Thunders are best
1985 boardshop in Victoria Canada stocks destructos, he got some 300 pairs for a deal they have (or had) lows as well I know you’ve been looking for that but the shipping probably would not be worth it if you’re American. I tried the D2 lites and they weren’t bad at all similar feel to a silver M class, they advertise everything as aircraft grade aluminum and apparently they have a similar warranty as independents. I just felt they were a bit too high for me, and fabrizio santos was the only reason I bought destructos anyways. They actually are well made trucks I just like the aesthetic of thunders the best and I think it’s the best overall truck package for me. I just went and purchased 148 titanium teams and have ridden them for a few days now without any adjustments or bushing swaps. I will admit, my guilty pleasure is tensor mag regulars. They are expensive and last for maybe a month but they make skateboarding feel different because of how they slide and how light they are. Like using a Powell flight deck you can do some things differently but they get destroyed quick.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:37:23 PM by chodekaka »

chodekaka

« Reply #2966 on: December 14, 2017, 02:41:13 PM »
No lie this is how they look after the first session. I had to stop buying them.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2967 on: December 14, 2017, 02:41:26 PM »
Yeah so far out of every truck I’ve tried thunders haven’t failed me

Thanks for the heads up, I got some destructo lows on reserve til they restock them on skate warehouse so looking forward to those now

But In the mean time I think I’m gonna stick to my thunders, they seem low but they’re actually on point with the height for my medium tight preference

It’s funny how they mold 147 on the hangars now not just all the bigger sizes
yes

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #2968 on: December 14, 2017, 02:57:38 PM »
Yeah so far out of every truck I’ve tried thunders haven’t failed me

Thanks for the heads up, I got some destructo lows on reserve til they restock them on skate warehouse so looking forward to those now

But In the mean time I think I’m gonna stick to my thunders, they seem low but they’re actually on point with the height for my medium tight preference

It’s funny how they mold 147 on the hangars now not just all the bigger sizes

That seems to be a big factor deciding between indy and thunder these days. I like my thunders medium/medium tight too, and indys seem to feel best loosened up..

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #2969 on: December 14, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »
I tried out my stock thunder 148 today and my only complaint was noseslides felt foreign because my 99a f4 spitfires were sticking and I didn’t want to wax the side of the ledge. Otherwise, they felt nicer than new aces I skated on the same deck. I also relearned switch front boardslide.