Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 297231 times)

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3270 on: March 04, 2018, 11:33:41 PM »
I've been trying to break in a set of Indys for 2 weeks, tightening/loosening etc. Last night I put in a new set of Thunder 147s .. no tightening and skating was perfection. Part of me feels like I keep trying Indys in hopes of recapturing that stage 7 magic and it just isn't working. Also, I still love Ventures too. I find the Venture lo 5.25 and Thunder 147 hi to be very similar. Not in the ride itself but the technical aspects (I mean , tricks feel very similar)) to me on both). Thunders definitely have a looser turn that is fun but Ventures have a nice stability on landings. So I guess for now I'm going back n forth between Venture and Thunder

Must be stage 11, I love them but can never get them just right. Theyíre either too loose and no stability or too tight and barely any carve

The stage 10 with bones mediums is doing very nicely for me, but hearing your 147 joy I might switch it back down cause Iíve been on my 148 for the last month or 2 then recently a week ago wanted to see how it was when haslam and Levi brown were riding stg10 149 when they were busting out videos riding these babyís doing the craziest tricks

147 hi thunders are in the top 3 overall best trucks Forsure though, besides being in my top 3

Yeah they're stage 11. And like you said: either too lose/ no stability or too tight and no carve. I have a set of each of the big 3 on standby for the madness but I'm getting bummed on stage 11. Just can't find the sweet spot. I am my most comfortable on Ventures but there is something awesome about the 147s that is hard to describe. The quick reaction turns are nice. Then what I like about ventures is the oppsite: those stable landings. But the pop and flip ability feels virtually the same to me. My stage 11 kickflips felt mega sluggish. I dunno what size decks you use but I'm 8 or 8.125 so I haven't done wider since like 91 or 92

Same here, 8-8.13 cause anything bigger gets too hefty and my flat ground gets inconsistent

Yeah the quickness and the way 147 pop feels so responsive, I feel theyíre the no.1 street trucks if your the core street tech skater riding decks 7.8-8.1, they have just enough clearance so you can actually turn some but low enough to get a quick pop

Stage 9 was the conical, 10 ,11 uses the barrel. I always swap mine out for aftermarket conicals.

Actually stage 10 had the conical stock, stage 11 did the barrel cause of how tall and unstable they are ahaha

Stage 10s had the stock conical bushings on the bottom right? Was that older conical geometry why Bones worked so well? Am I confusing these with stage 9s? I wish I had an old set around.

I feel thatís why bones bushings work best in stage 10 and made stage 10 with bones bushings the most popular setup that got everyone to get bones and throw them in and try , stage 11 are just too tall for conicals unless you really like that looseness

The madness came back and I had to kill my curiosity with my stage 10 149ís cause stop lying to yourselves the stage 11 no matter what size stage 11 feel tipsy with that 55mm height plus your 53mm-55mm wheels cause 52mm and under are for wussies that only skate flat

The stage 10 149 standards feel so goood!

Stage 12 should definitely take a dial back and be that 53.5mm height on standard casts, my kickflips were actually being caught better and maybe a little higher than compared to my favorite thunder 148 lights,

The stage 10 have this solid control feel to them, they just lack that deep crazy turn on stage 11 but I really donít see it as a big deal, also Iím sure the bones bushing craze came from them mainly being used in stage 10ís cause they felt crazy good and stable compared to bones mediums in stage 11 139 and 149 that I have tried

Iím gonna be so sad the day these stage 10ís are done

Also I got the madness from watching some old Levi brown footage and about the stage 10 149ís
A 100%. Loved my stage 10 with bones mediums. best trucks ive ever had.
Ever since switching to 11s all ive been experiencing is worn pivot cups, shredded Bones bushings and that tipsy turning youve mentioned. On the set im skating right now ive lubricated the pivot cups before skating it, used indy replacement bushings and thought i would be ok but after 3 months of skating them the axle started slipping. im on my 4th of 5th set of shitty indys.
I dont like thunders, broke a few ventures and nowhere to buy Ace\Theeve\Whatever anywhere close so im being held hostage with these shitty stage 11s.

