Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220552 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3240 on: March 05, 2018, 05:26:59 PM »
Dang you guys got me feeling good about my Stage 10s I have sitting around.  I had just been using them to pry bearings out of wheels, but I think I'll set them up for tomorrow.

My stage 10s are 10.0 though, not 10.5.  I believe the 10.0 have just the iron cross on the baseplate, and on the 10.5s they have the cross with an outline around it.

Link related

https://www.skateamerica.com/products/independent-159-stage-10-5-forged-titanium-standard-silver-silver-156mm-skateboard-trucks?variant=998319415

And I think these are stage 10 too because all their other Indys are listed as Stage 11

https://www.skateamerica.com/products/independent-149-stage-11-polished-forged-titanium-standard-silver-silver-150mm-skateboard-trucks?variant=998319915

Yeah pal, these stage 10 149 standards I’m riding on for the last week straight have been crazy amazing! I luckily had a complete stock bushing set from some stage 10 139 I regretfully sold but kept the bushings and now using them in the 149 and damn the trucks feel amazing, not exaggerating they feel like a less wobbly and just a tad lower ace

Indy should definitely bring back a revamped stage 10, basically a stage 11 standard but 53.5 height gravity cast truck

The turning response with the stock stage 10 conicals respond almost as fast as thunder but actually carve deeper and feel great

I noticed too the kingpin clearance is good,  I’d say like a thunder 147 amount
yes

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3241 on: March 05, 2018, 05:34:14 PM »
Can stage 11 hangers be used on stage 9 base plates or is the geometry fooked? I want to lighten up my 149 trucks. Also, what does boiling cushions do? Break down the urethane and allow for more squish and less squeak? My trucks be squeaking bad at 45 F.

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3242 on: March 05, 2018, 06:38:49 PM »
Can stage 11 hangers be used on stage 9 base plates or is the geometry fooked? I want to lighten up my 149 trucks. Also, what does boiling cushions do? Break down the urethane and allow for more squish and less squeak? My trucks be squeaking bad at 45 F.

Have you tried coating some parts in paraffin wax? That usually cures 99% of creaks.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3243 on: March 06, 2018, 01:29:24 AM »
Thanks. Will try waxing my bushings.

Deekay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #3244 on: March 06, 2018, 05:44:55 AM »

Don't forget the pivot cups, kid

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 157
« Reply #3245 on: March 06, 2018, 01:03:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Don't forget the pivot cups, kid
This.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3246 on: March 06, 2018, 03:26:51 PM »
Can stage 11 hangers be used on stage 9 base plates or is the geometry fooked? I want to lighten up my 149 trucks.

My guess is they will work but who knows what they will turn like.

Also, what does boiling cushions do? Break down the urethane and allow for more squish and less squeak?

It supposedly makes them softer (less break in time if they are new); I've never noticed a difference after doing it.

My trucks be squeaking bad at 45 F.

Put some wax or soap chips in your pivot cups.

danjtony

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3247 on: March 06, 2018, 04:42:42 PM »
I rode stage 9 hangers on stage 11 baseplates for over a year and I thought they felt normal, but idk, if you're posting in this thread then any percieved difference could make you lose your damn mind.

Diocletian

« Reply #3248 on: March 06, 2018, 07:10:30 PM »
Anyone know how tall 149 & 151 thunders are with the FORGED plates? I don’t think Tactics’ table is correct, they list the height of the cast plate ones even when you click on the forged trucks.

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3249 on: March 06, 2018, 10:56:51 PM »
Anyone know how tall 149 & 151 thunders are with the FORGED plates? I don’t think Tactics’ table is correct, they list the height of the cast plate ones even when you click on the forged trucks.
Isn't the difference usually 1.5mm? Just take the cast list height and subtract 1.5, shouldn't be far off.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #3250 on: March 06, 2018, 11:19:48 PM »
I know it's been asked before but if I switch from 169s should I go for 55 or 66?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #3251 on: March 06, 2018, 11:58:32 PM »
I know it's been asked before but if I switch from 169s should I go for 55 or 66?

Probably 66s. 55s are about 9 inches wide(some say just under), whereas 66s are like 9.35 inches wide. I believe 169s are 9.125. It depends more on your board size, go with the one thats closer to your board size.

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #3252 on: March 07, 2018, 12:22:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Probably 66s. 55s are about 9 inches wide(some say just under), whereas 66s are like 9.35 inches wide. I believe 169s are 9.125. It depends more on your board size, go with the one thats closer to your board size.

