Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1220841 times)

drinny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 22
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #3330 on: March 21, 2018, 04:38:48 AM »
What hardness are the purple bushings in regular Venture 5.25 high these days? DLX distribution I think.

On a fresh pair, real good but sometimes want an extra bit of late compress turn in pools. Not sure whether to experiment with harder or softer.... I ride... medium-tight? No flippy-floppy and probably tighter than I used to since getting back into it this year (I'm 43 lol).

drinny

« Reply #3331 on: March 21, 2018, 04:42:12 AM »
Shoe madness is the real killer for life... trying to transition from well worn Accel OG's and remembering leading foot a bit thinner than back, always get a shifting/gappy feel at some point soon as that initial suede stiff support lapses.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3332 on: March 21, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »
perfect fit shoes madness is in my brain too now, thanks rob ! ;)

Thankfully this one is easy, Nike, DC and Most non-pro vans fit me perfectly (wide toe box) and no jamming my foot towards the front due to my foot sliding forward, something The Kwalks do to me.

Everything else out there is too narrow.

full of jerks

• Rep: -33
« Reply #3333 on: March 21, 2018, 07:06:35 PM »
If you go back on Ronnie Creager's Instagram he has a bunch of picks of Pro's setups with detailed descriptions of which part, what size etc.  Good stuff to nerd out over.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ZA6UCDpOQg/?hl=en&taken-by=ronniecreager

FS-OverKOOK

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #3334 on: March 21, 2018, 10:38:03 PM »
If you go back on Ronnie Creager's Instagram he has a bunch of picks of Pro's setups with detailed descriptions of which part, what size etc.  Good stuff to nerd out over.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ZA6UCDpOQg/?hl=en&taken-by=ronniecreager
so he's saying its a 8.25 with 139s and it appears that the axle is wider than the deck?? I'm guessing those are 149s. I have 149s on a 8.5 and the axle is slightly under the deck and with a 8.25 I would guess the axle would slightly protrude.

drinny

« Reply #3335 on: March 24, 2018, 02:45:19 AM »
Reckon the wheels are flush, perfect IMO just the angle making them look over. I never get why so many ride with a board way overhanging tiny trucks.... Maybe a magic carpet feeling or enjoy the sensation of losing all grip on sharp turns :/

Either way as someone else said upthread Venture need to make those 5.8 v-hollows exist again. Raw please (graphics on trucks so off-putting).

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 348
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3336 on: March 24, 2018, 02:51:37 AM »
that pic screams 149s for sure

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3337 on: March 27, 2018, 06:16:27 PM »
Watch out guys, looks like tensor made a new truck that’s basically to me looks like a taller thunder(hangar shape) with Indy style baseplates(the front and how it sticks out for slides) and thunder style bushings

As much as you think ima try a set, nahhhh

I’m hooked on the ace/indy train
yes

micky682

« Reply #3338 on: March 28, 2018, 06:57:08 AM »
This winter is messing with my bushings.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3339 on: March 28, 2018, 09:14:09 PM »
The longer I have been on SLAP the wider my set-up has become. Side effect? Anyway, I have an 8" set up with stage 9 139 Indy's that I really don't want to skate anymore, but I wanted to see if the base plate could be used on my stage 11 149 hanger for my 8.5 to lighten the load a tad. Sure enough, the stage 11 hanger fits perfectly on the stage 9 base plate. Also, the stage 11 base plate with stage 9 hanger measures exactly 53.5, which indicates to me that the additional height in the Stage 11 comes from the hanger. Also, was reading skateboardingismylifetimesport and one of the guys was raving about mini logo trucks and said they only measure 47.5. This seems crazy low, but maybe the added balance of a lower truck would actually cause less wheel bite even though the wheels are closer to the board. Anyone into mini logo trucks?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3340 on: March 28, 2018, 10:04:54 PM »
Watch out guys, looks like tensor made a new truck that’s basically to me looks like a taller thunder(hangar shape) with Indy style baseplates(the front and how it sticks out for slides) and thunder style bushings

they doing it in magnesium? 

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #3341 on: March 28, 2018, 11:42:43 PM »
The longer I have been on SLAP the wider my set-up has become. Side effect? Anyway, I have an 8" set up with stage 9 139 Indy's that I really don't want to skate anymore, but I wanted to see if the base plate could be used on my stage 11 149 hanger for my 8.5 to lighten the load a tad. Sure enough, the stage 11 hanger fits perfectly on the stage 9 base plate. Also, the stage 11 base plate with stage 9 hanger measures exactly 53.5, which indicates to me that the additional height in the Stage 11 comes from the hanger. Also, was reading skateboardingismylifetimesport and one of the guys was raving about mini logo trucks and said they only measure 47.5. This seems crazy low, but maybe the added balance of a lower truck would actually cause less wheel bite even though the wheels are closer to the board. Anyone into mini logo trucks?

