Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220889 times)

franquietits

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3000 on: December 29, 2017, 02:43:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What's the order for breaking in Thunders? Leave at stock for 3 full sessions then good?

Only asking cuz it's been like 4 degrees lately so I haven't gotten out there to get em broken in. And I forgot the consensus way of breaking em in.
[close]
Just leave them alone when you first get them don't tighten them or anything for a few sessions and you'll be good to go.
[close]
this!

What exactly is stock tightness for different trucks (ie: 1 or 2 full turns)? How do you know if someone hasn't tampered with the kingpin before you bought it?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3001 on: December 29, 2017, 02:58:19 AM »
Don’t worry, you can tighten/ loosen to your heart’s content after they are broken in anyway

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #3002 on: December 29, 2017, 04:09:06 AM »
When it's cold you need to the 80's street pro wiggle dance to get those rubber molecules loosened up.
Couple of sessions full tilt boogie mode and you'll be good. Every session in the cold requires a slalom weave warm up.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3003 on: December 29, 2017, 06:28:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What's the order for breaking in Thunders? Leave at stock for 3 full sessions then good?

Only asking cuz it's been like 4 degrees lately so I haven't gotten out there to get em broken in. And I forgot the consensus way of breaking em in.
[close]
Just leave them alone when you first get them don't tighten them or anything for a few sessions and you'll be good to go.
[close]
this!
[close]

What exactly is stock tightness for different trucks (ie: 1 or 2 full turns)? How do you know if someone hasn't tampered with the kingpin before you bought it?

Do not put this fear into my mind!

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3004 on: December 29, 2017, 08:44:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
this!
[close]

[close]

Do not put this fear into my mind!

This is why I just tighten the nut to the same spot every time I'm breaking in trucks. Who knows how many twists they're giving it.

Lee Ralph Fan Club

« Reply #3005 on: December 29, 2017, 09:18:52 AM »
'Factory Settings' are very precise. Please write to each and every truck company to determine exact stock setting position and report back.

Spitfire4life

• Rep: -20
« Reply #3006 on: December 29, 2017, 10:50:21 AM »
haha sorry I thought you were talking shit on mine
Nope, just suck at English haha
If you take medical advice from this puddle of retards you are going to die.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3007 on: December 29, 2017, 11:16:05 PM »
If we're all suddenly gonna buy trucks....put them on our board and just skate....then...I'm outta here...

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3008 on: December 29, 2017, 11:43:09 PM »
Finally solved my awesome but squeaky thunder suciu hollow lights dilemma

So they’re powder coated white and blue and turns out that powder coat is thick and made the trucks a little tighter than they should be because the stem fits too snug and full in the pivot cup

So I took the trucks apart and got a piece of left over grip and sanded the paint off the pivot stem some and solved, no more crazy tightish squeak

So for you guys with powder coat painted trucks that feel tighter/different compared to raw/whatever paint that’s not powder that’s why it feels not as smooth as a raw truck
yes

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3009 on: December 30, 2017, 05:22:29 AM »
If we're all suddenly gonna buy trucks....put them on our board and just skate....then...I'm outta here...

This

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3010 on: December 30, 2017, 07:48:57 AM »

So they’re powder coated white and blue and turns out that powder coat is thick and made the trucks a little tighter than they should be because the stem fits too snug and full in the pivot cup

So I took the trucks apart and got a piece of left over grip and sanded the paint off the pivot stem some and solved, no more crazy tightish squeak

So for you guys with powder coat painted trucks that feel tighter/different compared to raw/whatever paint that’s not powder that’s why it feels not as smooth as a raw truck

Powdercoating completely changes the geometry of the truck as far as I'm concerned.....

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3011 on: December 30, 2017, 10:23:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Powdercoating completely changes the geometry of the truck as far as I'm concerned.....

I can't believe I never thought of that. I was always against colored trucks purely for asthetic reasons.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3012 on: December 30, 2017, 11:31:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I can't believe I never thought of that. I was always against colored trucks purely for asthetic reasons.

I only got them cause they were the only hollow lights they had at the shop and the hollow lights are actually significantly lighter than the standard team

I didn’t believe it and thought how’s scraping off some little bit of metal in the axle and kingpin gonna do anything but turns out it does, very strange
yes

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3013 on: December 30, 2017, 12:01:39 PM »
Got a cruiser/rain/slop ride going with some old stuff i had, Thunder 147's with small risers stock yellow bottom bushings and bones medium on top and it's perfect for a cruiser with some big softer bones dtf's that I got like 5 years ago

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3014 on: December 30, 2017, 12:26:53 PM »
So while trying to decide and find out if those element bam limited edition wheels were worth the fucks and giggles I found out element makes trucks

They’re like the ugly child of Indy and ace

I wonder how they turn, but overall I don’t think they would be worth the curiosity cause they look tall like a destructo mid/high without the kingpin clearance
yes

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3015 on: December 30, 2017, 01:03:43 PM »
So while trying to decide and find out if those element bam limited edition wheels were worth the fucks and giggles I found out element makes trucks

I wonder how they turn, but overall I don’t think they would be worth the curiosity cause they look tall like a destructo mid/high without the kingpin clearance

I just got the idea for the perfect setup!

