Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1221074 times)

fang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 195
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3270 on: March 12, 2018, 03:16:25 PM »
I wish I could skate indysbecause that turn is great, but I can't deal with the pop on them.  It's totally just me because guys like tiago and durao have zero issues with pop.  I feel like I have to exert so much more effort in getting up on or over something, where with ventures it just feels natural and less effort to me.

Venture pop is great. Sheffey, Stevie, Kalis, O'Connor all had mad pop with the V-Force

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 939
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3271 on: March 12, 2018, 09:02:50 PM »
I'd like to just go back to using Indys and not thinking about trucks myself. I know I overanalyze every aspect of it. I believe a lot of it is, I obsess over it all day at work (it's kinda how I get through the boring ness of work), then with the limited time I actually do get to skate, I'm over thinking every feeling/ trick I do. Like 1 weird Ollie:" welp,  these are whack." It had been just Indys vs ventures since stage 9 (I can't emphasize how much I hate those), but a year ago I tried thunders so now they're in there too. I also suppose after having the greatness of Indys from 86-03, it's hard to not want to use them. I'm trying to make myself use the deck with thunders first. When the deck dies, I'll probably go back to my Indys set up .

Speaking of stage 9, I'll never forget getting those in the mail, looking at them and going "what's this shit?". Now keep in mind for years leading up to this , all I'd do is tighten front truck 2 times, back 3 times and be done for lifespan of trucks. Those 9s I dicked around with days on end (I skated way more then) , and they never felt right. It's sort of funny how mad I was about it but seriously, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I fuck around with trucks way too much, and it hurts the skating not using the same setup day in, day out but what I have found is I only fuck with:

Indy, to make them turn sharper
Thunder, to make them carvier
ACE, to make them lighter and a bit more stable - I ride too loose for them to work as designed honeslty

The only truck I don't really fuck with other than throwing in softer bushings? Theeves - so if I can fight off my OCD and not swap them, I should be good ;)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3272 on: March 13, 2018, 12:38:53 AM »
Yeah the madness gets to all of us eventually

I was trying my stage 11 149 just to see the difference to my stage 10 and honestly idk what it was, maybe cause I used the doh doh 92a, and damn they weren’t bad.

I mean still kinda tall cause I had to put more effort into jumping higher and catching my tricks a little on the floppy side but they felt good on the pop, turn and response

Smooth is how I would describe it, not as good to go thunders on the call with proper evened out pop and response but the Indy’s feel very comfortable just, a tad tall so hmmmm

Truthfully all this madness I wanna blame on decks and wheelbase cause I feel the Indy’s are only working In my favor for the first time cause I got them on a deluxe with 14.4 wheelbase so the Indy’s even out that longboard feel, then again it’s really probably whatever trucks can turn and respond the way you like over everything

Idk, literally I kid you all not. The heavy ass Indy 149 were easier to pull out a kick flip with proper catch and land than my thunder 148 on my krooked with the long 14.4 wheel base
yes

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #3273 on: March 13, 2018, 01:49:11 AM »

I was trying my stage 11 149 just to see the difference to my stage 10 and honestly idk what it was, maybe cause I used the doh doh 92a, and damn they weren’t bad.

I mean still kinda tall cause I had to put more effort into jumping higher and catching my tricks a little on the floppy side but they felt good on the pop, turn and response

Smooth is how I would describe it, not as good to go thunders on the call with proper evened out pop and response but the Indy’s feel very comfortable just, a tad tall so hmmmm

Truthfully all this madness I wanna blame on decks and wheelbase cause I feel the Indy’s are only working In my favor for the first time cause I got them on a deluxe with 14.4 wheelbase so the Indy’s even out that longboard feel, then again it’s really probably whatever trucks can turn and respond the way you like over everything

Idk, literally I kid you all not. The heavy ass Indy 149 were easier to pull out a kick flip with proper catch and land than my thunder 148 on my krooked with the long 14.4 wheel base
This is it, the final post for my study. Since July of 2016 I have been compiling a list of all your opinions and truck insights. Basically your faviourite truck and why at said given date you posted. Also a separate graph with your pros and cons of each truck brand, and the period of time between postings (how long you stick with your decisions to use your “faviourite” truck). There seem to be some trends and my final consensus simply put is rob likes whatever rob isn’t using currently, but there’s a few more insights that’s a simplified version. It might actually provide some sense in terms of skateboarding trucks and their performance based off of what you have observed. I have a friend who is a Cognitive psychotherapist writing a paper on Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy that I don’t understand at all, but he has gone over all your insights and made a report on your personality and behaviours, that you can evaluate to see how far off it is.  Obviously it might not be 100 percent accurate as there’s some details he can’t extrapolate from just this aspect of your life (personalities are complex). I’ll be posting my report to you soon and you can decide wether or not you are comfortable with me posting it in this thread. I feel I now have enough information.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:58:36 AM by RumpelFoarskin »

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #3274 on: March 13, 2018, 03:19:31 AM »
Here's an idea... find a set of trucks you like (don't worry if they're not Indy), keep them stock and keep them on. You might just adjust to them. It's really that simple.

