Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221062 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3150 on: February 18, 2018, 09:36:48 AM »
I started sanding it down on an old board and it felt like an exercise in futility so I gave up; I'll probably just but some low bushings and use the tops.

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #3151 on: February 18, 2018, 09:59:36 AM »
its pretty easy lol. I put alittle force down, push it down the grip tape one direction a few times and rotate. It look me like 5 minutes to do both bushings

MaitlandPrivado

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #3152 on: February 18, 2018, 05:36:45 PM »
Does anyone know if Indy conicals work well with Ventures?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #3153 on: February 19, 2018, 02:02:43 AM »

Yes. Indy bushings are the same size as Venture bushings. I put the super softs on my 5.8 Ventures and they work nicely. The trucks still don’t really turn all that much though. 😊

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3154 on: February 19, 2018, 07:38:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
In the comments of a Theeve insta post they said they’re bringing back the TiH in April. I wonder if they’ll finally update their baseplates and go forged
[close]
Saw some on ebay with forged baseplates. So, all signs point to yes.
[close]

Can't say I've ever seen pics of a theeve forged plate an I follow that shit pretty close. You got snaps?

Hard to tell from this pic, it's all I could find in my old e-mails. They were advertised as being forged, and looked much more polished than the usual plates. However they didn't look thinner like indy's and thunders do.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 07:43:03 AM by Firebert »

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3155 on: February 19, 2018, 09:51:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
In the comments of a Theeve insta post they said they’re bringing back the TiH in April. I wonder if they’ll finally update their baseplates and go forged
[close]
Saw some on ebay with forged baseplates. So, all signs point to yes.
[close]

Can't say I've ever seen pics of a theeve forged plate an I follow that shit pretty close. You got snaps?

[close]

Hard to tell from this pic, it's all I could find in my old e-mails. They were advertised as being forged, and looked much more polished than the usual plates. However they didn't look thinner like indy's and thunders do.

Standard Theeve cast plates; that's the thing about Theeve's casting, it looks soo good/it's so well done compared to indy or thunder raw casts. I could see how one could think it's forged.

Diocletian

« Reply #3156 on: February 19, 2018, 10:56:53 AM »
I still can’t help but want to stockpile a bunch of older design slim hanger Ace’s. Anyone have any shops in the USA, whether it’s local or online, that they know about that have some Stage 1 Ace 44’s or 55’s?

Smartass

• Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3157 on: February 19, 2018, 12:52:35 PM »

Definitely interested in trying some Theeve's once they re-release the TiH. Well, also interested in trying the TiKing's, but is the price jump worth it over Theeve's other offerings? I mean its the same price as a set of Titanium Thunder/Indy's, do they perform as well as those guys?

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3158 on: February 19, 2018, 02:41:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Definitely interested in trying some Theeve's once they re-release the TiH. Well, also interested in trying the TiKing's, but is the price jump worth it over Theeve's other offerings? I mean its the same price as a set of Titanium Thunder/Indy's, do they perform as well as those guys?

Yea you’re getting pretty much the same thing at that price, hollow kingpin w/ titanium axles. cast baseplate tho but like Xen said, they’re pretty well made.

I haven’t skated the TiH’s but the TiKings are excellent to me. I’ll admit I occasionally get swayed by Thunder & Venture mostly due to their team/marketing but ultimately, I just skate better and have done a lot of my best tricks with Theeves. Their marketing is abysmal compared to the Big 3 but the trucks themselves are as good as anything else out there. They also have that oval yoke that prevents wheelbite and gives you a balance of both subtle, surfy turns and sharper, precise ones. I’d always recommend Theeves to anyone looking to try something new with their truck game

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3159 on: February 19, 2018, 02:46:01 PM »
frankensteined my old TiH with a pair of mismatched theeve baseplates i found, never noticed until now the space between the bottom bushing and the middle of the truck, i put bones mediums in there, even with a bones flat washer on bottom and top im not to sure on them anymore. Guess i'll just still to my 144s

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3160 on: February 19, 2018, 08:32:44 PM »
Theeve TiH are amazing, as turny as aces yet super stable and stupid light - but, they grind oddly on angled iron or steel coping (but absolutely wreck face on concrete). I only sold mine off (used, and for more than I paid new) because I'm only skating park these days and like I mentioned they grind a bit odd/not as well as regular aluminum, I'd stick with TiKings or Tiax.

Diocletian

« Reply #3161 on: February 19, 2018, 09:55:40 PM »
What do you guys think about hollow axles? I’ve skated titanium versions if I ever wanted to upgrade from standard, and the hollow kingpin doesn’t really seem like it would be a huge issue with breakage. But a hollow axle just seems silly. Jumping down stuff, constant weight on them...they seem very likely to bend. I’m a big fella, around 210lbs, you guys think there’s a higher chance one could bend hollow axle trucks at that weight range?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #3162 on: February 19, 2018, 10:27:14 PM »
Theeve TiH are amazing, as turny as aces yet super stable and stupid light - but, they grind oddly on angled iron or steel coping (but absolutely wreck face on concrete). I only sold mine off (used, and for more than I paid new) because I'm only skating park these days and like I mentioned they grind a bit odd/not as well as regular aluminum, I'd stick with TiKings or Tiax.

