Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 293174 times)

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3210 on: February 20, 2018, 10:23:25 PM »
My brain isnít smart enough to comprehend all that math haha. How could a chromoly hollow axle be stronger than one that is solid? It doesnít make sense unless the hollow one was made of a stronger material.

I believe that hollow axles are better than solid ones when it comes to torsional loads. But what is for sure true is that they have a better strength to weight ratio than solid axles, as most of the structural integrity of cylinders is from the outer parts(refer to the equation in the stackexchange link). This doesn't mean that hollow axles are stronger than solid ones, but per gram, they are(sorry if this wasn't clear in my last reply).

Consider the examples in here here:
https://www.mtbiker.sk/forum/resources/file/207637

"area moment of inertia is a property of a cross section that can be used to predict the resistance of beams to bending"

They then provide an example of a hollow and solid shaft of the same diameter.
"in this case, the hollow tube area moment of inertia is approximately 85% the solid rod of the same diameter but the cross sectional area (weight) of the hollow tube is only 62% of the solid rod."

Obviously these numbers vary given the dimensions of the axle but I think you get my point.

I don't have a physics degree so take what I say with a grain of salt. I'd say you are tempted to get hollows, don't let fears of bending stop you, I'm 190ibs, break a lot of shit, and have never had issues with hollow axles when I had them (but have had bad experiences with solid thunder 149 axles bending a lot). If anything its those pesky ace axles that never fail to bend.

Iíve read people saying theyíve bent solid Thunder axles on here, too. Wonder if Thunder has a design flaw in the hanger? Not much metal reinforcement compared to the rest.

Thanks for your responses and the info. So I guess a hollow axle is more prone to just straight snapping instead of bending like a solid? Thatís kinda what Iím taking from this but correct me if Iím wrong.

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #3211 on: February 20, 2018, 10:32:40 PM »
Yeah I think that's right, intuitively speaking it makes sense. With all this being said there are many factors we haven't considered such as the difference in manufacturing process etc which could also affect the strength of the axle.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't ever heard of anybody that consistently bends/snaps hollow axles but skates solid ones fine. It's always the people who skate solid axles and have never skated hollow axles that trash them for being weak.

Octobre Rouge.

• Rep: -1
  • Black metal and ledge skating
« Reply #3212 on: February 21, 2018, 06:02:45 AM »
All this talk about Theeve makes me want to try them out but they're difficult as fuck to find in Europe. Especially the 5.85" seems to be sold pretty much nowhere.  ???

You can find them on https://www.titus-shop.com/fr_FR/index.php?screen=dstore.shop.category&Search=theeve

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #3213 on: February 21, 2018, 07:58:57 AM »
All this talk about Theeve makes me want to try them out but they're difficult as fuck to find in Europe. Especially the 5.85" seems to be sold pretty much nowhere.  ???

You can find them on https://www.titus-shop.com/fr_FR/index.php?screen=dstore.shop.category&Search=theeve

Thanks. Checked that before already. Only one truck left and I would need two. 😊

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #3214 on: February 21, 2018, 01:06:55 PM »

Went with Thunder Team hollow 149s instead of Ace 44s. The Aces was just either too much truck or too little truck for 8.5s

Im riding them stock bushings but the top one cut in half with only bottom washer

How did you chop the top bushing with (and how without losing fingers)? I set up my thunders today (thunder OG bottom with a bones thin washer) and    stopped there knowing I need a low top or chop the one I have.

At home I took an old deck and started sanding the bushing down with the grip tape. If I was at my work shop I have clamps benches and saws.
Actually I sanded alittle more so I can fit the top washer and have my kingpin bolt flush with some wobble.

Got it! Just needed to find a deck with regular MOB on it; knocked it out in a few min, might have gone too low, we'll see.

nosneb

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3215 on: February 21, 2018, 01:16:22 PM »
Jessup worked out perfect. Mob might take off lots of material so careful to not slip your finger lol

nosneb

« Reply #3216 on: February 21, 2018, 02:36:26 PM »

Pretty sick lol

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3217 on: February 21, 2018, 02:42:01 PM »
i scrolled through that guys stuff yesterday, he really takes the invert kingpin stuff seriously

Edit:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:43:44 PM by Paco Supreme »

In A Jar

• just say null
« Reply #3218 on: February 21, 2018, 04:25:09 PM »
Anyone know how well Indy after market bushings hold up in below freezing temperatures?  Trying to find barrel bushings that don't freeze up too much. 

Also, are the white Indy bushings that come in their titanium trucks considered stock bushings? 

nosneb

« Reply #3219 on: February 21, 2018, 05:20:50 PM »
I ride the red soft conical bushing and in the freezing cold itís hard af. Only bushings I remember being soft in cold was bones soft or dohdoh bushings

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #3220 on: February 21, 2018, 05:57:05 PM »
I ride the red soft conical bushing and in the freezing cold itís hard af. Only bushings I remember being soft in cold was bones soft or dohdoh bushings

Wait, there's an alternative to winter weight gain?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

nosneb

« Reply #3221 on: February 21, 2018, 07:31:05 PM »
I wish I can ride the soft bones. I blow them out on the first slappy

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #3222 on: February 21, 2018, 07:38:32 PM »
I wish I can ride the soft bones. I blow them out on the first slappy

Try hard/medium bottoms with soft tops, you'll be surprised (unless you blow out the tops regularly).

nosneb

« Reply #3223 on: February 21, 2018, 09:14:26 PM »
I mangle the whole thing  :'( running stock with the modded top has been working great ďcustom tuneĒ lol

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #3224 on: February 22, 2018, 12:09:54 AM »
Just finished a second session on the blue conical indy aftermarkets in 149 thunder hollow lights. Top indy washer at the bottom, thin bones washer at the top. Had only been using bones hard bushings for the last 4 years, and I was not expecting such an improvement in my ride. Bushings broken in out of the box and the trucks actually turn much-much sharper. The difference is almost as noticeable as when i first went to bones from plain barrel minus the frustration of getting used to new shit. I am super stocked, these things are heavenly.
Chusticiero/Fuma chustas - Person who smokes the end of the joint.

franquietits

• Rep: 34
« Reply #3225 on: February 24, 2018, 01:36:45 PM »
Probably not necessary, but anybody ever try fuckin' with wedge risers?

