Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220696 times)

JusticeAbberdash

Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3060 on: January 11, 2018, 12:19:11 PM »
I looked online, but didn't see anything.

Does anyone know of a list that compares ride height between Indy and Thunders?

I ride newer Indy 144's, but wonder what's a comparable Thunder.

There's this thing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13rCMIthFb59Y-xrveasWk4GqR9jgd85fXDCIFm3g15I/edit#gid=0

Not sure how accurate it is.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3061 on: January 11, 2018, 02:36:46 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

There's this thing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13rCMIthFb59Y-xrveasWk4GqR9jgd85fXDCIFm3g15I/edit#gid=0

I think tactics still has a pretty accurate chart when you goto the specific truck, like it has the height and weight and most of it is on point or recycled from the source
yes

se7en3two

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -24
« Reply #3062 on: January 12, 2018, 07:26:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think tactics still has a pretty accurate chart when you goto the specific truck, like it has the height and weight and most of it is on point or recycled from the source

Looked over Tactics and another random site.

Unfortunately didn't help with Thunders (hi 148's), since I've seen 50 & 52.3mm listed for height.
Indy was steady at 55mm.

Surprised how such a big difference in height (either way) doesn't cause wheel bite on Thunders.

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3063 on: January 12, 2018, 07:44:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Looked over Tactics and another random site.

Unfortunately didn't help with Thunders (hi 148's), since I've seen 50 & 52.3mm listed for height.
Indy was steady at 55mm.

Surprised how such a big difference in height (either way) doesn't cause wheel bite on Thunders.

Thunder 148's are 51.5 for the forged and 52.5 for the cast.  same as the 149 and 151

Indy's are 53.5 for forged and 55 for the cast

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #3064 on: January 12, 2018, 01:51:24 PM »
Getting the Thunder pin out isn't too hard (use a parking block with a deep hole, where the rebar is). Getting another pin in, good luck with that....as a) they don't sell forged pins and they are different than cast pins and B) Krux pins don't work as the plate is too thin and the nut will stick out. Better to just get new trucks.
Getting kingpin out isn't too hard they said, hit it with a big hammer they said.
Hour of pounding to find a slight angle in the splices and then notice I've buckled the baseplate, I do love thunders but at times like these loyalty is tested.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 02:11:28 PM by Jollyoli »
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3065 on: January 12, 2018, 03:48:46 PM »
It’s pretty easy to do with cast plates but yeah, I don’t see how anyone gets a kingpin out (and then another back in) of a forged baseplate. I know it’s been done before but I’ve just accepted the fact that I’ll never be one of those people. The juice ain’t worth the squeeze

Diocletian

« Reply #3066 on: January 12, 2018, 05:16:48 PM »
Expand Quote
So I was speaking with someone earlier this evening about industry standards and quality control pertaining to various parts, everything from motor vehicles to skateboards. It was brought to my attention that grade 8 anything, whether it’s an axle or a kingpin, is supposed to be gold with the six line markings on the end of the bolt as an official indicator. I noticed my old stage 7 Indy kingpins only have three lines, haven’t checked my stage 11’s yet but I don’t recall them having it on there, and they’re black kingpins I know that for sure. Tracker and Khiro aftermarket kingpins are gold and have the six mark indicator, so they seem to be the only legit ones.

[close]

Tensor used to advertise this in magazines as marketing, but eventually more and more truck companies started to switch to grade 8

Expand Quote

I also began to question why trucks are even made of an aluminum cast in the first place, when it’s shit compared to other options as far as strength and longevity. Is this because other metals don’t grind good?

[close]

Pretty much, softer metals grind smoother, and aluminum doesn't rust.

Expand Quote

I also realized truck companies have advertised their axles as 4140 chromoly steel as if it’s good...it’s garbage. I guess it’s no different than a ford commercial saying something is made of “military ballistic invincible outer space aluminum” or something ridiculous along those lines just to make something of average quality sound good.

[close]

Garbage compared to... what exactly? You are literally buying them to destroy them, why waste any more money than you have to? How many 4140 chromoly steel kingpins have you broken, really? Also keep in mind that skaters need lower price point on avg than most consumers.