Thank you!
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3253 on: March 08, 2018, 06:37:54 PM »
Okay so the madness was getting to me and I had to try my 148 again and here’s me verdict

If you missed the stage 10 you can have it in either the form of

Thunder 148 standard/team models: has the quick turn and solid stable feel of stage 10 149 Indy but not as deep on carve and turn but very solid feel

Ace 44: same deep carve and about as fast too, but not as stable feeling and not as solid feeling either

So yeah, if you missed the Indy 149 stage 10 those are close matches
yes

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3254 on: March 08, 2018, 06:46:15 PM »
you know rob, I never would have guessed that you'd get the madness again ;)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3255 on: March 08, 2018, 08:44:32 PM »
you know rob, I never would have guessed that you'd get the madness again ;)

Haha I never thought either riding the same deck for the last 3-4 months and then finally sticking to the 148 for id say a month straight then idk, I thought about how I transitioned from 147 to 148, and all you psychos know that’s a significant jump from 8-8.25 wide and 50mm-53.?mm tall which I account to finding out I like my shoes snug and wearing shoes that fit better having more control

But yeah with more control I decided hey Indy’s are badass punk trucks that were the same height as my thunder 148 on my stage 10 and a bit wider at the old 149 width being around 8.3? Wide actually not 8.5 and man was it a transition in boardfeel

The Indy’s felt so classic sturdy stable turny trucks, it felt almost reliving the old days of small decks and solid trucks with no gimmicks just riding what you liked or thought was cool and the trucks just worked

I noticed haslam rode the stg 10 149 for a while even when the 11’s were out, I’m sure it’s cause he felt the tipping some of us feel
yes

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3256 on: March 08, 2018, 08:52:42 PM »
hey mate, whatever floats your boat.
I'm actually glad I took your advice when I was asking for a no fuss/ ready to roll truck even though a few of you have recently gotten me paranoid with the "thunder trucks don't noseslide properly" propaganda.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Diocletian

« Reply #3257 on: March 08, 2018, 09:08:14 PM »
Anyone here ever had a set of Indy LOW bushings and notice a difference in height on the TOP bushing compared to the standard size? Was wondering if they’d work well in some Ace’s at making them even more loose and wobbly than a standard Indy bushing or the shorter Krux top.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3258 on: March 08, 2018, 09:29:03 PM »
What bushing combos have some of you guys been using for Ventures? 

I’ve skated these discontinued 5.8 V-Hollow Lights on & off throughout the madness for about 4 years now and have committed to finishing them off for good before I skate anything else. They aren’t totally shredded but the stock bushings are old as shit and been thru multiple Arizona summers, I’m sure they can be replaced with something better at this point

I thought about using the Bones bushings from my Theeves but the bottom Conical Bones bushings seem a little short compared to the cylinder stock ones. Looks like it’d throw off the geometry so I’m hesitant to try it.

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #3259 on: March 08, 2018, 09:38:23 PM »
What bushing combos have some of you guys been using for Ventures? 

I’ve skated these discontinued 5.8 V-Hollow Lights on & off throughout the madness for about 4 years now and have committed to finishing them off for good before I skate anything else. They aren’t totally shredded but the stock bushings are old as shit and been thru multiple Arizona summers, I’m sure they can be replaced with something better at this point

I thought about using the Bones bushings from my Theeves but the bottom Conical Bones bushings seem a little short compared to the cylinder stock ones. Looks like it’d throw off the geometry so I’m hesitant to try it.
Buy bones bushings, use the black washer that comes with them under the bottom bushing and the stock or no washer on top. Works well for me. You can use bones but you need to keep a washer underneath with Ventures to maintain geometry, the stock washer is too wide with the conical shape and will bite into the hangar. If you don’t wanna buy new bushings you can buy washers from any hardware store, but the best solution is to buy a fresh set of bones and use their washer on the bottom.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 09:41:04 PM by RumpelFoarskin »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1566
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3260 on: March 08, 2018, 09:40:50 PM »
Good chance the bushings in your theeves aren't bones if they came stock....
I think Rob posted in the sale thread......theeves....cheap....

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #3261 on: March 08, 2018, 09:45:59 PM »
Good chance the bushings in your theeves aren't bones if they came stock....
I think Rob posted in the sale thread......theeves....cheap....

