Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 293205 times)

tzhangdox

• Rep: 18
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3330 on: March 14, 2018, 01:30:55 AM »
"Hey Iím not that crazy" sounds exactly like what a crazy person would say.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 335
« Reply #3331 on: March 14, 2018, 02:18:45 AM »
welcome to the "truck set-ups" thread ! ;D

Diocletian

• Rep: 4
« Reply #3332 on: March 14, 2018, 08:21:57 AM »
Was doing some reading on metals again and realized solid titanium actually isnít even stronger than a solid chromoly axle. I couldnít find info on whether a hollow chromoly axle would still be stronger than a solid titanium one though. Anyone have 2 cents?

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #3333 on: March 14, 2018, 08:50:54 AM »
Was doing some reading on metals again and realized solid titanium actually isnít even stronger than a solid chromoly axle. I couldnít find info on whether a hollow chromoly axle would still be stronger than a solid titanium one though. Anyone have 2 cents?
Theeve uses 6/4 titanium alloy, never 100% titanium, its too rigid I think. More recently (last set I bought in January), they have changed all of the kingpins on the TiKing series to feature a 100% hollow steel chromoly axle instead of the old titanium ones (I know, TiKings don't actually have titanium kingpins - weird.) It is also longer than the old ones, so less clearance for grinds. I use the krux downlows on mine though.
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #3334 on: March 14, 2018, 10:32:01 AM »
Theeve uses 6/4 titanium alloy, never 100% titanium, its too rigid I think. More recently (last set I bought in January), they have changed all of the kingpins on the TiKing series to feature a 100% hollow steel chromoly axle instead of the old titanium ones (I know, TiKings don't actually have titanium kingpins - weird.) It is also longer than the old ones, so less clearance for grinds. I use the krux downlows on mine though.

Yeah, they swapped the Ti Kingpins and the bones bushings out for cheaper production I'd imagine, the TiKings probably weren't selling due to cost. Those kinpins were light as fuck tho.

dstrytruitt

• Rep: -4
« Reply #3335 on: March 14, 2018, 10:34:39 AM »
alright, so anyway...

does anyone have feelings about forged indys? i'm so over my standard height 149s, hard conicals and want to go either a little lower (forged) or a little higher/more stable (venture or theeve)

i'm not wedded to the deep stage 11 turn, but i dont want to leave the 'carve' behind?

I actually prefer the non-forged baseplate with the hollow axle/kingpin set-up to my forged/hollows. I feel like the height allows for more pop and the stock bushings on the GT model just feel better than the stock orange in general. Full disclosure:  I skate tranny only and I'm 99% everything I typed there is in my head so take that for what it's worth.

art hellman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 489
« Reply #3336 on: March 14, 2018, 11:02:55 AM »
for me, forged indy baseplates make the board seem 'dead'... they also make a higher pitched metal noise when you're sliding against them.  im all for a little lower truck than the cast indys, but you can just drop the wheel size to lower the board.  and if you dont want to lose surface area, go for a small wide wheel. 

im skating some ti indys where i replaced the forged base with a cast base

hardly art, hardly starving

Firebert

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -39
    • WEEKEND skateboards
« Reply #3337 on: March 14, 2018, 11:35:15 AM »
Yeah, they swapped the Ti Kingpins and the bones bushings out for cheaper production I'd imagine, the TiKings probably weren't selling due to cost. Those kinpins were light as fuck tho.

The bushings don't feel any different to me than bones mediums, they're just white caps instead of yellow caps.
I've hated immigrants ever since I got here.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 7
« Reply #3338 on: March 14, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »
for me, forged indy baseplates make the board seem 'dead'... they also make a higher pitched metal noise when you're sliding against them.  im all for a little lower truck than the cast indys, but you can just drop the wheel size to lower the board.  and if you dont want to lose surface area, go for a small wide wheel. 

Funny, forged plates make the board feel 'tinny' to me whereas the cast plates always deaden the feel/sound =D

Size-wise, going to a smaller wheel on the cast, well, I prefer the opposite, larger wheels on the cast due to height and vice-versa on forged; that said, I don't go over 53 so the forged worked fine.

rob

• Rep: -87
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3339 on: March 14, 2018, 07:01:50 PM »

Funny, forged plates make the board feel 'tinny' to me whereas the cast plates always deaden the feel/sound =D

Size-wise, going to a smaller wheel on the cast, well, I prefer the opposite, larger wheels on the cast due to height and vice-versa on forged; that said, I don't go over 53 so the forged worked fine.