On my 8” mini logos I use up to a 52 wheel and am ok with the wheel bite. On my 8.38 I am running 55s and have risers bringing them up to 53.2 mm. I prefer them to my Indys. The grind is smoother and the angle at the edge of the hanger does help lock in.

I have  ML 8 and 8.38,   Indy stage 8 146 and 11 159 hollow, thunder 147 hollow light, royal 5.5 inverted and G&S currently built up. Favorite is ML 8.38. They could use a little more kingpin clearance, but that’s my only beef.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:44:40 PM by backinaction »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3342 on: March 29, 2018, 12:27:05 AM »

Haven’t ridden my sets in a while(have the 8” and 8.38”) but last I remember they felt niceeeee, just I didn’t like how they weren’t solid cause of the hollowed out baseplate making it such an adjustment for me on manuals, but they are definitely worth a try especially for the price. They are excellent beginner price point trucks. They have control like a thunder but carve almost like an Indy it’s crazy, the lower center of gravity does help with flat ground a lot

Expand Quote

[close]

Ahaha yeah as usual, the tensor standard is magnesium over titanium

Also I know I asked this before but seriously, which side of the barrel bushings should touch the hangar? The flat sharp edge side with rings on the surface or the smooth round edged flat side?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 12:29:25 AM by rob »
yes

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #3343 on: March 29, 2018, 04:47:03 AM »
Info on the new tesnors - https://tensortrucks.com/

Reinforced hanger, same height as standard Indy's, revised geometry, etc.  People hate on tensors but their quality is top notch since they released the 10's

drinny

« Reply #3344 on: March 29, 2018, 05:49:40 AM »
Look weird (ok less weird than previously, but at least that was an identity....) mix of not-quite Thunder/Venture/misc.

I'd be curious to see them in real life, at least they do a full wide range. Wonder what the wheelbase is like compared to V's

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3345 on: March 29, 2018, 05:50:00 AM »
Expand Quote

Rob is the Bubblegum Tate of trucks...
[close]

Haven’t ridden my sets in a while(have the 8” and 8.38”) but last I remember they felt niceeeee, just I didn’t like how they weren’t solid cause of the hollowed out baseplate making it such an adjustment for me on manuals, but they are definitely worth a try especially for the price. They are excellent beginner price point trucks. They have control like a thunder but carve almost like an Indy it’s crazy, the lower center of gravity does help with flat ground a lot

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ahaha yeah as usual, the tensor standard is magnesium over titanium

Also I know I asked this before but seriously, which side of the barrel bushings should touch the hangar? The flat sharp edge side with rings on the surface or the smooth round edged flat side?

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #3346 on: March 29, 2018, 10:19:25 AM »

DaSk8D00D

• Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #3347 on: March 29, 2018, 03:11:07 PM »
Info on the new tesnors - https://tensortrucks.com/

Reinforced hanger, same height as standard Indy's, revised geometry, etc.  People hate on tensors but their quality is top notch since they released the 10's

I can't front these are actually kind of interesting, although they still kind of have that "wal-mart board" look to them.

Kind of maddening that TENSOR of all brands can afford to make hollow axle/kingpin trucks for the 8.25-8.5+ range but Venture won't. They bullshitting.

Diocletian

« Reply #3348 on: March 29, 2018, 09:37:35 PM »
I never dreamt the day would come that Tensor would get thrown in the mix of a new truck to try out to satisfy the madness. Not visually appealing but the turning geometry, height, and bushings are. Think they’ll turn like an ace???

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #3349 on: March 30, 2018, 12:12:52 AM »
They've had trucks other than lows for a minute now but nobody ever took the time to try them. Ive been skating these new high ones in 151 size for about two weeks. They turn more like a venture does, stable and precise. They extend your wheelbase but not quiet as much as ventures do, like in between thunder and venture. They are extremely light but the magnesium ones are a little more unforgiving and "tin" sounding. You can really feel the surface you are skating on they don't dampen very much. The magnesium slides and grinds really well its really fun, especially to slappy curbs and such or slappy crooked grinds. They wear down about three times as fast as normal trucks and are expensive, but they are a legitimately unique experience. It would be difficult to skate mag ones all the time you would need new trucks about every month or two. I haven't tried the aluminum ones. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #3350 on: March 30, 2018, 10:33:06 AM »
They've had trucks other than lows for a minute now but nobody ever took the time to try them. Ive been skating these new high ones in 151 size for about two weeks. They turn more like a venture does, stable and precise. They extend your wheelbase but not quiet as much as ventures do, like in between thunder and venture. They are extremely light but the magnesium ones are a little more unforgiving and "tin" sounding. You can really feel the surface you are skating on they don't dampen very much. The magnesium slides and grinds really well its really fun, especially to slappy curbs and such or slappy crooked grinds. They wear down about three times as fast as normal trucks and are expensive, but they are a legitimately unique experience. It would be difficult to skate mag ones all the time you would need new trucks about every month or two. I haven't tried the aluminum ones.