How would you describe the grind on angle iron/steel coping? Is it just a strange feeling or does it actually mess with your tricks?

What do you guys think about hollow axles? I’ve skated titanium versions if I ever wanted to upgrade from standard, and the hollow kingpin doesn’t really seem like it would be a huge issue with breakage. But a hollow axle just seems silly. Jumping down stuff, constant weight on them...they seem very likely to bend. I’m a big fella, around 210lbs, you guys think there’s a higher chance one could bend hollow axle trucks at that weight range?

Truck axles are effectively cylinders, and most of the structural integrity of cylinders comes from the outer surface as opposed to centre. Thus a hollow axle has a better strength to weight ratio than a solid axle.

Apparently hollow shafts are also stiffer and in many cases stronger than solid ones:

https://www.quora.com/A-hollow-shaft-has-greater-strength-and-stiffness-than-a-solid-shaft-of-equal-weight-Why-is-it-true

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2000-10/971922595.Eg.r.html

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/12913/hollow-tube-stronger-than-solid-bar-of-same-outside-diameter-o-d

I definitely wouldn't worry about hollow axles bending. In the case that they do, they almost certainly would have bent too had you been skating regular axles.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:59:18 PM by tzhangdox »

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3163 on: February 20, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »

Try Supercush. They are awesome and made by Deluxe

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3164 on: February 20, 2018, 10:28:50 AM »
I have 2 sets of Ventures, 5.25s and 5.8s.  Both are lights, but not hollow.  I really with they would make 5.5s for 8.25" boards because I'm not a fan of either sizes on an 8.25 but I hate all other trucks.

Good call. I had some 5.25s on an 8.25 and it had that boat tilt feeling

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3165 on: February 20, 2018, 02:04:39 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How would you describe the grind on angle iron/steel coping? Is it just a strange feeling or does it actually mess with your tricks?

Expand Quote
[close]

Truck axles are effectively cylinders, and most of the structural integrity of cylinders comes from the outer surface as opposed to centre. Thus a hollow axle has a better strength to weight ratio than a solid axle.

Apparently hollow shafts are also stiffer and in many cases stronger than solid ones:

https://www.quora.com/A-hollow-shaft-has-greater-strength-and-stiffness-than-a-solid-shaft-of-equal-weight-Why-is-it-true

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2000-10/971922595.Eg.r.html

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/12913/hollow-tube-stronger-than-solid-bar-of-same-outside-diameter-o-d

I definitely wouldn't worry about hollow axles bending. In the case that they do, they almost certainly would have bent just as much, if not more had you been skating regular axles.

It's sort of sticky, it grinds but its not a forgiving feeling the way regular aluminum is; also there will be little burn marks on the truck from angled iron.

Also, on 'crete it would take you lightyears to grind in a groove.

The turn like a dream tho, I swear the TiH feel different than current V3s, like the V3 geo just isn't the same due to how they had to reinforce it (changing the hanger V to a more standard design supposedly made bushings sit better?).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:51:28 AM by Xen »

Diocletian

« Reply #3166 on: February 20, 2018, 06:23:24 PM »
My brain isn’t smart enough to comprehend all that math haha. How could a chromoly hollow axle be stronger than one that is solid? It doesn’t make sense unless the hollow one was made of a stronger material.

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3167 on: February 20, 2018, 06:44:16 PM »
My brain isn’t smart enough to comprehend all that math haha. How could a chromoly hollow axle be stronger than one that is solid? It doesn’t make sense unless the hollow one was made of a stronger material.

It's possible. Heat treating, butting, etc.
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3168 on: February 20, 2018, 06:50:25 PM »

I believe that hollow axles are better than solid ones when it comes to torsional loads. But what is for sure true is that they have a better strength to weight ratio than solid axles, as most of the structural integrity of cylinders is from the outer parts(refer to the equation in the stackexchange link). This doesn't mean that hollow axles are stronger than solid ones, but per gram, they are(sorry if this wasn't clear in my last reply).

Consider the examples in here here:
https://www.mtbiker.sk/forum/resources/file/207637

"area moment of inertia is a property of a cross section that can be used to predict the resistance of beams to bending"

They then provide an example of a hollow and solid shaft of the same diameter.
"in this case, the hollow tube area moment of inertia is approximately 85% the solid rod of the same diameter but the cross sectional area (weight) of the hollow tube is only 62% of the solid rod."

Obviously these numbers vary given the dimensions of the axle but I think you get my point.