Iím gonna have to agree on the deadness of forged

They lack feel, theyíre so thin and fragile feeling

I like cast cause even though theyíre not as strong and the the bolt holes eventually stretch they actually make the trucks solid and heavy feeling which gives me the feeling of it being a real skateboard thatís solid and sturdy
yes

SirCletusIV

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3340 on: March 14, 2018, 09:40:05 PM »
So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on getting an 8.75 Powell flight board. Not the biggest fan of Powell but I'm a bigger guy (6'1, 250 lbs) and from what I hear it's the only board with technology that's not a complete gimmick when it comes to a board last longer and retaining it's stiffness. I just recently started learning about wheelbase sizes and how a taller guy like me might want a larger wheelbase size and this board coincidentally has a 15 inch wheelbase.

My question is what would be the best brand of trucks that would compliment the wheelbase size and not render it's size useless. From what I hear certain truck brands can make the wheelbase smaller because of the shape of the truck. I was really interested in trying ACE trucks but a lot of people say this will make my wheelbase size feel shorter when I'm riding it. On the flipside, I hear thunders are the opposite. So what the frick should I do people?!?!?!?!

What wheelbase are your previous boards? You sure you set on a 15 in wheelbase? Do you skate transition?

I never looked at wheelbase when riding my previous boards. I tried looking for the wheelbase of my last board which was this pink Real James hardy board but It's older and i can't find it anywhere online let alone the specs. I try to skate everything but I would like to improve my flatground game a lot. My reasoning behind the 15 inch wheel base size is that I'm a tall guy and I heard a longer wheelbase would improve my center of gravity a bit more.

Most boards have a wheelbase between 14 and 14.75 inches, with the normal being about 14.25 - 14.38 ish. 15 inches is very long, it could get quite tedious for flatground. I'm a lot taller than you and I find that 14.75 is as long as I'm willing to go. While a longer wheelbase is undoubtedly more stable, it also takes a lot more effort to spin/flip etc. I would recommend you find something along the lines of a 14.75 ish wheelbase board, see if you like that, and if you do, either stick with it or then try 15 inches. Going from a standard wheelbase to 15 inches is a pretty drastic change, and could throw you off quite a bit.

Fair enough I'll look for another substitute. My problem is  I'm a heavier dude and I want something to last a while and the Powell flight boards that are my size are both 15 inch wheelbase sizes. It seems to be the only board with technology that isn't a gimmick. I was thinking that getting ace trucks could kind of diminish the wheelbase size of the board as I've heard people say they give the board a shorter feel. Idk.

tzhangdox

« Reply #3341 on: March 14, 2018, 10:08:39 PM »
So I think I'm going to pull the trigger on getting an 8.75 Powell flight board. Not the biggest fan of Powell but I'm a bigger guy (6'1, 250 lbs) and from what I hear it's the only board with technology that's not a complete gimmick when it comes to a board last longer and retaining it's stiffness. I just recently started learning about wheelbase sizes and how a taller guy like me might want a larger wheelbase size and this board coincidentally has a 15 inch wheelbase.

My question is what would be the best brand of trucks that would compliment the wheelbase size and not render it's size useless. From what I hear certain truck brands can make the wheelbase smaller because of the shape of the truck. I was really interested in trying ACE trucks but a lot of people say this will make my wheelbase size feel shorter when I'm riding it. On the flipside, I hear thunders are the opposite. So what the frick should I do people?!?!?!?!

What wheelbase are your previous boards? You sure you set on a 15 in wheelbase? Do you skate transition?

I never looked at wheelbase when riding my previous boards. I tried looking for the wheelbase of my last board which was this pink Real James hardy board but It's older and i can't find it anywhere online let alone the specs. I try to skate everything but I would like to improve my flatground game a lot. My reasoning behind the 15 inch wheel base size is that I'm a tall guy and I heard a longer wheelbase would improve my center of gravity a bit more.