Yeah, I wonder, how many people would be doing all these mods if this thread didn't exist? Honestly?

I've skated for 30+ years and never heard of such effort to get some holy grail truck. I have changed some bushings out over the years here and there but only if they were gifted to me by the shop guy.

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #3275 on: March 13, 2018, 05:52:36 AM »
Ditched my forged hollow thunders (that I couldn't nose/tailslide with to save my life) for some polished 5.25 Venture Highs. I slapped on some indy super soft aftermarket bushings and it's magical. They have a great surfy turn and I can't get them to wheelbite even if I try. Also the baseplates actually make contact with ledges so I can nose/tailslide again.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3276 on: March 13, 2018, 06:44:16 AM »
The geometry of the turn is enough to warrant curiosity for me. I wondered what made my fury trucks different from my tensors back in the day. Now I have found Valhalla.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3277 on: March 13, 2018, 08:51:04 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
This is it, the final post for my study. Since July of 2016 I have been compiling a list of all your opinions and truck insights. Basically your faviourite truck and why at said given date you posted. Also a separate graph with your pros and cons of each truck brand, and the period of time between postings (how long you stick with your decisions to use your “faviourite” truck). There seem to be some trends and my final consensus simply put is rob likes whatever rob isn’t using currently, but there’s a few more insights that’s a simplified version. It might actually provide some sense in terms of skateboarding trucks and their performance based off of what you have observed. I have a friend who is a Cognitive psychotherapist writing a paper on Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy that I don’t understand at all, but he has gone over all your insights and made a report on your personality and behaviours, that you can evaluate to see how far off it is.  Obviously it might not be 100 percent accurate as there’s some details he can’t extrapolate from just this aspect of your life (personalities are complex). I’ll be posting my report to you soon and you can decide wether or not you are comfortable with me posting it in this thread. I feel I now have enough information.
/end thread

Not Local

« Reply #3278 on: March 13, 2018, 08:59:38 AM »
Here's an idea... find a set of trucks you like (don't worry if they're not Indy), keep them stock and keep them on. You might just adjust to them. It's really that simple.

However, Rob you are beyond help.

Yes! And consider all trucks get better and better as they age. Continuous switching out will fuck you up.  Grind turn, repeat over and over. Just before they die, you'll have your perfect truck.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3279 on: March 13, 2018, 10:04:46 AM »

However, Rob you are beyond help.

Theeves are about the only truck I can do this with. That being said, it’s way easier to get hyped on all the Venture & Thunder riders/marketing in comparison, so after a while you always get that pull to try the gear your favorites are skating. Plus I can’t even buy Theeves locally either and we got a nice bunch of shops where I live, so always fear that i might get stuck on them and not be able to get replacements at some point.

What’s crazy is that they actually had a pretty stacked team years ago. Ryan Gallant, Tony & Riley Hawk, a prime Dan Murphy...I imagine it’s hard to compete in the truck game when you can’t sell soft goods nearly as well as the other big three & your distribution isn’t as big. Seems like the company is staying afloat mostly through their Aussie & Asian markets.

I’m “probably” gonna end up skating mine again soon tho if the axle slip in my old ass Ventures gets worse

tangar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
  • THINK LESS
« Reply #3280 on: March 13, 2018, 11:16:38 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
I hope you are serious Rumple.
Man the long board truck thing killed indy for me. I was willing to set aside the racism, but long boarding, gtfo... - DH

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 715
« Reply #3281 on: March 13, 2018, 11:22:15 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah, I wonder, how many people would be doing all these mods if this thread didn't exist? Honestly?

