Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220575 times)

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #2970 on: December 14, 2017, 09:16:27 PM »
Just got that one on a flatbar....you're set up is looking increasingly normal.....good on ya....

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2971 on: December 14, 2017, 11:54:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Yeah so far out of every truck I’ve tried thunders haven’t failed me

Thanks for the heads up, I got some destructo lows on reserve til they restock them on skate warehouse so looking forward to those now

But In the mean time I think I’m gonna stick to my thunders, they seem low but they’re actually on point with the height for my medium tight preference

It’s funny how they mold 147 on the hangars now not just all the bigger sizes
[close]

That seems to be a big factor deciding between indy and thunder these days. I like my thunders medium/medium tight too, and indys seem to feel best loosened up..

Yeah Indy’s are odd when they don’t have a smooth looseness to them. They’re not the type to have twitchy like thunders
yes

Mr_Friend

• Rep: 1
  • formerly Mr_Friendly
« Reply #2972 on: December 15, 2017, 05:13:00 AM »
I've been skating Thunder 149's for almost 10 years now (since they come out). Switched to the soft bones bushings about 5 years back, never going back to stock. Stopped putting the bottom washer on 2ish years ago, and in the last 6 months lost the top washers as well. Also bumped from 53/54mm to strictly 55mm Formula Fours. Waxing the wheelbite wells has become mandatory each session, but I love how they feel.

Has anyone here jumped from Thunder 149's to 151's? Just curious if there's any noticeable difference, Thanks in advance!

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #2973 on: December 15, 2017, 06:47:31 AM »
149vs the 151
I own both and I ride 8.5 boards I like the 151 because I like the wheels to stick out alittle.
They both are the same height just the 151 turns slightly slower than the 149.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1475
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #2974 on: December 15, 2017, 07:49:05 AM »
Just got that one on a flatbar....you're set up is looking increasingly normal.....good on ya....
Nah, going to pound out kingpin and put in the downlow mod.  Not enough clearance for me.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2975 on: December 16, 2017, 01:49:23 AM »
Update on the 139 Indy forged hollows on an 8.06 krooked: the doh dohs feel way better than the stock or bones(medium and hard) I have the 92a yellow doh doh mediums and I feel the weight scale doh doh uses for finding the right Durometer for your trucks is the perfect guide

I couldn’t figure out which hardness to get and the scale was saying my little 135lb butt should use the yellow and they’re awesome so far on the Indy’s

My thunder 147 hollow lights are still top #1 but ima keep checking these Indy’s out for now and try to figure out why most of you still Love Indy’s
yes

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #2976 on: December 16, 2017, 02:58:31 PM »
Scratch that, Indy’s are still trash to me compared to thunders.

My bad again as always slap
yes

Masta3spinna

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2977 on: December 20, 2017, 01:04:11 PM »
Love this subject, and had to join slap because of it. My latest creation I'm working on is the lightest 8.5 width hanger truck I can Frankenstein together which is a theeve tiH hanger i think in size 5.85 with theeve hollow titanium kingpin with Acer racing titanium truck hardware and theeve ti mounting bolts but have not decided on a baseplate. The original theeve one is stupid heavy and the hole point of my creation is lost. What baseplate would be the lightest yet be close to the original geometry theeve had? Thunder forged, independent forged, ace mag baseplate? Any thoughts/input would be awasome.

Masta3spinna

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2978 on: December 20, 2017, 01:15:53 PM »
Regular everyday setup is a Indy ti 144 but riding thunder ti 148 right now with bones hards with flat top and bottom washer for thunders. In indys I'll ride black hard Indy replacement barrel bottoms with bones hards on top. Both around the nut flush with the kingpin. Dont know how you guys use bones softs, they last like a week unless your super light, might as well use life saver gummies.

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #2979 on: December 20, 2017, 04:52:07 PM »
Does anyone have any tips on breaking in Indy's? I'm going to pick up some 149's soon and it's probably been two years since my last pair of new trucks, which I rode with already used bushings. How great are those aftermarket cylinder bushings, and should I grab those at the same time?
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

Sandboxcop

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2980 on: December 20, 2017, 06:09:26 PM »
Does anyone have any tips on breaking in Indy's? I'm going to pick up some 149's soon and it's probably been two years since my last pair of new trucks, which I rode with already used bushings. How great are those aftermarket cylinder bushings, and should I grab those at the same time?

In my experience, yes get the aftermarkets. I ran my stock bushings medium tight for a month or so and they never stopped making noise. Put in aftermarket mediums and kept the nut flush with the top of the kingpin and had way better results

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #2981 on: December 20, 2017, 06:23:16 PM »

yes, with the aftermarket, tighten to flush and then don't touch em and they'll be perfect
hardly art, hardly starving

ungzilla

« Reply #2982 on: December 21, 2017, 06:31:04 AM »
I tried out my stock thunder 148 today and my only complaint was noseslides felt foreign because my 99a f4 spitfires were sticking and I didn’t want to wax the side of the ledge. Otherwise, they felt nicer than new aces I skated on the same deck. I also relearned switch front boardslide.

switched up to thunders from independent recently, i ended up with some fancy ass ones since they were the only pair the shop had in 149, ti hollow lights. uhhhh, they turn a bit different and are ever so slightly lower but the main difference i feel is the weight. i'm not sure it matters though. i guess i don't have the madness.

oh yea i concur with noseslides feeling a bit weird.

