Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220915 times)

Lee Ralph Fan Club

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3030 on: January 03, 2018, 07:59:14 AM »
I just got a polar 1991 deck that is tapered from 9.25 at the front truck to 8.75 at the back truck. Do I go with Indy 159s or 169s?

I think you should spend about 5 to 7 days losing sleep over it first and then make the wrong decision.

159s.

Masta3spinna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #3031 on: January 03, 2018, 11:58:42 AM »
I Would love some mag ace plates but the problem is finding the damn thing, might have to just go original. Maybe some forged Indy plates would work since I have a pair laying around. Ive also heard ace and krux are both around the indy 3 geometry/design so maybe  forged krux. Rather have a 53mm tall truck over a 55mm for sure.

Masta3spinna

« Reply #3032 on: January 03, 2018, 12:03:48 PM »
Could put a 159 on back, 169 up front. Heard hosoi mixes and matches his trucks and he says it works better for him some how.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3033 on: January 03, 2018, 12:55:35 PM »
Guy wears lingerie pants.....so that makes sense.....

Nallid

• Rep: -14
« Reply #3034 on: January 03, 2018, 03:04:15 PM »
I Would love some mag ace plates but the problem is finding the damn thing, might have to just go original. Maybe some forged Indy plates would work since I have a pair laying around. Ive also heard ace and krux are both around the indy 3 geometry/design so maybe  forged krux. Rather have a 53mm tall truck over a 55mm for sure.
Aces are not 55mm high if that's what you were thinking. They list them at 52, but give or take a milimeter.

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #3035 on: January 03, 2018, 06:22:31 PM »
I just got a polar 1991 deck that is tapered from 9.25 at the front truck to 8.75 at the back truck. Do I go with Indy 159s or 169s?
Go for the 159. I find any board that tapers 59s fit perfect in between. Also you can move those trucks to the next board

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3036 on: January 03, 2018, 06:39:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Go for the 159. I find any board that tapers 59s fit perfect in between. Also you can move those trucks to the next board

That's whats good about 159s, they can work on anything from 8.4/8.5 to a tapering 9!

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #3037 on: January 03, 2018, 07:06:43 PM »
Hey, only indirectly related to trucks, but right up the alley for skaters who overthink shit....

Does a setup need to be able to wheelbite?  Does it make some tricks easier?

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3038 on: January 03, 2018, 07:51:49 PM »
Hey, only indirectly related to trucks, but right up the alley for skaters who overthink shit....

Well, wheelbite is never helpful.. but if your setup can't bite at all, it's probably too high.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3039 on: January 03, 2018, 07:52:29 PM »

If your saying when the truck is leaning so hard but isn’t stopping you yet, some people have it that way for cheat 180 flip tricks, lean in wait to be at 45 degrees with wheel bite and flip it and maybe catch it

I do notice wheel bite does help people get a little more ease on leverage for flip tricks

Like since the board is already leaning that way popping it and flicking it the same direction doesn’t need as much effort cause it’s already going that way
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #3040 on: January 03, 2018, 10:09:01 PM »
Not sure what exactly you guys are talking about but.......risers?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3041 on: January 03, 2018, 10:14:40 PM »
You know that’s been on my mind lately, cause I use to ride them religiously when I was skating like crazy in the 7.8 days with my krux 3.5 downlows and idk they did relieve some impact and gave a soft pop feeling to my decks but idk if I should go back cause metal to wood just feels right, so stiff and rigid not soft and dead

Does anyone here ride risers/shock pads?
And the soft one or stiff ones or straight up hard ones that really are just risers
yes

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #3042 on: January 03, 2018, 10:28:29 PM »
You know that’s been on my mind lately, cause I use to ride them religiously when I was skating like crazy in the 7.8 days with my krux 3.5 downlows and idk they did relieve some impact and gave a soft pop feeling to my decks but idk if I should go back cause metal to wood just feels right, so stiff and rigid not soft and dead

Does anyone here ride risers/shock pads?
And the soft one or stiff ones or straight up hard ones that really are just risers

I've been use the softer indy shock pads on all my setups for the past few years. I started doing so because I thought it helped a little bit with pressure cracks and snapping my boards in the nose/tail areas. It's also absorbs a little vibration on shit ground. I don't actually know for sure if it helps my boards last longer, but it feels like it does so I'm going with it.

Masta3spinna

« Reply #3043 on: January 03, 2018, 10:37:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Aces are not 55mm high if that's what you were thinking. They list them at 52, but give or take a milimeter.