Kingpins aren’t being advertised as 4140 chromoly. The axles are. How many chromoly axles have been bent throughout skateboard history? Tons. How many titanium ones? Probably slim to none. Chromoly is garbage recycled metal dipped in chrome. All I’m saying is as far as axles go, there’s better alternatives. Aluminum for the hanger and baseplate, yeah makes sense I guess. It’s gonna get shredded and other metals may not grind very good.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3067 on: January 12, 2018, 06:41:06 PM »
I know this was talked about a lot but is there a contruction where a truck can actually not have axle slip?

I noticed it for the first time with my thunders, all of a sudden on one side my wheel is locked up and the other side has a bit more play
yes

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #3068 on: January 12, 2018, 06:44:31 PM »
I know this was talked about a lot but is there a contruction where a truck can actually not have axle slip?

I noticed it for the first time with my thunders, all of a sudden on one side my wheel is locked up and the other side has a bit more play

Theeve tih's didn't really have an axle, so it was impossible for them to get axle slip. Those were dumb expensive though, prolly impossible to find too now

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3069 on: January 12, 2018, 07:52:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Theeve tih's didn't really have an axle, so it was impossible for them to get axle slip. Those were dumb expensive though, prolly impossible to find too now

Funny thing is my friend has a set and he doesn’t ride them anymore and they’re my size too buttttttt...

As ironic as it is the guy that started the theeve during his berrics video for theeve he mentioned he wanted to create a truck that wasn’t like other trucks(I.e. independents) that had problems like the kingpin getting loose or breaking or whatever and funny as it is theeves are reputable for loose kingpins, seriously my friend rode his tih for so long, like 2-3 years and the only problem was always loose kingpins but lucky for him my psycho butt has a bunch of theeves laying around so I just gave him a baseplate or 2 when he needed the fix but he was over it and now rides krux

For me, I rode my set of theeve v3 for about 3 weeks and out of no where the kingpin got loose, and this is on the new v3 construction. I didn’t wanna deal with changing a pin cause the trucks were also too loose geo for me. Like they’re stable but they’re loose when you get turning so not me

I’m just a low medium tight truck guy, and at the moment I can’t decide between my reliable thunder 147 hi which do kinda drag cause of the pushed out wheel base but response is quick

Or

My independent 139 low I fixed, which they do perform really well and feel good but sadly cause they’re kinda too low(like 2mm lower than thunder 147) when I need to Ollie a good size gap the low quick pop throws me off cause you have to set your foot back more than usual to get a better slide up angle pop over

Truck madness is me
yes

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3070 on: January 12, 2018, 10:24:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Funny thing is my friend has a set and he doesn’t ride them anymore and they’re my size too buttttttt...

As ironic as it is the guy that started the theeve during his berrics video for theeve he mentioned he wanted to create a truck that wasn’t like other trucks(I.e. independents) that had problems like the kingpin getting loose or breaking or whatever and funny as it is theeves are reputable for loose kingpins, seriously my friend rode his tih for so long, like 2-3 years and the only problem was always loose kingpins but lucky for him my psycho butt has a bunch of theeves laying around so I just gave him a baseplate or 2 when he needed the fix but he was over it and now rides krux

For me, I rode my set of theeve v3 for about 3 weeks and out of no where the kingpin got loose, and this is on the new v3 construction. I didn’t wanna deal with changing a pin cause the trucks were also too loose geo for me. Like they’re stable but they’re loose when you get turning so not me

I’m just a low medium tight truck guy, and at the moment I can’t decide between my reliable thunder 147 hi which do kinda drag cause of the pushed out wheel base but response is quick

Or

My independent 139 low I fixed, which they do perform really well and feel good but sadly cause they’re kinda too low(like 2mm lower than thunder 147) when I need to Ollie a good size gap the low quick pop throws me off cause you have to set your foot back more than usual to get a better slide up angle pop over

Truck madness is me

100%!

Also loose kingpins are easy to fix with some epoxy.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3071 on: January 12, 2018, 11:36:52 PM »
I suffered from chronic axel slip.....and I have tih's in an 8 and 8.5.....they are sick except they grind weird....it appears they'll last forever though...they don't grind down.

.I could be wrong...but I'd recommend trying race reds with the nut cranked tight...that way there is zero play....could be a cheap alternative.....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3072 on: January 12, 2018, 11:39:29 PM »
I suffered from chronic axel slip.....and I have tih's in an 8 and 8.5.....they are sick except they grind weird....it appears they'll last forever though...they don't grind down.