Most boards have a wheelbase between 14 and 14.75 inches, with the normal being about 14.25 - 14.38 ish. 15 inches is very long, it could get quite tedious for flatground. I'm a lot taller than you and I find that 14.75 is as long as I'm willing to go. While a longer wheelbase is undoubtedly more stable, it also takes a lot more effort to spin/flip etc. I would recommend you find something along the lines of a 14.75 ish wheelbase board, see if you like that, and if you do, either stick with it or then try 15 inches. Going from a standard wheelbase to 15 inches is a pretty drastic change, and could throw you off quite a bit.

Fair enough I'll look for another substitute. My problem is  I'm a heavier dude and I want something to last a while and the Powell flight boards that are my size are both 15 inch wheelbase sizes. It seems to be the only board with technology that isn't a gimmick. I was thinking that getting ace trucks could kind of diminish the wheelbase size of the board as I've heard people say they give the board a shorter feel. Idk.

It's true, aces to diminish wheelbase, but the effect trucks have on wheelbase, unless you change from polar opposites like from Thunder to Ace/Theeve, is minimal. So aces plus the powell could actually however work with the powell 15 inch wheelbase board, making it a bit more manageable, like a 14.8 inch wheelbase board or something (don't quote me, just a random guess). So in a sense it would balance out a bit while still having a far longer than usual wheelbase.

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -186
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3342 on: March 14, 2018, 10:17:42 PM »

Iím gonna have to agree on the deadness of forged

They lack feel, theyíre so thin and fragile feeling

I like cast cause even though theyíre not as strong and the the bolt holes eventually stretch they actually make the trucks solid and heavy feeling which gives me the feeling of it being a real skateboard thatís solid and sturdy

I donít mind skating cast but I personally prefer forged. Mostly because theyíre lighter, but thatís just cuz Iím a stickler for weight.

Speaking of which, Iím back to my 149 Tiís w/ the 97 hard thunder bushings and risers. Will probably take me one bad day of wheelbite to switch back to my Theeves, but I do love the super slim hanger and how they turn & pop. The madness never ends

backinaction

• Rep: 11
« Reply #3343 on: March 14, 2018, 10:33:30 PM »

Powell shape 192 has a 14.75 wheelbase, is a shaped deck just over 9 wide, and you can get it with the Cab Ban This dragon.

The McGill shape is 8.97 and has a 14.6 wb I believe. That's an option 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 10:37:22 PM by backinaction »

SirCletusIV

« Reply #3344 on: March 14, 2018, 11:34:23 PM »

It's true, aces to diminish wheelbase, but the effect trucks have on wheelbase, unless you change from polar opposites like from Thunder to Ace/Theeve, is minimal. So aces plus the powell could actually however work with the powell 15 inch wheelbase board, making it a bit more manageable, like a 14.8 inch wheelbase board or something (don't quote me, just a random guess). So in a sense it would balance out a bit while still having a far longer than usual wheelbase.

I hope so. Like i said, i don't have a lot of options being a bigger guy and i hate getting mushy boards after the first week of skating so for right now powell flight boards seem to be my best bet. I'll just have to take a chance and see if can still keep my flatground game with a 15 inch wheelbase board with aces.

SirCletusIV

« Reply #3345 on: March 14, 2018, 11:38:49 PM »

Powell shape 192 has a 14.75 wheelbase, is a shaped deck just over 9 wide, and you can get it with the Cab Ban This dragon.

The McGill shape is 8.97 and has a 14.6 wb I believe. That's an option

I saw the cab ban this dragon one and it looks sick but It's not in stock yet. Plus going from an 8.5 to a 9.25 is a huge leap.

I looked at the McGill one but i don't know if that thing is gonna be good for street or not. It'd be cool if it was but that nose looks pretty angular

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #3346 on: March 15, 2018, 12:56:22 AM »

I hope so. Like i said, i don't have a lot of options being a bigger guy and i hate getting mushy boards after the first week of skating so for right now powell flight boards seem to be my best bet. I'll just have to take a chance and see if can still keep my flatground game with a 15 inch wheelbase board with aces.

What trucks are you riding now?

hey pickle

• Rep: -30
« Reply #3347 on: March 16, 2018, 07:20:20 AM »
Two questions regarding ventures:

Do Indy aftermarket barrel bushings fit venture his flush

Does anyone know when those new venture raws are out in Europe

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 47
« Reply #3348 on: March 16, 2018, 08:59:06 AM »
Two questions regarding ventures:

Do Indy aftermarket barrel bushings fit venture his flush

Does anyone know when those new venture raws are out in Europe

Yes

Not me

nosneb

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3349 on: March 16, 2018, 04:22:01 PM »
I tried it myself and Indy bottom bushing a slighter taller than venture bushings.