Oh really for some reason always thought they are 55mm, now just have to find me a pair of the unicorn like mag baseplates.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3044 on: January 04, 2018, 01:33:32 AM »
I got my mag plates from here about a year ago:
http://www.skateprylar.se/produkt/ace-trucks-magnesium-baseplates/

It’s a Swedish shop but the dude was willing to help and delivered them to Finland. Dunno if he’ll deliver elsewhere and if he does, what it’ll cost but it doesn’t hurt to ask if you really want them. 😊

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #3045 on: January 05, 2018, 04:06:30 AM »

It might make some tricks easier (not sure which ones), but for the most part, some rail-to-rail slide pressure that comes from having some bushing tightness is necessary for doing a lot of flip trick, imo. Depends on preference and what works for you. For me: loose trucks are more enjoyable to ride around with, but tighter trucks enable me to do flip tricks a lot better/satisfactory.

sweet pee

• Rep: 124
« Reply #3046 on: January 05, 2018, 05:18:53 AM »
After reading this thread and succumbing to the madness, I think I found a truck setup that alleviates the kingpin clearance and wheelbite issues that plague some of us Thunder users.

My Thunder Team 147 Hi's were starting to get worn down and the kingpin kept sticking, so I hammered it out and replaced with the Krux Downlow Kingpins. The baseplate crevice holds the nut perfectly, so no need for any JB weld or glue. No kingpin wiggle either...

I was previously running the soft white Thunder bushings and liked the looseness, but hated the wheelbite, so I decided to try the Krux Bushings everyone seems to rave about. After putting them in, the trucks felt too tight for my liking. To make them a little looser, I kept the Krux bottom barrel bushing and changed the top to a soft Thunder bushing.

I discovered that this combo seems to help minimize wheelbite, due to shape/hardness of the bottom barrel, yet keeps the trucks relatively loose due to the softer top. Been running this for the past few months with no problems.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3047 on: January 05, 2018, 08:04:39 AM »
For those of you who’ve done the krux kingpin with thunders, How do they feel for smiths & feebles on rails? I ran that setup for a few months and my smiths/feebles on rails were wildly inconsistent. It would feel as if the hanger would often just roll over to the other side because there’s no kingpin to catch. I’d never feel confident locking into them on rails but with the regular kingpin in thunders or like right now with my Theeves, they’re totally fine. I dunno if I was just shitty at smiths/feebles during those months or if it actually was the lack of a taller kingpin to “catch” the rail and keep the grind centered

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3048 on: January 05, 2018, 12:06:32 PM »
For those of you who’ve done the krux kingpin with thunders, How do they feel for smiths & feebles on rails? I ran that setup for a few months and my smiths/feebles on rails were wildly inconsistent. It would feel as if the hanger would often just roll over to the other side because there’s no kingpin to catch. I’d never feel confident locking into them on rails but with the regular kingpin in thunders or like right now with my Theeves, they’re totally fine. I dunno if I was just shitty at smiths/feebles during those months or if it actually was the lack of a taller kingpin to “catch” the rail and keep the grind centered

Don't think you're supposed to catch your kingpin on any sort of grind... The hanger is supposed to be on one side(eg your heel side for fs smiths/bs feebles) of the rail. Never noticed any issues when I had krux kingpins on my Thunder 149s.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3049 on: January 05, 2018, 01:04:58 PM »
Woah, gotta try that kingpin swap when my thunders wear down, would it be hard to knock out the pins on forged plates?
yes

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3050 on: January 05, 2018, 02:15:49 PM »
Woah, gotta try that kingpin swap when my thunders wear down, would it be hard to knock out the pins on forged plates?

I read somewhere that it's harder but I'm sure it will work with a good clamp/mallet and lots of willpower. Also apparently if you heat them up in the oven it makes it easier but I don't know for sure and that sounds like way too much work.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3051 on: January 05, 2018, 02:36:40 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I read somewhere that it's harder but I'm sure it will work with a good clamp/mallet and lots of willpower. Also apparently if you heat them up in the oven it makes it easier but I don't know for sure and that sounds like way too much work.