How do you ride, tight or loose?

Sad Hippo

« Reply #3351 on: March 30, 2018, 11:28:40 AM »
Look at the axle is in comparison to where the baseplate holes are. They do not extend the wheelbase.  Tensors were always some of the shortest when it came to wheelbase deviation, shorter than indy at least.  He probably doesn't have them, and has no idea what he's talking about.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3352 on: March 30, 2018, 01:21:46 PM »
I'm sure they've changed but Rodney engineered the truck not to carve...but to provide some lateral movement for balance.....I remember Haslam skating the hi's and being way more stoked when he got on Indy in how they turned.....we can talk about this...but it's just madness.....I guess though if you are looking for light trucks that grind great...these could be the ones.

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #3353 on: March 30, 2018, 01:49:24 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Look at the axle is in comparison to where the baseplate holes are. They do not extend the wheelbase.  Tensors were always some of the shortest when it came to wheelbase deviation, shorter than indy at least.  He probably doesn't have them, and has no idea what he's talking about.

I always skated the tensor regs, I pre ordered these in November when they announced them to shops. They came in mid March. Been skating them for two weeks now. They turn similar to ventures in my opinion. Maybe they don’t extend the wheelbase I could be wrong, but they feel similar to ventures they are not at all surfy like ace or like Indy. Buy them and try them and feel free to form your own opinion. In that photo the axle is forward towards the front mounting holes, so do you know what you are talking about?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:47:49 PM by RumpelFoarskin »

RumpelFoarskin

« Reply #3354 on: March 30, 2018, 04:39:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

How do you ride, tight or loose?
Medium-loose, but I am 210lbs. I’m using the stock bushings with bones top washers instead of regular washers. The stock bushings are pretty stiff but perfect for me.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:26:42 PM by RumpelFoarskin »

rob

• SLAP Pal
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #3355 on: March 31, 2018, 01:56:58 AM »
I’ve had both the low and reg 10’s aluminum

They’re not good trucks, trust me

I'm sure they've changed but Rodney engineered the truck not to carve...but to provide some lateral movement for balance.....I remember Haslam skating the hi's and being way more stoked when he got on Indy in how they turned.....we can talk about this...but it's just madness.....I guess though if you are looking for light trucks that grind great...these could be the ones.

I can tell why, I swapped the tensor Regs back to my indy standard stg11 144 and damn it was a dream, free feeling carvy turning

The tensor aren’t that bad but they are definitely not good, I don’t get how zered rips riding them. Maybe cause the bones bushings make it a tad more bearable

I can’t decide between ace or Indy but so far I kinda like how Indy’s feel more smooth and solid, the ace were rockin but idk...I kinda miss the way the latest indy turn but I love the way ace feel, they feel so classic working trucks that just do what they were meant for, skating and tricks

But yeah, Indy’s feel better for rolling around free roaming here and there
yes

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3356 on: March 31, 2018, 07:56:05 AM »
Yah someone mentioned that Tensors turn kinda like ventures.....I could see that for sure.  I sort of judge how trucks turn based on just carving around on street and a frontside carve in a bowled corner...

Indy is just a good stable predictable turn....it's a nice broad circle....Ace's are nice and stable and then they hook sharply....that's why I say they are the opposites of thunders which turn sharply then bottom out.  Aces are super fun though....

doublesteveburger

« Reply #3357 on: April 02, 2018, 07:57:52 PM »
Been skating thunders for about a two months now and never had I had trucks cause wheelbite more than these things. Straight to my wrists every time, such a pain in the ass. Can't wait to get a pair of indy's again.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3358 on: April 02, 2018, 10:52:39 PM »
Been skating thunders for about a two months now and never had I had trucks cause wheelbite more than these things. Straight to my wrists every time, such a pain in the ass. Can't wait to get a pair of indy's again.

kinda interesting to see someone on here who doesn’t like thunders. I don’t like them either but have kept mum about it. they seem to not turn at all and then suddenly jerk to the side. that’s thunder “stability” and “turn.” I prefer even krux over thunders.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:54:18 PM by ChuckRamone »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #3359 on: April 02, 2018, 11:18:56 PM »
stick some risers on them?

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year