Hopefully that post N.L. Posted back a few months where the guy who works on Indy was being interviewed is true mentioning that theyíre working on a lower standard Indy, a mid I think it was saying

Itíd be cool though, replace the now out of production Indy low and bring back the stage 10 height standard as the Indy mid and keep the Indy high for those that actually like the deep tipsy turns so everyoneís happy
yes

Horsemeat

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3271 on: March 04, 2018, 11:39:47 PM »
Is this nose/tail slide thing on thunders real, or just madness? Seems like itís really only an issue on perfectly square ledges. People slide blunts fine on all trucks and thatís entirely wheels. I suck at all those tricks so donít really know haha  :-\

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #3272 on: March 05, 2018, 12:35:27 AM »
Is this nose/tail slide thing on thunders real, or just madness? Seems like itís really only an issue on perfectly square ledges. People slide blunts fine on all trucks and thatís entirely wheels. I suck at all those tricks so donít really know haha  :-\

Thats why blunts are considered harder... if trucks make a nose/tailslide as hard to slide as a bluntslide then there is clearly a problem. That being said, I never noticed any problems on my thunders until others pointed it out. None of the people I know who skate thunders have any problems either. Though side by side it may well make a difference.

NJFly318

« Reply #3273 on: March 05, 2018, 12:24:51 PM »
I rode Thunder 149ís for the last few years, a few months ago I hooked up some Venture 5.8 Hiís. They are so much more stable and still turn well, after replacing the bushings with Indy white super soft, they are great. No risers needed with the Ventures unlike the Thunders where I have to ride 1/8Ē riders with 54mm wheels.

I had both boards in the car yesterday, rode Ventures all morning after lunch I thought about skating the Thunders, rolled around the parking lot for a few minutes on it and then grabbed the board with Ventures again. After feeling the difference and thinking about the nose/tailslide issues, it was a no brainer. The Ventures just feel better to me.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 06:31:50 PM by NJFly318 »

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #3274 on: March 05, 2018, 12:45:05 PM »
Earlier someone mentioned putting indy conicals in ventures and I'm wondering in what ways it changes the way your ventures ride. I'm mainly just wondering if it takes away from those stable landings you get on ventures

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3275 on: March 05, 2018, 02:13:28 PM »
I have some NOS stainless steel Gullwing inverted kingpins 55mm in length brand new. If anyone wants to buy them DM me. I didnít make a new thread in the classifieds cause I doubt anyone outside of this thread would buy them.

full of jerks

• Rep: -11
« Reply #3276 on: March 05, 2018, 04:07:42 PM »
Dang you guys got me feeling good about my Stage 10s I have sitting around.  I had just been using them to pry bearings out of wheels, but I think I'll set them up for tomorrow.

My stage 10s are 10.0 though, not 10.5.  I believe the 10.0 have just the iron cross on the baseplate, and on the 10.5s they have the cross with an outline around it.

Link related

https://www.skateamerica.com/products/independent-159-stage-10-5-forged-titanium-standard-silver-silver-156mm-skateboard-trucks?variant=998319415

And I think these are stage 10 too because all their other Indys are listed as Stage 11

https://www.skateamerica.com/products/independent-149-stage-11-polished-forged-titanium-standard-silver-silver-150mm-skateboard-trucks?variant=998319915

NJFly318

« Reply #3277 on: March 05, 2018, 04:38:50 PM »
Earlier someone mentioned putting indy conicals in ventures and I'm wondering in what ways it changes the way your ventures ride. I'm mainly just wondering if it takes away from those stable landings you get on ventures

My Indy aftermarket are cylinder not conical, the super soft only come that way.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3278 on: March 05, 2018, 05:26:59 PM »
Dang you guys got me feeling good about my Stage 10s I have sitting around.  I had just been using them to pry bearings out of wheels, but I think I'll set them up for tomorrow.

My stage 10s are 10.0 though, not 10.5.  I believe the 10.0 have just the iron cross on the baseplate, and on the 10.5s they have the cross with an outline around it.