Right! I’m probably gonna just try to pound it out or press it out

I already have a set of very worn out hollow lights but the pivot stem got fucked too, like it’s almost sharp and pointy cause didn’t swap pivot cup when they were getting worn out

So not sure if it’s even worth trying to give them more life
yes

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3052 on: January 05, 2018, 07:40:09 PM »
Getting the Thunder pin out isn't too hard (use a parking block with a deep hole, where the rebar is). Getting another pin in, good luck with that....as a) they don't sell forged pins and they are different than cast pins and B) Krux pins don't work as the plate is too thin and the nut will stick out. Better to just get new trucks.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3053 on: January 05, 2018, 11:09:14 PM »
Getting the Thunder pin out isn't too hard (use a parking block with a deep hole, where the rebar is). Getting another pin in, good luck with that....as a) they don't sell forged pins and they are different than cast pins and B) Krux pins don't work as the plate is too thin and the nut will stick out. Better to just get new trucks.

Ha thanks for the tip xen, yeah seems like it would be too much work
yes

Diocletian

« Reply #3054 on: January 06, 2018, 11:38:43 PM »
So I was speaking with someone earlier this evening about industry standards and quality control pertaining to various parts, everything from motor vehicles to skateboards. It was brought to my attention that grade 8 anything, whether it’s an axle or a kingpin, is supposed to be gold with the six line markings on the end of the bolt as an official indicator. I noticed my old stage 7 Indy kingpins only have three lines, haven’t checked my stage 11’s yet but I don’t recall them having it on there, and they’re black kingpins I know that for sure. Tracker and Khiro aftermarket kingpins are gold and have the six mark indicator, so they seem to be the only legit ones.

I recall that video from the rat vision YouTube channel exposing lies within the industry regarding product descriptions. How has no one sued any companies in court yet over their false advertising?

I also began to question why trucks are even made of an aluminum cast in the first place, when it’s shit compared to other options as far as strength and longevity. Is this because other metals don’t grind good?

I also realized truck companies have advertised their axles as 4140 chromoly steel as if it’s good...it’s garbage. I guess it’s no different than a ford commercial saying something is made of “military ballistic invincible outer space aluminum” or something ridiculous along those lines just to make something of average quality sound good.

Thoughts?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3055 on: January 07, 2018, 07:07:18 PM »
So I was speaking with someone earlier this evening about industry standards and quality control pertaining to various parts, everything from motor vehicles to skateboards. It was brought to my attention that grade 8 anything, whether it’s an axle or a kingpin, is supposed to be gold with the six line markings on the end of the bolt as an official indicator. I noticed my old stage 7 Indy kingpins only have three lines, haven’t checked my stage 11’s yet but I don’t recall them having it on there, and they’re black kingpins I know that for sure. Tracker and Khiro aftermarket kingpins are gold and have the six mark indicator, so they seem to be the only legit ones.

I recall that video from the rat vision YouTube channel exposing lies within the industry regarding product descriptions. How has no one sued any companies in court yet over their false advertising?

I also began to question why trucks are even made of an aluminum cast in the first place, when it’s shit compared to other options as far as strength and longevity. Is this because other metals don’t grind good?

I also realized truck companies have advertised their axles as 4140 chromoly steel as if it’s good...it’s garbage. I guess it’s no different than a ford commercial saying something is made of “military ballistic invincible outer space aluminum” or something ridiculous along those lines just to make something of average quality sound good.

Thoughts?

Independent trucks
yes

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3056 on: January 11, 2018, 10:33:39 AM »
So what's going on with those thunder extended baseplates?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3057 on: January 11, 2018, 11:15:53 AM »

Tensor used to advertise this in magazines as marketing, but eventually more and more truck companies started to switch to grade 8

Pretty much, softer metals grind smoother, and aluminum doesn't rust.

Garbage compared to... what exactly? You are literally buying them to destroy them, why waste any more money than you have to? How many 4140 chromoly steel kingpins have you broken, really? Also keep in mind that skaters need lower price point on avg than most consumers.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3058 on: January 11, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Tensor used to advertise this in magazines as marketing, but eventually more and more truck companies started to switch to grade 8

Expand Quote

[close]

Pretty much, softer metals grind smoother, and aluminum doesn't rust.

Expand Quote

[close]

Garbage compared to... what exactly? You are literally buying them to destroy them, why waste any more money than you have to? How many 4140 chromoly steel kingpins have you broken, really? Also keep in mind that skaters need lower price point on avg than most consumers.

Yup. All skate parts, no matter how high quality, are meant to be disposable.

se7en3two

• Rep: -24
« Reply #3059 on: January 11, 2018, 12:17:28 PM »
I looked online, but didn't see anything.

Does anyone know of a list that compares ride height between Indy and Thunders?

I ride newer Indy 144's, but wonder what's a comparable Thunder.