Bam wheels
Element trucks
World industries deck

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3016 on: December 30, 2017, 01:26:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I just got the idea for the perfect setup!

Bam wheels
Element trucks
World industries deck

Gross, but some kid out there who probably has a jenk used setup like that is skating it
yes

Nallid

• Rep: -14
« Reply #3017 on: December 31, 2017, 01:36:52 AM »
Powder coating and Element trucks. What thee fuck is happening here?

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3018 on: December 31, 2017, 06:44:54 AM »
Even wondering about Element trucks might have just bought you the truck madness crown.

I would guess that they're made of heartagram belt buckle shreds and powder coated in dried Nyjah tears.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3019 on: January 02, 2018, 02:54:45 PM »
To settle down my own madness I ordered:

94a indy cylinders

95a thunder bushings

and TI forged 149 indys.

Hopefully I'll be able to get a good nights sleep again.

OldManSkate

• Rep: -3
« Reply #3020 on: January 02, 2018, 04:51:17 PM »
I think I found the perfect setup for me, thanks to the Ace thread.

Ace 44
Stock bottom bushings
Krux aftermarket top bushings

Got me feeling like this:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:16:59 PM by OldManSkate »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3021 on: January 02, 2018, 08:18:38 PM »
Damn the truck madness level 100 came back to me, trying to see if I can make my Indy 139 low work again

cause turns out nhs has some issues with the low kingpin and nuts that they have thread points where there’s scuffs or small imperfections that make it hard to tighten the nut down and the nuts catch threads get all fucked if you just wind too much and then the nut doesn’t catch and go down anymore or works unless you have at least 3 or more open threads for the undamaged threads to catch

But to fix this before I did it to 2/3 of my 139 low sets I used a fresh trucks kingpin(no hangar or bushings mounted) and tightened the nut down till it fixed the threads in the nut

Why is this a thing? I couldn’t tighten my Indy lows past flush and worse I couldn’t even get the nut past 2 threads under flush with some after market 92a using the included washers too

But since the fix I can tighten my Indy lows properly like a regular truck is supposed to be able to

Truck kook king out

yes

nopes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 85
  • Bob loseedo wears a speedo
« Reply #3022 on: January 02, 2018, 08:49:00 PM »
I just got a polar 1991 deck that is tapered from 9.25 at the front truck to 8.75 at the back truck. Do I go with Indy 159s or 169s?

Masta3spinna

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3023 on: January 02, 2018, 09:58:47 PM »
What truck company has the closest base plate/ kingpin geometry as theeve. Need to know for my Frankenstein truck. Damn the truck madness

Nallid

• Rep: -14
« Reply #3024 on: January 02, 2018, 10:10:48 PM »
I owe my homies $100 each if I change my trucks out this year. My madness has subsided...

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3025 on: January 02, 2018, 10:12:42 PM »
I owe my homies $100 each if I change my trucks out this year. My madness has subsided...

Nice

Does anyone here ride Orion cause Andrew shrock does?
yes

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3026 on: January 02, 2018, 10:22:53 PM »
What truck company has the closest base plate/ kingpin geometry as theeve. Need to know for my Frankenstein truck. Damn the truck madness

I think I’ve seen Xen say on here that the original Theeve prototypes used Ace baseplates or something along those lines. Would be interesting to see a Theeve Tiax combined with those Ace magnesium baseplates if the geometry worked

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3027 on: January 02, 2018, 10:40:21 PM »
You mean TIH.....I was so close to doing it.....someone posted the mags were for lo's?  I've thought of swapping out my theeve base plates w. Regular aces to alleviate that horrible imprint on theeves..... They say....'theeve' on them which inevitably gives me a complex...

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3028 on: January 03, 2018, 07:19:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I think I’ve seen Xen say on here that the original Theeve prototypes used Ace baseplates or something along those lines. Would be interesting to see a Theeve Tiax combined with those Ace magnesium baseplates if the geometry worked

The Theeve V1s and the TiH had that Ace style hanger and turn great, so I wouldn't be surprised if they copied ace's geometry. ACE's don't have the oval yoke in the hanger tho so I'd also like to frankenstein some Mag Theeves... good idea sir

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3029 on: January 03, 2018, 07:23:28 AM »
I just got a polar 1991 deck that is tapered from 9.25 at the front truck to 8.75 at the back truck. Do I go with Indy 159s or 169s?

159s.  You could use 169s but the overhang in the rear would drive me insane