I've skated for 30+ years and never heard of such effort to get some holy grail truck. I have changed some bushings out over the years here and there but only if they were gifted to me by the shop guy.

that’s real shit, i love reading this thread but all i’ve ever done to modify my trucks was to shave down the bushings to allow my front truck to be looser
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #3282 on: March 13, 2018, 05:06:56 PM »
alright, so anyway...

does anyone have feelings about forged indys? i'm so over my standard height 149s, hard conicals and want to go either a little lower (forged) or a little higher/more stable (venture or theeve)

i'm not wedded to the deep stage 11 turn, but i dont want to leave the 'carve' behind?
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3283 on: March 13, 2018, 05:25:26 PM »
alright, so anyway...

does anyone have feelings about forged indys? i'm so over my standard height 149s, hard conicals and want to go either a little lower (forged) or a little higher/more stable (venture or theeve)

i'm not wedded to the deep stage 11 turn, but i dont want to leave the 'carve' behind?

I haven't spent much time on my forged 11s, but so far I'm really liking the feel. Enough that I don't think I could go back to the standard height.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3284 on: March 13, 2018, 07:53:31 PM »
alright, so anyway...

Forged are great, the 'old' indy height of 53.5..

+1 for theeve (if you want stability on center, carvy and light, haters gonna hate) - they're not, however, tall, no matter what you read, they are lower than 55mm

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #3285 on: March 13, 2018, 08:17:55 PM »
Any of you the guy discussing truck baseplates on a chris cole instagram post?

or are there others, who haven't found their way onto slap

SirCletusIV

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3286 on: March 13, 2018, 10:26:39 PM »
So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on getting an 8.75 Powell flight board. Not the biggest fan of Powell but I'm a bigger guy (6'1, 250 lbs) and from what I hear it's the only board with technology that's not a complete gimmick when it comes to a board last longer and retaining it's stiffness. I just recently started learning about wheelbase sizes and how a taller guy like me might want a larger wheelbase size and this board coincidentally has a 15 inch wheelbase.

My question is what would be the best brand of trucks that would compliment the wheelbase size and not render it's size useless. From what I hear certain truck brands can make the wheelbase smaller because of the shape of the truck. I was really interested in trying ACE trucks but a lot of people say this will make my wheelbase size feel shorter when I'm riding it. On the flipside, I hear thunders are the opposite. So what the frick should I do people?!?!?!?!

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #3287 on: March 13, 2018, 10:53:53 PM »
So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on getting an 8.75 Powell flight board. Not the biggest fan of Powell but I'm a bigger guy (6'1, 250 lbs) and from what I hear it's the only board with technology that's not a complete gimmick when it comes to a board last longer and retaining it's stiffness. I just recently started learning about wheelbase sizes and how a taller guy like me might want a larger wheelbase size and this board coincidentally has a 15 inch wheelbase.

My question is what would be the best brand of trucks that would compliment the wheelbase size and not render it's size useless. From what I hear certain truck brands can make the wheelbase smaller because of the shape of the truck. I was really interested in trying ACE trucks but a lot of people say this will make my wheelbase size feel shorter when I'm riding it. On the flipside, I hear thunders are the opposite. So what the frick should I do people?!?!?!?!

What wheelbase are your previous boards? You sure you set on a 15 in wheelbase? Do you skate transition?

SirCletusIV

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3288 on: March 13, 2018, 11:24:11 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What wheelbase are your previous boards? You sure you set on a 15 in wheelbase? Do you skate transition?

I never looked at wheelbase when riding my previous boards. I tried looking for the wheelbase of my last board which was this pink Real James hardy board but It's older and i can't find it anywhere online let alone the specs. I try to skate everything but I would like to improve my flatground game a lot. My reasoning behind the 15 inch wheel base size is that I'm a tall guy and I heard a longer wheelbase would improve my center of gravity a bit more.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3289 on: March 14, 2018, 12:09:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I never looked at wheelbase when riding my previous boards. I tried looking for the wheelbase of my last board which was this pink Real James hardy board but It's older and i can't find it anywhere online let alone the specs. I try to skate everything but I would like to improve my flatground game a lot. My reasoning behind the 15 inch wheel base size is that I'm a tall guy and I heard a longer wheelbase would improve my center of gravity a bit more.