I think I read in one of Natas's old thrasher interviews that he used one on the front to make it look like it the board "is getting more air", or something like that.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 665
« Reply #3226 on: February 24, 2018, 03:52:06 PM »
I used to do that because of that interview....yah these angle things might do something but I think the only benefit would be changing the carve....

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3227 on: February 24, 2018, 04:26:26 PM »
If they were thinner with real small amounts of "wedge" they might be cool. Something to fine tune how your trucks feel.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 665
« Reply #3228 on: February 24, 2018, 06:45:18 PM »
Slalom guys have been doing this forever.

Not Local

• Rep: 10
« Reply #3229 on: February 24, 2018, 07:20:38 PM »
If they were thinner with real small amounts of "wedge" they might be cool. Something to fine tune how your trucks feel.

Natas just had more risers on the front over the back for quicker snaps. Wedge risers are for slalom, long boarding and trucks that don't turn. In other words- don't do it.

the_unknown_soldier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -71
« Reply #3230 on: February 26, 2018, 12:25:27 PM »
After having a negative experience with Bones Mediums in the past, I reluctantly bought some of the softer ones for my cruiser board. I got some extra wide trucks and just couldn't get them to feel right. Just put 'em on and skated back and forth my driveway and they feel really nice. One of the replacement washers must have fallen out of the box somewhere, so I'm not using any washers at all which I assume will be okay since this is strictly a cruiser board. I felt like I was crazy by not getting the Bones hype, but I'm gonna ride around town later and see how it feels for longer than a couple minutes.

roba

• Rep: 23
« Reply #3231 on: February 28, 2018, 05:50:43 AM »

Thanks. Checked that before already. Only one truck left and I would need two. 😊

if you're still looking for them - http://www.ambassadors.pl/en/30-85

not sure if they ship outside of poland though. 199pln is like 50 euros so they're kinda cheap too
I want a Hollywood movie about dudes in mesh hats forming bonds while pouring DIY 'crete

@grandroba

Diocletian

« Reply #3232 on: February 28, 2018, 08:39:12 PM »
If anyone wants a second chance at some vintage Indyís, these are some Stage 8ís in new condition I just spotted on eBay and arenít priced at $500 like everyone seems to do when they sell em on there. Good luck, youíll probably end up in an intense bidding war with some serious Indy lifer who set his max bid at $200 lol.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/NOS-INDEPENDENT-dual-bolt-pattern-skateboard-trucks-2-blue-silver-NEW-VTG/323104436410?hash=item4b3a8670ba:g:X2gAAOSwYcZalVCn

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #3233 on: March 01, 2018, 06:34:50 AM »
If anyone wants a second chance at some vintage Indyís, these are some Stage 8ís in new condition I just spotted on eBay and arenít priced at $500 like everyone seems to do when they sell em on there. Good luck, youíll probably end up in an intense bidding war with some serious Indy lifer who set his max bid at $200 lol.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/NOS-INDEPENDENT-dual-bolt-pattern-skateboard-trucks-2-blue-silver-NEW-VTG/323104436410?hash=item4b3a8670ba:g:X2gAAOSwYcZalVCn

Those pics make me feel funny ... down there.
I have one set of stage 8s left that are 126s. I've been debating setting up a skinnier deck and just using them cuz I'm not getting any younger so why not.

Part of why I was looking for that Indy history. To compare stage 7 and 8 but i do think they're 8
GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG !

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -211
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
« Reply #3234 on: March 01, 2018, 06:41:49 AM »
damn those are tempting, imagine getting them for less then the new ones?

Diocletian

« Reply #3235 on: March 01, 2018, 12:56:00 PM »

Those pics make me feel funny ... down there.
I have one set of stage 8s left that are 126s. I've been debating setting up a skinnier deck and just using them cuz I'm not getting any younger so why not.

Part of why I was looking for that Indy history. To compare stage 7 and 8 but i do think they're 8

Those are 8ís. I had two sets of stage 7ís in near mint condition and just recently sold them. The 7ís look exactly like a theeve hanger. The 8ís have a trimmer hanger design compared to the 7ís, and the major indication being the first stage to come out with the bar cross stamped on the baseplate. Stage 7ís and all prior stages did not have this. They grind the same Iím sure, as far as the turn goes, Iíve not skated 8ís but from what Iíve read they were the last good stage Indy released before the turn became slowwwww.

Edit: hereís more info: https://www.skullandbonesskateboards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1505758&sid=5bbd5a9f351389e32d582d4fc157f325
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 01:03:20 PM by Diocletian »

Diocletian

« Reply #3237 on: March 01, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »
Those would be worth posting if the price wasnít $213 after shipping. Iíd pay $80 tops for a set of trucks, modern or old. Theyíre just gonna get destroyed either way.

Not Local

• Rep: 10
« Reply #3238 on: March 01, 2018, 05:37:32 PM »
Get a better job and suck it up.

Diocletian

« Reply #3239 on: March 01, 2018, 08:33:36 PM »
Get a better job and suck it up.

Yeah lemme go get another job for some $200 trucks that have an old school mounting hole pattern and are colored brb.