Link related

https://www.skateamerica.com/products/independent-159-stage-10-5-forged-titanium-standard-silver-silver-156mm-skateboard-trucks?variant=998319415

And I think these are stage 10 too because all their other Indys are listed as Stage 11

https://www.skateamerica.com/products/independent-149-stage-11-polished-forged-titanium-standard-silver-silver-150mm-skateboard-trucks?variant=998319915

Yeah pal, these stage 10 149 standards Iím riding on for the last week straight have been crazy amazing! I luckily had a complete stock bushing set from some stage 10 139 I regretfully sold but kept the bushings and now using them in the 149 and damn the trucks feel amazing, not exaggerating they feel like a less wobbly and just a tad lower ace

Indy should definitely bring back a revamped stage 10, basically a stage 11 standard but 53.5 height gravity cast truck

The turning response with the stock stage 10 conicals respond almost as fast as thunder but actually carve deeper and feel great

I noticed too the kingpin clearance is good,  Iíd say like a thunder 147 amount
yes

GardenSkater77

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3279 on: March 05, 2018, 05:34:14 PM »
Can stage 11 hangers be used on stage 9 base plates or is the geometry fooked? I want to lighten up my 149 trucks. Also, what does boiling cushions do? Break down the urethane and allow for more squish and less squeak? My trucks be squeaking bad at 45 F.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3280 on: March 05, 2018, 06:38:49 PM »
Can stage 11 hangers be used on stage 9 base plates or is the geometry fooked? I want to lighten up my 149 trucks. Also, what does boiling cushions do? Break down the urethane and allow for more squish and less squeak? My trucks be squeaking bad at 45 F.

Have you tried coating some parts in paraffin wax? That usually cures 99% of creaks.

GardenSkater77

« Reply #3281 on: March 06, 2018, 01:29:24 AM »
Thanks. Will try waxing my bushings.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #3282 on: March 06, 2018, 05:44:55 AM »

Don't forget the pivot cups, kid

Krooked antihero

• Rep: 32
« Reply #3283 on: March 06, 2018, 01:03:02 PM »

Don't forget the pivot cups, kid
This.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #3284 on: March 06, 2018, 03:26:51 PM »
Can stage 11 hangers be used on stage 9 base plates or is the geometry fooked? I want to lighten up my 149 trucks.

My guess is they will work but who knows what they will turn like.

Also, what does boiling cushions do? Break down the urethane and allow for more squish and less squeak?

It supposedly makes them softer (less break in time if they are new); I've never noticed a difference after doing it.

My trucks be squeaking bad at 45 F.

Put some wax or soap chips in your pivot cups.

danjtony

« Reply #3285 on: March 06, 2018, 04:42:42 PM »
I rode stage 9 hangers on stage 11 baseplates for over a year and I thought they felt normal, but idk, if you're posting in this thread then any percieved difference could make you lose your damn mind.

Diocletian

« Reply #3286 on: March 06, 2018, 07:10:30 PM »
Anyone know how tall 149 & 151 thunders are with the FORGED plates? I donít think Tacticsí table is correct, they list the height of the cast plate ones even when you click on the forged trucks.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3287 on: March 06, 2018, 10:56:51 PM »
Anyone know how tall 149 & 151 thunders are with the FORGED plates? I donít think Tacticsí table is correct, they list the height of the cast plate ones even when you click on the forged trucks.
Isn't the difference usually 1.5mm? Just take the cast list height and subtract 1.5, shouldn't be far off.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #3288 on: March 06, 2018, 11:19:48 PM »
I know it's been asked before but if I switch from 169s should I go for 55 or 66?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
« Reply #3289 on: March 06, 2018, 11:58:32 PM »
I know it's been asked before but if I switch from 169s should I go for 55 or 66?

Probably 66s. 55s are about 9 inches wide(some say just under), whereas 66s are like 9.35 inches wide. I believe 169s are 9.125. It depends more on your board size, go with the one thats closer to your board size.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 48
« Reply #3290 on: March 07, 2018, 12:22:57 AM »

Probably 66s. 55s are about 9 inches wide(some say just under), whereas 66s are like 9.35 inches wide. I believe 169s are 9.125. It depends more on your board size, go with the one thats closer to your board size.