I don't have a physics degree so take what I say with a grain of salt. I'd say you are tempted to get hollows, don't let fears of bending stop you, I'm 190ibs, break a lot of shit, and have never had issues with hollow axles when I had them (but have had bad experiences with solid thunder 149 axles bending a lot). If anything its those pesky ace axles that never fail to bend.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 07:01:06 PM by tzhangdox »

nosneb

« Reply #3169 on: February 20, 2018, 07:06:01 PM »
I always stayed away from hollow stuff. This is my first hollow kingpin truck. Wouldn’t mind trying the hollow axles but I think they would get mangled from landing primo and stuff.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3170 on: February 20, 2018, 07:16:30 PM »
I always stayed away from hollow stuff. This is my first hollow kingpin truck. Wouldn’t mind trying the hollow axles but I think they would get mangled from landing primo and stuff.

Pad the outside side of your axle with extra washers, so that when you screw on the nut it protects the axle. That way after a lot of primos, you will only scuff your nuts which are easily replaceable.

B. Hopper

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3171 on: February 20, 2018, 08:09:19 PM »
LoL @ "you will only scuff your nuts"
44 years young. Skatin' since '80. Take yours slams, get up smiling, say #thankyouskateboarding, and get back up and do it again. Because FUN.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3172 on: February 20, 2018, 10:06:36 PM »
All this talk about Theeve makes me want to try them out but they're difficult as fuck to find in Europe. Especially the 5.85" seems to be sold pretty much nowhere.  ???

Diocletian

« Reply #3173 on: February 20, 2018, 10:23:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I believe that hollow axles are better than solid ones when it comes to torsional loads. But what is for sure true is that they have a better strength to weight ratio than solid axles, as most of the structural integrity of cylinders is from the outer parts(refer to the equation in the stackexchange link). This doesn't mean that hollow axles are stronger than solid ones, but per gram, they are(sorry if this wasn't clear in my last reply).

Consider the examples in here here:
https://www.mtbiker.sk/forum/resources/file/207637

"area moment of inertia is a property of a cross section that can be used to predict the resistance of beams to bending"

They then provide an example of a hollow and solid shaft of the same diameter.
"in this case, the hollow tube area moment of inertia is approximately 85% the solid rod of the same diameter but the cross sectional area (weight) of the hollow tube is only 62% of the solid rod."

Obviously these numbers vary given the dimensions of the axle but I think you get my point.

I don't have a physics degree so take what I say with a grain of salt. I'd say you are tempted to get hollows, don't let fears of bending stop you, I'm 190ibs, break a lot of shit, and have never had issues with hollow axles when I had them (but have had bad experiences with solid thunder 149 axles bending a lot). If anything its those pesky ace axles that never fail to bend.

I’ve read people saying they’ve bent solid Thunder axles on here, too. Wonder if Thunder has a design flaw in the hanger? Not much metal reinforcement compared to the rest.

Thanks for your responses and the info. So I guess a hollow axle is more prone to just straight snapping instead of bending like a solid? That’s kinda what I’m taking from this but correct me if I’m wrong.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3174 on: February 20, 2018, 10:32:40 PM »
Yeah I think that's right, intuitively speaking it makes sense. With all this being said there are many factors we haven't considered such as the difference in manufacturing process etc which could also affect the strength of the axle.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't ever heard of anybody that consistently bends/snaps hollow axles but skates solid ones fine. It's always the people who skate solid axles and have never skated hollow axles that trash them for being weak.

Octobre Rouge.

• Rep: -2
  • Black metal and ledge skating
« Reply #3175 on: February 21, 2018, 06:02:45 AM »
All this talk about Theeve makes me want to try them out but they're difficult as fuck to find in Europe. Especially the 5.85" seems to be sold pretty much nowhere.  ???

You can find them on https://www.titus-shop.com/fr_FR/index.php?screen=dstore.shop.category&Search=theeve

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3176 on: February 21, 2018, 07:58:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You can find them on https://www.titus-shop.com/fr_FR/index.php?screen=dstore.shop.category&Search=theeve

Thanks. Checked that before already. Only one truck left and I would need two. 😊

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3177 on: February 21, 2018, 01:06:55 PM »

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Went with Thunder Team hollow 149s instead of Ace 44s. The Aces was just either too much truck or too little truck for 8.5s

Im riding them stock bushings but the top one cut in half with only bottom washer
[close]

How did you chop the top bushing with (and how without losing fingers)? I set up my thunders today (thunder OG bottom with a bones thin washer) and    stopped there knowing I need a low top or chop the one I have.
[close]

At home I took an old deck and started sanding the bushing down with the grip tape. If I was at my work shop I have clamps benches and saws.
Actually I sanded alittle more so I can fit the top washer and have my kingpin bolt flush with some wobble.

Got it! Just needed to find a deck with regular MOB on it; knocked it out in a few min, might have gone too low, we'll see.

nosneb

« Reply #3178 on: February 21, 2018, 01:16:22 PM »
Jessup worked out perfect. Mob might take off lots of material so careful to not slip your finger lol

nosneb

« Reply #3179 on: February 21, 2018, 02:36:26 PM »