Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220983 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3210 on: March 03, 2018, 12:39:44 PM »
I’ve never skated Ventures before. I noticed Matt Field still skates them after being on Ace’s and Thunders in the past. Do Ventures have a good snappy quick turn? Or should I not kid myself and stick with Ace’s still?

Compared to Aces Ventures don’t turn at all pretty much.

nosneb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 78
« Reply #3211 on: March 03, 2018, 02:48:07 PM »
Just got the raw polished. They do turn but not in a way Indy turns since they stretch the wheelbase abit further out. Ventures turns straight while indy is curvy. I sanded the top bushing in half and I like that the board wobbles around while feeling very stable.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3212 on: March 03, 2018, 09:14:49 PM »
Just got the raw polished. They do turn but not in a way Indy turns since they stretch the wheelbase abit further out. Ventures turns straight while indy is curvy. I sanded the top bushing in half and I like that the board wobbles around while feeling very stable.
Did they come with silver or gold hardware? I ordered a set thinking they would have the silver hardware and nope, still gold, even though the pic said otherwise.  I hated it when they switched to gold and I was stoked when I saw the new raws with all silver.  Now if only they'd go back to green or blue bushings...

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3213 on: March 04, 2018, 06:53:09 AM »
The highs would probably be a bit different....maybe a deeper turning radius but arguably a venture is the opposite of an ACE.....

nosneb

« Reply #3214 on: March 04, 2018, 08:19:56 AM »
Ventures do not turn anything like Ace but it’s like a slower version of Thunder. Man these trucks grind feels so good. It’s a perfect street truck. On transition it’s deff not as carvy as Indy or Ace.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3215 on: March 04, 2018, 10:43:19 AM »
Ventures do not turn anything like Ace but it’s like a slower version of Thunder. Man these trucks grind feels so good. It’s a perfect street truck. On transition it’s deff not as carvy as Indy or Ace.

I compare Ventures to Toyota’s in the sense that their turn style may seem somewhat “bland” compared something like surfy Aces or sharp-turning Thunders, but its super reliable and well rounded for all situations. I don’t like how thunders feel in transition and probably vice versa with some Aces and tech skating but ventures can reliably do both.

And yeah that hanger does grind like a beast

https://instagram.com/p/Bf4TGQohPiI/

I’m not gonna hype them up too much tho or ima get tempted to skate my 5.8 V-Hollow Lights once again. The madness never stops
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 01:25:38 PM by DaSk8D00D »

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3216 on: March 04, 2018, 10:56:11 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Did they come with silver or gold hardware? I ordered a set thinking they would have the silver hardware and nope, still gold, even though the pic said otherwise.  I hated it when they switched to gold and I was stoked when I saw the new raws with all silver.  Now if only they'd go back to green or blue bushings...

You can get deluxe supercush bushings in green still

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3217 on: March 04, 2018, 11:18:13 AM »
I've been trying to break in a set of Indys for 2 weeks, tightening/loosening etc. Last night I put in a new set of Thunder 147s .. no tightening and skating was perfection. Part of me feels like I keep trying Indys in hopes of recapturing that stage 7 magic and it just isn't working. Also, I still love Ventures too. I find the Venture lo 5.25 and Thunder 147 hi to be very similar. Not in the ride itself but the technical aspects (I mean , tricks feel very similar)) to me on both). Thunders definitely have a looser turn that is fun but Ventures have a nice stability on landings. So I guess for now I'm going back n forth between Venture and Thunder
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 11:21:52 AM by fang »

nosneb

« Reply #3218 on: March 04, 2018, 11:23:11 AM »
Also my set came with gold washers and purple bushings which i dont mind at all, it looks kinda bling.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3219 on: March 04, 2018, 12:01:03 PM »
I've been trying to break in a set of Indys for 2 weeks, tightening/loosening etc. Last night I put in a new set of Thunder 147s .. no tightening and skating was perfection. Part of me feels like I keep trying Indys in hopes of recapturing that stage 7 magic and it just isn't working. Also, I still love Ventures too. I find the Venture lo 5.25 and Thunder 147 hi to be very similar. Not in the ride itself but the technical aspects (I mean , tricks feel very similar)) to me on both). Thunders definitely have a looser turn that is fun but Ventures have a nice stability on landings. So I guess for now I'm going back n forth between Venture and Thunder