Thank you!
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3291 on: March 08, 2018, 06:37:54 PM »
Okay so the madness was getting to me and I had to try my 148 again and hereís me verdict

If you missed the stage 10 you can have it in either the form of

Thunder 148 standard/team models: has the quick turn and solid stable feel of stage 10 149 Indy but not as deep on carve and turn but very solid feel

Ace 44: same deep carve and about as fast too, but not as stable feeling and not as solid feeling either

So yeah, if you missed the Indy 149 stage 10 those are close matches
yes

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -385
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3292 on: March 08, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »
you know rob, I never would have guessed that you'd get the madness again ;)

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #yearoftheeagle

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3293 on: March 08, 2018, 08:44:32 PM »
you know rob, I never would have guessed that you'd get the madness again ;)

Haha I never thought either riding the same deck for the last 3-4 months and then finally sticking to the 148 for id say a month straight then idk, I thought about how I transitioned from 147 to 148, and all you psychos know thatís a significant jump from 8-8.25 wide and 50mm-53.?mm tall which I account to finding out I like my shoes snug and wearing shoes that fit better having more control

But yeah with more control I decided hey Indyís are badass punk trucks that were the same height as my thunder 148 on my stage 10 and a bit wider at the old 149 width being around 8.3? Wide actually not 8.5 and man was it a transition in boardfeel

The Indyís felt so classic sturdy stable turny trucks, it felt almost reliving the old days of small decks and solid trucks with no gimmicks just riding what you liked or thought was cool and the trucks just worked

I noticed haslam rode the stg 10 149 for a while even when the 11ís were out, Iím sure itís cause he felt the tipping some of us feel
yes

Gay Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -385
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3294 on: March 08, 2018, 08:52:42 PM »
hey mate, whatever floats your boat.
I'm actually glad I took your advice when I was asking for a no fuss/ ready to roll truck even though a few of you have recently gotten me paranoid with the "thunder trucks don't noseslide properly" propaganda.

"This is untrue, my client has not been attacked in every country" #yearoftheeagle

Diocletian

« Reply #3295 on: March 08, 2018, 09:08:14 PM »
Anyone here ever had a set of Indy LOW bushings and notice a difference in height on the TOP bushing compared to the standard size? Was wondering if theyíd work well in some Aceís at making them even more loose and wobbly than a standard Indy bushing or the shorter Krux top.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -183
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3296 on: March 08, 2018, 09:29:03 PM »
What bushing combos have some of you guys been using for Ventures? 

Iíve skated these discontinued 5.8 V-Hollow Lights on & off throughout the madness for about 4 years now and have committed to finishing them off for good before I skate anything else. They arenít totally shredded but the stock bushings are old as shit and been thru multiple Arizona summers, Iím sure they can be replaced with something better at this point

I thought about using the Bones bushings from my Theeves but the bottom Conical Bones bushings seem a little short compared to the cylinder stock ones. Looks like itíd throw off the geometry so Iím hesitant to try it.

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #3297 on: March 08, 2018, 09:38:23 PM »
What bushing combos have some of you guys been using for Ventures? 

Iíve skated these discontinued 5.8 V-Hollow Lights on & off throughout the madness for about 4 years now and have committed to finishing them off for good before I skate anything else. They arenít totally shredded but the stock bushings are old as shit and been thru multiple Arizona summers, Iím sure they can be replaced with something better at this point

I thought about using the Bones bushings from my Theeves but the bottom Conical Bones bushings seem a little short compared to the cylinder stock ones. Looks like itíd throw off the geometry so Iím hesitant to try it.
Buy bones bushings, use the black washer that comes with them under the bottom bushing and the stock or no washer on top. Works well for me. You can use bones but you need to keep a washer underneath with Ventures to maintain geometry, the stock washer is too wide with the conical shape and will bite into the hangar. If you donít wanna buy new bushings you can buy washers from any hardware store, but the best solution is to buy a fresh set of bones and use their washer on the bottom.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:41:04 PM by RumpelFoarskin »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #3298 on: March 08, 2018, 09:40:50 PM »
Good chance the bushings in your theeves aren't bones if they came stock....
I think Rob posted in the sale thread......theeves....cheap....

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -183
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3299 on: March 08, 2018, 09:45:59 PM »
Good chance the bushings in your theeves aren't bones if they came stock....
I think Rob posted in the sale thread......theeves....cheap....

I have noticed that they donít highlight it at all in their marketing anymore. They look identical & work great in Theeves but it wouldnít surprise me if theyíre no longer using actual Bones bushings. Might just have to grab a set at the shop before I skate tomorrow