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3350 on: March 16, 2018, 06:08:05 PM »
Update on my indy 139 stg 11 forged hollows

Theyíre actually really decently good trucks, the forged donít feel as great out the gate like the cast, that broken in truck/board feeling and you gotta kinda adjust the way you do your tricks but overall not bad

Forged are definitely lighter and worth it if your willing to get adjusted rather than have that classic broken in feel of the cast normal Indy
yes

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #3351 on: March 16, 2018, 07:08:28 PM »

Theyíre actually really decently good trucks, the forged donít feel as great out the gate like the cast, that broken in truck/board feeling and you gotta kinda adjust the way you do your tricks but overall not bad

Forged are definitely lighter and worth it if your willing to get adjusted rather than have that classic broken in feel of the cast normal Indy

That dull sensation is the only downside to the forged plates.. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for that mid-height indy!

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3352 on: March 16, 2018, 11:28:59 PM »

That dull sensation is the only downside to the forged plates.. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for that mid-height indy!

Yeah Iím hoping for that classic 53.5mm height but stage 11 turn and stability to it

Just got the new ace 44 or as they call it on the sites the ace ďclassicsĒ and so far idk, they feel kinda clunky, like that whole dead sound and feeling, I guess itís the softer metal but this is only speculation from rolling and popping a nollie and Ollie or 2

The bushings are really nice though

Might stick to Indyís, scored a sweet powerful perfect pop styles Ollie over a small gap cruising home from work that felt so good I knew I was missing out on the Indy hype cause of my shoes all along, my lots of toe room no board feel shoes!!

Also I keep my trucks stock, stock geo and all that crap cause the madness gets worse if Iím tweaking like some of you guys thinking a new pivot cup and 2 different bushings on each truck is gonna get me to that dream setup, itís just gonna make me super crazy truck guy rather than just crazy truck guy
yes

fang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #3353 on: March 17, 2018, 06:36:45 AM »
Hey Iím not that crazy, I havenít touched the other 10 pairs of trucks I have since dwindling it down to thunder and Indyís

Truth of the matter, I think I just never had the right fit shoes thus I never had the right size deck comfortable to do tricks properly and feel safe to land and then went to play with truck setups to deal with the underlying problem which was just my shoes

I found I like my shoes snug, now I can use my whole foot and get better control, found out I like my decks 7.9-8.13, then went to trucks and found out I like overall I prefer a med skinny tall setup/52mm-55mm tall truck 8-8.25 wide, 149 trucks are good too but the weight is a little much

Currently loving my krooked 8.1, indy stg11 139, and spit classic 51mm. It so goodddd

Back when shoes were hella padded, I'd wear a full size up. Since shoes slimmed down I have to try everything on and hate it
GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG ! GANG !

Not Local

• Rep: 9
« Reply #3354 on: March 17, 2018, 10:50:23 AM »
You relapsed? Acknowledge and label your condition. Don't feel ashamed. Its another stage in your recovery. Then for fucksake, get a set of trucks and grind them down to axle before any more 'experimentation.' Gall Bless You.

Yeah Iím hoping for that classic 53.5mm height but stage 11 turn and stability to it

Just got the new ace 44 or as they call it on the sites the ace ďclassicsĒ and so far idk, they feel kinda clunky, like that whole dead sound and feeling, I guess itís the softer metal but this is only speculation from rolling and popping a nollie and Ollie or 2

Might stick to Indyís, scored a sweet powerful perfect pop styles Ollie over a small gap cruising home from work that felt so good I knew I was missing out on the Indy hype cause of my shoes all along, my lots of toe room no board feel shoes!!