Must be stage 11, I love them but can never get them just right. They’re either too loose and no stability or too tight and barely any carve

The stage 10 with bones mediums is doing very nicely for me, but hearing your 147 joy I might switch it back down cause I’ve been on my 148 for the last month or 2 then recently a week ago wanted to see how it was when haslam and Levi brown were riding stg10 149 when they were busting out videos riding these baby’s doing the craziest tricks

147 hi thunders are in the top 3 overall best trucks Forsure though, besides being in my top 3

yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3220 on: March 04, 2018, 12:22:45 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Must be stage 11, I love them but can never get them just right. They’re either too loose and no stability or too tight and barely any carve

The stage 10 with bones mediums is doing very nicely for me, but hearing your 147 joy I might switch it back down cause I’ve been on my 148 for the last month or 2 then recently a week ago wanted to see how it was when haslam and Levi brown were riding stg10 149 when they were busting out videos riding these baby’s doing the craziest tricks

147 hi thunders are in the top 3 overall best trucks Forsure though, besides being in my top 3

Yeah they're stage 11. And like you said: either too lose/ no stability or too tight and no carve. I have a set of each of the big 3 on standby for the madness but I'm getting bummed on stage 11. Just can't find the sweet spot. I am my most comfortable on Ventures but there is something awesome about the 147s that is hard to describe. The quick reaction turns are nice. Then what I like about ventures is the oppsite: those stable landings. But the pop and flip ability feels virtually the same to me. My stage 11 kickflips felt mega sluggish. I dunno what size decks you use but I'm 8 or 8.125 so I haven't done wider since like 91 or 92

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3221 on: March 04, 2018, 12:29:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yeah I tried them a while back for nostalgia sake, they're really hard, forgot the duro but it was rough. They're green but they're not featherlite green.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #3222 on: March 04, 2018, 01:11:12 PM »
the stock white thunder bushings are 90's right? not having an easy time trying to find replacements, which I dont quite need yet but want to have on deck for when i do, any suggestions?

edit: found some and they are 90
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 01:17:47 PM by perverted super otaku! »

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3223 on: March 04, 2018, 01:22:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Yeah I tried them a while back for nostalgia sake, they're really hard, forgot the duro but it was rough. They're green but they're not featherlite green.

True. I have a pair of featherlites that have the green. Probably will use again. Need a decent football shape deck for them

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #3224 on: March 04, 2018, 01:25:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah they're stage 11. And like you said: either too lose/ no stability or too tight and no carve. I have a set of each of the big 3 on standby for the madness but I'm getting bummed on stage 11. Just can't find the sweet spot. I am my most comfortable on Ventures but there is something awesome about the 147s that is hard to describe. The quick reaction turns are nice. Then what I like about ventures is the oppsite: those stable landings. But the pop and flip ability feels virtually the same to me. My stage 11 kickflips felt mega sluggish. I dunno what size decks you use but I'm 8 or 8.125 so I haven't done wider since like 91 or 92

I got a pair of the blue hollow stage 11 Indys with the white bushings and they randomly broke in and got really squeaky a few months down the line. Maybe they might just need some more breaking in?

*Edit: Wrote reply in the wrong space
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 01:44:57 PM by mynameisnotjeff »
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
« Reply #3225 on: March 04, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »
The madness came back and I had to kill my curiosity with my stage 10 149’s cause stop lying to yourselves the stage 11 no matter what size stage 11 feel tipsy with that 55mm height plus your 53mm-55mm wheels cause 52mm and under are for wussies that only skate flat

The stage 10 149 standards feel so goood!