Most boards have a wheelbase between 14 and 14.75 inches, with the normal being about 14.25 - 14.38 ish. 15 inches is very long, it could get quite tedious for flatground. I'm a lot taller than you and I find that 14.75 is as long as I'm willing to go. While a longer wheelbase is undoubtedly more stable, it also takes a lot more effort to spin/flip etc. I would recommend you find something along the lines of a 14.75 ish wheelbase board, see if you like that, and if you do, either stick with it or then try 15 inches. Going from a standard wheelbase to 15 inches is a pretty drastic change, and could throw you off quite a bit.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:11:39 AM by tzhangdox »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3290 on: March 14, 2018, 01:12:21 AM »
Hey I’m not that crazy, I haven’t touched the other 10 pairs of trucks I have since dwindling it down to thunder and Indy’s

Truth of the matter, I think I just never had the right fit shoes thus I never had the right size deck comfortable to do tricks properly and feel safe to land and then went to play with truck setups to deal with the underlying problem which was just my shoes

I found I like my shoes snug, now I can use my whole foot and get better control, found out I like my decks 7.9-8.13, then went to trucks and found out I like overall I prefer a med skinny tall setup/52mm-55mm tall truck 8-8.25 wide, 149 trucks are good too but the weight is a little much

Currently loving my krooked 8.1, indy stg11 139, and spit classic 51mm. It so goodddd
yes

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3291 on: March 14, 2018, 01:30:55 AM »
"Hey I’m not that crazy" sounds exactly like what a crazy person would say.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3292 on: March 14, 2018, 02:18:45 AM »
welcome to the "truck set-ups" thread ! ;D

Diocletian

« Reply #3293 on: March 14, 2018, 08:21:57 AM »
Was doing some reading on metals again and realized solid titanium actually isn’t even stronger than a solid chromoly axle. I couldn’t find info on whether a hollow chromoly axle would still be stronger than a solid titanium one though. Anyone have 2 cents?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3294 on: March 14, 2018, 08:50:54 AM »
Was doing some reading on metals again and realized solid titanium actually isn’t even stronger than a solid chromoly axle. I couldn’t find info on whether a hollow chromoly axle would still be stronger than a solid titanium one though. Anyone have 2 cents?
Theeve uses 6/4 titanium alloy, never 100% titanium, its too rigid I think. More recently (last set I bought in January), they have changed all of the kingpins on the TiKing series to feature a 100% hollow steel chromoly axle instead of the old titanium ones (I know, TiKings don't actually have titanium kingpins - weird.) It is also longer than the old ones, so less clearance for grinds. I use the krux downlows on mine though.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3295 on: March 14, 2018, 10:32:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Theeve uses 6/4 titanium alloy, never 100% titanium, its too rigid I think. More recently (last set I bought in January), they have changed all of the kingpins on the TiKing series to feature a 100% hollow steel chromoly axle instead of the old titanium ones (I know, TiKings don't actually have titanium kingpins - weird.) It is also longer than the old ones, so less clearance for grinds. I use the krux downlows on mine though.

Yeah, they swapped the Ti Kingpins and the bones bushings out for cheaper production I'd imagine, the TiKings probably weren't selling due to cost. Those kinpins were light as fuck tho.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: 100
« Reply #3296 on: March 14, 2018, 10:34:39 AM »
alright, so anyway...

I actually prefer the non-forged baseplate with the hollow axle/kingpin set-up to my forged/hollows. I feel like the height allows for more pop and the stock bushings on the GT model just feel better than the stock orange in general. Full disclosure:  I skate tranny only and I'm 99% everything I typed there is in my head so take that for what it's worth.

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1152
« Reply #3297 on: March 14, 2018, 11:02:55 AM »
for me, forged indy baseplates make the board seem 'dead'... they also make a higher pitched metal noise when you're sliding against them.  im all for a little lower truck than the cast indys, but you can just drop the wheel size to lower the board.  and if you dont want to lose surface area, go for a small wide wheel. 

im skating some ti indys where i replaced the forged base with a cast base

hardly art, hardly starving

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #3298 on: March 14, 2018, 11:35:15 AM »
Yeah, they swapped the Ti Kingpins and the bones bushings out for cheaper production I'd imagine, the TiKings probably weren't selling due to cost. Those kinpins were light as fuck tho.

The bushings don't feel any different to me than bones mediums, they're just white caps instead of yellow caps.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3299 on: March 14, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »
for me, forged indy baseplates make the board seem 'dead'... they also make a higher pitched metal noise when you're sliding against them.  im all for a little lower truck than the cast indys, but you can just drop the wheel size to lower the board.  and if you dont want to lose surface area, go for a small wide wheel. 

im skating some ti indys where i replaced the forged base with a cast base

Funny, forged plates make the board feel 'tinny' to me whereas the cast plates always deaden the feel/sound =D

Size-wise, going to a smaller wheel on the cast, well, I prefer the opposite, larger wheels on the cast due to height and vice-versa on forged; that said, I don't go over 53 so the forged worked fine.