.I could be wrong...but I'd recommend trying race reds with the nut cranked tight...that way there is zero play....could be a cheap alternative.....

I was thinking that cause I’m sure you or someone mentioned it but I really like my Indy blacks and I’m using the spacers supplied but the race reds are probably just an overall better choice since it’s built in
yes

Diocletian

« Reply #3073 on: January 13, 2018, 03:09:04 PM »
I have a set of brand new Ace 44’s in the old slim design if anyone wants them. $35 shipped USA only.

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3074 on: January 16, 2018, 04:29:03 PM »
Here's my latest setup..about 2 weeks now. I've always ridden Indy..since about 1980. I'm mainly skating manny pads, small ledges, curbs these days..no more jumping down things. I've been riding bigger boards the last few years..8.75-9" with Indy 159s.

I wanted to explore some new options though, especially as my skating style has evolved. Lighter, smaller, etc.

I was always a poor kid, and the gear choices back in the early days were nothing like we have now. I wanted to take full advantage of having not only choices, but having my own $$ to buy what I want when I want it.

I absolutely LOVE this setup. The deck is 8.25" which is a great size for me at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up liking an 8 or 8.1" now too. The trucks are definitely NOT Indys but that's ok with me. The last thing I want to do is stick to tradition for the sake of tradition.

If something comes along that's better suited to you or your style, I think it's worth at least trying.
So far, these trucks feel great. The geometry is comfortable and I like the way they turn. I ride fairly loose trucks and they work well although I had to go from 52mm wheels to these 50mm Spitfire F4s to not get wheelbite so bad. With that though, the lower than low ride height of these trucks is super comfortable to me.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this setup and I will more than likely continue to explore more gear in this style range; light weight, durable, and geared towards more tech skating.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 04:37:06 PM by B. Hopper »
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3075 on: January 16, 2018, 10:31:22 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I was thinking that cause I’m sure you or someone mentioned it but I really like my Indy blacks and I’m using the spacers supplied but the race reds are probably just an overall better choice since it’s built in

The theory is the axel has no space to move....

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3076 on: January 17, 2018, 12:15:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

The theory is the axel has no space to move....

And that’s why you have to crank the but down with zero play huh..

I’m too sketched with no play but hopefully the tiny amount I left still keeps the axle from slipping

Does anyone here really tighten the trucks down for a session to break in bushings ? Like loosen the nut after and let it be all pancaked bushings loose

Cause my theory was always just to let the stock run flush or a bit looser and carve around until you notice the bushings feeling better then adjusting
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3077 on: January 17, 2018, 07:58:34 AM »
I also think skating conical wheels limits axel contact with the ground versus a tablet style wheel when primo'ing. This might help too...

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3078 on: January 17, 2018, 02:12:05 PM »

If you ever want to get rid of those TiH 5.85 lemme know

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3079 on: January 17, 2018, 05:38:24 PM »
Will do...I keep thinking I'll have to invetiably quit skating an 8".....it's nice having a tank that's still light....

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -311
« Reply #3080 on: January 19, 2018, 01:08:39 AM »
Serious question. If I have Thunder 149 hollow lights, are they hi’s or low? Do the hollow lights come in both? And if so, how do you measure? I’ve never really geeked out with my gear before, but after lurking this thread I feel some OCD coming on!

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3081 on: January 19, 2018, 01:10:57 AM »
Serious question. If I have Thunder 149 hollow lights, are they hi’s or low? Do the hollow lights come in both? And if so, how do you measure? I’ve never really geeked out with my gear before, but after lurking this thread I feel some OCD coming on!

They’re more like a mid, someone here corrected me and turns out the forged base plates on the hollow thunder trucks(not team hollows) make them 52mm tall so basically a mid

They only make 149 in “hi” as they call it
yes

Diocletian

« Reply #3082 on: January 30, 2018, 08:54:27 PM »
I was extremely bored and got a case of the ol’ truck madness tonight. Started looking around at different companies online, the ones you never hear about anymore. Looks like Destructo is still alive and kicking. Anyone ever skate their “D1 mids”? You can customize them with the hanger and baseplate of your liking, and they make magnesium baseplates which is interesting because I thought Ace was the only one who’s done that in recent years. Curious about their quality and how they’ll turn and grind. Isn’t magnesium even lighter than a forged baseplate, btw?