Stage 12 should definitely take a dial back and be that 53.5mm height on standard casts, my kickflips were actually being caught better and maybe a little higher than compared to my favorite thunder 148 lights,

The stage 10 have this solid control feel to them, they just lack that deep crazy turn on stage 11 but I really don’t see it as a big deal, also I’m sure the bones bushing craze came from them mainly being used in stage 10’s cause they felt crazy good and stable compared to bones mediums in stage 11 139 and 149 that I have tried

I’m gonna be so sad the day these stage 10’s are done

Also I got the madness from watching some old Levi brown footage and about the stage 10 149’s
A 100%. Loved my stage 10 with bones mediums. best trucks ive ever had.
Ever since switching to 11s all ive been experiencing is worn pivot cups, shredded Bones bushings and that tipsy turning youve mentioned. On the set im skating right now ive lubricated the pivot cups before skating it, used indy replacement bushings and thought i would be ok but after 3 months of skating them the axle started slipping. im on my 4th of 5th set of shitty indys.
I dont like thunders, broke a few ventures and nowhere to buy Ace\Theeve\Whatever anywhere close so im being held hostage with these shitty stage 11s.

nosneb

« Reply #3226 on: March 04, 2018, 04:09:07 PM »
Bring back the stage 10!!! I have a old set of those and deff feels different than my stage 11s
I re learned pressure flips with how loose my trucks are I can do em with ventures hehe

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
« Reply #3227 on: March 04, 2018, 04:44:23 PM »
Stage 10s had the stock conical bushings on the bottom right? Was that older conical geometry why Bones worked so well? Am I confusing these with stage 9s? I wish I had an old set around.

nosneb

« Reply #3228 on: March 04, 2018, 05:12:55 PM »
Stage 9 was the conical, 10 ,11 uses the barrel. I always swap mine out for aftermarket conicals.

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #3229 on: March 04, 2018, 05:28:57 PM »
I just don't understand how people can tailslide with thunders. Already annoyed with my 1 month old 147s because I pretty much lost all my nose/tails slides. The baseplates never make contact with the ledge, and if the ledge isn't waxed to hell my wheels catch and I just stop. I'm thinking about finally getting some ace 33s with my tax return money.

nosneb

« Reply #3230 on: March 04, 2018, 08:07:33 PM »
Go faster?

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3231 on: March 04, 2018, 08:35:23 PM »
I have been thinking about trying Thunders, but all this talk about noseslide issues has changed my mind. Right now I am on 139 stage 9 for my 8” and 149 stage 11 on my 8.5”. I am hearing a lot of talk about Bones medium bushings, but I am wondering what makes them better than after market Indy’s? In the summer Indy bushings seem fine, but they squeak when the temp gets under, say, 50 F. Is that the issue? Would Bones Medium bushings take my truck game to the next level? BTW—I think I like the turn on the Stage 9 better but the different axel sizes does not allow for a true apples to apples.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3232 on: March 04, 2018, 11:33:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Same here, 8-8.13 cause anything bigger gets too hefty and my flat ground gets inconsistent

Yeah the quickness and the way 147 pop feels so responsive, I feel they’re the no.1 street trucks if your the core street tech skater riding decks 7.8-8.1, they have just enough clearance so you can actually turn some but low enough to get a quick pop

Stage 9 was the conical, 10 ,11 uses the barrel. I always swap mine out for aftermarket conicals.

Actually stage 10 had the conical stock, stage 11 did the barrel cause of how tall and unstable they are ahaha

Stage 10s had the stock conical bushings on the bottom right? Was that older conical geometry why Bones worked so well? Am I confusing these with stage 9s? I wish I had an old set around.

I feel that’s why bones bushings work best in stage 10 and made stage 10 with bones bushings the most popular setup that got everyone to get bones and throw them in and try , stage 11 are just too tall for conicals unless you really like that looseness

Expand Quote
The madness came back and I had to kill my curiosity with my stage 10 149’s cause stop lying to yourselves the stage 11 no matter what size stage 11 feel tipsy with that 55mm height plus your 53mm-55mm wheels cause 52mm and under are for wussies that only skate flat

The stage 10 149 standards feel so goood!