Diocletian

« Reply #2983 on: December 24, 2017, 03:01:46 PM »
So I’m not sure where else to post this but I was thinking about how after Christmas I wanna order some stuff online since my locals don’t carry it. Does going from a warm climate in Cali to a freezing cold climate where I’m at affect any gear like decks or trucks? I think of how extreme temperature changes can mess up a guitar, could it do the same to a board? Trucks would probably be unaffected since they’re metal, I’m assuming?

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #2984 on: December 24, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »
So I’m not sure where else to post this but I was thinking about how after Christmas I wanna order some stuff online since my locals don’t carry it. Does going from a warm climate in Cali to a freezing cold climate where I’m at affect any gear like decks or trucks? I think of how extreme temperature changes can mess up a guitar, could it do the same to a board? Trucks would probably be unaffected since they’re metal, I’m assuming?

You're in deep trouble. Ordering trucks between the Winter Solstice and Spring Equinox is just asking for bushing problems. Sit tight until Spring.

Diocletian

« Reply #2985 on: December 24, 2017, 05:48:55 PM »
Lol fuck I guess I’m a “kook” for asking that question. I’d be using aftermarket bushings and they’d warm up for a bit before I set it all up. I guess I was mostly concerned about the board becoming weaker through temperature extremes, warping, etc. but also wondered if maybe the axles or kingpins could get weakened and more prone to bending/breaking from temperature changes as well.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2986 on: December 24, 2017, 06:41:07 PM »
the first time I moved to an area where it really snowed it fucked up my bushings for sure

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Lobo

• Rep: 2
  • Skate and die !
« Reply #2987 on: December 25, 2017, 11:00:51 AM »
Lol fuck I guess I’m a “kook” for asking that question. I’d be using aftermarket bushings and they’d warm up for a bit before I set it all up. I guess I was mostly concerned about the board becoming weaker through temperature extremes, warping, etc. but also wondered if maybe the axles or kingpins could get weakened and more prone to bending/breaking from temperature changes as well.
Everything below 0'C will make your gear stiff and thus more prone to damage,even trucks can crack faster when skating or during transport...I do skate thou even if it's - C outside, just needs to be dry...nothing can beat the streets
Indy stage 11 hollow 139 with bones bushings
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 11:02:33 AM by Lobo »

Spitfire4life

« Reply #2988 on: December 26, 2017, 10:46:57 PM »
I THINK I found the perfect truck setup. Indy 149s with the conical 90a bushings, tighten it to flush, then a 180 degree turn loosened. Stable, but so flowy and surfy. The one downside is they turn a little slower than Thunders, but they're definitely more stable and comfortable.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #2989 on: December 27, 2017, 08:39:57 AM »
I THINK I found the perfect truck setup. Indy 149s with the conical 90a bushings, tighten it to flush, then a 180 degree turn loosened. Stable, but so flowy and surfy. The one downside is they turn a little slower than Thunders, but they're definitely more stable and comfortable.

My bet on the perfect setup is indy 159s with forged baseplates!

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2990 on: December 27, 2017, 09:48:37 AM »
to each his own, mine is the Nephertitties, 149 indys with black barrel aftermarket bushings, still great after one year

Spitfire4life

« Reply #2991 on: December 27, 2017, 02:23:14 PM »
to each his own, mine is the Nephertitties, 149 indys with black barrel aftermarket bushings, still great after one year
My bad, it should have read "perfect setup for me". This setup wouldn't work for any of my friends, let alone everyone.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #2992 on: December 28, 2017, 08:52:26 AM »
What's the order for breaking in Thunders? Leave at stock for 3 full sessions then good?

Only asking cuz it's been like 4 degrees lately so I haven't gotten out there to get em broken in. And I forgot the consensus way of breaking em in.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #2993 on: December 28, 2017, 08:56:13 AM »
What's the order for breaking in Thunders? Leave at stock for 3 full sessions then good?

Only asking cuz it's been like 4 degrees lately so I haven't gotten out there to get em broken in. And I forgot the consensus way of breaking em in.

Step 1: throw out the bushings

Step 2: put some bones mediums, and tighten til flush

Step 3: buy some theeves and find true happiness

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2994 on: December 28, 2017, 09:54:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
My bad, it should have read "perfect setup for me". This setup wouldn't work for any of my friends, let alone everyone.
wanna fight, kid ?

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #2995 on: December 28, 2017, 03:03:30 PM »

Just leave them alone when you first get them don't tighten them or anything for a few sessions and you'll be good to go.

lamfordie

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 278
« Reply #2996 on: December 28, 2017, 07:26:34 PM »
Have some thunders 149 with bones on the bottom bushing and the white ones on top. Trucks are pretty lose.

Spitfire4life

« Reply #2997 on: December 28, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
wanna fight, kid ?

Damn I'm really screwing up phrasing. I meant that the setup I posted was perfect for me.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2998 on: December 28, 2017, 08:15:55 PM »
haha sorry I thought you were talking shit on mine

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2999 on: December 28, 2017, 11:38:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Just leave them alone when you first get them don't tighten them or anything for a few sessions and you'll be good to go.
this!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year