Also I keep my trucks stock, stock geo and all that crap cause the madness gets worse if Iím tweaking like some of you guys thinking a new pivot cup and 2 different bushings on each truck is gonna get me to that dream setup, itís just gonna make me super crazy truck guy rather than just crazy truck guy

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3355 on: March 17, 2018, 10:59:26 AM »
Hey Iím not that crazy, I havenít touched the other 10 pairs of trucks I have since dwindling it down to thunder and Indyís

Truth of the matter, I think I just never had the right fit shoes thus I never had the right size deck comfortable to do tricks properly and feel safe to land and then went to play with truck setups to deal with the underlying problem which was just my shoes

I found I like my shoes snug, now I can use my whole foot and get better control, found out I like my decks 7.9-8.13, then went to trucks and found out I like overall I prefer a med skinny tall setup/52mm-55mm tall truck 8-8.25 wide, 149 trucks are good too but the weight is a little much

Currently loving my krooked 8.1, indy stg11 139, and spit classic 51mm. It so goodddd

Back when shoes were hella padded, I'd wear a full size up. Since shoes slimmed down I have to try everything on and hate it

Ahah yeah shoes were nice and pillows on the feet coated with tank armor so they actually lasted 4-6 months of heavy skating

Exactly!! I hate it! For the last 3-4 years I was thinking yeah Iím definitely a firm size 10, then recently skating some gt blazers my girl got me in a size 9 cause trying them on I was like ehh they actually fit and are a nice snug but not with some room like my usual but Iíll try them, boom turns out Iím a size 9/8.5 this whole time cause my skating improved drastically!!

Boardfeel was actually a thing, you know when you get that sweet spot feeling setting up to do a trick but sometimes the result is different from what you had feeling trying the trick having that sweet feel that you were totally gonna lock it in and do it with such finess and style, yeah I had a lot of that with bigger shoes and failing when I would think Iím feeling this Ollie  over the gap and pop a rocket to bail, or a sweet kick flip and primo, and grinds felt way rocked back and forth

So yeah, actually feet boardfeel=right board size for control=just having trucks that work with the way you control on the board

You relapsed? Acknowledge and label your condition. Don't feel ashamed. Its another stage in your recovery. Then for fucksake, get a set of trucks and grind them down to axle before any more 'experimentation.' Gall Bless You.

I aknowledge and coming to a nice recovery, gall bless you too SLAP brother
yes

rob

• Lance Mountain
« Reply #3356 on: March 18, 2018, 03:14:30 PM »
Okay so the soft metal on the ace trucks takes almost no time to get use to

Theyíre actually really nice trucks

Compared to Indy they donít turn as smoothly but they do carve as much but in turn for smooth they react quick like a thunder and act stable like a thunder

They feel nice for tre flips and feel type tricks but straight tricks like kick flips and heel flips take some adjusting

Overall in my opinion I like them a lot, might go back to Indy though cause idk, Indyís feel great out the gate even when you arenít warmed up and stretched Indy just flow but weíll see, these ace arenít bad at all. Definitely top 3

The ace feel like a carvy turny thunder, to me, And this is with the stock bushings which if you didnít see in the ace trucks thread itís a different Duro top and bottom stock they got going on
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 665
« Reply #3357 on: March 18, 2018, 04:02:11 PM »
to me a thunder and Aces are polar opposite trucks....the only thing they have in common is they aren't indys.

Mongoloid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 287
  • Oozing Machismo
« Reply #3358 on: March 18, 2018, 05:24:45 PM »
Okay so the soft metal on the ace trucks takes almost no time to get use to

Theyíre actually really nice trucks

Compared to Indy they donít turn as smoothly but they do carve as much but in turn for smooth they react quick like a thunder and act stable like a thunder

They feel nice for tre flips and feel type tricks but straight tricks like kick flips and heel flips take some adjusting

Overall in my opinion I like them a lot, might go back to Indy though cause idk, Indyís feel great out the gate even when you arenít warmed up and stretched Indy just flow but weíll see, these ace arenít bad at all. Definitely top 3

The ace feel like a carvy turny thunder, to me, And this is with the stock bushings which if you didnít see in the ace trucks thread itís a different Duro top and bottom stock they got going on

You know.. I never thought I'd say this, but I totally wholeheartedly agree with this.

I have amazing kickflips with Thunders, but I can't seem to figure them out decently with Ace's. When I do them often times I end up turning frontside.
I wouldn't even try to aquire an elephant that would be mad selfish I don't have the means to give him a comfortable life

tzhangdox

« Reply #3359 on: March 18, 2018, 05:35:48 PM »
to me a thunder and Aces are polar opposite trucks....the only thing they have in common is they aren't indys.

^This