Stage 12 should definitely take a dial back and be that 53.5mm height on standard casts, my kickflips were actually being caught better and maybe a little higher than compared to my favorite thunder 148 lights,

The stage 10 have this solid control feel to them, they just lack that deep crazy turn on stage 11 but I really don’t see it as a big deal, also I’m sure the bones bushing craze came from them mainly being used in stage 10’s cause they felt crazy good and stable compared to bones mediums in stage 11 139 and 149 that I have tried

I’m gonna be so sad the day these stage 10’s are done

Also I got the madness from watching some old Levi brown footage and about the stage 10 149’s
[close]
A 100%. Loved my stage 10 with bones mediums. best trucks ive ever had.
Ever since switching to 11s all ive been experiencing is worn pivot cups, shredded Bones bushings and that tipsy turning youve mentioned. On the set im skating right now ive lubricated the pivot cups before skating it, used indy replacement bushings and thought i would be ok but after 3 months of skating them the axle started slipping. im on my 4th of 5th set of shitty indys.
I dont like thunders, broke a few ventures and nowhere to buy Ace\Theeve\Whatever anywhere close so im being held hostage with these shitty stage 11s.

Hopefully that post N.L. Posted back a few months where the guy who works on Indy was being interviewed is true mentioning that they’re working on a lower standard Indy, a mid I think it was saying

It’d be cool though, replace the now out of production Indy low and bring back the stage 10 height standard as the Indy mid and keep the Indy high for those that actually like the deep tipsy turns so everyone’s happy
yes

Horsemeat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #3233 on: March 04, 2018, 11:39:47 PM »
Is this nose/tail slide thing on thunders real, or just madness? Seems like it’s really only an issue on perfectly square ledges. People slide blunts fine on all trucks and that’s entirely wheels. I suck at all those tricks so don’t really know haha  :-\

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #3234 on: March 05, 2018, 12:35:27 AM »
Is this nose/tail slide thing on thunders real, or just madness? Seems like it’s really only an issue on perfectly square ledges. People slide blunts fine on all trucks and that’s entirely wheels. I suck at all those tricks so don’t really know haha  :-\

Thats why blunts are considered harder... if trucks make a nose/tailslide as hard to slide as a bluntslide then there is clearly a problem. That being said, I never noticed any problems on my thunders until others pointed it out. None of the people I know who skate thunders have any problems either. Though side by side it may well make a difference.

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3235 on: March 05, 2018, 12:24:51 PM »
I rode Thunder 149’s for the last few years, a few months ago I hooked up some Venture 5.8 Hi’s. They are so much more stable and still turn well, after replacing the bushings with Indy white super soft, they are great. No risers needed with the Ventures unlike the Thunders where I have to ride 1/8” riders with 54mm wheels.

I had both boards in the car yesterday, rode Ventures all morning after lunch I thought about skating the Thunders, rolled around the parking lot for a few minutes on it and then grabbed the board with Ventures again. After feeling the difference and thinking about the nose/tailslide issues, it was a no brainer. The Ventures just feel better to me.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:31:50 PM by NJFly318 »

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #3236 on: March 05, 2018, 12:45:05 PM »
Earlier someone mentioned putting indy conicals in ventures and I'm wondering in what ways it changes the way your ventures ride. I'm mainly just wondering if it takes away from those stable landings you get on ventures

Diocletian

« Reply #3237 on: March 05, 2018, 02:13:28 PM »
I have some NOS stainless steel Gullwing inverted kingpins 55mm in length brand new. If anyone wants to buy them DM me. I didn’t make a new thread in the classifieds cause I doubt anyone outside of this thread would buy them.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #3238 on: March 05, 2018, 04:07:42 PM »
Dang you guys got me feeling good about my Stage 10s I have sitting around.  I had just been using them to pry bearings out of wheels, but I think I'll set them up for tomorrow.

My stage 10s are 10.0 though, not 10.5.  I believe the 10.0 have just the iron cross on the baseplate, and on the 10.5s they have the cross with an outline around it.

Link related

https://www.skateamerica.com/products/independent-159-stage-10-5-forged-titanium-standard-silver-silver-156mm-skateboard-trucks?variant=998319415

And I think these are stage 10 too because all their other Indys are listed as Stage 11

https://www.skateamerica.com/products/independent-149-stage-11-polished-forged-titanium-standard-silver-silver-150mm-skateboard-trucks?variant=998319915

NJFly318

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3239 on: March 05, 2018, 04:38:50 PM »
Earlier someone mentioned putting indy conicals in ventures and I'm wondering in what ways it changes the way your ventures ride. I'm mainly just wondering if it takes away from those stable landings you get on ventures

My Indy aftermarket are cylinder not conical, the super soft only come that way.