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3083 on: January 30, 2018, 10:37:02 PM »
I was extremely bored and got a case of the ol’ truck madness tonight. Started looking around at different companies online, the ones you never hear about anymore. Looks like Destructo is still alive and kicking. Anyone ever skate their “D1 mids”? You can customize them with the hanger and baseplate of your liking, and they make magnesium baseplates which is interesting because I thought Ace was the only one who’s done that in recent years. Curious about their quality and how they’ll turn and grind. Isn’t magnesium even lighter than a forged baseplate, btw?

From my experience with forged plates and magnesium trucks yes magnesium is lighter but weaker so it grinds down way faster

I been thinking to try their d1 lows but I don’t think so anymore cause I’m very hooked on my thunder team 148!

Also someone here said they’re not that great, they fall under the same category of feel and quality like silver and such under dog brands which from my experience again, not worth it

Silvers have the be the worse turning truck of today, just trash. Literally they are trash I wouldn’t doubt bullet or industrial trucks are better
yes

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #3084 on: January 31, 2018, 05:11:17 AM »
Arto and Eniz ride destructos so they can’t be as poor as Silvers... Homie who rides for Antiz got some when they made collabo with them and said they’re just basic trucks, nothing too special.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #3085 on: February 01, 2018, 12:20:56 AM »
Are black panther ceramic bearings good?

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3086 on: February 01, 2018, 09:56:44 AM »
I got hooked up with these 149 Indys that my local shop did with Coors/Indy (as posted in my other thread) and decided to give them a spin yesterday (I wasn't sure I was going to even keep them).

I've been on Indys since 1980 and other than a few short experiments with other brands, I've basically skated nothing but Indy.

I posted this same setup here a few weeks ago when I first built it. I had Tensor Mag Light Low 5.5s on it originally as I wanted to try something new for the hell of it.

Honestly, the Tensors are fucking great. I like them alot. But I'm an Indy guy to the bone for sure and these immediately felt "right" as soon as I hit the ground rolling on them.

No Tensor hate AT ALL, but I'm an Indy man. I just added Bones Bushings to these and needed no break in time. I mix on soft, one medium bushing with my other pair of 159 Indys.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Beoxts9DRAa/?taken-by=boarderhoppersskateboarding
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3087 on: February 01, 2018, 04:58:57 PM »
Arto and Eniz ride destructos so they can’t be as poor as Silvers... Homie who rides for Antiz got some when they made collabo with them and said they’re just basic trucks, nothing too special.

Dude rides indys.

https://youtu.be/GVvYLJo7CEQ

Diocletian

« Reply #3088 on: February 01, 2018, 08:02:15 PM »
After reading this thread and succumbing to the madness, I think I found a truck setup that alleviates the kingpin clearance and wheelbite issues that plague some of us Thunder users.

My Thunder Team 147 Hi's were starting to get worn down and the kingpin kept sticking, so I hammered it out and replaced with the Krux Downlow Kingpins. The baseplate crevice holds the nut perfectly, so no need for any JB weld or glue. No kingpin wiggle either...

I was previously running the soft white Thunder bushings and liked the looseness, but hated the wheelbite, so I decided to try the Krux Bushings everyone seems to rave about. After putting them in, the trucks felt too tight for my liking. To make them a little looser, I kept the Krux bottom barrel bushing and changed the top to a soft Thunder bushing.

I discovered that this combo seems to help minimize wheelbite, due to shape/hardness of the bottom barrel, yet keeps the trucks relatively loose due to the softer top. Been running this for the past few months with no problems.

How do you get the nut all the way up flush against the baseplate? On my Indy Stage 7’s and Ace’s, I had to use a skinny blunt object and hammer the nut up in there because just trying to push with my thumb wasn’t hard enough to scoot it all the way. With thunders can you just push the nut up in there with your finger or did you need to hammer it?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3089 on: February 01, 2018, 08:51:14 PM »
I ran this exact setup for a while, bottom barrel makes them feel very different in a good way.

No banging anything in, the nut fits fine in the plate, screw it in and good to go as long as you don't ride too loose and possibly unscrew it (I still use epoxy for peace of mind).