I have noticed that they don’t highlight it at all in their marketing anymore. They look identical & work great in Theeves but it wouldn’t surprise me if they’re no longer using actual Bones bushings. Might just have to grab a set at the shop before I skate tomorrow

nosneb

• Rep: 78
« Reply #3262 on: March 09, 2018, 07:56:41 AM »
edited: post was taken down but someone shopped some indy 215s to 159mm they looked sick af

« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 02:21:23 PM by nosneb »

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3263 on: March 11, 2018, 04:52:21 AM »
I just wanted to set up my new indys 139 Stg 11 and saw that they forgot to drill the holes in them. I reached out to NHS directly, but I am not sure how that works out since I live in Europe. Also these would be my first Indys not made in USA... not saying it´s because of that but it certainly is weird.

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
« Reply #3264 on: March 11, 2018, 05:59:18 AM »
I just wanted to set up my new indys 139 Stg 11 and saw that they forgot to drill the holes in them. I reached out to NHS directly, but I am not sure how that works out since I live in Europe. Also these would be my first Indys not made in USA... not saying it´s because of that but it certainly is weird.

Holy shit. That does make me wonder about the current and future quality though

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3265 on: March 11, 2018, 06:12:05 AM »
I also decided to deal with my madness, I'm just gonna have 3 setups. One with Indys, one with venture, one with thunder. Although been skating the one with thunders. I haven't tightened them at all and they skate great. 

DaSk8D00D

« Reply #3266 on: March 11, 2018, 03:18:52 PM »
Man as soon as I commit to my Ventures, buy new bushings, and replace all the nuts, washers, etc. I find out that I most likely have axel slip in one of the hangers, if not both

I had my suspicions already because when I'd put wheels on, it'd seem like there was more axel sticking out of the nut on one side than the other. Today I landed primo, and the wheel one the side that hit the ground was stuck. smacked the axel on the other side, and it loosened up a little. I wanted to ride these shits til they were totally beat so I'm gonna hang in there for a little bit longer unless it gets to be too much. Anyone else rode some trucks like this for a while? It's not too bad right now, but I know its only gonna get worse. I know conical wheels might help the axles avoid contact with the ground but I like what Im riding now

Horsemeat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #3267 on: March 11, 2018, 09:37:15 PM »
I also decided to deal with my madness, I'm just gonna have 3 setups. One with Indys, one with venture, one with thunder. Although been skating the one with thunders. I haven't tightened them at all and they skate great.

Just came back in from my garage from doing the same thing. I have three set ups:

Real twin tail 8.38 with ace 44
Krooked 8.25 with thunder 149
Quasi 8.125 with Indy 144 hollows and honest mediums

I keep wanting to just be a non madness person and just skate the Indy’s but they always feel so wobbly to me. I have the thunders and aces setup stock and they both feel so much more stable and turn nicely when I want them to.

Maybe it’s just the axle width but I can’t let myself buy a new pair of trucks for 1/8 inch difference on either side.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:49:25 PM by Horsemeat »

fang

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3268 on: March 12, 2018, 05:59:57 AM »
I'd like to just go back to using Indys and not thinking about trucks myself. I know I overanalyze every aspect of it. I believe a lot of it is, I obsess over it all day at work (it's kinda how I get through the boring ness of work), then with the limited time I actually do get to skate, I'm over thinking every feeling/ trick I do. Like 1 weird Ollie:" welp,  these are whack." It had been just Indys vs ventures since stage 9 (I can't emphasize how much I hate those), but a year ago I tried thunders so now they're in there too. I also suppose after having the greatness of Indys from 86-03, it's hard to not want to use them. I'm trying to make myself use the deck with thunders first. When the deck dies, I'll probably go back to my Indys set up .

Speaking of stage 9, I'll never forget getting those in the mail, looking at them and going "what's this shit?". Now keep in mind for years leading up to this , all I'd do is tighten front truck 2 times, back 3 times and be done for lifespan of trucks. Those 9s I dicked around with days on end (I skated way more then) , and they never felt right. It's sort of funny how mad I was about it but seriously, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 06:06:28 AM by fang »

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3269 on: March 12, 2018, 01:17:41 PM »
I wish I could skate indysbecause that turn is great, but I can't deal with the pop on them.  It's totally just me because guys like tiago and durao have zero issues with pop.  I feel like I have to exert so much more effort in getting up on or over something, where with ventures it just feels natural and less effort to me.